Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi.

I suspect this one is very specific to my system as BiaB 2019 installed sweetly on my laptop. On the Mac Pro (running 10.14.6), my main music station, not so much.

It installs fine but when I start it up it hangs on the ioreg process (shows up in the Activity Monitor) and BiaB goes "not responding". I've clean install, rebooted, changed the permissions to root, but nothing is working.

Any one got ideas?

TIA

.. mark.

.. mark.
(BiaB 2020 Mac; macOS 10.14.6; MacPro 5,1 56Gb 2xHex-Xeon RX580)
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
and a picture may help? This using the DAW version which shows most clearly BiaB getting stuck, but the same happens for the 64- and 32-bit versions

.. mark.
Expert
Expert
What version of 2019? How did you install and where? Please be complete. Which Mac Pro do you have?

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Sorry for the lack of detail.

It is the latest BiaB 2019 Mac Pro with the 317 update installed. I am attempting running it on a Mac Pro mid-2010 (5,1) running 10.14.6 (2x3.33 6-core Xeon with 24Gb memory).

As mentioned, it is getting hung up looking at system resources (ioreg does that) but I can't imagine what is causing the issue. I know it works fine on my Macbook Pro running the same software. Perhaps something in the ioreg output is causing it issues? Just a guess...

.. mark.

.. mark.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Mark,

Are you saying that the Band-in-a-Box (desktop) application does not boot up at all on that system?

Can you please create the following file:

/Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Data/WriteBootupLog.txt

Then try running Band-in-a-Box again and post the contents of BootupLog.txt found in that same location.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Hi, Andrew.

Thanks for your reply!

Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music

Are you saying that the Band-in-a-Box (desktop) application does not boot up at all on that system?

It boots, but it hangs, and the main window never appears. The only way out is to force quit the process.
Quote:
Can you please create the following file:

Then try running Band-in-a-Box again and post the contents of BootupLog.txt found in that same location.

Here it is
Code:
/Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Data/BootupLog.txt= Log file of bootup times. Paste into Excel for best viewing
LogThis: Start of this:         InitCompleted. MainLoop started [8-2-20 12:33:14] [ms since LogStart(boot)=     0       ],\
 since last LogThis function =  0

Not so helpful...

I tried starting BiaB manually to see if there is anything showing on the terminal:

Code:
$ ./Band-in-a-Box-x64 --help
SUPPORT_ELASTIQUE_V3
Elastique version = 3.3.0
RBActive=false
ATTEMP TO ACCESS gMainWindForm BEFORE IT IS MADE!
[1]    18535 terminated  ./Band-in-a-Box-x64 --help

top shows the BiaB process firing up a shell to run ioreg, then grepping the results, but it never seems to return from that trip, at least on my machine. As mentioned, I suspect it might have something to do with this machine's setup, but it is hard to know just what might be "broken".

Any insights you have would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

.. mark.

.. mark.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Bumping this thread. I still got nothing...

Last edited by mark5009; 02/12/20 12:49 PM.

.. mark.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Hi.

Complete wipe, reinstall, restart, turn off external IO, BiaB 2019 Mac still hangs running on this mac. Still barfing on a grep of ioreg info (attached).

Really appreciate if someone can help me out here. Getting frustrated...

System info:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 24 GB
Boot ROM Version: 144.0.0.0.0

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
ioreg.txt (151.54 KB, 3 downloads)
ioreg.txt

.. mark.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If you put a file called safemode.txt in the Preferences folder, does Band-in-a-Box run?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: mark5009
Sorry for the lack of detail.

It is the latest BiaB 2019 Mac Pro with the 317 update installed. I am attempting running it on a Mac Pro mid-2010 (5,1) running 10.14.6 (2x3.33 6-core Xeon with 24Gb memory).

As mentioned, it is getting hung up looking at system resources (ioreg does that) but I can't imagine what is causing the issue. I know it works fine on my Macbook Pro running the same software. Perhaps something in the ioreg output is causing it issues? Just a guess...

.. mark.

Please describe your exact process when you installed and fired it up for the first time. Leave nothing out.

I may know the problem but I'm only guessing till I see it. If I'm right, it's a bug and I know the workaround.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Hi, Andrew.

If you put a file called safemode.txt in the Preferences folder, does Band-in-a-Box run?

Nope. Unless I got it wrong

Code:
14:48 (swift)$ pwd
/Applications/Band-in-a-Box/Preferences
14:49 (swift)$ ll
total 8
-rwxrwxrwx  1 mark  staff  85 14 Feb 18:43 AboutPrefsFolder.txt*
-rw-r--r--  1 mark  staff   0 15 Feb 14:41 safemode.txt

Same issue occurs...

.. mark.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Hi, Mike.

Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran

Please describe your exact process when you installed and fired it up for the first time. Leave nothing out.

I may know the problem but I'm only guessing till I see it. If I'm right, it's a bug and I know the workaround.

It was a vanilla install: download files, install in order, enter permissions as needed.

Files installed this latest time in order (I didn't bother with the 317 update as it seems to make no difference to this issue).

Code:
bandinabox_2019_pro.pkg		
realtracks_pro_3.dmg
realtracks_pro_2.dmg		
realtracks_pro_3.dmg
realtracks_pro_4.dmg

Then start the application and watch it bounce, not to come back...

