Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#587925 03/26/20 04:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So here's my contribution to the covid 19 situation we're all facing. I was thinking about collabing but in the end I practiced social writing distancing and put on my mask and gloves....sure is hard playing the guitar with gloves (BTW) but I got it done. My only companion in the studio is my K9 Lilly.

The band is:

Bass: 1417
Drums: Pop 8ths AND Texas rock
Steel: 2541
Dobro: 2040
Mando: 2035
Piano: 2026

Guitars: Me

Flatten the Curve

Lyrics:

I was just 19 and out of school
Drove a jacked up Chevy I was nobody's fool
A couple of boys on a Friday night having fun
Headed on down to the river road bend
Kinda wish I could go back there again
to a time when we didn't have to think or worry about tomorrow

Well I took that curve just a little too fast
Rolled that Chevy across the field out into the grass
When it all was over we all just kinda stood there grinning
The lawman said boy what's the matter with you
You both could have died in that car, that's the truth
So tell me son what in the world were you thinking

I thought we'd flatten the curve, give it a try
life is for living, I don't run and hide
we all want to be on the winning side
I Don't worry about tomorrow I live for today
Forget about the piper we all have to pay
Just give it a try man, and flatten that curve

The nightly news has gone from bad to worse
Seems like we're living...in a twilight zone curse
From something they all call the Covid 19 virus
From the cities and the towns to the hospital rooms
We all pray to God this will be ending soon
And one of these days that sun will just be shining....
Just be shining

We have to flatten that curve, do it or die
we all want to live, we all have to try
So we can all be on the winning side
pray for tomorrow and take care for today
When we all work together we can find the right way
Let's give it a try, and flatten that curve

I hope you all enjoy this.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/26/20 04:37 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I was thinking about collabing but in the end I practiced social writing distancing and put on my mask and gloves....sure is hard playing the guitar with gloves (BTW) but I got it done.

Well that intro grabs you immediately!

What a cool song man! I love the guitars in the background sliding around and the interspersed mando. A lot going to keep the attention.

The lyrics are perfect in their straight-forward lay out. They sit so well with the melody into the song. Nothing feels forces. A sign of a really good song to me.

Thanks for participating in your challenging. I was beginning to wonder. wink Seriously, thanks for the challenge as well.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really well done Herb!!! My favorite thing is just the vibe of the song.......reminds me of John Hiatt! Great job at playing off "flatten the curve"....that's a tough one indeed! Really enjoyable tune!! Stay safe my friend! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's one tasty guitar intro.

Clever write, upbeat song, good arrangement. Love the mandolin slipping in and out.

laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Nice work. Excellent guitar work and vocal.
Stay safe and let's hope that curve does flatten.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
A fun listen. Well written, lyrically and musically. It really felt like home. Guitars and mando played well off each other. Much enjoyed.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A good write, Herb. Your best, I think.

The band sounds good.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Herb,

a terrific write wrapped in great music. So well arranged, so well-sung.... Top-notch guitar playing.

I really love thsi song and, yes, let's hope that we can flatten the curve wherever its peaks bring that much misery.

Stay safe, guitarhacker

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Quote:
I was thinking about collabing but in the end I practiced social writing distancing and put on my mask and gloves....sure is hard playing the guitar with gloves (BTW) but I got it done.

Well that intro grabs you immediately!

What a cool song man! I love the guitars in the background sliding around and the interspersed mando. A lot going to keep the attention.

The lyrics are perfect in their straight-forward lay out. They sit so well with the melody into the song. Nothing feels forces. A sign of a really good song to me.

Thanks for participating in your challenging. I was beginning to wonder. wink Seriously, thanks for the challenge as well.

