Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Unnamed is disingenuous as it's a well known song but is a cover that I shouldn't post BUT it is an experiment in BIAB strings as well as other parts.
Sung by CeeBee of Germany.
The "strings" are built from two separate iterations of a RealTrack string quartet as well as a cello and a fiddle squished together with some master bus style compression and EQ boost in different parts of each to emphasize the movement. Added to them are a couple of Mel9 tracks as well as a simple track using the Yamaha FX500's Soft Focus setting which creates a pad/bed for the strings. Oh, I also used the Mel9 clarinet to create a sound that moved between chords.
Additional BIAB tracks are one of the classical guitars (there are four - three by me) and DRUMS. the other bits are me, a Mustang (Squire), a Marshall amp and a Vantage bass.
It's not been "mastered": just straight from the stereo bus.
Unknown unnamed BIAB experiment
Unknown - louder vocals
STRING THINGs
STRINGS n THINGS
Volume, pan & bypass envleopes
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz7jyd27n47erab/string%20automation.png?dl=0[/img]

EQing for differences.
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8ci6j3l3ye0ncm/string%20EQs.png?dl=0[/img]

Last edited by rayc; 03/20/20 12:08 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Strings sound good to me, I've never had much with them myself, especially during chord changes. I like the guitars too.

Is this you on vocal? I like it, you have a good character voice. Should be a bit louder though in places IMHO.

Nice ending!

Great song too of course wink

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Using strings for a solid base is something that most people overlook (I think). This is a good demonstration of how they can carry the load.

All the supporting players sound good - guitars, drums and (especially) bass...

Vocal works (as Dave mentioned...it could be louder).

A big sound (once I turned my speakers up enough).

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Strings can easily form a solid base as this proves.

Nice work. In places it reminds me of the Moody Blues and how they used strings to great effect in some of their music.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/19/20 03:55 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Strings are above our paygrade -- just too much happening with them for my old brain to comprehend mixing. But, man, you made good use of them.

You singing? Cool.

Like the way you got the RT fiddle and cello to work in so well with the string quartet. Nice guitar and bass things happening also.

Lush, mellow rock that keeps one engaged all the way through...

Yeah!

J&B

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks folks,
the singer is a chap who goes by CeeBee, and is a BIAB user, I know from a different forum.
The trick I found with the strings was to generate two different quartets and then, using EQ, focus on a different aspect of each by boosting that difference. Afterward I blended in the cello & fiddle with, again, variation in the EQ. The Mel9 parts, orchestra & strings, allowed me to generate movement from chord to chord. I sent them all to a bus, added a little reverb, hammered it with a heavy compressor and then played with the levels across the song.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ray,

I like working with strings very much, as you may have noticed in my songs. But I didn't use them so orchestrally as you did in this song. That is still a bit too difficult I fear. the way you used them in your song is very nice. This supports the song in a great way. Together with the guitar they make a very interesting, intriguing melody. The vocals in it reminds me of Shane MacGowan from the Pogues, an Irish-English folk/punkband. They don't sound nice, but they are interesting and are therefore very good. Though the song is nearly 6 minutes, I found it a bit too short...

I agree with others on the forum the vocals must be mixed a bit more upfront. But you wrote this was an unmixed/mastered version, so I'm not complaining, just telling.

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Ray,

I've always admired people who manage to use strings in their arrangements, because I've tried it so often, but never managed to get them right, so I alwys deleted them after a while.

It's not only an art to get the right sound - I always found it hard to write their parts, much harder than writing a brass arrangement.

What you did sounds really good and (I guess you're the vocalist) very cool singing.

All the best,

Stefan

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Your voice has a soothing feel and it makes me want to listen closer to what you are saying. I agree it needs to be louder. I can almost identify the song, maybe Pink Floyd. I do like the strings.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nicely done, rayc. Strings sound great! I try to use them from time to time, but haven'e gotten them to behave as you have so masterfully done here.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I don't know the original so this is all new to me. I like it. A great mood piece. I like it. Great use of BIAB.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love this track, strings really give it a warmth. Trouble with the RT strings is that I find them too choppy in a lot of chord changes. They sound a LOT more natural on this recording though. Well done

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Just listening to the strings track alone, I think it loses the character of "real" strings and has more the Mellotron sound.

In context, they work, but I'm not sure they're any better than using a plain string pad.

My general feeling is that you shouldn't have to do this sort of editing to get good RT tracks out of BiaB.

Earlier this week I was working on a backing track for a friend, and decided to try out some RealTrack strings. Ironically, I picked 2458 - Strings, Rhythm CelticWaltz Ev 100, which are actually sampled strings played on a keyboard.

