Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin for Windows FAQ
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
To that point why do some want certain feature added that are best done in the DAW. I have seen request for normalizing the tracks, why that would be done on final render in the daw. Volume sliders, those are standard fare in the DAW.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I think you need to look at sync playback of the generated tracks in the local folder.
You need to be able to adjust the vol and pan to preview those tracks with the existing tracks in the DAW.
If you are just using one instrument track at a time like DI MultiRiffs per plugin and sending that track to FX then you can use the DAW track vol/pan.
Same with midi channel if you are sending midi tracks from the Plugin if you can re-channel each track to the selected channel, at the moment you can't tell what channel the midi tracks are on, so if you had a simple track mixer like VstSynthFont it would handle everything.
Originally there was no sync playback it was the same as using the main BB and dragging tracks out into the DAW to see if they fit if not back to BB.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Hopefully in the new version 3.0

This sums up my conclusions. Three months in and we will have to wait for the 50 new features. cry

And while we are just chatting between friends, since this is a very limited audience in the forum... how is that new Multiriffs feature working out for folks crazy ? I am not looking to stir the pot over in the other forums, but I recognized this as a clinker the first time I used it. Have to acknowledge that the glory days are behind us - there is always next year. Up to us now to keep the music alive.

I have been having a lot of fun with Scaler. Waiting anxiously for 2.0 which is running 6 months behind its claimed release date. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I worked out easy ways to do the MultiRiff/Bar to Bar regen using 2 instances of BB or using the BB Plugin in BB, BUT there are issues that need fixing like a padding or no padding option in BB for MultiRiffs so they play from that start of the section till the end with no early or late notes,
the sync is not working in BB if you play from the very start it's fine but if you play from any other bar the sync (BB Plugin) will start play from the very start.
If they fix these 2 issues then Bar to Bar regen will be possible.

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Multiriff is hit and miss for me but I have learned to work them out. I get pretty solid results now. I usually start them early and end late use the comping capability of my DAW. I don’t think we can expect a feature like multiriff to replace a great lead musician. It is a tool to use to create and will require some learning, experience, and trial.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
N
Journeyman
Journeyman
N
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Only the last two DT direct and pushes are improvements.

The rest are bugs. PGM has already released the feature and it does not work Properly

And PG sadly - infuriatingly - does this all the time.

I could have actually gotten on fine with BIAB as it was many years ago - before even plugin hosting was included - with just basic use for practice - generating real tracks. etc.

But I've now paid *specifically* for newer release when a particular **very desirable for me** feature was finally "delivered".

First it was ability to host AU /VST plugins. Delivered badly with both bugs and clear missing features - things that one would expect in an app that hosts plugin instruments but wasn't included.

Then came Piano Roll editing in Mac BIAB. Again - released a few months after the yearly release cycle - and delivered in a lets say sub-optimal fashion, making it - at the very least - no fun to use.

Lastly came the addition of a true BIAB plugin - and as everyone well knows - it barely resembleses what it needs to be - it was very buggy in its initial period, extremely slow to regen - and I haven't even begun to get onto the missing features that Rob Helms mentioned.

There is a pattern here. Franky I feel like I've merely been paying an upgrade fee in order for PG developers to carry on working. Subsidising them. Because the three features they "delivered" are delivered in a rushed state and with a grudging attitude towards making these fear polished.

I could forgive them for Piano Roll. I understand that apparently few people use it on Macs. But then thats hard surprising given how dreadful the GUI Implementatons of these things are.

I could also forgive PG once they introduced the BIAB VST/AU plugin. * if * the thing actually worked as one would expect... because I'm much happier using the Piano roll in my DAW to record my own parts than the built in piano roll.
But fact is the BIAB plugin isn't ready for prime time with DAWs either.

Last edited by nonchai; 02/23/20 03:52 AM.

Big Sur, Mac Mini i7 2018, 64GB RAM 2TB SSD
Yamaha PSR SX 900, Cubase, Ableton, UNIFY, OPUS ORCHESTRATOR, MASCHINE, Vienna Ensemble Pro ,Audiofuse, L6 HELI, KOMPLETE, Komplete Kontrol 88
Lockdown beard, podgy face, beer belly, bald patch ... yadda yadda
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I hear you on this. The good news is if PGM would address these basic features the plugin would be a solid and useful tool for creating tracks in the DAW. I also understand the desire of some users to want to add other more powerful features. Like our Mr. Pipeline. He has worked hard to introduce many innovative ideas and concepts to light. For that I tip my hat to him. I also feel his frustration and have nothing but respect.

I do however think that many of these ideas, while undeniably interesting and possibly powerful. Should be considered as down the road upgrades. So I keep stressing the vital importance of fixing the already existing broken features and bringing the plugin to a solid stable and useful tool. Something as jpettit said, a new DAW user can employ without reading a huge manual.

