Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#579350 - 02/03/20 06:40 PM [User Showcase] The Million Star Hotel
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

This song began with the phrase "dead reckoning"
Cambridge Dictionary:"a way of calculating the position of a ship or aircraft using only information about the direction and distance it has travelled from a known point"
Replace "ship or aircraft" with most of us and that seems a good description of how we travel through life.
The title line I stumbled on from a travel website... not original, but fair game for an alert songwriter!

The Million Star Hotel

Style is _APPLES.STY (Apples Even-16 Americana Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 2877:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 2667:Pedal Steel, Background DreamySingleNote Ev 075
RealTracks in style: 3159:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsBrentFX Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 3058:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterAlternating8thsQuinn Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RT 1596 Acoustic guitar
RealDrums [in style:AmericanaRoots16th^01-a:Toms, b:Snare
RT 3156 Fiddle5string
RT3023 vocal oohs

The Million Star Hotel

danger don`t go there
on charts you can`t rely
stay home hang a picture
in your little box of sky

sit by the window
in the land of watch and wait
for a ship sails back roads
as your breath on the glass fades

there`s that loner
leaning into the wind
try to read on his face
the map of all he`s seen
by dead reckoning he travels
under heaven`s spell
tonight he`ll sleep
in the million star hotel

doubt gives a last shiver
compass reads magnetic south
city folds around you
hold course through crowds

in a prairie night ocean
lost in wonder sea grass
a coyote circles
wild eyes on your trespass

there`s that loner
leaning into the wind
try to read on his face
the map of all he`s seen
by dead reckoning he travels
under heaven`s spell
tonight he`ll sleep

feel the motion
moving at the speed of hope
destination hidden
eye on the sky hand on the rope
by dead reckoning we travel
under heaven`s spell
all we know is we sleep

© Robert Cordrey Jan. 2020

#579363 - 02/03/20 08:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Super visual Robert. Cool vocal and harmonies. Loved the backtrack

#579365 - 02/03/20 08:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Evocative lyrics - you're a very poetic writer. The pedal steel does a good job setting the tone, as does your voice.

A very enjoyable listen! laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#579384 - 02/04/20 03:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Love the way you write! Man, just one great line after another.

Nice use of the pedal steel, it really sets the mood early on, and nice harmonies in the chorus.

Enjoyed this one.

#579417 - 02/04/20 09:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert,

Cool.

Your unique, picturesque lyric style...your impassioned vocal...the steel...the harmonies - all high points in this one.

Neat title! (Dead Reckoning would make a good one, too!!)

Enjoyed.

fj

#579438 - 02/04/20 01:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Veteran

Loc: Maryland
coyote, wild eyes on your trespass. That was my favorite line. Also breath on the glass fades. Very Updike to me.

This felt a little more like a song rather than poetry set to music. Good production.

I'm a big fan, as I think you know.

#579447 - 02/04/20 03:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Wonderful song! Very good composition and mix... and I really, really like the lyrics. Passages like this:

"doubt gives a last shiver
city folds around you
hold course through crowds"

...is just so poetic. Love it!

Really well done job!

Edited because I need to ask: Is there really a hotel called that?

Thanks for sharing,
Will

Edited by Will Josef (02/04/20 03:50 PM)

#579454 - 02/04/20 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: BlueAttitude]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Super visual Robert. Cool vocal and harmonies. Loved the backtrack

Thank you, Scott...backing has those sustained notes on pedal steel I mentioned to you.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Evocative lyrics - you're a very poetic writer. The pedal steel does a good job setting the tone, as does your voice.

A very enjoyable listen! laugh

David,
I appreciate that!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Love the way you write! Man, just one great line after another.

Nice use of the pedal steel, it really sets the mood early on, and nice harmonies in the chorus.

Enjoyed this one.

Dave,
Thank you! I scribbled more and threw away more lines than usual for this one- its very encouraging to hear you liked what`s left.

Robert

#579479 - 02/04/20 09:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Wonderful lyric. The backing is very effective and well put together. Everything sounds good, and the whole package takes me on a mental and emotional journey that will likely be different next time I hear this. And I will.
BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#579498 - 02/05/20 03:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
rayc Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Cooran Queensland Australia
I can't decide if your songs are perfect for sipping whiskey, cannabis or a mountain retreat.
Lovely narrative and melody.
Mentioning dead reckoning in proximity to and million stars struck me as a little odd - but I think I already had a sextant in my mind.
Lovely stuff.

