Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I think you should give Tracktion 7 a go. Entirely free.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Matt, My stereo file editor has been Sound Forge ever since it first came out of the old Sonic Foundry Company that developed the ACiID loop program. I’ve stuck with it through its ownership by Sony and now Magix. They are in version 13 at the moment and it’s evolved into something way beyond its initial focus as a stereo file editor but even though it is now a multiTrack DAW, it still boots up as a stereo file initially. It’s always been very stable.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Keith, I only have version 10. I’ll look at the new version; thanks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Matt, how have you been? Like you, I was a LONG time user of Cool Edit Pro, 1999, and all the way through until Audition started doing the subscription-based stuff a few years back. One of my main reasons for dropping Adobe after so long was that I wanted to get hot and heavy into MIDI and it kind of lacked in that area. At the time I was reading the Recording Revolution a lot and loved Graham's video demonstrations in his preferred DAW, Pro Tools. I started using the free version (Pro Tools First) to see if I liked it while I was still subscribing to Adobe. Since Graham had so many videos and tutorials in Pro Tools, I started picking it up a lot faster than I thought I would. I dumped Adobe and haven't looked back since. The first couple of years I used it, I did the subscription thing. Last fall I purchased a perpetual license since I'm not a big fan of subscription. I get a year of software updates and then I just keep the software for myself as long as I want.

So at the least Matt, give Pro Tools First a try to see if you like it. Aside from a lot of good editing features, I do love all their default plugins, very good quality. Also, all of those free Focusrite plugins we get from our hardware and all the Ozone ones work really good in the DAW.

Good luck hunting!

P.S. - The Pro Tools audio editor is very similar to multitrack mode in Adobe. To edit a single track like you would in single track mode in Adobe, you simply just grab and stretch the track you want to edit so it fills the screen.

Last edited by sslechta; 02/15/20 04:07 PM.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love audacity. However, I’m not too sure what you need to do on “stereo editing”.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
HI Joanne

Audacity can be used in stereo just select stereo recording see pic.
You then get l&R meters for record and playback
And stereo tracks, is this what you mean?
Mike

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Audacity.jpg (275.37 KB, 118 downloads)

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
Matt, My stereo file editor has been Sound Forge ever since it first came out of the old Sonic Foundry Company that developed the ACiID loop program.

I used to use Sound Forge many years ago (along with ACID Music from Sonic Foundry), didn't realize it was still around.

Does it have the ability to easily punch in audio in the middle of a track? The ability to easily punch in is the main reason I've stuck with Audition 1.5 all these years, Audition does punch in's way better than Reaper.

Maybe I'll just download the demo and try it out, the price is certainly reasonable.

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 02/16/20 05:08 AM. Reason: removed comment about Studio One
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps it's better to be quiet and appear ignorant than to open one's mouth and confirm it...but smile

From start to finish with our productions I never see a need for any kind of "editor" other than my DAW, Logic Pro X. Guess I'm missing something...for which there is ample precedent.

I will use Amadaus Pro to listen to song files and on occasion convert formats.

Bud

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Guess I'm missing something...for which there is ample precedent.

Bud

Probably the best way to explain things is to point out that when digital recording first appeared, the work flow was to do the mixing in the DAW and the pre mastering in a stereo editor. As time went on, the existing DAWs began adding features found in Stereo Editors and the Stereo Editors started turning into DAWs. If you didn’t pay attention to the gradual evolution to common features it’s easy to understand why you would scratch your head about why someone would still include both a DAW and a stereo editor in their work flow.

One aspect of Sound Forge that has kept me in the Stereo Editor fold is the surgical precision that the software can cut at the zero crossing on a wave form. Back when I was doing a lot of my editing on a TASCAM 788, I struggled with the pops that occurred when you cut and paste together digital recordings. There was an epiphany for me when I discovered that the solution to the pops was to make your cuts at the zero point of a wave form and to put them together at cuts where the pasted waveform continues the progression across the zero line.

Knowing that, and finding software with the required resolution to consistently pull off the cuts and pasted was the problem. All software lets you look at waveforms and cut them but I’ve not found anything that does it with the precision of Sound Forge. My pre mastering workflow has also gotten tied in a big was to SF.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Years ago, I found a wave editor called WAVEPAD.... not to be confused with wavelab.

Wavepad is a free audio editor by NCH. Once the free trial expires you can elect to either buy the full version or continue to use it in a dialed back limited mode.

It easily does conversion from wave to mp3, removes the ending and start silence, it can insert silence at the start and it can normalize and do a number of other functions that I don't need, and all that from the limited mode.

It's not big and fancy, (maybe the full version is...IDK) but it does what I need.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
KeithS's post mentioned using TASCAM hardware. That reminded me TASCAM offers a free high resolution DSD and PCM editor. It's available from both the US and International TASCAM websites. +++ HERE +++ is a link to the US website. From the website:
Quote:
TASCAM Hi-Res Editor is a new, free application for Windows and Macintosh computers, that plays and edits up to 11.2MHz DSD or 384kHz WAV files. The software allows playback and export of DSD files without converting to PCM audio. This app is available now as a free download for Windows and Mac. Ideal for users of TASCAM’s hi-resolution recorders like the DA-3000, TASCAM's Hi-Res Editor is one of the only ways to edit native DSD master recordings.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
tascam_hi-res_editor_main.jpg (52.68 KB, 61 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Bud, “Master a group? How the heck do you do that?”[

When you Master an album you do it as a group so that the songs all seem to have the same flow, relative volume levels. I never viewed a song as mastered, I mix a song, I master a group of songs for release. I guess it falls under the category potato patawto, or is it tomato tawmawto? Can’t remember

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
With Tracktion the precise need to cut at a zero crossing is eliminated with very simple non destructive fading of many different types plus full access to all of your VST plugins on clips, tracks and output bus.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Non-destructive has some appeal. I’ve been living dangerously all these decades.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Bud, “Master a group? How the heck do you do that?”[

When you Master an album you do it as a group so that the songs all seem to have the same flow, relative volume levels. I never viewed a song as mastered, I mix a song, I master a group of songs for release. I guess it falls under the category potato patawto, or is it tomato tawmawto? Can’t remember

Interesting. When I master I use a lot of different fx settings per song with the exception of “loudness” for which I approximate 13-14 LUFS for all songs. Otherwise I used different configurations based on each song. No way, for example, could I see using the same multi band compressor settings (and other mastering fx) for all the songs in an album project.

A big ole FWIW!

Bud

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,594
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193