Go To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Windows FAQ
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
nonchai, let me also make a suggestion. Please carefully read John Fords post. It will help you understand the core differences between the plugin, and BiaB. The render times are actually behind the curtain very similar. Since the plugin waits for the generation to be completed, and BiaB allows the playback to begin while generation continues it gives the impression that it is slower. This is because they were made differently for different reasons.

Both allow for tracks to be completed to create music. BiaB was made to allow the music to be changed and altered quicklly. Keep in mind that drop and drag is a somewhat new feature in Biab. Drop and drag is the whole point in the plugin. Working in the DAW is its only purpose.

Suggestion, when tinkering with a song if want to make small changes like try a different guitar, or add a organ, and such this can be done in the plugin before dragging tracks, and just that track can be generated which is usually much faster. Chord and major structural changes will take longer. If you need to do that use BiaB. If I want to cut on 2x4 I use my skill saw. If I need to cut 100 pieces I get out my Chop saw, set up a stop block and start cutting.

Point being drag and drop was added to BiaB for this reason so folks could tinker and experiment and when they got precisely what they needed drag to DAW. The plugin was created for a different purpose some DAW users that didn’t want to use BiaB, or dig in and learn it, or just wanted to quickly add tracks to the DAW the plugin was created so they would have a tool for that.

I personally have done a ton of testing and multiple songs in the plugin. My usual regeneration time on my old laptop is maybe 2 to 3 minutes sometime 5 for a real big project. I’m not put off with that. Do I wish it was a tad faster, yes. But I can deal with it since I understand what it is doing for me. If I had to generated these same track with several other VSTis it would take far longer than 5 minutes. And if I had to make a change to the track due to added chorus, different chords or the like I would have to make those same changes in several different VSTIs then once again 5 minutes would be a blessing.

I appreciate where your coming from, but respectfully think you are not seeing the big picture. Until the plugin was added this had to be done either in BiaB, or done with various other plugins.

On a side note there are other programs that do the whole thing in one box. Captain chords, scaler, etc. and while they do a decent job, even a good one, they don’t have 10% of the capability of BiaB. Finally this thread was not started to hammer out these type issues but to garner support for the express purpose of encouraging PGM to fix the basic advertised and promised feature bugs in the plugin. We can discuss render times and how to work with that on another thread.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
Over 20 minutes vs 10 seconds to generate 9 chorus song in plugin vs standalone

9 x 72bars 4/4 @ 40bpm
what's that over an hour play time ?

Now in BB open that song again without play/generating it and go straight to Render tracks then time it until you have all the tracks as wav or aif

Last edited by Pipeline; 03/14/20 10:53 AM.
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Great test to understand the render time differences. Thanks

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Tighten your seatbelts guys now that Mac 2020 Is released, and wow really early this year. I expect to see some love for the backend features in the plugin.

I think it is appropriate to give PGM a round of applause. They really dug in and covered some ground. We and I really include myself in this comment rode them hard, and pressured for a fix. Well the PGM lead by Peter and the team put in some hard work, and really gave themselves some breathing room for this cycle. Now if they do what I think they are doing and address the plugin issues this could be one of the best cycles yet.

Thanks to everyone who posted here and kept this thread alive. We all really want PGM to continue to thrive into the next generation, and tapping into the DAW users market can help in that area.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 03/17/20 04:32 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
It will be great when it works as advertised.

I.M.H.O. it will not only greatly improve the workflow between the DAW especially if they get the 300 RD to work and the direct input option to work, but will drive more impromptu desires such as regenerating bars for a selected region.

