You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#587274 - 03/23/20 11:50 AM [User Showcase] New Blues song TRYING
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I have been listening to Joe Bonnamassa a lot here recently. Innovative blues to say the least. So Brandon McLean sent me an idea and this is what came out of it.

TRYING (V2)

The band is totally BB/RB

Bass 1592
B3 873
Guitars 3436 & 3437
Lead 3438
Drums Northern rock
Ohhs and ahhhs 2976 x2

One lead vocal track

Lyrics

TRYING

I've found that the puzzle is always harder then it looks
I've found there's things, you just can't learn, from any book
I found I sometimes ....I sometimes make mistakes
I found that there's always one more rule to break

The rules of the game, keep changing day by day.
I'd like to win it just one time but it seems there is no way
It's like a game of luck.... that you can never win.
You can't give up, you can't walk out, gotta give it one more spin

I'll keep trying, trying, trying to survive,
I'll keep trying, trying, trying to stay alive
I'll keep trying, trying, one day I realized
I can't lay down and die, So I'm not done trying,

solo

You can lead or follow but don't get in my way
I won't wait until tomorrow, I'm gonna live my life today
I won't let no body, no body bring me down
Stand in line and take your turn I'm gonna get up off the ground

Enjoy

Edited by Guitarhacker (03/25/20 07:40 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#587277 - 03/23/20 12:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Gosh Guitarhacker! Outstanding song and production. Thanks.

Mike B.

#587292 - 03/23/20 01:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Herb

Nicely done - impressive use of the guitar realtracks, and a strong vocal.

Enjoyed it.

Peter

#587346 - 03/23/20 07:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Hey Herb ...

You outdid yourself on this one ... terrific song!

This is my favorite of yours that I heard. The lead guitar is perfect. And your vocal is so strong and oozes a powerful surge. This is one of my very favorite listens over the past couple of days. Wishing you the very best...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#587427 - 03/24/20 06:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: cubanpete]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Gosh Guitarhacker! Outstanding song and production. Thanks.

Mike B.

Thanks... glad you liked this. I probably spent more time on the ooooh/ahhhh tracks than anything else. Some copy/paste and lots of enveloping.

#587428 - 03/24/20 06:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: PeterF]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Herb

Nicely done - impressive use of the guitar realtracks, and a strong vocal.

Enjoyed it.

Peter

I was torn between sticking with the nice track for guitar that Real band handed me, or playing my own. I opted to be lazy since I have a number of projects and limited time.... I do think the track was pretty nicely played by RB. On the vocal.... just belt it out. Thanks

#587429 - 03/24/20 06:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Al-David]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey Herb ...

You outdid yourself on this one ... terrific song!

This is my favorite of yours that I heard. The lead guitar is perfect. And your vocal is so strong and oozes a powerful surge. This is one of my very favorite listens over the past couple of days. Wishing you the very best...

Alan

Good to hear I'm still outdoing myself in your opinion. THanks.

#587433 - 03/24/20 06:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Germany
Crossroads Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
Hi guitarhacker,

oh, yes, Bonnamassa - unelievable. Another great 'new' blues guy you might enjoy: Mark Kerr. Check out 'Thick Side' (https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtk39). The corresponding album is great, too.

Speakung about 'great' - I do love TRYING a lot - great lyrics, very good vocals (I'm a fan of your singing anyway')and it's got that spoecial blues feeling.Didn't look it up, but I'm pretty sure that wild guitar solo is being played by Brent Mason, right?

Stay healthy,

Stefan

#587438 - 03/24/20 06:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Ontario, Canada
BlueAttitude Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Excellent! Only thing missing is a guitar track from you, although the realtrack is perfect for the song.

I'm really into Joe Bonamassa also, he is the best thing that happened to blues since SRV. Seen him in concert a couple of times, last year at Red Rocks in Colorado was the most recent time (bucket list item).

Great stuff, Herb, enjoyed!

Blue Attitude Website

#587445 - 03/24/20 07:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

HolyMoly that is loud! After listening the the James/Deej song this nearly blew my speakers set at the same level.

A good overall sound to this. That RT lead is super. The bass and drums are at a good level.

A good vocal with heart. Tucked in well. It has an over-driven sound to it that sometimes sounds like the mic is being hit too hard and red-lining. Do you have a saturation plugin on that? It works well to get the vocal in the mix at the right place (but in a few places it is a tiny bit overdone).

A good listen.

