Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Second is a new report out of S. Korea. They were hit hard a month ago but had millions of testing kits. Their new stats show exactly what several doctors have been predicting over the last few weeks and that is the 3-4% death rate is way skewed because of not enough test kits to really get a handle on how many already have had it and recovered. We know the exact number of fatalities but don't know the other number. S. Korea now says the death rate is about .5% which makes a lot more sense.

Mortality rates can only be skewed downward, not upward by a lack of testing. Case fatality rates on the other hand (which is what you are apparently citing) are far more dependent on the level of testing and I would argue that it is impossible to ever precisely know the case fatality rate for a disease. Case fatality rate is something that we use as a planning tool to respond to pandemics and has always been calculated using some very complex mathematical models because you will never know the number of undiagnosed cases there are for any disease. One of the criticisms that we get is that the models have been deliberately designed to avoid underestimating case fatality ratios so that we are not under prepared. Because of that you are always going to be able to criticize the estimated ratio as too high.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Of course Keith. This is merely an observation as reported by health professionals. I've been thinking more about this while I was cooking and eating dinner. Try this out and I'm using the word "you" in the general sense.

Most of us here have been to large sporting events, music festivals and the like with very large groups of people at least a few times. Take the Miami Dolphins stadium for example, capacity just over 65,000. I once saw a Rams game in Anaheim, roughly same number of fans. Say they had a promotional drawing for a brand new $50,000 pick up truck. One person out of 65,000 won that truck. Would anybody really be upset they didn't win? Of course not, you're sitting there surrounded by this huge sea of people and the odds are 65,000 to 1.

The population of the US is about 331 million. 65,000 divided into that is just under 5,100. Just for round numbers say 5,000. That means if the confirmed number of cases in the US reaches 5,000 that equals one person in that stadium. We'll almost certainly get to 5,000. Take it up by 10. 50,000 cases, ten people in the stadium. OK, that's not too farfetched either. If those ten won the truck again would you really be upset thinking you should have won, you must of been cheated or something? Again, of course not. 6,500 to 1 is still very long odds. They're not that bad in Vegas.

Take it up by a factor of 10 again. Now we're talking a half million confirmed cases in the US, 500,000 people. That's still only 100 people in that stadium. Does taking it from 10 to 100 out of 65,000 really upset you that much? You're still sitting in an absolute ocean of people everywhere. A massive parking lot, probably takes you a good half hour just to get out of the lot when the game is over. Surrounded by thousands and thousands of people in their cars. See my point?

Now a factor of 100 equals one in 650. When's the last time you went to a grocery store, even a huge one like a Walmart and 650 people were there? Lets say that one was there and he/she was infected. What would it take for you to get it? Beat odds of 1 in 650. There are tons of meds that people take every day because they need it where the documentation says the chance of dying from that med is around that number. I know I would take those odds if I had some bad affliction.

How many times have we all gone shopping and there's only 10-20 people there and two cashiers? What does it take to catch the virus from that one in whatever number of people at the store? First, very close contact, they basically have cough or sneeze right on you. Will you allow yourself to be that close to a total stranger in this envoronment? Probably not but sometimes it can't be helped. The other way is they left the virus on a door handle to the mens room or on a cart, a store shelf or even a can of coffee they touched but then put back. We all know how to handle that situation now.

Add all this up and is this something to really get upset about to be so worried you're paralyzed with fear?
Half a million cases just to get to 1 in 650 and even if you came fairly close to that one the chances of catching it from them are still quite low.

These are exceedingly rough numbers, you could throw out the population who are old enough or infirm they never go out shopping but other than that you would count everybody else including newborns because the kid could have it and they do the mom probably has it too. But still, now I'm assuming a total number of cases at a half million and fell free to take the odds down to 1 in 500. Still long odds. Will we get there? Who knows but even if we do consider these numbers.

Now if it goes up another factor of 10 to 5,000,000 cases and the fatality rate gets to 1 or 2 percent or 50,000 to 100,000 deaths. OK, time to hide in your well stocked, end of the world, zombie apocalypse/nuclear war bunker until there's a proven vaccine.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Of course Keith. This is merely an observation as reported by health professionals.

Bob

I was just pointing out that the source of this information didn’t know the difference between a mortality rate and a fatality ratio which have two different uses in Epidemiology.

