Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Howdy all....

I'm pondering making a music video of my current showcase song (Adrenaline) and a few other BIAB originals.
I gladly thank our BIAB program which is what I needed to finish them up or they would still be sitting in an "incomplete" folder. smile

I've never done any YT videos of my efforts.
It feels kind of scary putting one's songs on YT for the world to view.
Any tips from anyone....what to be aware of...that sort of thing would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any G2 on the process.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 03/09/20 04:00 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think copyrighting your song would be a good idea. I'm not sure how you go about it, but I'm sure that others on the forum can advise.

Last edited by Keith from Oz; 03/09/20 04:56 PM.

Cheers,
Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This has been discussed many times here at least in reference to copyrights. The general consensus is that once you document your song's © date via uploading it to SC, YT, etc., you are good w/o going to the trouble of actually copyrighting it formally. The upload date stamps it for time immemorial.

We have 22 songs licensed via Songtradr to a very large worldwide company and we've never copyrighted a one. We also have many songs on Apple Music, YouTube, Amazon, Spotify, etc., that have been "formally" copyrighted.

And, honestly, unless you have a huge hit what are you gonna do if somebody steals it? Take some of the few cents it earns streaming, etc., and sue? smile FWIW I'd throw it up there and not worry.

Bud

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Keith....G'day mate....
I haven't done any formal copyrighting of my material but that is something I should keep in mind.

Janice & Bud....
I totally agree.
I've never concerned myself with the formal copyright process because my ego is not that big.
I'm just a song writing bottom feeder and have no fantasies/illusions that someone would actually steal any of my material thinking it's a masterpiece to re-create and generate monies.
Your 'time stamp' comment is how I've always perceived it.
Putting one's songs on a YT channel seems to be the next level up in the exposure arena.
The thought is a bit terrifying to ponder....you know....the anticipation of receiving hundreds of "Dislikes". smile

Thank you both for providing your thoughts....I'm still measuring my courage to do it.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 03/11/20 02:12 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wouldn’t worry about getting hundreds of dislikes or negative comments.

The fact is YouTube is a big place, and the chance of someone just randomly finding your video is slim. We have done a few videos over the last few years, and I’m sure that most of, if not all, the views we get are from my partner or myself plugging the video over on Facebook and other social media sites.

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I wouldn’t worry about getting hundreds of dislikes or negative comments. The fact is YouTube is a big place, and the chance of someone just randomly finding your video is slim. We have done a few videos over the last few years, and I’m sure that most of, if not all, the views we get are from my partner or myself plugging the video over on Facebook and other social media sites.

Howdy Blue....

I agree with that logic and likely just over thinking it.
But....doing a YT video of one's song vs just uploading a song on a music hosting site does seem to put one in a more critically vulnerable public position.:)
One has to be quite comfortable with what they are presenting.
So....I'm working on that.

Thanks for commenting....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We've been posting vids to youtube for six years but have never promoted them other than liniking to them on the user showcase when we post a song and occasionally on our fb page. Around a thousand views is the most we ever received (on a song that's not even in our featured playlist) and really low numbers are common for our vids that have been up a couple of years. I'm really lazy about adding descriptive tags, etc., that could increase views. We just sorta finish them, post them and forget about them. Same for Soundcloud where they range from a few hundred listens per song to a max of around 1500 over the years. Again no promotion but the PG Music user showcase forum and getting on PG Music featured SC radio will drive the numbers up.

We save what little promotion we do for Songtradr smile

And if you feel really uncomfortable smile you can also set the permissions to preclude comments, etc.

FWIW, old phart ramblings, etc.

Bud

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We've been posting vids to youtube for six years but have never promoted them other than 1) liniking to them on the user showcase when we post a song and occasionally on our fb page. 2) I'm really lazy about adding descriptive tags, etc., that could increase views. We just sorta finish them, post them and forget about them. Same for Soundcloud where they range from a few hundred listens per song to a max of around 1500 over the years. Again no promotion but 3) the PG Music user showcase forum and getting on PG Music featured SC radio will drive the numbers up.

FWIW, old phart ramblings, etc. Bud

Howdy Bud....

1) That's all I would do to.
2) Same here
3) "Showcase" views is all I rely on too.

Ha..."old phart ramblings" have hidden wisdom only "old pharts" can grasp. smile

Thanks amigo for chiming in on my mundane post.

Off-Topic
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
We have around 350 videos running on our teaching channel with over 1000 subscribers and there's
only one piece of advice I can offer, but I think it's very important -

Make sure in your YouTube channel prefs that you have opted for all comments to be held for review
before being published. You can then delete the spam and trolls which you're almost certain to get,
before anyone sees them.

Hope this helps.

ROG.

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: ROG
there's only one piece of advice I can offer, but I think it's very important - Make sure in your YouTube channel prefs that you have opted for all comments to be held for review before being published. You can then delete the spam and trolls which you're almost certain to get, before anyone sees them.
Hope this helps. ROG.