#579520 - 02/05/20 07:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
BabuMusic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Dallas, PA, USA
Wonderful lyrics, and a enjoyable delivery, Robert. Perfect arrangement to bring out the mood.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub

My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 10

#579534 - 02/05/20 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Rustyspoon# Online   content
Veteran

Robert,
There are tunes that plug you in like a appliance to outlet, there are tunes that are done well, but far from emotional state, there are some that are bursting with fine detail like insane kaleidoscope.
I do not worry about those things when listening to your songs. I just fall back and enjoy. Robert, beautiful tune. Everything shines, especially lyrics and vocals.This was a treat to my ears and mind. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#579545 - 02/05/20 09:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Love the lyrics! So poetic, they stand on their own.

Very nice!

Steve

#579555 - 02/05/20 10:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Expert

Loc: Illinois
Conjures up all sorts of wonderful earth images.
Well done!

https://sites.google.com/view/captainmoto-com/home?authuser=0

#579567 - 02/05/20 12:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Seems very lonely & desolate to me...
Good vocals, backing, lyrics, & delivery...
But if given a choice...
I rather not spend a night
in that "million star hotel" smile

#579599 - 02/05/20 03:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Will Josef]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

Cool.

Your unique, picturesque lyric style...your impassioned vocal...the steel...the harmonies - all high points in this one.

Neat title! (Dead Reckoning would make a good one, too!!)

Enjoyed.

fj

Thanks for your comments,Floyd.
Until the day before I posted, the song was called "Dead Reckoning"... the last line just seemed more sparkly!
And now I can still use the original title for a gunslingers` shootout song or something.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
coyote, wild eyes on your trespass. That was my favorite line. Also breath on the glass fades. Very Updike to me.

This felt a little more like a song rather than poetry set to music. Good production.

I'm a big fan, as I think you know.

Thanks for those very kind comments.
On this song I wrote the melody before I had more than a few lines of lyrics... just saying; I`m wordy there`s no doubt, but hardly ever have lyrics done before I think of the music.

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wonderful song! Very good composition and mix... and I really, really like the lyrics. Passages like this:

"doubt gives a last shiver
city folds around you
hold course through crowds"

...is just so poetic. Love it!

Really well done job!

Edited because I need to ask: Is there really a hotel called that?

Thanks for sharing,
Will

Will,
I don`t know where that hotel is... I`ve stayed in a few the owners overrated that much though!
Thanks very much for saying the lyrics connected with you- its encouraging to hear that.

Robert

#579661 - 02/06/20 09:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Back in the early 90's when we started listening to a lot
of Americana several of our favorite artists formed a
company called Dead Reckoning...

So nowadays we are listening to Americana style music on the
forum...cool.

The poetry is wonderful and the emotive vocal captures,
along with the band, the feeling of motion as the tune
progresses.

Janice's comment, "As always wonderful imagery!"

Indeed.

Topped off with a very nice mix also.

Nice!

J&B

#579682 - 02/06/20 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Robert, you are a poet turned lyricist, and you have mastered that!

Great backing tracks, excellent vocals, but man those outstanding lyrics did it for me.

Outstanding work Robert.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware

#579720 - 02/06/20 03:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Wonderful lyric. The backing is very effective and well put together. Everything sounds good, and the whole package takes me on a mental and emotional journey that will likely be different next time I hear this. And I will.

I`m glad you enjoyed the journey!

Originally Posted By: rayc
I can't decide if your songs are perfect for sipping whiskey, cannabis or a mountain retreat.
Lovely narrative and melody.
Mentioning dead reckoning in proximity to and million stars struck me as a little odd - but I think I already had a sextant in my mind.
Lovely stuff.

I don`t know much about sipping whisky-those other things you mentioned quite a bit!
I was counting on some sailor to notice that, strictly speaking, stars aren`t involved in dead reckoning...and that most landlubbers like me think "winging it" when they hear the phrase.
Thanks for your always interesting comments.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Wonderful lyrics, and a enjoyable delivery, Robert. Perfect arrangement to bring out the mood.

