Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
J
John F Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
I am trying to configure my BIAB2018 to record MIDI from a Casio Synth keyboard. I set it for ASIO, selected the Synth for input, headsets for output and selected the MELODY track. All I'm trying to do is record a simple intro for a song I have created. I can hear the song thru my headsets and the piano keyboard thru the synth's sound output. I can see that I am connecting to the onboard keyboard when I test for sound, but I am not getting any visual recording levels, consequently, when I record there is nothing there. I went thru the basic same setup in RB but can't get anything there either, only the MIDI track shows. When it tries to convert the MIDI to Audio, there is nothing on the Audio track. I will record on either BIAB or RT depending on which one is easier to configure and work with. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I think I followed the video tutorial to the letter, but there are some things it doesn't address. Is there a better tutorial somewhere?

Music is what feelings sound like.

Windows 11, Behringer UMC204HD Audio Interface, BIAB/RB 2022 Ultra Pak Plus
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Is there a better tutorial somewhere?

I don't know which one you watched so far, but

Sounds like you want to record the audio output from your keyboards.
In either BiaB or RB this would be found in Options-Prefs .. and making sure your audio signal is (physically) getting from the keyboard to the computer interface.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Which Casio keyboard do you have. The newer ones are straight USB connections, whereas the older ones use 5-pin DIN cables, which would connect nicely into your Behringer.

It isn't clear from your post whether you are actually trying to just record the MIDI notes outputted from the keyboard, or the actually audio output from the keyboard.

I have both kinds of Casio keyboards and can record both audio and MIDI from them using my UMC404HD.

Also, in BIAB, MIDI input comes in via the thru track, but gets recorded to the Melody track. So, if you use a VSTi or DXi sound for the MIDI input, you need to apply it to the thru track and then apply the same sound to the melody track to play it back after recording it. (One of my long time wish list items is to automatically send the thru track settings to the melody track when you record a MIDI track in BIAB.

It's all very different in Realband, though, but one step at a time.

Please share your full configuration and how your connections are routed and we should be able to get it working for you.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
J
John F Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
I have the Casio WK6600. It uses the USB connection, which I plug directly into the computer, as my UMC204 does not have a USB input. I was not aware that I needed to send the signal to the thru option.
Also, when using RB I am not concerned with whether I get an audio ouput to the computer or MIDI data, as RB will ask me if I want the MIDI track to be converted and posted to the next track as audio. I just want to get a reading on the vu-meters so I know the signal will record to RB. Hope this makes sense....

Veteran
Veteran
I've got a Casio WK-7600 with direct USB input. When I get home from my camping trip later this week, I'll run through a few scenarios in both BIAB and RB and post the results and process back to this thread, unless you've already gotten your answer by then.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

J
John F Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
Hi John, I'm still having trouble with connecting to my keyboard. If you're back from your camping trip, could you respond? Need help desperately. Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi, John F - I just played around with my Casio WK-7600 along with my Behringer UMC404HD. Everything worked as expected. I'll try to do either screen shots or a short video to show what I did to make it work. I'm using BB2020, but the process should be the same for 2018.

John

Veteran
Veteran
Here's a short video showing how my system works with a Casio WK-7600 and a Behringer UMC404HD. I'm running BIAB 2020 on Windows 10 Pro. Not exactly the same as yours, but the process should be the same. I use the UMC ASIO drivers, so make sure you have loaded them on your computer for best results.

John

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I am trying to configure my BIAB2018 to record MIDI from a Casio Synth keyboard. I set it for ASIO, selected the Synth for input, headsets for output and selected the MELODY track. All I'm trying to do is record a simple intro for a song I have created. I can hear the song thru my headsets and the piano keyboard thru the synth's sound output. I can see that I am connecting to the onboard keyboard when I test for sound, but I am not getting any visual recording levels

I was wondering if you are actually trying to record audio or MIDI, but I'm going to assume that it's MIDI you are trying to record. With audio, you would be recording the actual sound that your Casio makes. With MIDI you would be recording just the MIDI note data, which would play back using the sound of whatever MIDI synth is playing it. In the case of MIDI data, the topic of ASIO drivers is irrelevant, as are the VU meters, because there isn't an audio signal involved. I just mention that because you were saying that you didn't see any activity on the VU meters. So that would be important if you were wanting to record audio.

I suggest that you boot up Band-in-a-Box, and open the MIDI Monitor (Window menu). Click the Filter button and choose 'Only show computer MIDI input'. Play some notes on your keyboard, and if nothing shows up in the MIDI monitor, this means that no MIDI data is being received by the computer. In this case there is most likely a setting on the Casio... although I looked through an online manual and it doesn't appear that there is a setting, it should just work as long as you have Casio-USB MIDI selected as your input in Band-in-a-Box. You should turn on your Casio before running Band-in-a-Box.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Andrew, as my video showed, as you said, it just works with the Casio (the USB is class compliant and Windows picks it up automatically).

Recording the audio works well also...just need to connect the audio line outs on the back of the keyboard to the line in on the Behringer interface (or via a small mixer, which is how I do it.

John

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Right, that's what I thought. I guess I didn't realize you had almost the same keyboard. Recording audio is definitely a bit more tricky since a bunch of other variables can come into play like driver type, Windows control panel settings, sound card settings, sample rate...

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent video John. This will be a big help to many. Thanks for posting.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Jeff.

John

J
John F Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
J
A big thank you to both John and Andrew. Together you solved my problem, which goes to show that three heads are better than one. I'm now up and running both MIDI and Audio.

Veteran
Veteran
I'm so glad you got it working, John F.

(from the other John F.)

John

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,505
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195