Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#586168 - 03/18/20 05:57 AM [User Showcase] The Way Things Are (with PeterF)
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

The Way Things Are

Times are tough and this is not upbeat song but it was an enjoyable production and collaboration. Regardless of that caveat we hope you find it of interest and comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

Big thanks to PeterF all the guitar parts and, as always, to PG Music for their products, support and this forum community.

Lyrics are on SoundCloud.

Janice: lead vocal, harmony vocal, melody & arrangement
Peter: guitar solos / fills / rhythm & arrangement
Bud: lyric, arrangement, mix & mastering

Drums: RD AmericanaRoots16th-04-SdStk,Tms

Bass: RT 2877 Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060

Piano: MidiSuperTrack / Logic Pro Grand Steinway sound

RT/RD tracks comped from multiple generations

Track Effects: Logic Pro X EQ / Nectar 2 / Waves CLA Drums / Neutron 2 / Waves CLA Unplugged / Waves Bass Rider

Mastering: Logic Pro X EQ > Ozone Dynamics > Ozone Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance > YouLean Loudness Meter

#586172 - 03/18/20 06:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: United Kingdom
musician17 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: United Kingdom
Wow. One of the best I've heard from you. It feels like a long time since I've heard Janice sing a full song, as opposed to harmonies etc. for other people, so this was a real treat.

Who wrote the lyrics??? It's not clear from the SoundCloud post, but whoever did it ... hats off.

Please keep writing and creating ... these times are perhaps also an opportunity for us creators to create and alleviate some of the pain so many of us are going through, through music, lyrics ... in one word, through art. So let's do it. THANK YOU for regaling us with this beautiful, beautiful song!

#586174 - 03/18/20 06:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: musician17]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: musician17
Wow. One of the best I've heard from you. It feels like a long time since I've heard Janice sing a full song, as opposed to harmonies etc. for other people, so this was a real treat.

Who wrote the lyrics??? It's not clear from the SoundCloud post, but whoever did it ... hats off.

Please keep writing and creating ... these times are perhaps also an opportunity for us creators to create and alleviate some of the pain so many of us are going through, through music, lyrics ... in one word, through art. So let's do it. THANK YOU for regaling us with this beautiful, beautiful song!

Thanks James. I (Bud) wrote the lyric and I struggled to try and tell it from a child’s perspective using child like word choices. But Janice the eternal child smile helped me.

We much appreciate your generous comments!

J&B

#586176 - 03/18/20 07:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Really enjoyed this one!

Great writing, Bud, man I wish I had skills in that department! My favorite of many:

"a friend said her neighbor
was gonna go to hell
they went to a different church
was all she could tell"

Janice as always sounds great, love it when she brings in the harmonies.

Peter sounds a bit like Clapton to me on this one, very good indeed (cool ending!)

And a pro sounding mix to top it all off.

Excellent!

Blue Attitude Website

#586182 - 03/18/20 07:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Nice to hear an original from you and what a touching one it is! Hopeless story, powerful lyric writing. I was expecting something relieving in the end, but that's the way things usually are in real life, no happy endings. But luckily the excellent production makes me smile, Janice's voice and the guitars sing the ode of sadness very gently.

Janne

#586196 - 03/18/20 08:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Scottish Highlands
furry Offline
Veteran

Loc: Scottish Highlands
Oh Man, this is simply outstanding. Janice your voice is perfect for ballads, and it's time you did an album.
Peter, brilliant guitar work as always

#586214 - 03/18/20 09:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
As usual, excellent production, clear mix, and emotive singing.

Mind you, I'm not a fan of this sort of song, because they're as subtle as getting continually smacked over the head with a 2x4 cluestick.

Then again, who likes taking medicine? So I guess you can put that down as a measure of the song's success. smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#586215 - 03/18/20 09:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Hi Janice and Bud,

What beautiful song! Such a nice melody and so wonderfully performed. Only you can sing it that way, Janice!
You all, including Peter, did a very good job on this song!
You almost forgot what sorrow you sang about. Maybe I have to criticize you on that...
and what coincidence I have posted a song myself about that worrisome times we live in. And I sang very angry, maybe even ugly. But that nasty world made me do that ;-)

But then you sang: 'all you have to do is pretend it’s just a play'. Well, there I became speechless. What a cynical, but also wonderful way of telling how to deal with it!
I don't think you need more compliments, otherwise you will walk beside your shoes (a Dutch proverb meaning: you become too vain).

