Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#586504 - 03/19/20 05:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Leon1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Janice, Bud and Peter

Heartfelt, poignant lyrics from Bud, superb singing from Janice (who would expect anything else) and tasteful guitar work from Peter. Great job by all.

I know Peter will particularly enjoy the Clapton comparison in the comments. In our early teens, he and I both bought our first guitars cause we dreamed of playing like EC. These days, Peter actually can. Me, I’m still strumming a few simple chords to help me write lyrics. Goes to show that dedication, hard work and perseverance pays off (and vice versa).

Regards,
Leon

#586527 - 03/19/20 06:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: BlueAttitude]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Really enjoyed this one!

Great writing, Bud, man I wish I had skills in that department! My favorite of many:

"a friend said her neighbor
was gonna go to hell
they went to a different church
was all she could tell"

Janice as always sounds great, love it when she brings in the harmonies.

Peter sounds a bit like Clapton to me on this one, very good indeed (cool ending!)

And a pro sounding mix to top it all off.

Excellent!

Thanks Dave - appreciate that!

Peter

#586580 - 03/20/20 03:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Dear Janice, Bud & Peter,

this is really something special !!!

Thoughtful and heartfelt lyrics - Bud: KUDOS !!!. Janice you sing these outstanding lyrics with a deep emotion without any artificial sentimentality, that is just fantastic.

I love the arrangement and the overall sound of this production - oh Bud, you always get things right!

Peter, great playing (like usual).

Like I said, "This is really something special".

Stay healthy - there's more than just a storm ahead...

All the very, very best to all of you,

Stefan

#586624 - 03/20/20 07:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

This website forum is the hidden gem on the internet for the best, most original, and creative artists, songwriters, and their songs.

THIS song is one of the reasons why.

Nicely done.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#586628 - 03/20/20 07:37 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
BabuMusic Offline
Apprentice

Love your genius, Bud, and Janice's superb delivery. Excellent song with so much sadness. Peter's guitar work is superb as always. What a great song!

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#586636 - 03/20/20 07:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Janice, Bud, Peter...

Superb.

Everything is just as it should be to tell your story.

A solid write. Nice progression in the lyric/story. A well-matched melody.
The BAND does its job perfectly - as does the guy who put them in place...
Peter's guitar work is wonderfully supportive.
Seems silly to even mention Janice's vocal. PERFECTION.

A crystal clear mix. Sounds SO good on my monitors!!

One to be proud of (of course, they all are...)

fj

#586694 - 03/20/20 02:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: jannesan]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice to hear an original from you and what a touching one it is! Hopeless story, powerful lyric writing. I was expecting something relieving in the end, but that's the way things usually are in real life, no happy endings. But luckily the excellent production makes me smile, Janice's voice and the guitars sing the ode of sadness very gently.

Janne

Appreciate the comments Janne.

Peter

#586699 - 03/20/20 03:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Virginia USA
Ezekiel's Storm Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia USA
This is one of your best. Bud, I really like how your crafted that first verse to lead smoothly into the chorus--that really hooked me.

#586733 - 03/20/20 05:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: MarioD]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I wish I could write like Bud.
I wish I could sing like Janice.
I wish I could play guitar like Peter.

After hearing something so professional it almost makes me want to sell my instruments.

Everything is perfect, as usual from you all!

Good grief. We’d love to have your instrumental, compositional and arrangement chops!

Thank you!

J&B

#586852 - 03/21/20 10:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: cubanpete]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
The narrative & perspective are terrific.
"that's just the way things are"
Says it all really.
The lies we tell children, (science, faith & education are full of them as stepping stones to further understanding), form the adult they become.
Cool song on all levels.
Thank you.

We thank you Ray. Your reaction to that line is exactly the way we felt. Your thoughtful perspective is greatly appreciated.

J&B

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Janice and Bud, after all the comments here is hard for me to add anything to top it. Anything that you all do is simply great. Production, vocals ,lyrics, you name it. All perfect!

Mike B.

Thanks Mike!

J&B

#586904 - 03/21/20 01:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: furry]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: furry
Oh Man, this is simply outstanding. Janice your voice is perfect for ballads, and it's time you did an album.
Peter, brilliant guitar work as always

Thanks Graham.

Peter

#586920 - 03/21/20 02:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
TuneMonger Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maryland
Well, I bet a lot of full grown adults wonder the same stuff every day, I know I do. I appreciate that in mentioning religion you touched on the good and the bad in it. Production was first rate as usual. And that voice! I'm out of superlatives. Thanks!