#587452 - 03/24/20 08:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Elliott Kayne Offline
Apprentice

Great blues tune, nice energy, good production ... just a tip: back off on the volume a bit and add some eq to roll off the top end a bit to smooth out tone. Great job!

http://www.KayneMusic.com
My Posts:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=userposts&id=12285
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ekayne

#587458 - 03/24/20 08:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

Loc: Finland
Strong message and delivery, I like how first two verses are about obstacles and the last one more positive with fighting spirit. And the chorus ties it together: "I can't lay down and die, so I'm not done trying", powerful. Very emotional singing and the lead guitar is well alive.

Janne

#587471 - 03/24/20 09:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Nice song - good production and performance.

But it comes across on my speakers as harsh, like the high frequencies are hyped and overdriven.

Then again, it could just be my allergies messing with me. Ah, springtime!

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#587533 - 03/24/20 03:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
HolyMoly that is loud! After listening the the James/Deej song this nearly blew my speakers set at the same level.

A good overall sound to this. That RT lead is super. The bass and drums are at a good level.

A good vocal with heart. Tucked in well. It has an over-driven sound to it that sometimes sounds like the mic is being hit too hard and red-lining. Do you have a saturation plugin on that? It works well to get the vocal in the mix at the right place (but in a few places it is a tiny bit overdone).

A good listen.

Agreed!! An excellent listen!! But sometimes the saturation (or effect) is a bit too much. Really dig everything about the tune!! Finally got to hear one of yours.....Soundcloud. Take care. Greg

#587630 - 03/25/20 07:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

NOTE: remixed and reposted.

Version 2 3-25-20

TRYING

Fixes....

BGV lowered bt several dB
Guitar rolled off and smashed.
Vox.... yep I had a saturation plug that I had played with and forgot to remove it. It's gone now.
Vox rolled off the bottom with a high pass shelf
Whole mix, rolled off

See what ye think now

Edited by Guitarhacker (03/25/20 07:45 AM)

#587636 - 03/25/20 08:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
BabuMusic Offline
Apprentice

Well done on the remix! The guitar is awesome. I thought at first it was you, but looked it up. The ooz and oz are subtle and well used. Man, I wish God gave me a bit a your vocal range. Really strong. Quite an enjoyable tune.

Babu Music on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDrsXTXfShgnGalQZ0ElQw
Me on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
My website: http://martystraub.com/

using Band in a Box & Cakewalk

#587642 - 03/25/20 08:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
Birchwood Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Netherlands, Haarlem
I can't lay down and die, So I'm not done trying...

What a nice line, Guitarhacker
And what a cool song you made! Your vocals are very strong in it.
At the first notes of your song, just when you start singing, it sounded as if it was a song from Jimy Hendrix.
Soon after that, this feeling disappeared, but that wasn't a pity at all. How you performed in this song is very good. The band is also very good. So I was pleasantly surprised listening to this!

I agree I still had to turn the volume knob down after your adjustments, but I liked what I heard. So you done trying it the good way!

Hans

#587676 - 03/25/20 10:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Blues song TRYING [Re: Guitarhacker]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

Hi herb great vocal lyrics and mix someone said you weren't playing the solo I though it was you I say that because I like your guitarwork thanks for sharing stay safe eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Just Got Better!

All our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows users will be thrilled with the enhancements added with the latest FREE Update (build 715)!

The program stability is vastly improved, with fewer possible crashes, BeStPlain chord font support has been added for additional chords, mid/xml/mxl file import has been tweaked to better handle certain cases (e.g. ties, zero duration drum notes), there is improved the stability of the audio chord wizard, and more.

Plus, hundreds of RealTracks files have been enhanced and improved with simpler options for RealTracks and MIDI SuperTracks, smoother transitions, updated RealCharts and Hi-Q RealCharts, improved transcriptions, and revised endings! Check out the full list of RealTracks and other Add-on improvements with build 715 here.

We didn't stop there – the VST DAW Plugin is also updated with this patch, adding TONS of enhancements and a new Shortcuts file feature! Now you can easily zoom within the Plugin, smoothly drag tracks, use the P hotkey to toggle between part markers, transpose chords to "natural accidentals," the scrolling has been improved, and more!

Read the detailed list of enhancements included in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 build 715 for Windows or download it here.

Using the Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Pro or MegaPAK? Upgrade to the UltraPAK today to get the most out of the latest build 715!

Holiday Hours - Happy Easter!

Our Easter Weekend hours are:

Customer Service:
April 10 - Good Friday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8)
April 11 - Saturday: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST (GMT -8) (regular hours of operation)
April 12 - Easter Sunday: Closed.
April 13 - Easter Monday: 6:00AM to 6:00PM PST (GMT -8) (regular hours of operation)

Technical Service:
Closed April 10-12 (Will re-open Monday, April 13 at 10:00AM PST)

All of our hours list here.