Hans

#586232 - 03/18/20 10:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Really enjoyed this one!

Great writing, Bud, man I wish I had skills in that department! My favorite of many:

"a friend said her neighbor
was gonna go to hell
they went to a different church
was all she could tell"

Janice as always sounds great, love it when she brings in the harmonies.

Peter sounds a bit like Clapton to me on this one, very good indeed (cool ending!)

And a pro sounding mix to top it all off.

Excellent!

Dave, thanks for everything you said. Writing is a struggle for me but I try to eke out a few each year. Janice always has a zillion melodies in head so that helps smile Glad you liked the mix - my usual paucity of tracks. Yeah Peter does have that Clapton edge! Thanks again,

J&B

#586269 - 03/18/20 01:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I wish I could write like Bud.
I wish I could sing like Janice.
I wish I could play guitar like Peter.

After hearing something so professional it almost makes me want to sell my instruments.

Everything is perfect, as usual from you all!

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#586279 - 03/18/20 01:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: musician17]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Originally Posted By: musician17

Bud wrote an excellent lyric for this one and the vocal is sublime. A real pleasure to be asked to play.

Peter

#586284 - 03/18/20 02:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
rayc Offline
Veteran

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
The narrative & perspective are terrific.
"that's just the way things are"
Says it all really.
The lies we tell children, (science, faith & education are full of them as stepping stones to further understanding), form the adult they become.
Cool song on all levels.
Thank you.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. https://therecordingrebels.com

#586289 - 03/18/20 02:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: jannesan]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice to hear an original from you and what a touching one it is! Hopeless story, powerful lyric writing. I was expecting something relieving in the end, but that's the way things usually are in real life, no happy endings. But luckily the excellent production makes me smile, Janice's voice and the guitars sing the ode of sadness very gently.

Janne

Janne, that was a very eloquent response to our song. We thank you for those thoughts and are very happy that you liked it.

J&B

#586300 - 03/18/20 03:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Janice and Bud, after all the comments here is hard for me to add anything to top it. Anything that you all do is simply great. Production, vocals ,lyrics, you name it. All perfect!

Mike B.

#586321 - 03/18/20 05:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: furry]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: furry
Oh Man, this is simply outstanding. Janice your voice is perfect for ballads, and it's time you did an album.
Peter, brilliant guitar work as always

Thanks Graham! We appreciate your comments and, yes, Peter did a great job.

J&B

#586328 - 03/18/20 06:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
jptjptjpt Offline
Journeyman

What a collaboration and with BIAB too! Great lyrics. Absolutely outstanding. Wonderful and full vocals. Beautiful Great guitar playing. I love that style. Someone said Eric Claptop. Yes . I'd throw in Mick Taylor too. Great production (mix, etc.) too.

#586364 - 03/19/20 05:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Birchwood]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As usual, excellent production, clear mix, and emotive singing.

Mind you, I'm not a fan of this sort of song, because they're as subtle as getting continually smacked over the head with a 2x4 cluestick.

Then again, who likes taking medicine? So I guess you can put that down as a measure of the song's success. smile

Subtlety has never been my strong suit smile

But, hey, no intentions of continually smacking you. Glad you survived the listen! We get it and ultimately take the compliment. It’s fun having one’s thoughts provoked!

J&B

#586366 - 03/19/20 05:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Birchwood]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice and Bud,

What beautiful song! Such a nice melody and so wonderfully performed. Only you can sing it that way, Janice!
You all, including Peter, did a very good job on this song!
You almost forgot what sorrow you sang about. Maybe I have to criticize you on that...
and what coincidence I have posted a song myself about that worrisome times we live in. And I sang very angry, maybe even ugly. But that nasty world made me do that ;-)

But then you sang: 'all you have to do is pretend it’s just a play'. Well, there I became speechless. What a cynical, but also wonderful way of telling how to deal with it!
I don't think you need more compliments, otherwise you will walk beside your shoes (a Dutch proverb meaning: you become too vain).

