Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
I started creating a song in BIAB using _CBOOGS2.sty @ 129 bpm and got to the point where I could lay down the vocals. (Trying to match Elvis is NOT easy !!!). Up until today I was quite excited with the
progress I had made and put it into Cakewalk by BandLab. I thought to then tinker as a means to becoming more familiar with all the software that I have. I wanted to put a slightly more interesting drum track to the song than was provided by the Style that I had used. I turned to EZDrummer and created a new drum track that rocked a bit more with the song. I muted the BIAB drum track and sat back to enjoy.

I find that I'm not on Cloud 9. As the playback progressed, I found that all my hard work on the vocals and editing and rough mixing in Cakewalk was not resulting in me reaching for a glass of Scotch for the right
reasons. The timing/tempo between the BIAB tracks and the EZDrummer track started to drift by the time the playback got to Bar 35-36 (very slightly and NOT from the start) and then by bar 65-66 seemed to 'jump' to a greater degree of difference. The BIAB tracks and my vocal track (which I had recorded against the full BIAB song, had started to fall behind. As I said, it was not at an even rate through the song.

I soloed the BIAB drum track with the EZD drum track so not to be confused. The tempo changes were clearly there. I then needed to discover if it was the BIAB or EZD drum track that was at fault, so I soloed each one
in turn with Cakewalk's metronome switched on. It is BIAB's drum track that falls behind at 2x different points in the song. By the end of the song there is a 2x BEAT difference or thereabouts.

My dilemma now, is how to move forward. Do I try to mess around with squeezing the EZD drum track to fit with all the other tracks, or do I try stretching the BIAB tracks to fit with the EZD drum track. Either way,
it seems that I have to re-do the vocals (which my neighbours aren't going to appreciate !!).

Any constructive thoughts on how I should go about this would be appreciated - but MORE IMPORTANTLY - has anyone else experienced the same issue ?? Has this got something to do with Style built in tempos being squeezed or stretched to fit the tempo of the BIAB song you are creating ??

It would be a shame if this is a weakness of BIAB because I am anticipating using EZD drum tracks in favour of BIAB Style generated drum tracks for most of my songs, simply for the fact that you can have each piece of drum kit in EZD placed on its separate DAW track for individual treatment and mixing purposes.

I look forward to any response.

All the best
Chris

Veteran
Veteran
I don’t have an answer but I have experienced something like this. I took a BIAB track to the pro recording studio I use. My track was tempo quarter note = 140 bpm. The engineer determined it was actually 139.6 something. We stretched it to a true 140 as measured by his hardware word clock.

What is different in your case is you have said there are, for lack of a better word, glitches at certain places. I did not experience this; my tempo seemed stable, just not precisely right.

I don’t know if software has a mechanism to sync to a word clock, nor which software does so if it even is possible. And my home setup, while quite good, does not have hardware that would sync to a word clock. It’s an area I would like to know more about.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Chris,

I wonder if it's related to ACID information possibly being stored in the BIAB files.

By default, Cakewalk will read ACID information and stretch or shrink audio with such information embedded. This sometimes causes misalignment of tracks.

Is your Cakewalk tempo set to exactly the same as BIAB? BIAB only has whole-number tempos where Cakewalk has decimal values (as Matt has mentioned above). Also, are you using a MIDI for the net in Cakewalk as well? I suspect that the embedded tempos in this (if any) can override Cakewalk's setting.

As a starting place, try disabling the 'read ACID information' setting in Cakewalk. I don't know what it's called but it will be there somewhere.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi Matt & Noel96,

Thanks for your responses.

To Matt - in a weird way, it's good to know that it's not only me with this experience. But of course, it's NOT good. And you read me correctly. The drift isn't an equal drift from start to end. It's perfect snyc to about Bar 35 when it becomes noticeable
and then at around Bar 65 it jumps to being unacceptably noticeable. I'm fairly certain that it is not my imagination running away with me (queue for a song).

To Noel96 - ACID information is totally new to me. Thanks for mentioning it. I will research it and then check within Cakewalk. All I know is that I set BIAB to 129bpm whole units and when in Cakewalk, I also typed in a round 129bpm.
Your 2nd question Noel shows up my ignorance : "are you using a MIDI for the net in Cakewalk as well?". Would you mind explaining this a bit more to me.

Whilst you have both been brave to jump in on this and give me helpful pointers, I hope others will simply advise if they have had the same experience.

All the best
Chris

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Your 2nd question Noel shows up my ignorance : "are you using a MIDI for the net in Cakewalk as well?". Would you mind explaining this a bit more to me.

Woops... and I thought I proof-read my post. Sorry.

It's not your ignorance that is shown up but my slipshod typing. So your integrity remains intact.

What I was trying to ask was, did you download a MIDI file from the net and use that in either Cakewalk or BIAB?

I have EZ Drummer and use it often. I've never had a problem with it matching tracks created in BIAB.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I think Noel is referring to MIDI files not created by BIAB (such as downloaded from the Internet) that can contain tempo changes (and who knows what else). In other cases posted here, we have advised looking for control changes within the file. But if you are simply generating your own BIAB file, that doesn’t apply here.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Can you upload your drum track that was rendered by BB.
I used the drums in that style and exported to Reaper:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Reaper-Tempo-BB-Drums.png (137.73 KB, 106 downloads)
T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thanks again - both of you. Your willingness to help is amazing. It is reassuring Noel that you use EZD with BIAB songs without this issue.

