Print Thread
Go To
#584922 03/10/20 01:28 PM
Beginners Forum
G
GaryRM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Lost all sound in RealBand. Help, how do I get sound back?

GaryRM #584930 03/10/20 01:50 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Options-Preferences-Audio tab - Drivers button (?)

Sounds like a driver issue; do you see signal in the output meters?

Is the file MIDI or Audio (or both)?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
GaryRM #585013 03/11/20 03:17 AM
Beginners Forum
G
GaryRM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
no output signal. Midi or audio - not sure. went to Options-Preferences-Audio tab - Drivers button, most everything there is Greek to me.

GaryRM #585044 03/11/20 05:24 AM
Beginners Forum
G
GaryRM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Actually, on my last attempt it dawned on me that the problem may not be audio at all because I realized that after creating a sample song with chords and then click the PLAY button nothing happens --- the song doesn't play.

GaryRM #585045 03/11/20 05:29 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GaryRM
Actually, on my last attempt it dawned on me that the problem may not be audio at all because I realized that after creating a sample song with chords and then click the PLAY button nothing happens --- the song doesn't play.

A song must be generated prior to playing. Just click on the play+ icon, the song will be generated and then start to play. Let us know if that worked for you.

Note play will just play an already generated song without changing anything. The Play+ icon will regenerated a song every time you click on it, thus giving you a different version of the song.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
GaryRM #585047 03/11/20 05:34 AM
Beginners Forum
G
GaryRM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I have looked thru all the menu options to try to determine why song won't play, but having no luck. HELP!!!

GaryRM #585054 03/11/20 06:07 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I don't see where you reference which version you are using. Is it 2020 version 3? If not, do an update.

Is it audio or MIDI that is not playing?

Also, was it working correctly before? What's changed?

Are you using a VSTi, an external sound module or the built in default synth?

Click on the MIDI devices icon and tell us which devices are highlighted in blue and any other items that may be checked.

You might want to do a Factory reset. Go to Options, Perferences and click Reset to Default settings.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
GaryRM #585070 03/11/20 07:42 AM
Beginners Forum
G
GaryRM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
In BIAB there is a "play+ icon", however, in RealBands I find no such icon/button

GaryRM #585072 03/11/20 07:46 AM
Beginners Forum
G
GaryRM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
In RealBand when I click on the green play button absolutely nothing happens (does not play. So disappointing.

GaryRM #585077 03/11/20 08:06 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Your original post seemed to indicate that RealBand used to play.

I would look at a few things. Does anything else play on your computer (for example, do you get sound when playing a Youtube video)? That at least lets you know your sound card is working.

The next thing is to determine which audio driver you are using. You may have up to three choices, depending upon what is installed on your machine: MME, ASIO, and WASAPI (or just WAS). Be aware that not all sound cards work properly with WAS and ASIO will only be available if you have the driver installed. Not all sound cards come with an ASIO driver, but you can download and install ASIO4ALL, which "wraps" your MME driver and presents it as an ASIO driver (so you get the lower latency ASIO provides).

I would suggest starting with MME. Then loading a RealStyle (they start with an underscore) from the Style Picker (we'll get into MIDI later). Once you have selected a style, you can then select "Generate All BB Tracks (Entire Song)" to generate all the tracks. Once generated, see if they play.

If you want MIDI to sound, you either need to have an external MIDI module connected (perhaps a MIDI arranger keyboard) or use the built in Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, or select a DXi/VSTi synth (CoyoteWT should have been installed when you installed BIAB/RB). Select it and click on the Re-Route MIDI playback checkbox to test it out.

See if you can play both audio and MIDI tracks using MME. Once you confirm that works, then I would try using either ASIO or WAS to get lower latency and better performance.

Let us know what you find out.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
GaryRM #585113 03/11/20 10:42 AM
Beginners Forum
G
GaryRM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
RESPONSE TO JEFF'S POST

Jeff: I don't see where you reference which version you are using. Is it 2020 version 3? If not, do an update.
Gary: RealBand version 2020 {1} I don't see anywhere in the RB to to an update. I did a complete reinstall.

Jeff: Is it audio or MIDI that is not playing?
Gary: both

Jeff: Are you using a VSTi, an external sound module or the built in default synth?
Gary: I don't know what VSTI is, but I think it is the built in default synth.

Jeff: Click on the MIDI devices icon and tell us which devices are highlighted in blue and any other items that may be checked.
Gary: microsoft GS wavetable synth & microsoft midi mapper

Jeff: You might want to do a Factory reset. Go to Options, Perferences and click Reset to Default settings.
Gary: I've tried that numerous times - to no avail.