S
S
DAWS Plugin; I am supposed to open the DAWS Plugin within Garage Band by selecting Plugins" + AU Instruments + etc... Problem is that AU Instruments takes it to Apple Music instead of PG music inc. ???????

How do I get the plugin installed if Garage Band can't locate it?

Jim

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
If it's not in the list it's not installed correctly.

Using the Band-in-a-Box for Mac DAW Plugin in GarageBand

R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Bringing the hijacked thread back and bumping. And yes it is okay to post a question regarding GarageBand here as we want folks to get answers to their questions.

Bump back to original conversation.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 02/26/20 03:19 AM.

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Originally Posted By: nonchai
Franky I feel like I've merely been paying an upgrade fee in order for PG developers to carry on working. Subsidising them. Because the three features they "delivered" are delivered in a rushed state and with a grudging attitude towards making these fear polished.

You don't need to feel like this, because this is the way it is.

PGMusic's business is based on the selling of upgrades at the end of each year. Naturally they have to deliver something, so the users gets more RealTracks. But as is this not enough they have to add features. Fixing bugs is great, but hardly usable for marketing.

Sadly the budget for the development teams seems to be insufficient at times. Then we get half-baked or buggy features that are cramped into the yearly release just for the sake of it. We're talking here of marketable features.

And if the developers have to fix bugs for a long time after the release they are late for new features of the upcoming release. For them it would be the best to get the code base in a stable condition before adding new stuff. Of course that's not possible because PGMusic cannot print money. So they need a release with new feature. Da capo in eternum.

Masi

PS: This year I thought about skipping a release. But the list of items they have done listening to the customer got me hooked. Plus the RealCharts for drums and the plugin. Neither the RealCharts are working for me (I hear others have good results) nor is the plugin usable. IMHO selling buggy software to loyal long-time customers is a dangerous business strategy in the long run.

Band-in-a-Box, BiaB-plugin, Reaper, Win10 64bit, i7-8565U, 24GB RAM (always latest versions)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Masi
PS: This year I thought about skipping a release. But the list of items they have done listening to the customer got me hooked. Plus the RealCharts for drums and the plugin. Neither the RealCharts are working for me (I hear others have good results) nor is the plugin usable. IMHO selling buggy software to loyal long-time customers is a dangerous business strategy in the long run.

Same here.

But selling buggy software to new customers is more dangerous. What if someone purchased BiaB a couple of years ago for the VSTi? I'd bet the lost a customer for life. I know that if that was me I would never look at another PGMusic product.

Each year I look at the VSTi and every year thus far I have determined it isn't for me. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Caught in an infinite loop:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BBvst-Flow.png (10.07 KB, 164 downloads)
Apprentice
Apprentice
I was really hoping there'd be more development at this point. Here we are heading into the end of the first quarter and many of these bugs still exist. They are not features we wish for they are actually bugs. This is a good comprehensive list and we really need to get these done.

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: Masi
IMHO selling buggy software to loyal long-time customers is a dangerous business strategy in the long run.

But selling buggy software to new customers is more dangerous.

I put it wrong.

I meant relying on loyal customers to deal with quirks and bugs is dangerous. It's a no-go for winning customers unless you're prices are extremely low.

Masi

Band-in-a-Box, BiaB-plugin, Reaper, Win10 64bit, i7-8565U, 24GB RAM (always latest versions)
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
We all agree that the plugin needs some work. We all agree that it’s not right to continue to roll it out there and not complete it at least to the degree that it will be productive. That is the reason for this post not to suggest big changes, or complicated updates, but rather to fix the punch list items listed in the original post. These are not great ideas, they were advertised features. If they worked properly this plugin would be very useful.

So let’s as a collective group ask kindly but firmly that PGM move the needed resources to accomplish this NOW or at least very soon.

It serves very little purpose to continue to point out the problem, we need to as loyal and valued customers send a united voice for resolution.

So here is my request: To Peter Gannon, and the development team at PG music, both the BBW4 developers, and front end group, Please ASAP divert the resources required to complete this cycle, fixing the bugs in the list originally posted in this thread as well as send to you directly by email. This plugin is a gateway product that will generate many new customers for you when it works properly. But the core reason is that you promised these features as incentives for purchase in this release cycle, and we loyally supported that release.

Now to all users contributing to this post, please add your +1 to unite our voices.

Veteran
Veteran
+1

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
Journeyman
+1 But will it get heard.

Brian Cadoret
BIAB 2024 Pro with BIAB2023 UltraPAK build 1111. Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Focusrite 2i2 Scarlett
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

Veteran
Veteran
+1

Rob, you should put this on the wish list if you haven't already done so. You could reference this thread.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
+1

Masi

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts734,999
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186