I appreciate your listen!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Robert,
There are tunes that plug you in like a appliance to outlet, there are tunes that are done well, but far from emotional state, there are some that are bursting with fine detail like insane kaleidoscope.
I do not worry about those things when listening to your songs. I just fall back and enjoy. Robert, beautiful tune. Everything shines, especially lyrics and vocals.This was a treat to my ears and mind. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha,
Wow! If I every write album notes I`d like to use these great comments... and to think someone can actually relate to my "insane kaleidoscope" has made my day and then some.

Robert

#579745 - 02/06/20 07:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert

Certainly musically one of your best - great sound, mix and melody with very nice harmonies.
Lyrics as always a stand out.

Excellent.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Getting To Know Your Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows®

Have you received the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows®, and you'd like to learn more about the newest features?

There are a few different resources available to you!

In the program there is a "2023 NEW Features" button that offers quick access to the newest features explanations and tutorials.

We offer video tutorials explaining the new version as well as breaking down specific features. You can access these on our YouTube Channel, or here on our Website on the Support | Videos pages.

There are detailed program manuals available on our Online Manuals page that explains just the New Features in the Upgrade Manual, or combines all the features of the program in our Full Manual. Prefer to access a PDF of the manuals instead? They're available on our Online Manuals page too!

Our Forums are also a great way to learn about the newest features! Not only will you see our videos shared there, you'll join an active community of friendly and knowledgeable program users happy to answer questions and help out!

Of course, you can always ask our team directly too!

It's the Last Weekend to Save Up To 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Upgrades!

Hurry - our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 special ends this Sunday, January 15th at 11:59 pm PST!

Order before then and save up to 50% off your Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade and receive a Free Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows adds over 70 new features and amazing new content to the Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available. If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Last Chance to Save Up To 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Upgrades!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 special ends this Sunday, January 15th! Order by then and save up to 50% off your Band-in-a-Box 2023 Upgrade and receive a Free Bonus PAK full of great new Add-ons!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows adds over 70 new features and amazing new content to the Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows Special is Extended to January 15, 2023

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows special with up to 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases has been extended to January 15, 2023!

Plus, there is a Free Bonus PAK automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

XPro and Xtra Styles PAKs Special Extended to January 15, 2023!

We've extended the XPro and Xtra Styles PAKS special offers to January 15, 2023!

We're offering XPro Styles PAKs 1-4 and Xtra Styles PAKs 1-15 for just $29 each (reg $49)!

Treat yourself to 100 brand new RealStyles for country, bluegrass, jazz, funk, rock, and pop with the new XPro Styles PAK 4 for Band-in-a-Box® 2022, but why stop there? The new Xtra Styles PAKs 14 & 15 include 17 MultiStyle groups and 200 new styles for Rock, Pop, Jazz, and Country, as well as genres like '80s glam rock, rockabilly, big band, space rock, metal, funk, and more!

Learn more about XPro Styles PAKs and order now.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and order now.

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2023: Artist Performance Set 13: Songs with Vocals 3

Learn all about the 25 Songs with Vocals added to our Band-in-a-Box Add-ons with Artist Performance Set 13: Songs with Vocals 3! Band-in-a-Box® 2023: Songs with Vocals 3

This included in the Band-in-a-Box 2023 Free Bonus PAK!

Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows - 'Twas the Click Before Christmas!

Order any version of Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows and receive your download key right away for use with our One-Click Installer, but don't wait too long... our Band-in-a-Box® 2023 for Windows special ends December 31st!

Order now to add over 70 new features and amazing new content to your Band-in-a-Box® collection, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Song with Vocals" Artist Performances, XPro Styles PAK 4, Xtra Styles PAK 14 & 15, Playable RealTracks Set 2, Playable RealDrums Set 1, 2 new sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

It's a great time to order, with up to 50% off Band-in-a-Box® 2023 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2022!

Plus, there is a Free Bonus PAK automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2023 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2023 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Forum Stats
37071 Members
64 Forums
77071 Topics
683090 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
KK83, CB22, NewCity Paradise, mikeshean11, Dougyboy

37071 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
musocity 182
MarioD 158
Matt Finley 154
AudioTrack 146
Bass Thumper 136
MusicStudent 128
rayc 101
B.D.Thomas 96
Jim Fogle 95
Janice & Bud 93
Today's Birthdays
brassauditions, EddieV, glauber, Holly, MyZone1958, PLS, Tobin - PG Music Inc.