Studio One (latest version), Win 11 23H2 , i9 -10940X 3.3 GHz, 32GB Mem, a 4K 40" monitor, PreSonus Studio Live III Console as interface/controller. secondarily test on Reaper, Cakewalk, and S1 on Surface Pro 3 Win 10 (latest versions).
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
Originally Posted By: jpettit
I timed the render in the Plugin compared to exporting the same separate tracks for the above-mentioned test song in BiaB and the results are similar.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=585534#Post585534

Yes I agree that the export to audio times are Pretty much identical to BIAB stand alone. But thats not how I want to use the plugin. I want to have waiting times to playback - PLAYBACK be the same as in BIAB standalone. I don't want to be forced to be dragging ANY audio files into the DAW at all. I rely on the directly streamed audio. And just as for standalone - theres no reason this couldnt be done same as standalone eventually.

The whole heft of my points are concerting the simple task of making changes to the arrangement and then getting into a state where one can start to play with or use the result.

The basic implication behind what a lot of the people responding here all the "apples and oranges" talk... seems to be that the plugin wasn't "intended" to be so and so.... I find this to be a lame excuse.

Maybe for those putting forward these apples and oranges arguments they never had the intent or expectation to use the plugin with the same kind of M O as BIAB standalone - where the NON RENDERED TO DISK waiting times are fine and useable but RENDERED TO DISK waiting times are so slow that one only does it when everything is finalised. But here's the thing. When in BIAB standalone one gets the advantage of a rapid change-and-test cycle and then when ready do the slow export.

But people suggesting that one shouldn't also expect the same to be possible in the plugin clearly expect people like me to have TWO apps open at the same time - BIAB Standalone AND the plugin.

This is ridiculous. Specially after V2. since there are now enough features from BIAB standalone in the plugin to allow us to do a lot of song creation and arranging in just a DAW+plugin workflow.
Its just the waiting time that makes this M O impractical.

Think if any other plugin that exists out there which is some kind of music-arrangement creator - like Propellerheads REASON plugin - Native Instruments MASCHINE - and you will not see this artificial "apples and oranges" demarcation between their Standalone version of their technology and the plugin.

I might add that its a little disappointing that even in v 2.0 there's no multi-channel output feature in there yet. We are talking about a plugin that sits in a DAW that generates audio for multiple tracks - instruments - yet only provides stereo in the live real-time audio streamed into the DAW.

Name any other plugin where the producer-user would be expected to do this dragging and dropping of data ( whether audio or MIDI ) into the DAW tracks - for the plugin to work. It doesn't happen.
Yes many have drag and drop features typically for MIDI export. But its not the NORMAL method in which the user is expected to use the plugin.

PG Music have form in using words in a very loose fashion. Many years back they added a kind of "plugin-mode" to be able to drag audio file data into a DAW. That wasn't a plugin at all.
Now we have an actual plugin - but one which barely operates as any plugin that internally generates multiple parts of audio would do. Its a kind of half-arsed compromise.

Last edited by nonchai; 03/20/20 12:17 AM.

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You should of suggested all this years ago to give them heads up, I was the one that pushed for years for the Plugin as I was using RealBand that uses bbw2 in the same way for years so I suggested doing it the same way using bbw2 for the Plugin. After it was released I suggested play from RAM so all you can do is wait.

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Nonchai, if you want to request things like this please start a new thread, either here or in the wish or request forum. This thread is for discussion and hopefully resolution of the previously promised items for this years and last years release. I understand what you want. So feel free to ask for it through the proper channels. There might be others that will support you. What we are trying to do here is get the things that have already been implemented to function properly, before requesting anything new.

N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
Noted.

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
Veteran
Veteran

Studio One (latest version), Win 11 23H2 , i9 -10940X 3.3 GHz, 32GB Mem, a 4K 40" monitor, PreSonus Studio Live III Console as interface/controller. secondarily test on Reaper, Cakewalk, and S1 on Surface Pro 3 Win 10 (latest versions).
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Nice, that help all understand what we asking for in fixes. Hopefully that’s what is happening behind the scenes.

