Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Countin' The Blues

Nearly 100 years ago Ma Rainey wrote and recorded Countin’ The Blues. It is now in the public domain world wide thus we own all rights to this arrangement per forum posting protocol.

It’s difficult to understand why over all these years virtually nobody else has recorded the song. One would think it would’ve become a blues classic. I guess all the heavy hitters were too busy mining the Robert Johnson catalog smile

We took her lyric and arranged it with a new melody (by Janice) while hoping to retain the emotion of the original. Ma Rainey was a complex lady whose life was at times care free and defiant or sad. The lyrics may initially seem obtuse but with our research they became more and more illustrative of her life. Many of the references are to the names of her other songs or to places where she apparently performed. But it gets deeper. Boll Weevil was a song she wrote that referenced the insect that changed so many lives in the south by destroying cotton crops. She also wrote about Moonshine and the troubles it brought her. Jailhouse is thought to reference the time she spent incarcerated supposedly for bi-sexuality.

Ultimately she was a survivor during a time that had to be extraordinarily difficult for an African-American woman (the last verse appears to allude to this but leaves one wondering about the ambiguity). We hope we did the song justice.

Big thanks to Peter. He provided us with multiple great guitar track styles to choose from. Ultimately we all agreed to use a dual recording of Fender Peter and Gibson Peter. BTW, Janice said her vocal tag came from Buddy Guy. Bud said, well, OK. smile

We thank you for listening and appreciate comments!

Tech/track stuff:

Janice - Vocal: Rodes NT1 mic > Scarlett 212 > Logic Pro EQ > CLA Vocals
Peter - guitar solos and fills: whatever the man does smile
Bass: RT 564 Blues Monday Sw 065 > Logic Pro EQ > Waves Bass Rider > CLA Bass
Rhythm Guitar: RT 565 Blues Monday Sw 065 > EMT 140 Reverb sim
Piano: MIDI SuperTrack 2848 BluesSlow128Mike Sw 065 > CLA Unplugged
Drum kit: RD BluesMondaySw8 > CLA Drums (hi-hat volume shaped down 6db)
Snare: Neutron 2 > EMT 140 Reverb sim
(Neutron masking on bass/drums & rhythm guitar/piano)

DAW: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Logic EQ > Waves LinMB > Waves L2 > Ozone Tonal Balance > YouLean Loudness Meter

Countin' The Blues
© 2020 Trad Arr B. Merritt, J. Merritt & P. Fulham
PD lyric by Ma Rainey

Layin' in bed this mornin' with my face turned to the wall
Layin' in bed this mornin' with my face turned to the wall
Trying to count these blues so I could sing 'em all

Memphis, Rampart, Beale Street set 'em free
Memphis, Rampart, Beale Street set 'em free
Graveyard, 'Bama Bound, Lord, Lord, come from Stingaree

Lord, ‘rested at midnight, jailhouse made me lose my mind
Lord, ‘rested at midnight, jailhouse made me lose my mind
Bad Luck ’n Boll Weevil made me think of old Moonshine

Lord, goin' to sleep now for mama just got bad news
Lord, goin' to sleep now for mama just got bad news
To try to dream away my troubles, countin' these blues

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man!!! You guys absolutely nailed this one!

You had me hooked right from that super cool intro with the dual guitars (excellent work from Peter) and then Janice comes in ... WOW!

Just superb, one of my favorite vocals from her. The was she phases the second "lose my mind" ... just about made me lose MY mind smile Just great phrasing, passion, and tone throughout.

Love the mix and arrangement.

Well done Bud, Janice, and Peter!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Bud,

Gee, that's a impressing one you made! And that from a 100 year old song!
This won't be forgotten now, that's for sure.
All (instruments and vocals) sound so impressing. It's like you're sitting in the same room as you played in! Enjoyed it very much and I believe I will not be the only one (with Dave). My compliments about how you did this.

It's also nice you've counted the Blues Babu was looking for in his song 'How many Blues'. I think you helped him a lot.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It just keeps getting better. We aren't even into the 1930's.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

You had me hooked right from that super cool intro with the dual guitars (excellent work from Peter) and then Janice comes in ... WOW!

Just superb, one of my favorite vocals from her. The was she phases the second "lose my mind" ... just about made me lose MY mind smile Just great phrasing, passion, and tone throughout.

