Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#58739 02/02/10 06:08 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My wife plays the flute with me on keys. She took 5 years of University Music, Honours Bachelor of Music, Honors Music Ed. Took piano from 5 years old until it was her final major at school. I know she's way beyond me, for example they give us Brass Band parts, Trombone bass clef, in the wrong key (Trombone guys play in C) and she grabs the score and just writes the new part, in the treble clef, in the right key for Bflat horn, as fast as you can see it happen.

Anyway, she plays the flute, the clarinet, the oboe,the bassoon, the sax, violin, and probably a whack of stuff she never talks about because she was studying to be a high school music band teacher and decided not to do it. She taught piano part time for a few years.

I'm putting together the 'rest of our lives' LOL. Thus the Bose L1 model 2, the Voicelive, the foot controller, the new mic, plus 2 shure mics, stands, etc.

I'm guessing I should get her a wind controller, but know nothing about fingerings etc. Money is not really a problem, unlike my freaking health which is another story. I can get good pay for night gigs I turn down, have some standing invitations at 200 or 300 a night but am not really wanting to stay up past 11. Go figure.

Anyway, 90 percent of the time I record the income against my expenses, and then donate back the money as me and get the tax thing back. I don't need money really, and I can afford to spend 5k or so to get the rest of this going. The flute is junk, but I can spend 10k on a flute and we are sort of 2 dimensional. I'm going to get her a decent keyboard, and want to explore this wind controller thing. I know Notes has one, but what is state of the art, what's with the fingering, how tough is it to set up...

Just looking for advice.

Hope I don't amputate my knee with a dirty kitchen knife before the responses. No one should be this old. I suspect I tore an arthritic ligament. Not the first time...not the last.

Oh well thanks in advance....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have an Akai EWI 4000s. It was purchased from Patchman Music with their set of sounds. Go to:
www.patchmanmusic.com to check it out. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ok thanks guys but the pluses and the minuses are what I want.

Nice to say this and that, but I'm not the guru of the thing.

And I'm not (in case you ever noticed) succinct. So ELOBORATE, yours cost this much but you wish you bought that...yours fingers like...yours can do xyz...get me.

I appreciate a link, but really this is like me telling you how to buy a chainsaw, a subject which I know everything about, including my prejudices, which are probably misleading. Just fishing here, and by the way, 8k was a tad over my idea of a budget, but if she sounds like Kenny G playing anything and helps me make a #1 single ok.

LOL.

The biggest advantage is she's 12 years younger, good looking, blonde, nice smile, good package, musical, and everywhere we play the guys try and figure out why she's with me. They have no idea about my cooking, or her love of leaning, and her favorite phrase is.."I'm never cease to be amazed by the s**t you know. How can you sing the overture to Verdi's Giovanna D'arco note for note ....and I can't say how, I heard it before.. which is meaningless...but she likes it.

I still am laughing because I started humming something to put my grandson (9 months) to sleep the other night and she says "What was that tune?" I said Barber's Adagio for strings, why...? She had to go and listen to it and I don't remember why I know it nor from where. Nice music, very ODD guy. She went to Wikipedia and says ..he was like..and I finish the sentence. I know, and don't know why. Read it once...

Anyway have at me here...I want more than I have this and here's the link, who, what, when where why how. If you had 2k to buy one and can finger a flute and a licorice stick, and an oboe, what would you want?

Sorry, just need Elaboration....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

You just said you wanted wind controller advice, not how to use it!

LOL.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I lean left and there's wind. I lean right and there's wind. pfft.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi John

I have had a yamaha WX5 windcontroller for the last 5 years and it is brilliaint and for someone as talented as your
wife it would be a piece of cake,you really need a yamaha VL70m modual which is mono and it gives you all the different
instruments using pysical modelling and you get the nearest sounds to real instruments,you get a few differant types
of fingering like saxaphone and flute,the mouthpiece is like a clarinet or saxaphone,i get as much fun playing the wx5 as
i do playing acoustic ones,i have never owned a AKIA type and the musician who have do say they play really well
nearly all the music on my web site is played using the wx5 and i have forgotten what it is at this time but if your
intrested i will put it in another reply

regards Dave Hoskins

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I’m learning to play an Akai EWI-USB. Check the video here then download the manual. The vid will tell you everything you need to know about it. You can pick up a new one for $300 USD.