Veteran
Veteran
FYI IMHO the priority of fixing the features that do not work based on how DAW users would want to work with the plugin renders.
1) MIDI version of the drums would be a big bonus to allow for Multitrack mixing/replacing of drums.
2) Dry (no reverb) mixes are important to use the more sophisticated reverbs in the DAW.
3) Adding embed tempo just saves a step of manually entering that data in order to adjust tempos after the dropping files into the DAW.
4) Center pan stereo tracks allow the DAW user to do their own positioning of the track.
5) Dry tracks allow DAW users to add their own AMp simulators to fine tun the distortion.
6) This allows the DAW user to work within the plugin to change the instrument mix for verses, pre-chorus, chorus, and bridges.
7) This allows the DAW user to work within the plugin to change the drum mix for verses, pre-chorus, chorus, and bridges.

The rest get us to a point where any song made in BiaB would play identical in the plugin.

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
+1 on all above

Apprentice
Apprentice
+++1 on above as well

Veteran
Veteran
This is why you need a Tempo Embedded (what PGM calls Acidized) in the Plugin Options to work.

MIDI files always have tempo embedded. (you don't get choice)
Audio files without tempo will not sync to each other if you change the tempo while in the DAW. (Studio One, Cakewalk, Reaper V6)

This is important to a DAW user as they continue to develop their song.

Veteran
Veteran
Because these Options still do not work the DAW user cannot make choices about panning or reverb.
It is also important to note that they can not try to make these changes in BiaB and Import the song to be Rendered.
At the moment you are stuck with PGM mix from the plugin.
These are some of the first things a DAW user is going to want.

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Attention PGM development!!!! We have seen some work done on the front end by Adar, and thanks to him for that. But we have yet to see one single fix from the back end developers. I ask is this not going to happen? If there is going to be no further progress this year then please tell us. So we can stop asking and posting and hoping.

Several of us here have invested a lot of time and effort into figuring out, and detailing the base features needed to make this plugin totally useable. I for one have several projects that I want to do that will go much better if the features listed actually worked. I don’t enjoy having to “trick” the tools into doing what it should. I just wish you folks would break silence and let us know what is happening. Is it to much to ask for you to at the very least let us know what you intend to do about this. If you have no intention on fixing these things just say so, and we will save our virtual breath. Move on use other means to accomplish what we need and save frustration.

This down time for the world is the perfect time to accomplish this so many people are sitting around with time to create. You could pick up many new DAW users who have time to explore this option.

Finally please, just communicate with your customers.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 04/11/20 01:46 AM.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Attention PGM development!!!! We have seen some work done on the front end by Adar, and thanks to him for that. But we have yet to see one single fix from the back end developers. I ask is this not going to happen? If there is going to be no further progress this year then please tell us. So we can stop asking and posting and hoping.

Several of us here have invested a lot of time and effort into figuring out, and detailing the base features needed to make this plugin totally useable. I for one have several projects that I want to do that will go much better if the features listed actually worked. I don’t enjoy having to “trick” the tools into doing what it should. I just wish you folks would break silence and let us know what is happening. Is it to much to ask for you to at the very least let us know what you intend to do about this. If you have no intention on fixing these things just say so, and we will save our virtual breath. Move on use other means to accomplish what we need and save frustration.

This down time for the world is the perfect time to accomplish this so many people are sitting around with time to create. You could pick up many new DAW users who have time to explore this option.

+1

Well said Rob. Maybe they are mostly done with it.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms

+1

Well said Rob. Maybe they are mostly done with it.

Don't hold your breath whistle

PS - I do hope that they are working on this as it could be the wave of the future for PGMusic.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
John to the third power, I couldn’t agree more I also hope they are working on this. I guess where I’m at is I have been hoping for that since December. I really do hope so, but I am frustrated that we can’t even get any confirmation as to “if”or “when” or ”not” or whatever.

Mario you are on the money.

I want to add that I don’t mean to be so negative but it is getting very frustrating. We finally get a new version it is more broken than the previous one. And I do not blame Adar for that. There is only so much he can do. Most of the feature fixes are backend development issues.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195