Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#586281 03/18/20 11:08 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A recent collab that was fun to write and record. I can get the track info later. Style is ska with a definite reggae groove.

Writers are Herb Hartley and Brandon McLean.

Wonderful Day

Enjoy!

Band is:

Bass 3486
Drums Ska slow classic
Guitar 3492
B3 2619
Steel drums 3527

Brandon is singing and I'm in the background making noises and such things.... and harmony vox.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/18/20 01:55 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The verses are almost mono with the exception of the drums n keyboard and sometimes the added vocals.
Might have been worthwhile going full mono.
Nice song but the main voice doesn't sound joyous in the chorus.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like it. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Cool. Nice uplifting beat. I like the Ska sound. Good work to all involved.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love it, it's got that 60's west Indian style, which is really bouncy. Bit like the style the fabulous goombay dance band had

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A little more info on this.

Yep, it's essentially a rough draft with absolutely no vocal fix. Just a quick and dirty mix for Brandon to use on a project he has coming up. His band is getting a lot of airplay in NC and they are playing in a concert with several other bands...( assuming the C-19 fiasco doesn't side line it ) and they were scheduled to go to the radio station with the other bands to promote the upcoming show and jam to something on the air in the studio...and this was to be that jammable something. Since Brandon's band is very likely going to cover this on their next album project, it will likely not be tweeked much beyond what you hear in this version.

This write took maybe...maybe 30 minutes total... I had a rough idea from Brandon's mp3 recorded on a phone clip, and put a few thoughts together. When we sat down in the studio, it was like hey... how about this? Yeah that works, lets use it. And a few minutes later we had the song written and done. We realized it fit the same style as the song by WAR: Why can't we be friends.... and that was ok with us. Not a typical song like either of us tend to write. Most of my writing is across the internet or alone, so this was the very first time I had set down in the same room to write with someone in decades.

Rayc: I hear what you say. Thank you for the input

dcuny: I'm glad. It's a happy little song. Thanks

jptx3: We all need a bit of uplifting these days huh? Thanks

Furry: I was trying to channel Bob Marley mon.... Guess I needed more ganga... Thanks

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/19/20 03:16 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A fun listen. Sometimes that is all a song needs to be...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We've long enjoyed a ska/reggae groove.

So it was quite a surprise to hear this song.

Janice said it gave her "happy feet!" smile

Enjoyed it.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Whoa-o-o-o, what a wonderful song. You two nailed that sound! Good choices made for tracks.

Are the Ska drums from biab? I saw you listed them but wasn't sure if they were from this or another Library.

I know you mentioned you were trying to channel Bob Marley. I have to say Bob Marley and Herb have always gone together from what I understand.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Guitarhacker,

cool ska song - toe-tapping and good fun. Enjoyed the lisiten.

Stay healthy,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Floyd: Yep... sometimes that's all we need. A song to make us smile and forget our troubles .... thanks

Janice & Bud.... "happy feet" I love it.... sounds like you did too... thanks

Hear to Learn: Yep, this is from BB/RB. The style only had 3 instruments so I grabbed 2 more from RB. Thanks for the listen

Stefan: Glad you enjoyed it too. Thanks. Yep, we're hanging out in the woods. Wife is a teacher and they shut the schools for at least 2 weeks. Me, I only go out to do service calls for my customers, check the mail, and train my dog.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great feel, guys. Try not to dance to this. You make some great background noise, Herb. Great use of the ska/reggae, especially the steel drums. Very entertaining.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
BabuMusic #586957 03/21/20 01:53 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Great feel, guys. Try not to dance to this. You make some great background noise, Herb. Great use of the ska/reggae, especially the steel drums. Very entertaining.

My dog Lilly was in the studio with us so she has to get credit for yawns and whining. Brandon laughed at that.

Thanks for the comments

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool groove on this. Fun listen. Well done Herb

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Scott C #587231 03/23/20 03:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool groove on this. Fun listen. Well done Herb

This was a fun little project. Glad you like it Scott. Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hay mon, you nailed this!

This is fantastic. You even got those steel drums working, excellent!

Everything about this is top shelf.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
'Guitarhacker' and Mr. McClean...

Hm-m-m...between your Wonderful Day, me & 'jptjpt's' That's How Much I Love You, and 'janessan's' The Best and Irresistible, it seems that recently there's been a small-scale eruption of 'island'-style music happenin' on the User's Forum smile.

You got some high-energy melody and percussion really bursting out of the song. If I was a (sucessful, ha, ha laugh !!) boxer, I could get a serious jump-rope rhythm going on while listening to this infectious (pun intended) song laugh !!!

I don't comment on 'mixes', but self-imposed rules are made to be broken, 'cuz this song called attention to it. If you had faded-in at the beginning and faded-out at the end, and applied a rising-and-falling arc of volume 'tween those two points, I would've sworn that I had heard a live, performing band going down the street -- that's how much 'presence' the recording had.

Thanks for keeping us User's Forum listeners' spirits up, gents !!!

Truly,

LOREN (a.k.a. 'bluage')

Last edited by bluage; 03/23/20 05:59 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Herb,

Really fun tune—pulls you in from the first note. Brandon does a great job on the vocal (as do you with your noises smile ). Very upbeat, very positive—the kind of song that becomes an ear worm quickly and puts folk in a good mood real easy. Nicely done!

Best regards,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario: Steel drums.... they set a certain groove for sure... thanks That reminds me that I have another much much older song with steel drums in it. I need to find that old thing and drag it out and see if it's time for a facelift. I know it was well before my BB days

Loren: Glad you like it. We were kinda going for a live, jam session kind of feel. Glad you picked up on that.

Deej: Ear worm.... what every songwriter hopes their song becomes. Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Even opened up a different browser for this song, and that one won't play it either. Sorry! Love to hear it! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
This is an excellent song, and very catchy - still got the chorus running through my mind. I read the comments that this was a quick and rough draft, so I'll leave the critical comments out, which were minor in any case. It sounds like great fun, and I think you definitely have tapped into some Bob Marley reggae spirit there. I think this has real potential with some more work, so looking forward to hearing more on this song, and other songs too.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195