Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#579350 - 02/03/20 06:40 PM [User Showcase] The Million Star Hotel
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

This song began with the phrase "dead reckoning"
Cambridge Dictionary:"a way of calculating the position of a ship or aircraft using only information about the direction and distance it has travelled from a known point"
Replace "ship or aircraft" with most of us and that seems a good description of how we travel through life.
The title line I stumbled on from a travel website... not original, but fair game for an alert songwriter!

The Million Star Hotel

Style is _APPLES.STY (Apples Even-16 Americana Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 2877:Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 2667:Pedal Steel, Background DreamySingleNote Ev 075
RealTracks in style: 3159:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsBrentFX Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 3058:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterAlternating8thsQuinn Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RT 1596 Acoustic guitar
RealDrums [in style:AmericanaRoots16th^01-a:Toms, b:Snare
RT 3156 Fiddle5string
RT3023 vocal oohs

The Million Star Hotel

danger don`t go there
on charts you can`t rely
stay home hang a picture
in your little box of sky

sit by the window
in the land of watch and wait
for a ship sails back roads
as your breath on the glass fades

there`s that loner
leaning into the wind
try to read on his face
the map of all he`s seen
by dead reckoning he travels
under heaven`s spell
tonight he`ll sleep
in the million star hotel

doubt gives a last shiver
compass reads magnetic south
city folds around you
hold course through crowds

in a prairie night ocean
lost in wonder sea grass
a coyote circles
wild eyes on your trespass

there`s that loner
leaning into the wind
try to read on his face
the map of all he`s seen
by dead reckoning he travels
under heaven`s spell
tonight he`ll sleep

feel the motion
moving at the speed of hope
destination hidden
eye on the sky hand on the rope
by dead reckoning we travel
under heaven`s spell
all we know is we sleep

© Robert Cordrey Jan. 2020

#579363 - 02/03/20 08:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Super visual Robert. Cool vocal and harmonies. Loved the backtrack

#579365 - 02/03/20 08:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Evocative lyrics - you're a very poetic writer. The pedal steel does a good job setting the tone, as does your voice.

A very enjoyable listen! laugh

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#579384 - 02/04/20 03:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Love the way you write! Man, just one great line after another.

Nice use of the pedal steel, it really sets the mood early on, and nice harmonies in the chorus.

Enjoyed this one.

Blue Attitude Website

#579417 - 02/04/20 09:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert,

Cool.

Your unique, picturesque lyric style...your impassioned vocal...the steel...the harmonies - all high points in this one.

Neat title! (Dead Reckoning would make a good one, too!!)

Enjoyed.

fj

#579438 - 02/04/20 01:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
coyote, wild eyes on your trespass. That was my favorite line. Also breath on the glass fades. Very Updike to me.

This felt a little more like a song rather than poetry set to music. Good production.

I'm a big fan, as I think you know.

#579447 - 02/04/20 03:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Denmark
Will Josef Offline
Expert

Loc: Denmark
Wonderful song! Very good composition and mix... and I really, really like the lyrics. Passages like this:

"doubt gives a last shiver
city folds around you
hold course through crowds"

...is just so poetic. Love it!

Really well done job!

Edited because I need to ask: Is there really a hotel called that?

Thanks for sharing,
Will

Edited by Will Josef (02/04/20 03:50 PM)

#579454 - 02/04/20 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: BlueAttitude]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Super visual Robert. Cool vocal and harmonies. Loved the backtrack

Thank you, Scott...backing has those sustained notes on pedal steel I mentioned to you.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Evocative lyrics - you're a very poetic writer. The pedal steel does a good job setting the tone, as does your voice.

A very enjoyable listen! laugh

David,
I appreciate that!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Love the way you write! Man, just one great line after another.

Nice use of the pedal steel, it really sets the mood early on, and nice harmonies in the chorus.

Enjoyed this one.

Dave,
Thank you! I scribbled more and threw away more lines than usual for this one- its very encouraging to hear you liked what`s left.