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 - MultiRiffs!

This feature was initially offered with the VST DAW Plugin, and now it's available directly in Band-in-a-Box®! MultiRiffs allows you to quickly generate 7 variations of either a portion of the track (which would generate 7 variations of "Riffs" of a four-bar guitar solo), or the whole song with 7 variations that are generated to play different material at all times.

Read all about this feature here, or check out our New Features Video (46:00) to see it in action!

Interview: Aaron Short & PG Music's Tobin!

Check out Aaron Short's LIVE interview with PG Music's Tobin!
Click here to watch.

This was recorded LIVE at 1pm PST, April 8, 2020.

#TipTuesday - The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Feature Browser

Don't forget about the new Feature Browser added to Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac! (and Windows)

This feature is GREAT to help you locate a feature within the program!

How does it work? Access this feature by clicking on the [?] button on the main screen of the program or pressing the / Enter keys on the Chord Sheet. This dialog lists many features of the program and allows you to browse them, find the feature by text filter, read descriptions about the feature, find how to launch the feature, access to the online information or video about the feature, and do more.

Examples of a few situations where this feature is helpful:
-You know about a feature but don't know how to find it. Just type a part of the feature name and you'll see the hotkeys, menu, and toolbar info on how to launch it. For example, if you want to launch the Chord Builder but don’t know how to do it, type "builder" in the text filter, and you will quickly find the Chord Builder.
-You are exploring available features for Band-in-a-Box. For example, if you are a guitar player, type the word "guitar" and you'll see what's available.
-You prefer "one-stop-shopping" and would like to launch features from the same dialog.
-You are learning the program and like to browse or watch videos about topics you're interested in.
-You can't remember hotkeys and want to review them.

Read more about this new feature here, or watch the video.

Don't Wait to Start with Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac - Download Now!

Want to get started with the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac right away?

Order now and start downloading Band-in-a-Box® 2020 right away!

Place your order before April and up to 50% off of your upgrade! You'll also receive a Free Bonus PAK full of amazing Add-ons, which you can upgrade to the 49-PAK for just $49 and add even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks)!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac packages page for all the purchase options available.

Having your order shipped? Your PG Music Inc. online account will list your purchase under "My Products" - you can download while you wait!

Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Patch Updates Ready! (2019 & 2020)

We've JUST released FREE Updates for existing Band-in-a-Box® for Mac 2019 and 2020 program users!

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323

What do these include?

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Update - Build 407: (get it here)
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List was empty if launched from main toolbar.
Improved: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: Buttons in Custom toolbar are not draggable.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: RealDrums Quick List menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Find a Sub for RealDrums menu item did not do anything.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.
Fixed: Some style demos for the newest RealTracks would not play.
Fixed: Song title will be changed to ? when re-saving if it previously contained international characters like é or ©.

DAW Plugin 2.5.18
Fixed: "Open Recent" opened file chooser dialog
Fixed: Unfold feature not working with some songs
Fixed: Choruses not resetting when playback is stopped in DAW
Fixed: Chord superscripts
Fixed: Clicking zoom many times will crash standalone plugin
Fixed: Undo removes all chords after opening a song
Fixed: Buzzing sound in Studio One
Fixed: Plugin determining chord accidentals now matches main program
Fixed: Removed alert menu when sync playing tracks that are not up-to-date (generated).
Fixed: Cancelling generate made song lose "dirty" state
Fixed: All selected tracks should drag from the plugin
Fixed: Shortcut file feature not working always working. Support was also added for pgshortc.txt files
Fixed: Double clicking grey area in chord sheet started playback
Fixed: Bar highlighting skipped last chorus when the start bar is greater than 1
Fixed: Right-click on bar should first launch popup menu
Fixed: Double clicking anywhere on a track should open its picker
Added: About to File Menu
Added: "year" to plugin name
Fixed: remove sync tempo button if already synced
Fixed: improve 2 finger scroll (too fast)

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Update - Build 323: (get it here)
Fixed: Bootup time is faster.
Fixed: It is not possible to type ^ (caret symbol for pushes) in chordsheet if using an Italian keyboard layout.
Fixed: Opening songs from older versions might misinterpret song title as ?.
Fixed: The time signature button on the main toolbar did not do anything.
Fixed: A maximum of 1990 MIDI events are loaded from a song file into the Melody or Soloist track.
Fixed: Various problems with localized versions.

Forum Stats
31630 Members
65 Forums
63465 Topics
537331 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
eja411, stratusphunk, Haderlie, Pecos, el-bazi

31630 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 217
Matt Finley 211