Thanks Dave
Loved that phrase by Janice as well, and I especially liked the ending. It's always great to play on these tracks.
Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

That is very generous of you Dave and coming from a blues man it is even more special to us! You put a BIG smile of appreciation on Janice’s face.

Thanks!

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This is stunning. Congratulations to all, but ... with all my immense respect to everyone else, Janice's voice is what makes this track (in my humble view, of course!). Perfect tone, timbre, sound ... what can I say? Superb job. Sad and uplifting at the same time. The guitars are also the perfect match for the voice in their solos. And that last note!!!

An excellent effort!!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The guitars remind me of The Thrill Is Gone from the Domino soundtrack.
The BIAB band is really well sorted...the cymbal crashes all the way to the bottom of the bass is sppot on.
If Peter is the icing and the band is the batter then Janice must be the jam in this blues cake.
LOVELY stuff on all levels.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice, Bud & Peter,

This is outstanding... I'm blown away by how you all have re-imagined this song.

The vocal, production and guitar tracks blend seamlessly to make this an instant classic here on the forum or anywhere.

Love the cover art as well!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ahhhhhh turns to awe. Excellent production!! What a great way to start the day. Thanks!!!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B + Peter.
Gorgeous blues tune! To my taste, one of the strongest songs I heard by your team. I can start pulling things and mention various parts, but that will be "ears" talking, in my heart there is nothing more to say except CONGRATULATIONS! Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

P.S. I am sure Ma is approving and smiling smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice and Bud,

All (instruments and vocals) sound so impressing. It's like you're sitting in the same room as you played in! Enjoyed it very much and I believe I will not be the only one (with Dave). My compliments about how you did this.

It's also nice you've counted the Blues Babu was looking for in his song 'How many Blues'. I think you helped him a lot.

Hans

Thank you Hans. And we are happy that you got a live band feel from it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hey, this is some great cool blues y'all!

cool

Note: I am taking a different approach to getting re-involved and stay involved with the forum after a business-related absence. I listen to the forum in the background while I am writing and working, just to enjoy all the songs. Then, I will go to each one on a separate occasion and post the equivalent of a “Love It”—my version of a like. That is why all my comments might come at the same time, though I could have listened days ago.
This is the best way I know to stay caught up. If I feel I have to listen one song at a time and then offer a critique it makes my brain shut down. I just want to enjoy them—like I am listening to the radio.
If I post any new songs in the future, it will just be as a “radio” post—hope you enjoy it. If you do, that is cool. There is no need to post a lengthy comment.
I have been listening in my absence and all the new stuff sounds great. This will be attached to all my messages for a few weeks or a month until my new method is understood. Thanks!!

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
It just keeps getting better. We aren't even into the 1930's.

Thanks Ed. There’s a world of great material in the PD for sure.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome blues. Love the two different tones and panning Peter used on the guitar parts. Just a beautiful vocal Janice.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice,is too bad that the author couldn't be around to hear you sing her song. As usual, your vocals brings alive anything you sing. Great arrangement all around.
Thanks!

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17
This is stunning. Congratulations to all, but ... with all my immense respect to everyone else, Janice's voice is what makes this track (in my humble view, of course!). Perfect tone, timbre, sound ... what can I say? Superb job. Sad and uplifting at the same time. The guitars are also the perfect match for the voice in their solos. And that last note!!!

An excellent effort!!!

Thanks for mentioning that last note. It caught me (Bud) by surprise when we were recording. And, if I may brag on her, it was her usual two takes and I’m done smile

We appreciate your support.

J&B

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi all

Excellent mix and another superb vocal, Janice. What a gifted interpreter of the blues you are!

I was also taken (very pleasantly) by surprise by that final note. Wow.

Peter's guitar playing is OK, too (just kidding, my friend - excellent as per usual).

My (now) second favourite version of this song is the one Ma Rainey recorded with Louis Armstrong, which features some lovely playing by him.

Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice and Bud,

Hans

Thanks Hans Bud certainly has a way of making clear engaging mixes.
Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm just back to listen again.
The analysis and discussion of the lyric is great AND you didn't throw a spoiler in either - you've left the majority to be as impressionistic and evocative as the best blues always is.
The melody magic applied to those words is very cool.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195