As far as the rest, the worst case scenario is that 150 million people get infected. If we accept .5 as a “more reasonable” fatality ratio as you suggest, then 750,000 people die.

News on estimates

The numbers that are most concerning

Triage measures in Italy

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nobody is saying the virus doesn't exist in the southern hemisphere, of course it does. It's just the warmer summer climate tends to suppress it somewhat or at least that's a supposition right now. It is true there are few stories about this from South America for example.

Sort of like how it's suppressing the dengue virus they're dealing with?

The first case in Latin America wasn't reported until February 26. So it seems a bit premature to assume anything about how it behaves.

Quote:
Test kits have been a problem for sure but yesterday they're saying there are over a million available now and 5 million basically in transit and available in the next few days and ramping up from there.

I'm not sure who "they" are, but we're not seeing test kits around here. Despite assurances to the contrary, people who need testing simply can't get it.

Ironically, one of the most high-profile American couples with the virus - Tom Hanks and his wife - wouldn't have been able to be tested if they hadn't been in Australia.

And even if the US had millions of kits available, we simply haven't got the infrastructure in place to process those many kits.

Quote:
We will have a handle on this fairly soon I think and my guess is the overall death rate will start coming way down.

If by "have a handle on this" you mean we could contain this outbreak in the US, we're well past the containment stage.

That leaves mitigation, with a goal of reducing the rate at which the virus spreads.

Given an exponential growth rate and a population with no natural immunity, I'm not sure how well that's going to go, but there aren't a lot of options at this point.

As for the death rate, you're right - the current estimate based on the numbers from South Korea is around 1%. But that's not an even spread, and for people above 60 years in age, it's particularly brutal.

Quote:
Keep this in perspective. It's foolish to simply ignore this but equally foolish to suddenly feel we're all under a death sentence.

Am I under a death sentence from this virus? Statistically, I'm not.

As for perspective, with exponential growth in a population with no immunity, 1% death rate could be a really, really big number.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, says that complacency could lead to the death of "many, many millions".

I'm hoping you're right and I'm wrong, but until we know better, let's neither panic, nor encourage complacency.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Yeah, I'm gonna err on the side of safety! Cut way back on my trips to public places. Wash my hands frequently. Wipe down surfaces I must touch with strong wipes. Etc.

And remember this is not just being cautious to protect yourself since "I am healthy"! It is also so that you don't spread the virus to people who are not as healthy as you. This whole BS approach of "don't worry, everything will be fine" gets people killed!

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The scariest part of the whole virus event? Living in an area where the hospitals have some of the lowest ratings in the country.

If you go to the hospital, believe the nurses not the doctors. The doctors were probably the goats of their graduating class.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's good to see that our "very stable genius", (his words, not mine), finally realized this pandemic wasn't something he could BS his way through. It would have been even nicer if he hadn't downplayed it earlier and wasted weeks, if not months calling it fake news and a Democratic plot.

As always, he placed the blame on others for the delays and failure to respond to a health crisis. We can always count on him to do that. As he said this afternoon, "No, I don't take responsibility at all".

Of course you don't, Mr. President.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The realities of isolation have begin to set in.

I "assume" my wife and I don't have the virus.

The inability to be tested limits what I can do. The guy and his wife who live down the street have to go to work. They have no other option. They have three small children all school age. The schools have been closed. If I could test the kids and me and my wife I would keep the kids until this is over. This testing thing is Fk up!!!

My fishing buddy who lives sixty miles away called last night and told me to stay home. He said he would bring me anything I need and drop in in the drive way.There a few really good people left in the world!!

I am about 99.99% sure my house and surroundings are virus free.

What do I do with stuff delivered by UPS or anyone else? Put on my hazmat suite an disinfect it before I take it inside?

We have a old house that is sort of in the country so some of my chickens come to the back porch. They are the only friends I get to touch. Isolation is very unnatural.

I read there 10 nursing homes in Washington State that have Corona virus.God help you if you have to depend on the government for anything.

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
quoting Planobilly:

"The inability to be tested limits what I can do. The guy and his wife who live down the street have to go to work. They have no other option. They have three small children all school age. The schools have been closed. If I could test the kids and me and my wife I would keep the kids until this is over. This testing thing is Fk up!!!"

