Print Thread
Go To
#583202 03/01/20 04:10 PM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The other day, when starting up my win10 64 bit desktop, I got notice that Windows was installing updates, that It would take a few minutes, and that I should not turn off the computer. GRRR.

An hour and a half of frequent checks showed the same $-%%: messages. Power outages are not unheard of around here, or surges that reset my battery backup. One happened while I was away.

Now I can't boot up except to a notice that a certain file in the Windows directory is missing.

I don't have a backup disk. I've read that I can DL an .iso to thumb drive and use it to repair windows, but I can't make sense of any discussion/articles about whether or not I can keep my non-windows files...like two years worth of creative work with biab, not much of which is backed up.

All I wanted to do was spend a few minutes on the computer I paid for. I'm beyond angry, and as much with myself as with Windows. Well, mostly Windows. Give me a freaking option!!!

SO...is it possible I can get things back close to the way I had them? Any not-too-technical instruction U can read?

Sorry for the rant, but hopefully important info is buried in there.

Last edited by Tangmo; 03/01/20 04:15 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Tangmo #583218 03/01/20 06:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tangmo,

Years ago, I found myself in a very similar situation.

What I did was to download a bootable version of Linux (the Ubuntu version) and by using that to boot up the computer, I was able to access all my files and copy them off the hard drive. I was quite relieved when this worked.

Now I don't know if starting up Ubuntu from a live DVD will give you access to your Windows 10 files but it might. It does work for me with my Windows 7 installation.

Here's Ubuntu if you want to check it out. When you start it up, choose the option that allows you to run it from the DVD and not the install option. It's freeware. You don't need to donate any money to get it.

https://ubuntu.com/#download

I'm downloading the version 19.10 ISO file to burn it to DVD and test it out. I'll report back. (It's 2.3 GB download.)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Tangmo #583241 03/02/20 12:24 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I had this happen with my laptop last month.

I had several selections on the screen for possible solutions. After clicking around I found a restore command. Took that selection and half a day later my laptop was like it was a day or so before the update.

Sorry I cannot be more specific. Look around and see.

...Deb

Tangmo #583253 03/02/20 02:02 AM
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks, Deb. I don't know that I can get booted up enough to find that selection. I'm confident O can eventually get Windows back and not have to convert the tower to a boat anchor. What I really want is to save my files...especially my .sgu's and stems.

Thanks, Noel. I hope this isn't too much trouble for you. I'm hoping for good news, but any report is welcome.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Tangmo #583259 03/02/20 02:30 AM
Expert
Expert
I've done the linux trick too - you can certainly save your data files and if you have the original windows number (its on a sticker at the side of the pc/laptop) you can reinstall windows10 from a download. you might be best to reinstall BIAB from your back up files at PG Music (unless someone wiser than me can advise that simply copying your BIAB files might work ) sgus and mgus i am classing as data.

its a pita but there's hope that its not too serious. i think if you can get a windows 10 download you can actually install and keep your data and settings so its just a matter of repairing the operating system.

if you have a friend with a pc you can can create windows installation media which is self booting and then i think there is an option to 'repair'

Last edited by Bob Calver; 03/02/20 02:31 AM.
Tangmo #583263 03/02/20 03:10 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Hi again,

I used CDBurnerXP (link) to burn the Ubuntu ISO file to DVD. This created a boot-up DVD with a working version of Ubuntu installed on it. It would also be possible to create a bootable flash drive if your computer supports this. The link below explains how to burn an ISO to a USB drive.

https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/burn-iso-image-to-usb-drive.html

It took around 3 - 4 minutes to boot from the CD. Eventually, I reached an option to "Try Ubuntu" and I selected that.

Using Ubuntu's file manger, I could access my three Windows drives and directories by clicking on the "Other" option. I could then move files between drives and on to removable media.

Although I have Windows 7 and I cannot guarantee that it works the same with Windows 10, it's worth a try.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Ubuntu 19.10 file manager.JPG (48.7 KB, 166 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Tangmo #583275 03/02/20 04:55 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I know this doesn't help your problem, but to avoid it in the future you need to do two things:

1) Get a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)

2) Get an external disk and disk cloning backup-up software (I use Acronis).

The next time Windows wants to update when you shut down, don't shut it down, instead run a backup with your cloning software. When the backup is complete, shut the computer down and let Windows do it's thing.

This not only happens with Windows, Mac does the same thing.

Also backup your drive often to the cloning disk. How often? Depends on how much you use it, what you use it for, and how important the data on your primary HD is to you.

I use Microsoft Sync Toy to back up the data I don't want to lose every day. I do a hard drive clone at least once a week depending on activity, it might be more.

Also, before I install any new program or major update to that program (even BiaB) I clone the disk first.

Running a computer without a backup is like taking your boat out in the ocean without a life vest. Most of the time it's OK, but when it's not OK it is a major problem.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Tangmo #583310 03/02/20 10:47 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I'm confident O can eventually get Windows back and not have to convert the tower to a boat anchor. What I really want is to save my files...especially my .sgu's and stems.

Take the hard drive out of the tower and plug it into a different working desktop PC. Using that PC, copy all the files you need from your disk to a folder on the working PC's (C:) disk. Plug in a USB drive to that PC and copy your important files to it. Now that you have all your files backed up both on the second PC and on an external USB disk, you can continue doing whatever it is you need to do to get Windows working (reinstall / repair etc.) without worrying about possibly deleting your files in the process.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Tangmo #583366 03/02/20 03:02 PM
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
What brand and model computer do you have?

Chances are the computer has operating system back up and recovery options built-in. By knowing the brand and model we can download the manuals and offer alternate suggestions.

Andrew's suggestion above is spot on. His may save you a lot of grief. Always best to safeguard your files.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Tangmo #583383 03/02/20 06:14 PM
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks so much, all. I asked if there was hope, and it seems there is a lot of it. I will begin on these in order of increasing difficulty in my particular life situation keeping safety foremost.

Noel, you are as kindhearted as your songs tend to be.

I'll mark this "resolved" and get down to it. THANKS !!

Tangmo #583504 03/03/20 05:16 PM
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Good luck! Let us know the results.

Tangmo #584837 03/10/20 05:58 AM
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The bad news first. 1. Windows is toast. 2. I am a panicky dumb@zz.

The good news next. I am a panicky dumb@zz who did not remember that his irreplaceable files were on a different internal drive, and it is intact.

Given the age of the computer and the cost of repair and reinstallation of the OS, I've decided to just get a new system altogether. That's not the cheapest option, but it makes the most sense in the long run.

Though it will be a bugger-bear to reinstall apps, locate lost bookmarks, etc, etc, etc, at least I haven't spent the last two years with BIAB in vain.

We'll have to do some saving and maybe not feed the kids for a while, but I hope to be at least limping before too long.

Thanks again for giving a durn. It means a lot to me.

Tangmo #585024 03/11/20 04:09 AM
Veteran
Veteran
What a relief that must have been. I'm happy for you.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Tangmo #587698 03/25/20 09:00 AM
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Glad to read you're getting back on track. Good luck!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,533
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200