Hans

Thank you Hans. Your thoughtful comments are greatly appreciated. Even more so because you understand what we were attempting to say. We will stay in our shoes!

J&B

#586441 - 03/19/20 12:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Midwest
HearToLearn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Midwest
Ok, this song IS emotion! It's one of those songs that captures a feeling so well that you sort of lose sight that it's a song and feel like you've just witnessed something. It's a story told so unbelievably well.

To expand on that a little bit without going too far, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is one of those types of songs. I'm not saying this sounds like that, just the power of the writing and performance get you to that place.

You three have so expertly accomplished this through the use of a well-delivered melody and harmonies, fantastic guitar work, production, and extra attention to the details of the lyrics. Instead of using words like Mom or Dad you chose words like Mommy and Daddy. Those words I want really drive it home.

The feel has even taking on life in the cover photo. From what I've seen, a lot of your covers have a really cool blue Spectrum to them. The Earth Tones had me expecting something different, and it was delivered

I lend on the overall sobering subject matter. I commend you for bringing it into perspective for those of us who may have forgotten the fears of a child. it's especially poignant given the times were in.

I am sitting in sitting in a parking lot as I write this. And by right, I mean speak it into my phone. I'm quite certain there will be many typos and it's not overly easy for me to go back and put in correct. I'm getting better at not worrying about that and just getting the comment out. that's what's most important in a work as amazing as this is! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It is truly top-notch in every aspect!
As people have left the "." out so many times, "Caaron" has become the norm of it. Still said as the "." was there though. smile

#586487 - 03/19/20 03:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Loved the intro. Love the tone of Peters guitar. Excellent vocal Janice. Professional level production. Well done

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Changing Languages in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows #TipTuesday

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows translations are now available in 8 different languages!

Adding a "language patch" is easy - simply head to the language forum of your choice, and look for a pinned post announcing the new version. Requests can also be sent to sales@pgmusic.com.

Once you've installed the language patch, simply open the program and voilà - translated!

To switch back to the English version of Band-in-a-Box, in the program you would select Options | Language Selection... choose USA English, then restart the program.

Learn more about the Options menu in Band-in-a-Box® here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows translated versions currently available:
Danish
Dutch
French
German
Polish
Italian
Spanish
Swedish

Add-ons Special ENDING! Xtra Styles PAK 9 & Loops-with-Style PAK 2...

There's still A LITTLE time left to SAVE when you SUPERCHARGE your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition with 200 new RealStyles with Xtra Styles PAK 9, and 100 NEW Loops & 50 NEW Styles with Loops-with-Style PAK 2!!

ORDER NOW! OUR SPECIAL ENDS JULY 15TH!

Xtra Styles PAK 9 includes deep-south New Orleans gospel, a country soul groove, a psychedelic pop ballad, action-sequence cinematic metal, a Cajun jaw harp boogie, post-punk folk rock, quarter-feel jazz blues, several modern jazz styles, a modern Celtic folk reel, multiple 6/8 grooves, and so much more! There's a MultiStyle in every genre, and our biggest MultiStyle has a total of ten substyles! Add it to your collection today for just $29 (reg. $49)!

Loops-with-Style PAK 2 includes 50 new Styles & 100 new Loops to add to your Band-in-a-Box® collection! There are two new genres: gospel and funk, and we've added to the selection for electronic, hip hop, jazz, pop, R&B, rock, and world! Purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 2 on sale for only $19 (reg. $29)!

Already have a few of our Xtra Styles PAKs? Top up now - each of our 9 Xtra Styles PAKs are just $29 (reg. $49)! Don't have any, and want them ALL? Grab all during our sale for just $199 (reg. $349)!

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box and listen to demos here.

More information on Loops-with-Style PAKs can be found here.

Mac user? Click here for OS specific purchase links.

RealBand® Turns 12!

RealBand® for Windows® is your all-in-one audio workstation and accompaniment program, and if you've purchased a copy of Band-in-a-Box® for Windows in the last decade, it's been included in your purchase!

We released RealBand in July 2008, along with Band-in-a-Box® 2008.5.