There is quite a lot of other audio applications on this machine, plus plugins and the like, but they also exist on my laptop and that hasn't got this issue (it installed cleanly)

.. mark.
Expert
Expert
Hey Mark,
I'm running almost the same setup here, with the exception of upgraded processors and video card (I've got a 5,1 w/ 2X 3.46 GHz, and a 7970 GPU), and I don't have any similar issues.

It's kind of a long shot, but I'm curious... have you upgraded to a metal compatible GPU, or are you still running the stock 5770 ?
I know from dabbling with a couple of Hackintosh builds I've been involved with, that sometimes the graphics card can cause some ioreg funkiness in Mojave.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: mark5009

Hi, Mike.

It was a vanilla install: download files, install in order, enter permissions as needed.

Files installed this latest time in order (I didn't bother with the 317 update as it seems to make no difference to this issue).

Code:
bandinabox_2019_pro.pkg		
realtracks_pro_3.dmg
realtracks_pro_2.dmg		
realtracks_pro_3.dmg
realtracks_pro_4.dmg

Then start the application and watch it bounce, not to come back...

There is quite a lot of other audio applications on this machine, plus plugins and the like, but they also exist on my laptop and that hasn't got this issue (it installed cleanly)

Is everything installed on the System/boot drive or have you installed your Real Tracks and Drums onto a different drive or?

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Hi, Jay.

Originally Posted By: JayO
Hey Mark,
I'm running almost the same setup here, with the exception of upgraded processors and video card (I've got a 5,1 w/ 2X 3.46 GHz, and a 7970 GPU), and I don't have any similar issues.

It's kind of a long shot, but I'm curious... have you upgraded to a metal compatible GPU, or are you still running the stock 5770 ?
I know from dabbling with a couple of Hackintosh builds I've been involved with, that sometimes the graphics card can cause some ioreg funkiness in Mojave.

Huh. That's interesting. I also do some video work on this box and it has an upgraded GPU, a Radeon RX580

Code:
Chipset Model:	Radeon RX 580
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  Slot:	Slot-2
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	8 GB
  Vendor:	AMD (0x1002)
  Device ID:	0x67df
  Revision ID:	0x00e7
  Metal:	Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

My issue could be related to that (entries do exist in the ioreg tree). Hard to know without knowing just what the PG Music devs are looking for with that grep on ioreg.

For me ripping out the video card is not really an option, not even for BiaB

.. mark.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hi, Mike.

Is everything installed on the System/boot drive or have you installed your Real Tracks and Drums onto a different drive or?

At this stage it is all vanilla with everything on the boot drive (a 256Gb SSD). My plan was to off load tracks and drums at a later stage.

.. mark.
Expert
Expert
Hey Mark,
Well I quickly threw the stock 5770 back in my machine just now and confirmed that BIAB does in fact launch, although I really didn't test it much.
Possibly if you have the stock card you could try it temporarily, just for troubleshooting purposes to see if BIAB launches.

Although I'm not really sure if that could be the problem at this point.
My 7970 is basically an RX380, which the same basic architecture as yours, albeit a lower tier card.

I wasn't sure if you were running an Nvidia card (with those web drivers that change every week). crazy

Like I said it was kind of a long shot, but I figured I'd ask.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully the PG folks will be able to come up with something.

- Jay

MacPro 5,1/12 core@3.46GHz -- OS X 10.14.6 -- ATI 7970 -- 32 Gig RAM -- Crucial 500GB OS SSD -- Samsung EVO 1TB Audio/Sample SSD -- BIAB 2023 -- Logic Pro X -- Cubase Elements 11 -- Too many plugins
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Hi, Jay.

Originally Posted By: JayO
Hey Mark,
Well I quickly threw the stock 5770 back in my machine just now and confirmed that BIAB does in fact launch, although I really didn't test it much.
Possibly if you have the stock card you could try it temporarily, just for troubleshooting purposes to see if BIAB launches.

Not sure where the stock card is anymore, but I'll go searching (thought I was over this kind of thing. Oh well.)

I deliberately avoided the NVIDIA cards for just that reason, though the RX580 is a generic rather than Mac-boot card: a lot cheaper that way though it might cause this issue. I've got no idea of what the PG Music guys are doing spawning a shell to run up ioreg but I guess it si happening for a reason. Just wish someone who knows would fill in the dots... :-/

Thanks again

.. mark.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Nope. Is there any way of finding out what the grep is looking for so I can check it? There will be a regexp or similar that it is barfing on...

Some thoughts: this has all the hallmarks of ancient code that "just works" and now nobody seems to know what it is there for. I can't think of any reason to spawn a shell to do this kind of thing. And it certainly won't be in the Win code base. So, as part of the coming together has this been looked at?

TIA,

.. mark.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Hi, all.

Just to cap this thread, after quite a lot of effort on their parts, the BiaB team (thanks Andrew!) found the problem and provided a fix (apparently the issue is a bug in 3rd party code) that will, I believe, be rolled into the general release. Hooray!

Qudos to the team, and many thanks from me for getting BiaB working.

.. mark.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195