Robert

#579479 - 02/04/20 09:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Tangmo Offline
Expert

Wonderful lyric. The backing is very effective and well put together. Everything sounds good, and the whole package takes me on a mental and emotional journey that will likely be different next time I hear this. And I will.
BIAB 2020 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground

#579498 - 02/05/20 03:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
I can't decide if your songs are perfect for sipping whiskey, cannabis or a mountain retreat.
Lovely narrative and melody.
Mentioning dead reckoning in proximity to and million stars struck me as a little odd - but I think I already had a sextant in my mind.
Lovely stuff.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#579520 - 02/05/20 07:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
BabuMusic Offline
Journeyman

Wonderful lyrics, and a enjoyable delivery, Robert. Perfect arrangement to bring out the mood.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#579534 - 02/05/20 08:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

Robert,
There are tunes that plug you in like a appliance to outlet, there are tunes that are done well, but far from emotional state, there are some that are bursting with fine detail like insane kaleidoscope.
I do not worry about those things when listening to your songs. I just fall back and enjoy. Robert, beautiful tune. Everything shines, especially lyrics and vocals.This was a treat to my ears and mind. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#579545 - 02/05/20 09:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Love the lyrics! So poetic, they stand on their own.

Very nice!

Steve

#579555 - 02/05/20 10:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Illinois
CaptainMoto Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Illinois
Conjures up all sorts of wonderful earth images.
Well done!

#579567 - 02/05/20 12:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Texas
Jim Offline
Expert

Loc: Texas
Seems very lonely & desolate to me...
Good vocals, backing, lyrics, & delivery...
But if given a choice...
I rather not spend a night
in that "million star hotel" smile

#579599 - 02/05/20 03:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Will Josef]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

Cool.

Your unique, picturesque lyric style...your impassioned vocal...the steel...the harmonies - all high points in this one.

Neat title! (Dead Reckoning would make a good one, too!!)

Enjoyed.

fj

Thanks for your comments,Floyd.
Until the day before I posted, the song was called "Dead Reckoning"... the last line just seemed more sparkly!
And now I can still use the original title for a gunslingers` shootout song or something.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
coyote, wild eyes on your trespass. That was my favorite line. Also breath on the glass fades. Very Updike to me.

This felt a little more like a song rather than poetry set to music. Good production.

I'm a big fan, as I think you know.

Thanks for those very kind comments.
On this song I wrote the melody before I had more than a few lines of lyrics... just saying; I`m wordy there`s no doubt, but hardly ever have lyrics done before I think of the music.

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wonderful song! Very good composition and mix... and I really, really like the lyrics. Passages like this:

"doubt gives a last shiver
city folds around you
hold course through crowds"

...is just so poetic. Love it!

Really well done job!

Edited because I need to ask: Is there really a hotel called that?

Thanks for sharing,
Will

Will,
I don`t know where that hotel is... I`ve stayed in a few the owners overrated that much though!
Thanks very much for saying the lyrics connected with you- its encouraging to hear that.

Robert

#579661 - 02/06/20 09:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Back in the early 90's when we started listening to a lot
of Americana several of our favorite artists formed a
company called Dead Reckoning...

So nowadays we are listening to Americana style music on the
forum...cool.

The poetry is wonderful and the emotive vocal captures,
along with the band, the feeling of motion as the tune
progresses.

Janice's comment, "As always wonderful imagery!"

Indeed.

Topped off with a very nice mix also.

Nice!

J&B

#579682 - 02/06/20 12:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Robert, you are a poet turned lyricist, and you have mastered that!

Great backing tracks, excellent vocals, but man those outstanding lyrics did it for me.

Outstanding work Robert.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#579720 - 02/06/20 03:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Rustyspoon#]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Wonderful lyric. The backing is very effective and well put together. Everything sounds good, and the whole package takes me on a mental and emotional journey that will likely be different next time I hear this. And I will.

I`m glad you enjoyed the journey!

Originally Posted By: rayc
I can't decide if your songs are perfect for sipping whiskey, cannabis or a mountain retreat.
Lovely narrative and melody.
Mentioning dead reckoning in proximity to and million stars struck me as a little odd - but I think I already had a sextant in my mind.
Lovely stuff.