"RealBand brings a new level of ease and flexibility to anyone creating recordings. Record your own tracks, type in the chords, pick a style, and then add any MIDI or audio (Real) tracks to follow your chords - all in a single program. For example, type in chords to your song, generate a RealDrums track, record in your guitar and vocal parts. Then put on your 'arranger' hat and have some fun automatically adding RealTracks - maybe a guitar solo, or pedal steel background for the bridge."

We hope everyone enjoys using RealBand, which combines some great features from our PowerTracks Pro Audio program with the powerful accompaniment features from Band-in-a-Box®!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Spanish for Windows is Here!

¡Hay más de 50 nuevas características en Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Hay mejoras en RealTracks (RealTracks Vocal de Sonido más Suave, RealTracks Engrosamiento, RealTracks "Find-a-Sub" y MultiRiffs). La mayoría de los RealDrums ahora tienen RealCharts (con notación de batería precisa). Hay un nuevo navegador de Artistas RealTracks para encontrar información / biografías / enlaces / listas de RealTracks en todos los artistas. Un nuevo Navegador de Funciones permite al usuario nuevo u "olvidadizo" encontrar y usar fácilmente la mayoría de las funciones / teclas de acceso rápido / documentos desde una sola ventana. Ecualizar Tempo permite cambiar una canción de rubato grabada a un tempo fijo. Tiempo de audio mejorado / estiramiento de tono (Elastique) incluido. Hay mejoras en el Selector de Canciones, Bajo/Batería o Batería solo Auto-Intros, 3.400 títulos añadidos, mejoras MusicXML, guitarra para "Zurdos" y "Vista de estudiante", mejoras de Arrastrar y Soltar, Ventana Múltiple del Mago del Acorde de Audio y mucho más!

COMPRE/ACTUALIZE Y DESCARGUE YA!

Video - Entering More Than 4 Chords Per Bar in Band-in-a-Box!

One of our latest support videos created by Tobin shows off a great workaround for entering more than 4 chords per bar in your Band-in-a-Box song, using a combination of half-time and normal RealTracks - check it out!

Video Testimonial - Dennis Dearing Talks Band-in-a-Box®

Dennis remembers Band-in-a-Box® from years ago, but his connection to Mike Harrison and hearing him talk about the RealTracks is what really got him excited about the program!

Hear his thoughts and see how he uses the Band-in-a-Box® VST DAW Plugin for his projects with his Video Testimonial:

https://youtu.be/WqmtoxfJwDw

It's been a great addition to my workflow!
-Dennis Dearing

To learn more about Dennis, check out his testimonial page here.

You can create your own video testimonial letting people know how you use the program too! Learn how here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Polish for Windows is Here!

Dodaliśmy ponad 50 nowych funkcji do Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Są udoskonalenia ścieżek RealTracks (Delikatniej brzmiące wokale RealTracks, Pogrubianie RealTracks, funkcja "Znajdź odmianę" dla RealTracks i MultiRiffów). Większość RealDrums ma teraz RealCharts (z dokładną Notacją Bębnów). Jest nowa Przeglądarka Artystów RealTracks umożliwiające znalezienie informacji/biografii/linków/listy ścieżek RealTracks dla wszystkich artystów. Nowa Przeglądarka Funkcji pozwala nowym lub "zapominalskim" użytkownikom na łatwe znalezienie i użycie większości funkcji/skrótów/dokumentów z poziomu jednego okna. Funkcja Wyrównaj Tempo pozwala na zmianę utworu nagranego w rytmie rubato i dostosowanie go do ustalonego tempa. Udoskonalono funkcje rozciągania brzmień audio w czasie/wysokości dźwięku (Elastique). Są też udoskonalenia opcji Wybory Utworu, automatycznych wstępów na Basie/Bębnach lub tylko samych bębnach (Auto-Intros), dodano 3,400 tytułów, są udoskonalenia w zakresie MusicXML, mamy widok dla gitarzysty "Leworęcznego" oraz "Widok dla ucznia" przy grze na gitarze, udoskonalenia opcji Przeciągnij i Upuść, multi-okna wyświetlającego Magika Audio Akordów i wiele innych poprawek!

ZAKUP/UAKTUALNIJ & POBIERZ TERAZ!

Forum Stats
32485 Members
68 Forums
65197 Topics
552451 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
notnat, RDBASS, fernriva, ReinhardS, Tom_S

32485 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 183