GaryRM #585128 03/11/20 11:25 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
You can download RealBand 2020 Build 3 +++here+++.

Save the file, then run the installer and make sure you select the correct folders for the installation.

Then try running again.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

GaryRM #585181 03/11/20 03:32 PM
Beginners Forum
G
GaryRM Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Tech Support solved my issue:

Ember: Keep in mind that RealBand is intended for editing, mastering,
and mixing your already existing Band-in-a-Box SGU and MGU files.

Gary: I did not know this, so I loaded a BIAB song and sure enough it
worked - play and audio both

Ember: but you can always create songs from scratch by recording
things in to the program.

Gary: I don't know how this works but i'll experiment with this later.

So what is the advantage/benefit of the RB over BIAB?

GaryRM #585200 03/11/20 07:01 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GaryRM
So what is the advantage/benefit of the RB over BIAB?

There are many, but the most 'appreciated' ones are:
- 48 individual tracks.
- Tempo changes can be in fractions, not whole values (e.g. RB allows 125.6, where BiaB will only allow you to select 125 or 126).
- You can generate only selected section of a track (BiaB can now sort of do this but it's a work in progress).
- You can easily put MIDI or Audio on any available track (less limitations to only the Soloist or Melodist tracks).
- More than 255 bars (BiaB is limited to only 255 bars of music).
- More DAW-like operation.

No doubt others will chime in with their favorites.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
GaryRM #585289 03/12/20 07:07 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Keep in mind that RealBand is intended for editing, mastering,
and mixing your already existing Band-in-a-Box SGU and MGU files.

Well I'll buy that this is one use, but not the primary use.

It is a Digital Audio Workstation that supports BIAB features, but also lets you record audio from multiple sources (limited by your sound card setup), as well as create MIDI parts, assign effects and virtual instruments, , use up to 48 tracks, generate harmonies on separate tracks, and a whole bunch of other features (some of which Trevor - Videotrack - shared above).

John

GaryRM #586271 03/18/20 10:34 AM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
For what its worth i've been using BIAB since it was on floppy discs and have always done basic song creation in BIAB and then - originally - finished the song in PowerTracks. Now I use RB but the principle is the same. BIAB seems to me to have got more and more complicated to do the things that a DAW would do but it's much simpler to do them in RB.

BIAB has got more and more complicated to do things it wasn't originally designed to do.

A machine goes through three stages (according to SF writer Robert Heinlein). The first is a version that works but has problems and inefficiencies. The second is a version with bits added on and complicated gubbins added to cure the problems of the first version.

The third stage is a simplified and streamlined version that needs no cumbersome addons and just works the way it should have done in the first place!

I think BIAB will always be at stage 2 if you try to do everything within the program. Use it at it's very simplest and it's stage 3 for basic song production. RB is the complementary program that does all the things BIAB struggles to do.

BIAB and RB are an unbeatable package.

GaryRM #586311 03/18/20 01:14 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
The point to take away is that BiaB does some stuff better and faster, and RB does some stuff better and faster.
Most users of both programs agree;
Tinker with Chord progression, tempo and styles in BiaB until you get something reasonably close. It's much faster at giving you a good representation of the style/chord combination.
Then use RB to hone in and work on each track, or section of a track, to make it better.

Their main screens kind of imply what their forte is.
BiaB main screen is a table with chords in a pattern. Using this you can (very quickly) generate all the tracks in a style and see what it sounds like. Experiment until you get close.

RB main screen is rows of tracks, because it's strength is working on each of the tracks. You can see and easily edit one (or many) track(s) at once. And be much more granular and exacting in what you change.

RB can also start as a totally clean empty slate where you can generate 50 bars of drums in any RealDrum available.
Then create a chord sheet and generate a bass line track in a different style.
Then see what a finger picked acoustic would sound like with these other tracks by generating that on another track.

Simply put RB was originally designed to be a DAW, and still behaves as such. But it still does BiaB stuff.

BiaB does BiaB stuff, but it does it much faster and in a more simplified way (better).
Some people like the simplicity. I do until I don't, so I usually move on to RB pretty quickly once I got an idea of tempo, chords and style.

.. and don't even get me started about time signatures .. RB rules there.
Try to generate something in true 5/4, 7/4, 11/16 etc in BiaB; not possible.
RB does it like it's an every day thing.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,103
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185