Last edited by MarioD; 02/03/10 07:17 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John, I've played a Yamaha WX5 for over 10 years. Dave gave a good description; the fingering will be no problem at all for someone who has played any woodwind.

A disadvantage, again as Dave said, is that you should get a special hardware sound module that interprets the note bends of a wind instrument, and I too use the Yamaha VL70.

Akai makes two models, but the more expensive one has the sound module built right into the instrument. Makes things a lot simpler hooking it up on a gig. I haven't played it, though.

I prefer playing my real flute or soprano sax, for the sound, so I normally just use the WX5 for things I don't own or know how to play, particularly string bass. In one theater show, I covered the lead trumpet part and the bass part, playing whichever was more valuable to the music at the time. I've accompanied my wife, who plays guitar, and do bass for most of the song, flip a key to take a piccolo solo, and flip back to bass. Crowd pleasing stuff like that.

I realize you both play keyboard too, but you can also connect one of these and enter melodies into BIAB. There are a few tricks, notably blocking all the spurious MIDI messages that result from typical imperfect fingering technique on the thing. It literally sends a million MIDI messages if you let it.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've used BEANO before. Works pretty good.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
As this is white bean country, and we have bean festivals, there are expectations. Unless you have a wood stove it takes $20 to make 6 bucks worth of beans. 9 hours in the oven. But if you soak and drain, boil and drain, boil and drain, you get much less wind which you can control. If you don't do the above you have no control over the gas and every step is an adventure in song.

Thompson's white beans, now I just make them on the woodstove in the cabin.

And men have gas, I heard women don't because they tend to have it escape out their mouth....

I live with 2 women and it's shut up John week. ahhhhh...

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you could figure out a way to hook up USB to this, it would definitely be an inexpensive controller. And after the gig, you could eat it!

Carrot clarinet:

http://wimp.com/carrotclarinet/

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Looked like Jordan Rudess (sp?) very funny. If that's him he did a bunch of stuff on weird instruments on Youtube some is semi conventional, and amazing.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm bumping this because I'm serious about finding someone who has used both the Yamaha and 'other' wind controllers.

Should it be usb?

Can it use the Ketron while the computer is using the Ketron?

Other stuff....it's like me shopping for a sailboat. I know nothing at all about it, except the wind blows it around.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Can it use the Ketron while the computer is using the Ketron?

Well, the answer is a qualified, "yes" here.

For example, when using the Ketron with a program like Band in a Box, you could use the Wind Controller on MIDI Thru channel much the same as you would use a keyboard controller.

In a sequencing program like RB, PT, etc. you should be able to do likewise, but here you may have to set your MIDI channel manually. For example, have the Wind Controller on one MIDI channel, leaving the other 15 channels free to play back any backing tracks. There are global Thru settings in the host programs that may have to be addressed.

Now comes the big question of how to use the Wind Controller at the same time as the Keyboard Controller. Either two people or one person who wants to switch from keyboard to EWI during live performance.

Yes, you can.

One way to do this, perhaps the simplest, is to utilize the MIDI In on the Keyboard controller, with its MIDI out hooked to the computer. With the Wind Controller connected to the keyboard controller's MIDI in (if it has one) you then would likely have to get into the manual for that controller and learn how to route that input on that channel directly thru to the output.

OR -- even though BiaB can only recognize one MIDI output at a time, I have found that in some cases I can select more than one MIDI input at the same time. So if your computer MIDI connect has two inputs, you can try that method. Hook keyboard controller to MIDI IN-1 and wind controller to MIDI IN-2. This may only work well for the one-man show situation, though, as there will still be only one Thru channel in BiaB and you wouldn't be able to have two different patches going at the same time.

The real answer is going to lie in getting your hands on a wind controller and experimenting with your system, though. Yeah, I know. Bill Clinton just called and said to tell ya that he feels yer pain...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow the way you left Bill Clinton's barn door open there blew even me away. Wind Controller or not.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
E
Expert
Expert
E
I have the Akai EWI USB, I had lot's of issues getting it to work with BIAB. It works fine as an input with Sonar, and Finale and Sibelius. Reason works well also. I'm not sure what the problem is with BIAB. I know that the EWI works. I don't really like the fingering system, but the breath input and configuration is cool, once you learn how to use it.