#586980 - 03/21/20 06:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: jptjptjpt]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
What a collaboration and with BIAB too! Great lyrics. Absolutely outstanding. Wonderful and full vocals. Beautiful Great guitar playing. I love that style. Someone said Eric Claptop. Yes . I'd throw in Mick Taylor too. Great production (mix, etc.) too.

Thanks for the great supportive comments. We all appreciate them. And, hey, your mention of Mick Taylor was very cool. We love his playing!

J&B

#587105 - 03/22/20 01:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Rustyspoon# Offline
Expert

J@B + Peter,
Beautiful and sad original! I jumped into listening and was pretty sure I knew it. Turns out I did not smile Well, just wait 100(?) years and it will become a public domain... and somebody will re arrange and re-post it here. Very well done! Great teamwork! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

#587142 - 03/22/20 04:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: HearToLearn]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Ok, this song IS emotion! It's one of those songs that captures a feeling so well that you sort of lose sight that it's a song and feel like you've just witnessed something. It's a story told so unbelievably well.

To expand on that a little bit without going too far, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is one of those types of songs. I'm not saying this sounds like that, just the power of the writing and performance get you to that place.

You three have so expertly accomplished this through the use of a well-delivered melody and harmonies, fantastic guitar work, production, and extra attention to the details of the lyrics. Instead of using words like Mom or Dad you chose words like Mommy and Daddy. Those words I want really drive it home.

The feel has even taking on life in the cover photo. From what I've seen, a lot of your covers have a really cool blue Spectrum to them. The Earth Tones had me expecting something different, and it was delivered

I lend on the overall sobering subject matter. I commend you for bringing it into perspective for those of us who may have forgotten the fears of a child. it's especially poignant given the times were in.

I am sitting in sitting in a parking lot as I write this. And by right, I mean speak it into my phone. I'm quite certain there will be many typos and it's not overly easy for me to go back and put in correct. I'm getting better at not worrying about that and just getting the comment out. that's what's most important in a work as amazing as this is! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It is truly top-notch in every aspect!

One thing that will always brighten our day is a review like this! We hugely appreciate your comments on the write. I (Bud) did my best to try and present it from a child’s view w/o it sounding stilted. And thanks for mentioning the photo. I thought it was appropriate for the tune.

We thank you for all!

J&B

#587177 - 03/22/20 07:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
WOW!

This so worth the price of admission ... plus a fine dinner afterwards. there is so much fabulous talent on this forum. You two put out the cream of the crop entertainment in these parts ... and a lot of other parts, I would imagine.

Janice shines on this ... she always does, but this one is extra special. The harmony is beyond sweet. And Bud, you knob twisting talent is to die for.

Wishing you both everything good. take care ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#587180 - 03/22/20 08:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: MarioD]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I wish I could write like Bud.
I wish I could sing like Janice.
I wish I could play guitar like Peter.

After hearing something so professional it almost makes me want to sell my instruments.

Everything is perfect, as usual from you all!

Appreciate that Mario!

Peter

#587216 - 03/23/20 05:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Scott C]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the intro. Love the tone of Peters guitar. Excellent vocal Janice. Professional level production. Well done

Thanks for listening and commenting Scott.

J&B

#587217 - 03/23/20 05:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Central Ohio
edshaw Offline
Expert

Loc: Central Ohio
All around powerhouse of a track.
Reaper/Audacity
TASCAM DP 03 SD|Digital deck

#587291 - 03/23/20 01:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Way Things Are (with PeterF) [Re: rayc]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rayc
The narrative & perspective are terrific.
"that's just the way things are"
Says it all really.
The lies we tell children, (science, faith & education are full of them as stepping stones to further understanding), form the adult they become.
Cool song on all levels.
Thank you.

Thanks Ray.

Peter

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Just Got Better!

All our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows users will be thrilled with the enhancements added with the latest FREE Update (build 715)!

The program stability is vastly improved, with fewer possible crashes, BeStPlain chord font support has been added for additional chords, mid/xml/mxl file import has been tweaked to better handle certain cases (e.g. ties, zero duration drum notes), there is improved the stability of the audio chord wizard, and more.

Plus, hundreds of RealTracks files have been enhanced and improved with simpler options for RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks, smoother transitions, updated RealCharts and Hi-Q RealCharts, improved transcriptions, and revised endings! Check out the full list of RealTracks and other Add-on improvements with build 715 here.

We didn't stop there – the VST DAW Plugin is also updated with this patch, adding TONS of enhancements and a new Shortcuts file feature! Now you can easily zoom within the Plugin, smoothly drag tracks, use the P hotkey to toggle between part markers, transpose chords to "natural accidentals," the scrolling has been improved, and more!