I'm glad you like this. I sat on my chair after I played that intro and thought the same thing.... one take, and off the cuff. Every now and then I get something right on the first attempt. Thanks for listening.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really well done Herb!!! My favorite thing is just the vibe of the song.......reminds me of John Hiatt! Great job at playing off "flatten the curve"....that's a tough one indeed! Really enjoyable tune!! Stay safe my friend! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. I'm not that familiar with Hiatt.... I'll have to check him out. The "flatten the curve" thing is all over the TV and news, and I gave it as a suggestion in my songwriting forum post to this challenge.... I decided to go with it.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
That's one tasty guitar intro.

Clever write, upbeat song, good arrangement. Love the mandolin slipping in and out.

laugh

Yep.... I had to lick my fingers after I played that.... It's cool. I knew my guitar didn't have the C-19 virus. Thanks for the listen and the nice compliments.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Herb,

That's really a good, strong rocker you made!
I can join everyone one this formum with this opnion.
A very nice -abstract- part was where you had a solo from a mandolin. All that power from the bass, drums, guitars and then... that mandolin. I had to smile about it.
Your voice is very strong and it remainded me in a way of one of the Fogerty brothers from CCR. Of course I heard differences, but the energy felt the same.
Very well done!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Nice work. Excellent guitar work and vocal.
Stay safe and let's hope that curve does flatten.
Regards,
Leon

Thank you. Yep... gotta get this thing behind us for sure.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
A fun listen. Well written, lyrically and musically. It really felt like home. Guitars and mando played well off each other. Much enjoyed.

Glad you listened and enjoyed it. Thank you

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A good write, Herb. Your best, I think.

The band sounds good.

Interesting.... this was a quick write. I think I literally wrote the first 2 verses in 10 minutes and then worked on the rest of it the following day for about 60 minutes total time. Thanks for listening and commenting.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi Herb,

a terrific write wrapped in great music. So well arranged, so well-sung.... Top-notch guitar playing.

I really love thsi song and, yes, let's hope that we can flatten the curve wherever its peaks bring that much misery.

Stay safe, guitarhacker

Stefan

They just locked NC down...... stay at home unless you are essential. I'm essential so I go out when I need. Aside from that, I'm in the woods with my wife and dog.

Thanks for listening

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hello Herb,

That's really a good, strong rocker you made!
I can join everyone one this formum with this opnion.
A very nice -abstract- part was where you had a solo from a mandolin. All that power from the bass, drums, guitars and then... that mandolin. I had to smile about it.
Your voice is very strong and it remainded me in a way of one of the Fogerty brothers from CCR. Of course I heard differences, but the energy felt the same.
Very well done!

Hans

Interesting that you mention the mandolin.... I was not really intending for there to be a mandolin solo. Problem was, I couldn't find anything else to go there that I liked or thought sounded good. The mando was kind of anticlimatic following the guitar but like I said, I couldn't decide on what else to do there and I didn't want to play the guitar solo out that long..... well actually I thought about it but left the mando in.

I'm glad it made you smile so it's all worth it in the end. THanks.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Herb, that was one of your best. Truly I have been a fan since the early days with you, beagle, myself and the rest of the gang. I thought your guitar work was stellar, actually pro album quality. Your mixing and mastering has just gotten better through the years.

It so cool to know your doing well. Here in SC were not locked down YET so I have been working, but I feel it’s coming soon. Like yourself as a locksmith some of my services are essential. I pulled into the driveway Thursday around 6:45 after a long hard day, and as I got out of the truck I heard a voice behind me say “excuse me sir” I turned around and a older lady had pulled in behind me. She told me that she and her husband were locked out of their house. She was mostly deaf, he could barely walk. So I jumped back in the truck and followed them to their home, and got my lock pick tools and in 5 minutes had them in. It made me feel good to help.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 03/28/20 06:10 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Right from the intro I was hooked. Love the lyrics, your vocal AND guitars (no surprise there). Really cool how you started out at 19, flattening a different curve. I coached baseball for 15 years and was waiting for a nasty curve in the 3rd verse --when the news went from bad to worse. You hit this one out of the park. Stay well, Herb!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is another that could or should be on the radio. Very well done. I liked the play on words you utilized, made for a great tune.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,569
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200