Hope this helps you,
Ed

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
In order to get the most from any synth with a wind-controller, the synth should be able to accept CC2 (breath) That's the purpose of having a "wind" controller.

I believe there are USB to midi adapters for use with a hardware synth.

As far as models/brands???
The WX5 & both EWI's have sax/flute fingering. (EWI is also capable of trumpet fingering)
My experience with the WX5...it sometimes seemed to "click" at each note, something I haven't experienced with the Synthophone.
The Morrison Digital Trumpet, EWI & EVI for someone who is used to valve instruments.
The Synthophone is an actual sax that has been modified.
Then there is also the Yamaha BC3 which can be used with a keyboard & also sends CC2.

While wind-controllers share many traits of acoustic counterparts, they are completely different in some ways & there IS a learning curve. Wind-controllers are not as forgiving as acoustic counterparts. There's no covering up a mistake. Nothing gets lost on the way to the bell, since there is no bell.

Mick

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's my advice.

If she wants to emulate other instruments (sax, guitar, trumpet, trombone, harmonica, etc.) get a WX5 with the VL70m tone module (both Yamaha). If you can afford it, get the TURBO chip model from patchman music.

If she is interested in pure synth sounds, either controller will do.

Personally, I think the WX5 is a better controller because it is just that, a controller. You don't have to pay for the synth inside of it, that might not be what you want (personally I think the EWI synth sounds like a light imitation of an old mini-moog - but that's just my personal taste coming through - a lot of others like it).

Also I like the keys better than touch pads and the discreet octave keys instead of rollers (makes it easier to jump multiple octaves without a glitch... AND (this is important to me) on the WX5 the "reed" gives you total control over vibrato. The bite sensor of the EWI uses capacitance and the speed of return to zero pitch is not user controllable, it is the discharge time of the capacitor, making slow, dreamy vibrato effects impossible with the mouth. Some have mastered doing with their fingers on the pitch bend plates, but I don't think it is as easy.

I would not encourage a Ketron or any other sample based sound module. After playing the flute, she will not be satisfied with them. The sounds are too static.

The VL70m uses physical modeling, so that the breath nuances that a player uses will be properly interpreted by the synth and expressive. Hear some short clips here: http://www.nortonmusic.com/clips.html

If she does get the WX5, I have a web page dedicated to the proper setup of the instrument. It is the result of years of experience on Yamaha controllers dating back to the original WX7, and it has become the go-to reference for all Yamaha WX5 players. You can access that on my table of contents page.

Also if either you or your wife want some help, either e-mail me directly or PM me and I'll be more than happy to get you started. Direct e-mail is probably better, as I usually only come here once a day.

One more thing; there is a yahoo group and a forum for wind controller players. Let me know if you or your wife is interested and I'll be happy to forward the links.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to all, and Notes, I did find all your posts and setup stuff, I'm pondering. I was fooling around with the Ketron one day, and noodling with one hand using the flute. She was blown away, said something about that's it,no sense in getting it out I can never sound that good. Now I was fooling with the pitch bend lever, pushing it sideways bends and back causes a vibrato like you'd have on a leslie.

As we both play 'horns' there is some level of interest in the emulations.

And the Music program for high school wanna be teachers here means you take 1 semester courses or 2 instruments a year for 4 years, 8 instruments and you have to take percussion, horn, woodwind, and a string instrument to get the degree. Lots of other stuff too, but she played 2 instruments in high school band first, so we've got some flexibility. I never thought we'd hear me singing but the Bose has changed that big time. I just need to work out the pre-amps, the setups, and ensure that I have my voice where i can actually hear it properly. When I tried singing in a band, with a floor monitor, it was always the war of the volume knobs, and eventually I couldn't hear at all.

Now with the bose the sound is different somehow, and I can control and lock the volumes on each song so it's somehow way more fun.

I was experimenting with my baritone horn and the TC Helicon, that's an interesting mix. I need to record it with my video camera and see, it's hard to hear the overtones and end result, maybe I need to hook up the earphones....

Thanks everyone for the input, I guess I'm getting out the pencil and paper.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,700
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198