Fortunately, a Chinese billionaire pledged to send 500,000 test kits to the US around noon today.

https://www.sfgate.com/cnet/article/Alibaba-co-founder-Jack-Ma-to-donate-500-000-15129020.php

Around 3:30PM this afternoon, Trump bragged that we would have 500,000 test kits available next week, yet he never mentioned Jack Ma, the guy who's giving the test kits to us.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Had a bit of a chuckle. Here in Oz we had a rush on toilet paper (and several other items) due to panic buying. This got to the stage where fights occurred in the aisles of supermarkets. The supermarkets limited the number of toilet rolls per person which created complaints.

Here we are not a week later and the latest complaint is the supermarkets are refusing refunds on toilet paper (and several other items purchased in panic buying.) as having overestimated requirements in panic buying is not a valid reason for a refund. (Tickled my fancy this).

Keep well all

Tony
Three days ago I jested about your TP post.
Then I went to the local grocery store last night. My mission; pick up some chicken breasts for the wife's recipe.
I failed the mission.

Meat section was totally cleaned out except for a commercial size bag of drumsticks.
No beef or pork to be seen at all.
Many other aisles were empty too.
Surreal.

/we just made something else for dinner, I'll not participate in the initial panic
//you're welcome

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Billie said:

Quote:
What do I do with stuff delivered by UPS or anyone else? Put on my hazmat suite an disinfect it before I take it inside?

UPS, FedEx, and the US Postal Service appear to functioning unmolested. It seems to be the means that would succeed in intentionally propagating the virus.

Imagine the chaos it would cause if those services were to be shut down.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've now lost 3 gigs due to COVID. A fourth one is still undecided.

2 one-nighters my market pay about what a 5 night gig in a club pays. So I've lost a lot of this month's income.

When you gig for a living, you don't get paid when you are cancelled. Under the circumstances I offered to either return their deposit or let it float for the next time they book us.

There are a lot of Canadians that we play for. Last night we played at an RV resort that about 600 Canadian RVs park for the winter. Almost all have gone back to Canada.

I talked to a few that are left. They bought US health insurance for their 6 months here in Florida, but they are going back home anyway because they say the health system in Canada is much better than that of the US. (I've heard this many times by Canadians).

I'm sorry to see them go, but I understand.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I looked up some numbers this morning, just out of curiosity. This is NOT intended to make light of or diminish the seriousness of Covid 19, but simply to provide perspective....so don't blow me up.

Currently, as of the moment I'm posting this, there are just over 150,000 confirmed C-19 cases globally, in 149 countries, and 5,617 have died. In comparison, the 2019/2020 seasonal flu, in the U.S. alone, has had over 26 million cases, 14,000 deaths, and 250,000 hospitalized. Again, that's globally vs. U.S. numbers alone.

The 2009 H1N1 virus, in comparison, led to over 12,000 deaths in the U.S. - the global estimates are varied, somewhere between 150,000-580,000 deaths (I pulled these #'s from the CDC).

This is clearly a very serious virus, but IMO it doesn't warrant the panic that has ensued. Wash your hands, be smart and stay safe.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Couple of hundred case in the UIK, Nothing this far north as of yet. Maybe our dreaded midge will kill the bugger before it gets us

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Agree with that Roger, the media have gone completely bonkers over this and are probably helping to give people heart attacks worrying over it

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I guess you think Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), is part of the media hype;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/anthony-fauci-fights-outbreaks-with-the-sledgehammer-of-truth/2020/03/12/b3f81f52-6473-11ea-845d-e35b0234b136_story.html

While I agree that we don't need to panic, acting like it's no big deal is incredibly dangerous and short sighted.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh it's a big deal Bob, that's for sure, but the media have made people panic buy worldwide and they should be held accountable

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Maybe you should go back and carefully re-read my initial post. You know....the part where I said "This is NOT intended to make light of or diminish the seriousness of Covid 19...."

or maybe when I said "This is clearly a very serious virus".

Where, in that, did you possibly presume that I was "acting like it's no big deal"

Reading comprehension....it's a thing.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Roger,

My reading comprehension is fine, thank you.

But even mentioning "media hype" is playing into the administrations constant attempts at trying to get the American public to distrust the media.

I'll choose the media over a self serving politician with a rampant history of lying to the public every time.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,624
Posts735,213
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185