No, I haven't used a downloaded Midi file in this song. It is only BIAB and then EZD added.

I have read up on ACID and am now looking to find where in Cakewalk there might be a means to disable it.

I am also looking on BandLab's help pages to check out what my settings should be for synchronisation. It suggests Trigger & Freewheel if my interface has a Word Clock input. I have a Steinberg UR44 and I don't think it has. So I am set up to use Full Chase Lock.

Then a setting : When SMPTE/MTC Timecode Is Detected (always switch clock source / do not switch clock source but start if in SMPTE/MTC mode / never switch). Now my brain is hurting, but I shall try the different options and come back to what it was set on
if changing these do not make a difference to my problem. It was set on Ask first, then switch clock source and start.

Then another setting choice : When clock source is set to SMPTE/MTC or MIDI Sync, pressing Play will : Switch current clock source and play back : OR : Maintain current clock source and wait for time code and I have to set either preference.

I guess I should be on Bandlab's forums to get advice on this.

If I stumble upon something I shall definitely come back with my findings.

All the best,
Chris

Veteran
Veteran
It has always been my understanding that SMPTE time code is used for video.

T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi Pipeline,

I was working on just that before I read your input. I thought it would be a simple matter of copy and paste but I'm being asked for a full URL when I try to enter the JPGs in this window. They are sitting on my Windows Desktop. Sorry to ask, but what is the procedure here ?

Regards
Chris

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: t-break
Hi Pipeline,

I was working on just that before I read your input. I thought it would be a simple matter of copy and paste but I'm being asked for a full URL when I try to enter the JPGs in this window. They are sitting on my Windows Desktop. Sorry to ask, but what is the procedure here ?

Regards
Chris

You need an image hosting service like Imgur. They have a free starter that I used for years. Haven't run out of free storage yet.

https://imgur.com/

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 5; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi Pipeline,

I've just checked this Forums FAQs and found what to do. The only problem I have now is that I get an error message saying that my image exceeds 10Mb when it's only 256Kbs. I shall doggedly keep trying to upload my images in 4x separate replies.

Cheers

Chris

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Go to www.DropBox.com and create a free account, I think you get 2gig free.
Upload the wav file, Share, copy link
if the link has a 0 on the end it will take you to the site to download it, if you change it to a 1 on the end it will direct download.

Last edited by Pipeline; 03/16/20 01:23 PM.
T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Hi Pipeline,

Here (I hope !!!!) is image of drum track at Bar 36. I'm using the File Manager facility to try and upload the file.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB drum Bar 36 in sync.jpg (241.06 KB, 79 downloads)
T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
OK. Image #1 uploaded successfully, so here come the others.

BIAB drum Bar 37 off sync.jpg (223.51 KB, 77 downloads)
T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Here's another ………..

BIAB drum Bar 67 off sync.jpg (225.01 KB, 77 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
t-break
For images:
You do need to have a certain number of posts here before the File Manager allows you to post an image on PGMusic servers.
If that is what you are trying to do, I'd try making one more post, then try again. I'm not sure if the threshold is 10 posts, but you have 9 so far (when I posted) so worth a shot.
Not sure if this will indeed help in your case, but I have seen it with others; you need a certain number of accepted posts before the File Manager image feature works. I'm just not sure what that number is.
Oh, and you need to be in full reply mode or Edit reply mode .. the quick reply window doesn't offer this option at all.

EDIT - I see you got it now smile

I have also used EZDrums and others like it without issue, so hopefully someone here can help figure out the issue.

/I think RB can open a BiaB file and allow using EZDrummer at the same time.
//I wonder what that result would be for you (as a test)

Last edited by rharv; 03/16/20 01:39 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
It seems to be out a bit but it's not too clear to see, maybe you can zoom in a bit.
This is what I get:

BandLab-Drum-Sync.png (7.25 KB, 67 downloads)
T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
And here's the final image at Bar 68 showing the extra jump in off-sync.

So

Image #1 shows in sync from start to Bar 35.

Image #2 shows off-sync from Bar 36

Image #3 shows same off-sync at Bar 67 as at Bar 36

Image #4 shows extra off-sync from Bar 68 to end of song

I'll be positive through this as whilst still trying to resolve my problem, I have found out in a period of a few days that you are extremely willing and helpful souls on this forum AND I have learnt how to upload images.

I hope anyone seeing my screenshots will spot something obviously simple.

To Pipeline : I notice that your screenshot in Reaper shows the BIAB drum track isolated from the _CBOOGS2 Style and it makes me wonder if the isolated drum track was altered when matching with the 2x guitar tracks and
Bass track when making up the Style ?? It's just a wild grab at some explanation. I wonder if I went to the trouble of bringing in the 4x isolated tracks that make up the Style, into Cakewalk
and see if I get a different story (well, I do mean song).

Hope you can stick with me through this. Many, many thanks and all the best,

Chris

T
t-break Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Sorry, here's image #4.

BIAB drum Bar 68 xtra off sync.jpg (221.78 KB, 62 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,629
Posts735,237
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185