Howdy ROG....

That is a very good tip.
I'm sure I'd get my share of "trolls" too. smile

Wowsers....350 videos....that's a lot to manage and follow up with/on.
Yes...very helpful and glad you thought to mention it.

Thanks again....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 03/12/20 04:20 AM.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
That would be awesome ! yes make some videos for your songs.
If you only have one camera just video the whole song from one angle then do another take from another angle, all you need to do is play the song from CD while videoing then mix the video tracks with the original audio you have up there now. Have the CD playing loud enough for the camera to pick up so to give a sync reference to align with the original audio.
You can make it with Reaper or there are plenty of other free video creating software.

This one was just all style tracks and got on CMT, there's another one somewhere there too.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=317099

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Mornin' Pipeline....

Quick qualification....my videos wouldn't be me playing live or with a band.
For example, it would be the song with images/pics relating to the song subject and/or an image with scrolling lyrics.
Not sure how I will approach it yet.
Still building up some courage on this front.

Thanks for contributing and the link to check out.

Have a great day everyone.....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yep you can have a lot of fun making and putting a video on Youtube, I have used a few programs probably one of the easiest to use is Muvee auto producer, you just load the pictures and your audio and pick a theme and and it auto produces the video with transitions and panning zooming etc.

Just went to their site and it seems they are running a sale now $15 or so according to the popup. I think this is very reasonable. I have found it so easy to use.

https://www.muvee.com/products/muvee-reveal-encore-automatic-video-editor

As this does seem an old sale price I would make sure through live chat on there or email that the offer is still on before you part with any money.

I did this song with it, can be a little tricky at times if you want a particular picture at a particular place in the song, so it took me a little time to get things reasonably right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFJ4mYTocA

If you want more control over your video and have the time to spare to make it, in the past I have messed around with Cyberlink power director (an old verison)

Dont worry too much about people leaving comments on youtube, the BIG problem is,to get them to your youtube page (I have found) in the first place, you could end up with a small number of views, of if the song is fairly topical and has a few keywords in the Youtube heading a lot more.

Looking forward to seeing your song there.

Last edited by musiclover; 03/12/20 08:20 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover

Dont worry too much about people leaving comments on youtube, the BIG problem is,to get them to your youtube page (I have found) in the first place, you could end up with a small number of views, of if the song is fairly topical and has a few keywords in the Youtube heading a lot more.

Looks like you are doing a good job at getting people to watch your video, over 4000 views on that video you posted, pretty good IMHO!

The most views we have ever got is 1500, but mostly we see between 100 to 200. How are you getting people over to your page?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One suggestion: get Pat Marr's opinion. Maybe PM him to look at this thread.

Pat is remarkably good with video. He did some documentary work on my band a few years ago. He has some very interesting work on YouTube.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Howdy....

musiclover....
Great comments.
I should have noted I do have the movie software...Sony Platinum 9.0.
It's old but serves my needs well enough and I've made a couple of vids already.
IE: My personal Vietnam documentary and another of my Music Anthology.
Ha... I "look forward to" mustering up the courage to do just that. smile
I just checked out your video....great job and the format/content would be the same for me.

Matt....thanks for that tip about PM'ing Pat.
Hope you're doing well with your music.

Thanks again to all for chiming in....

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Don't forget the audio portion of your video. YouTube currently specifies a loudness normalization level of -14 LUFS. Anything hotter than that will get YT brute force normalizing, and your audio quality will suffer.

TBProAudio have several useful tools for this.

dpMeter 4 is a free meter that includes LUFS measurements.
https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/dpmeter4.html

FinalLoud2 (29 €) is a True Peak limiter that will automatically match the master buss level to a target level.
https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/finalloud2.html

dpMeterXT2 (79 €) is a very fancy version of the freebie.
https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/dpmeterxt2.html

There are similar products from other companies.

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Howdy Maartien....

Another great tip that I'll be aware of.

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment and the links.

Have a good one...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TheMaartian
Don't forget the audio portion of your video. YouTube currently specifies a loudness normalization level of -14 LUFS. Anything hotter than that will get YT brute force normalizing, and your audio quality will suffer.

Very good topic. There was a good conversation on this last fall right here:

Your Loudness Penalty

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
You Tube licensing, (Through Harry Fox Agency, HFA,) has come a long way over the years. The downside on that is, so has Big Tech's creative capacity for evil. Still, the old adage holds, "It is cheaper for "them" to simply buy the song than to risk expensive legal consequences. This speaks to the idea of stealing being over rated. Also, Big Media works with themes, marketing themes, tried, tested, and committed to. Big Music is big business, with contracted production workers, writers, and distribution outlets. The business model is very conservative, the rules are strict, and the people are tight. It is not all that hard to get a job in that industry.

Last edited by edshaw; 03/14/20 12:13 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,581
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193