They were completely unusable. Chords had random gaps between them, and it skipped from one register to the next without rhyme or reason. Even manually crossfading the transitions wasn't enough.

I know that putting together good RealTracks isn't trivial. But I really can't understand how such sloppy editing got past QC.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Just listening to the strings track alone, I think it loses the character of "real" strings and has more the Mellotron sound.

In context, they work, but I'm not sure they're any better than using a plain string pad.

My general feeling is that you shouldn't have to do this sort of editing to get good RT tracks out of BiaB.

Chords had random gaps between them, and it skipped from one register to the next without rhyme or reason.

dcuny,
I, mostly, agree.
The Mellotron sound you hear is actually the FX500 - a thick pad but is guitar generated. The Mel9 strings are quite low in the mix and the clarinet is more prominent.
The Sudden cuts etc that Real Strings generate is the reason for the FX 500 track - it helps fill those gaps.
Personally I can hear the different characters within some of the Real tracks.
The strings on offer aren't good enough to work on their own and that's a given for a few RTs at present. Context is needed for the brain to accept them. As an experiment I think it was instructive and as music I think, within the context of the song, it worked. Perhaps PG will get the hint.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> Chords had random gaps between them, and it skipped from one register to the next without rhyme or reason. Even manually crossfading the transitions wasn't enough.

Yes, strings are sensitive to gaps or timbre changes from transpositions. There are some things you can do to improve that though, within BIAB.

These things typically improve transitions on strings.
1. Thickening, so 4 string parts play instead of one. This is done in the realTracks picker using the medley button (after selecting the correct track with the radio buttons)
And
Disabling “allow transpositions (song settings dialog). Transposing can introduce timbre differences on some sounds like strings.

or 2. Switching to a MIDI SuperTracks 2059 Celtic Waltz Strings. That replaces the RealTracks with a MIDI equivalent. That would cure the different timbre changes you noticed.

I tried these, and they each improved transitions a lot. It just takes a few seconds to do this, and hear the results. It’s possible for us to revisit those realTracks and make that happen automatically (thickening, no transpositions). That would just be a setting, no editing of tracks needed. In the meantime, those suggestions might help.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,
I listened for the strings ( though the vocalist has the right amount of smoke in his verse for this great song)- really glad you posted your efforts as I often wonder how to use them to get close to the orchestral sounds I hear in my head. I liked the way you used the cello overtop of the string section towards the end.

Thanks to Peter for the tips above... maybe they should be on a tips article somewhere- I know I`ll forget them!

Robert

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
>>> Chords had random gaps between them, and it skipped from one register to the next without rhyme or reason. Even manually crossfading the transitions wasn't enough.

Yes, strings are sensitive to gaps or timbre changes from transpositions. There are some things you can do to improve that though, within BIAB.

These things typically improve transitions on strings.
1. Thickening, so 4 string parts play instead of one. This is done in the realTracks picker using the medley button (after selecting the correct track with the radio buttons)
And
Disabling “allow transpositions (song settings dialog). Transposing can introduce timbre differences on some sounds like strings.

or 2. Switching to a MIDI SuperTracks 2059 Celtic Waltz Strings. That replaces the RealTracks with a MIDI equivalent. That would cure the different timbre changes you noticed.

I tried these, and they each improved transitions a lot. It just takes a few seconds to do this, and hear the results. It’s possible for us to revisit those realTracks and make that happen automatically (thickening, no transpositions). That would just be a setting, no editing of tracks needed. In the meantime, those suggestions might help.

Excellent tips PG.I'll try option one as I'm not fussed on MIDI. I think the transposition one will make things flow much better too.
THANKS

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
HUGE fan of the strings here!

A while back I actually posted a video on how to make strings, among other tracks, more natural sounding and with smoother transitions.

The entire video is relevant, but for the example demonstrating strings, skip to 10 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUBNZvNAjzk&t=83s

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
HUGE fan of the strings here!

A while back I actually posted a video on how to make strings, among other tracks, more natural sounding and with smoother transitions.

The entire video is relevant, but for the example demonstrating strings, skip to 10 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUBNZvNAjzk&t=83s

Thank you,
I'm downloading the vid as I type.
Two sets of tips to improve - I enjoy the learning curve.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ray,
Strong collaboration!
This is quite different. I am sure many hours and trials & errors went into production, but it surely paid off. Making strings do what you want is like training cats, you done a grand job on them! Overall amazing large sound! Bass certainly injected some life into this. Vocals fit very well. I liked the version with louder vocals. I know this is a special tune, and my honest opinion, CeeBee's voice worked very well on this. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191