I don`t know much about sipping whisky-those other things you mentioned quite a bit!
I was counting on some sailor to notice that, strictly speaking, stars aren`t involved in dead reckoning...and that most landlubbers like me think "winging it" when they hear the phrase.
Thanks for your always interesting comments.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Wonderful lyrics, and a enjoyable delivery, Robert. Perfect arrangement to bring out the mood.

I appreciate your listen!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Robert,
There are tunes that plug you in like a appliance to outlet, there are tunes that are done well, but far from emotional state, there are some that are bursting with fine detail like insane kaleidoscope.
I do not worry about those things when listening to your songs. I just fall back and enjoy. Robert, beautiful tune. Everything shines, especially lyrics and vocals.This was a treat to my ears and mind. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha,
Wow! If I every write album notes I`d like to use these great comments... and to think someone can actually relate to my "insane kaleidoscope" has made my day and then some.

Robert

#579745 - 02/06/20 07:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Million Star Hotel [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert

Certainly musically one of your best - great sound, mix and melody with very nice harmonies.
Lyrics as always a stand out.

Excellent.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
How-to Video: Section Text labels and Lyrics

Check out our special YouTube Channel, PG Music Inc. Support Videos, which is where we share videos our support team makes at the request of a customer, or to help out an existing customer issue.

The latest video, Band-in-a-Box How to: Section Text labels and Lyrics quickly walks you through section text labels and lyrics in Band-in-a-Box for Windows! Watch now...

Want to see a specific video? Share your request here.

#TipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

We never stop here at PG Music, so make sure that you check in on your installation of Band-in-a-Box® occasionally - we frequently release free patch updates to enhance existing versions, and fix 'bugs' reported by program users.

Windows program updates can be found here. We have a separate page for Mac updates, here.

You can also setup Band-in-a-Box® to check for updates automatically! Head to the Preferences window in the program, and select "Automatically check for updates every [__] days" (choose your number).

Not sure which "build" you have? Help | About... will bring up a window that will show your exact version number!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Bundle!

Have you heard? We have NEW Band-in-a-Box Add-ons!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 and Loops-with-Style PAK 2 will SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition!

200 NEW RealStyles have been added with Xtra Styles PAK 9 - 50 Rock-Pop, 50 Jazz, 50 Country, and 50 Folk & Beyond 2!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 100 NEW Loops and 50 NEW styles, and adds 2 new genres to our Loops-with-Style collection: gospel and funk!

Bundle both the Xtra Styles PAK 9 and Loops-with-Style PAK 2 into one convenient purchase, only $48 until June 30th! Click here to choose your purchase.

Mac user? Click here for your order links.

RealBand 2020 for Windows Updated Harmonies Feature!

The latest RealBand 2020 Update includes enhancements to the harmonies feature, improvements for audio recording, and more!

Click here to review and download this free update patch (build 4).

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9 Overview & Demos

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes 200 NEW RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and Folk & Beyond!

There are 50 new RealStyles for each genre, with MultiStyles included in each genre too!

Learn more about loading and using Xtra Styles PAK 9 in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for the 200 new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 9 with our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Xtra Styles PAK 9: Overview & Demos.

Add Xtra Styles PAK 9 to your band for just $29 until June 30th! Order here.

Windows user? Click here for Windows purchase links and details.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 Updated!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2020 has been updated with a small Free Update Patch that can be downloaded here.

Video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 is packed with 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles, including new gospel & folk categories!

Use these new Styles and Loops directly in your Band-in-a-Box® songs to access all their B substyle loops, or load these acidized loops directly into your DAW that supports acid info!

See how easy it is to load and use these Loops in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 and listen to the demos for these new Loops & Styles when you watch our latest video: Band-in-a-Box® - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 Overview & Demos.

Add Loops-with-Style PAK 2 today for just $19! Learn more and purchase here.

Haven't purchased Loops-with-Styles yet? Get the entire collection for only $29 when you bundle Loops-with-Style PAK 1 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for only $29! That's 100 Styles and 200 Loops for Band-in-a-Box® for just $29! Order now.

Mac user? Click here for Mac purchase links and details.

Forum Stats
32234 Members
65 Forums
64441 Topics
546465 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
RookAG, vertoe, copcoteraelena, DeeGreen, Saveloy

32234 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 215
VideoTrack 161