Read the detailed list of enhancements included in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 715 for Windows or download it here.

Using the Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Pro or MegaPAK? Upgrade to the UltraPAK today to get the most out of the latest build 715!

Holiday Hours - Happy Easter!

Our Easter Weekend hours are:

Customer Service:
April 10 - Good Friday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8)
April 11 - Saturday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8) (regular hours of operation)
April 12 - Easter Sunday: Closed.
April 13 - Easter Monday: 6:00AM to 6:00PM PST (GMT -8) (regular hours of operation)

Technical Service:
Closed April 10-12 (Will re-open Monday, April 13 at 10:00AM PST)

All of our hours list here.

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - MultiRiffs!

This feature was initially offered with the VST DAW Plugin, and now it's available directly in Band-in-a-Box®! MultiRiffs allows you to quickly generate 7 variations of either a portion of the track (which would generate 7 variations of "Riffs" of a four-bar guitar solo), or the whole song with 7 variations that are generated to play different material at all times.

Read all about this feature here, or check out our New Features Video (46:00) to see it in action!

Interview: Aaron Short & PG Music's Tobin!

Check out Aaron Short's LIVE interview with PG Music's Tobin!
Click here to watch.

This was recorded LIVE at 1pm PST, April 8, 2020.

#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser

Don't forget about the new Feature Browser added to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac! (and Windows)

This feature is GREAT to help you locate a feature within the program!

How does it work? Access this feature by clicking on the [?] button on the main screen of the program or pressing the / Enter keys on the Chord Sheet. This dialog lists many features of the program and allows you to browse them, find the feature by text filter, read descriptions about the feature, find how to launch the feature, access to the online information or video about the feature, and do more.

Examples of a few situations where this feature is helpful:
-You know about a feature but don't know how to find it. Just type a part of the feature name and you'll see the hotkeys, menu, and toolbar info on how to launch it. For example, if you want to launch the Chord Builder but don’t know how to do it, type "builder" in the text filter, and you will quickly find the Chord Builder.
-You are exploring available features for Band-in-a-Box. For example, if you are a guitar player, type the word "guitar" and you'll see what's available.
-You prefer "one-stop-shopping" and would like to launch features from the same dialog.
-You are learning the program and like to browse or watch videos about topics you're interested in.
-You can't remember hotkeys and want to review them.

Read more about this new feature here, or watch the video.

Don't Wait to Start with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac - Download Now!

Want to get started with the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac right away?

Order now and start downloading Band-in-a-Box® 2020 right away!

Place your order before April and up to 50% off of your upgrade! You'll also receive a Free Bonus PAK full of amazing Add-ons, which you can upgrade to the 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks)!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac packages page for all the purchase options available.

Having your order shipped? Your PG Music Inc. online account will list your purchase under "My Products" - you can download while you wait!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Patch Updates Ready! (2019 & 2020)

We've JUST released FREE Updates for existing Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 and 2020 program users!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323

What do these include?

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407: (get it here)
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List was empty if launched from main toolbar.
Improved: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: Buttons in Custom toolbar are not draggable.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Find a Sub for RealDrums menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.
Fixed: Some style demos for the newest RealTracks would not play.
Fixed: Song title will be changed to ? when re-saving if it previously contained international characters like é or ©.

DAW Plugin 2.5.18
Fixed: "Open Recent" opened file chooser dialog
Fixed: Unfold feature not working with some songs
Fixed: Choruses not resetting when playback is stopped in DAW
Fixed: Chord superscripts
Fixed: Clicking zoom many times will crash standalone plugin
Fixed: Undo removes all chords after opening a song
Fixed: Buzzing sound in Studio One
Fixed: Plugin determining chord accidentals now matches main program
Fixed: Removed alert menu when sync playing tracks that are not up-to-date (generated).
Fixed: Cancelling generate made song lose "dirty" state
Fixed: All selected tracks should drag from the plugin
Fixed: Shortcut file feature not working always working. Support was also added for pgshortc.txt files
Fixed: Double clicking grey area in chord sheet started playback
Fixed: Bar highlighting skipped last chorus when the start bar is greater than 1
Fixed: Right-click on bar should first launch popup menu
Fixed: Double clicking anywhere on a track should open its picker
Added: About to File Menu
Added: "year" to plugin name
Fixed: remove sync tempo button if already synced
Fixed: improve 2 finger scroll (too fast)

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323: (get it here)
Fixed: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.

Forum Stats
31631 Members
65 Forums
63466 Topics
537334 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
eja411, stratusphunk, Haderlie, Pecos, el-bazi

31630 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 217
Matt Finley 211