Off-Topic
L
lambada Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
L
Hi All

Just wondering how you are all doing? Not good for the older demographic, especially if you're in some kind of institution. Living in Hong Kong, it (and the demonstrations previously) have been a part of my life for a while now. As an elementary teacher, I've been off school for a month and it seems we'll go back at the end of April. I now teach from home - on line.

We've done the mad rush for face masks and hand cleaning alcohol not to mention the bizarre rush for toilet paper! No food shortages now and people are starting to chill out a bit, so there is a danger of more local infections as people let their guard down. I got a lot of info from Wuhan in the early days and that was surreal.

I think Italy is probably the most realistic scenario for what will happen in democratic countries. I dread to think what will happen in 3rd world countries with no public health care systems in place. Anyway, stay safe, don't fall for the fake news etc, but don't underestimate it.

Last edited by lambada; 03/09/20 09:24 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: lambada
Hi All

Just wondering how you are all doing? Not good for the older demographic, especially if you're in some kind of institution. Living in Hong Kong, it (and the demonstrations previously) have been a part of my life for a while now. As an elementary teacher, I've been off school for a month and it seems we'll go back at the end of April. I now teach from home - on line.

We've done the mad rush for face masks and hand cleaning alcohol not to mention the bizarre rush for toilet paper! No food shortages now and people are starting to chill out a bit, so there is a danger of more local infections as people let their guard down. I got a lot of info from Wuhan in the early days and that was surreal.

I think Italy is probably the most realistic scenario for what will happen in democratic countries. I dread to think what will happen in 3rd world countries with no public health care systems in place. Anyway, stay safe, don't fall for the fake news etc, but don't underestimate it.

I am more concerned about the Stock Markets at the moment. Living off Superannuation with a fair percentage in shares. (No longer living for free).

Here in good old Oz we have brawling in the aisles for a few rolls of toilet paper. Bring back the phone book I say.

Keep well

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Things are definitely going to get worse before they get better.

It would be nice if the administration stopped trying to muzzle the health officials and allowed them to speak freely. Honest assessments by people who actually know what they're talking about would be preferable.

"Hunches" and talk of "miracles" by misinformed bureaucrats aren't helpful.

Anyone have a spare bottle of hand sanitizer?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I knew things were going to be bad but it hit home yesterday morning when I got a call asking me if I had an interest in coming out of retirement.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My nursing home is on total lockdown meaning no visitors. Fortunately, I got out to see my wife on Sunday.

Canadians will know of Smokey Point just N of Maryville, WA where my eldest son lives. He flew home this morning and Smokey Point has had 8 related deaths as of yesterday. They have been combining clinics to try to contain the virus. It's especially affecting we older pharts.

If it gets in here, I'm dead!

Some of the staff is/are wearing masks.

It's impossible to find Lysol, hand sanitizer, particle masks, etc. The shelves are bare in Walmart, etc.

Any ideas for a good filter?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor

Maybe this will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiC56E9t0r8

Running and ducking for cover!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That was hilarious Mario!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Well found Mario, does put a lighter spin on a difficult issue which at some point will affect most of us somehow.

Some time back I had six stubbies (small bottles) or Corona Beer and woke up a bit sick. I guess to avoid being sick from Corona one needs to be more temperate.

Tony

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not a valid mask.....

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
1.jpg (121.88 KB, 421 downloads)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Not a valid mask.....

Your image shows a 2003 version
of course that wouldn't work .. it's decades behind! smile

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Tony,

The best way to avoid being sick from drinking Corona Beer is to not drink it! grin

There's much better brands out there. LOL

Last edited by bobcflatpicker; 03/11/20 04:38 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's the end of the tourist season here. If it can stay away from here for one more month I'll be very happy.

I read someone from the non-muzzled WHO predicting that about 70% of the population will get it, most mild, some will hardly know, and 2-3% possibly deadly.

Although I'm of the age group it affects, I doubt it will affect me that much if I get it. I rarely get sick, and when I do it's usually mild -- one cold every 15 years or so and I can't remember the last time I got the flu. Considering that I work the 55+ market here in Florida and have done so since 1985, they shake hands, hug, and kiss us too, it's a pretty good record.

I know the press is sensationalizing it. On the other hand I know it's serious for those vulnerable. So it's good to be informed and cautious.

Let's hope our brightest scientists come up with a vaccine soon.

Do you know what goes good with Corona?

Limón in the neck of the cerveza bottle. laugh

Insights, incites and a lame attempt at humor by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
My nursing home is on total lockdown meaning no visitors. Fortunately, I got out to see my wife on Sunday.

It's impossible to find Lysol, hand sanitizer, particle masks, etc. The shelves are bare in Walmart, etc.

Don,

Don’t worry about any kind of mask or filter for yourself. Masks are primarily designed to keep someone who has an infection from passing it on. They are not really designed to keep you from picking up an infection. Besides, the very best masks require special fitting.

The administration of your nursing home needs to be vigilant in getting the employees to stay home if they are sick.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Where we are at right now from a Public Health perspective is it is an ill conceived notion that this is no different from seasonal influenza.

Seasonal Influenza spread is limited each year by the fact that (1) we have a vaccine against it, and (2) even though the antigens mutate each season there is still a certain amount of herd immunity that mitigates both the spread and the severity.

We have anywhere from 20,000 to 80,000 deaths from influenza each year. There would be more deaths except for the fact that when influenza sufferers develop pneumonia, they are put on ventilators in an ICU and pulled through the crisis. Take note of the fact that each flu season finds both emergency rooms and ICU resources somewhat overwhelmed by the number of infections.

The Corona virus. New virus. No herd immunity and no vaccine available for about a year. I was musing how our very definition of an epidemic alerts us to a problem well in advance of it arriving. An epidemic is when the number of cases is more than one standard deviation over the average. If you had zero cases before now, then a handful of cases is by definition an epidemic. That seems crazy unless you understand the math of an epidemic in a completely un immunized population.

I used to ask a question in an Epidemiology class that I taught. Would you sign a contract with me, for me to work for you for one month, with my starting pay at one cent a day, and the stipulation that you had to double my pay each day for a month? On day fifteen, my pay still looks pretty reasonable at $163.84. On day 20, it’s already looking less reasonable at $5,242.88. By day 30 I’m earning a whopping $5,368,709.12. This is the way a completely unmitigated infection moves exponentially through a population.

There have been descriptions of how the Italians went from preparation to crisis in their response to this virus. They completely cleared all departments of a hospital of cases that absolutely did not need to be there. Day one, the hospital was a virtual ghost town. Then a small population that grew to challenging, then became overwhelming. They became so overwhelmed that people over 65 or with underlying conditions were triaged out of the process and did not have resources wasted on them. That is the reality.

Don’t let anyone convince you that this is no different than the seasonal flu. It’s not, by a long shot.

Keith
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Re: Possible vaccine. There is a company attempting a vaccine production shortcut based on a rather remarkable bit of bioengineering that would cut the production time to 3 months from 12 months. The company that is trying this is staking its whole economic future on the process because they have committed their entire financial worth to this one project. On one hand, it shows they have confidence but it could also prove to be a reckless decision.

Keith
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Keith,

Thank for your knowledgeable and well-informed analysis.

We are on day two of our lockdown and my son's area in Washington State is even in a worse condition which brings the matter even closer to my heart.

The worst-hit are we elderly whose immune systems are already tired and weakened.

As for sickened staff staying home - they generally can't afford to miss work so they attempt to hide it while they expose everyone to whatever they are carrying.

It's not the visitors that concern me, it's the poorly trained staff.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

My late brother, Gordon, lived in Oregon and every time that Joanne and I would weekend down there ( from Seattle ) we'd catch the worst case of Blitz-Winehart flu imaginable. If we went North to Canada, it was the Labatt's Blue Flu.

BTW, Canadian beer is 6%, not 3.2%.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Had a bit of a chuckle. Here in Oz we had a rush on toilet paper (and several other items) due to panic buying. This got to the stage where fights occurred in the aisles of supermarkets. The supermarkets limited the number of toilet rolls per person which created complaints.

Here we are not a week later and the latest complaint is the supermarkets are refusing refunds on toilet paper (and several other items purchased in panic buying.) as having overestimated requirements in panic buying is not a valid reason for a refund. (Tickled my fancy this).

Keep well all

Tony

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That's funny.
Do they not plan on living long enough to use the amount of TP they bought?
It's not like it is going to go bad or anything .. or that they will invent a newer better solution before you can use it ..
Just don't but any for a while, you'll use it up .. or your kids will <grin>

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am 72 and my wife is 75. I have mild COPD. Eva, my wife is in ok health.

I have to "assume" we will both die from this if we get it. I have cleaned the cars and the house with Clorox spray and wipes to better than hospital specs. Eva is a clean freak to began with so she just had a super fun time with all that cleaning.

I have very few real reasons to leave my house. If this gets really bad I will wear my hazmat suit I use to spray chemicals with my tractor to the super market.
I am sure that will turn some heads....lol
That is about the only place I need to go.

Because I live near the Florida keys I am always prepared with enough water and food for at least six months. Two gen sets and pumps to pump water for the toilet
300 gal of gas in the boat to put in the gen or the car.

We have goats and sheep and more chickens than we can eat. I stock a good bit of normal meds like antibiotics an pain meds both for the family and the live stock along with serious first aid stuff.

OH BTW I have plenty guns and ammo. I also have enough guitar strings not to run out for a couple of years.

If the internet goes down, no problem, I have a 200 watt tube guitar amp I am sure you will hear it...lol

I survived two years of Vietnam and I will get through this also.

EDIT: I lived for a long time before I ever saw toilet paper so I still remember what to do....

Last edited by Planobilly; 03/11/20 07:18 PM.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,533
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200