Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Following Bob's train of thought...

This afternoon I helped set my Dad up to use Zoom, so he can Zoom with his siblings. He's using my Widget microphone, so all I need to do is find him a webcam.

Easy, huh? It's not like I'm looking for toilet paper.

Everyone in my household already has a computer with a built-in camera so they can Zoom their classwork. So I guess I didn't notice there had been a run on webcams.

There's nothing affordable on the local Craigslist.

Our local Target is still open, so I checked their website. They haven't got any webcams that sell for less than $400.

I had a look at the Best Buy website, and everything affordable there is sold out as well. But the brick-and-mortar store is closed, so that's sort of moot.

Fry's hasn't got any webcams, but then, they're pretty much a shell of what they used to be.

The local OfficeMax does curbside pickup, but the only webcams not listed "Out of Stock" turn out to be "For Future Pickup", which seems to be a distinction without a difference.

There are a number on Amazon, but they have reviews like "Didn't work" and "Worst webcam I ever owned.". Since some of those date back to 2008, I'm sure they work even better on Windows 10! wink

This isn't really a complaint, as much as it's an observation how fragile the supply chain can be.

Edit: Looks like I may be able to find a digital camera and make that work instead. smile

Anyway, I've got to imagine there's a huge load on the interwebs these days.

Makes my glad I'm not a network admin!

Last edited by dcuny; 04/01/20 03:25 PM. Reason: Digital camera

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
About LA and CA. The numbers have been pretty low compared to the rest of the country. Well, that's about to change I think. Watching CNBC earlier and I found out there are over 59,000 test kits that had to be sent out to labs over the last several days and it will take a few more days to get the results back. Hmmmm...

OTOH, there's more articles about how the fatality rate is lower then they initially thought.

I sure you will enjoy that new guitar Bob. New toys are always fun!

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

I sure you will enjoy that new guitar Bob. New toys are always fun!

Bob

Bob,

Especially if they get your mind off death and destruction, even if only for a little while!

wink

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
https://www.inquirer.com/news/coronavirus-musicians-john-prine-jackson-browne-joe-diffie-20200330.html?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

The Philadephia Inquirer just ran an article on How Hard the Corona Virus is hitting the Music World and a list of those who have died recently.

They say John Prine is starting to recover, so we wish him well, but his wife has it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I have voted both sides of the aisle, I'm nobody's fan-boy, and I reserve the right to criticize both parties and whoever screws up. We screwed this one up and it's costing precious lives.

Well said! I too have voted both sides in elections from dogcatcher to president. And I always criticize based on performance and not on politics! An honest person should be willing to admit their screw-ups!

Me too. Staunch independent and have voted both sides of the aisle.

Beside music. My next project is getting out the sewing machine and sewing some homemade masks. I'm no great seamstress but what the heck. It seems the new advice is to wear something over your face when you go out in case you have it and don't know it so you won't spread as much. But they don't want people getting the real n95's or the hospital surgical masks because the docs and nurses really need those. I reckon anything that offers a modicum of protection is better than nothing. Infections in my parish jumped to 90 today. Only one death so far thank God.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Great idea! It's not only stopping you from infecting someone else, it's also wearing a mask helps you to remember to not touch your face. On another forum a guy said he was wearing his motorcycle helmet when shopping. That'll stop him from touching his face...

Post a pic of what you come up with, I think we would all like to see it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Sundance,

I'm with you. I think that wearing any kind of mask is better than wearing none. As Bob says, it's good protection against touching your face. Our doctors are also saying that it helps reduce contamination of others if you have the virus and don't know about it.

Here in Australia, a number of our medical professionals (pharmacists in particular) are being treated really aggressively by some people. I don't get that. As I see it, like with the N95 masks you mention, we have to do everything we can to help our medics stay safe. Without them, getting through this contagion becomes much much harder.

You mentioned 'sewing' so this might interest you. I saw it on our news last night.

The below young guy is from Tasmania (my home state). He makes bears for sick children and now he's using COVID-19 isolation in a positive and productive way....

DIRECT LINK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9ErhrjAG8

I hope things are progressing as well as possible for you and yours.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Noel that is such a sweet video and he's talented at making those bears. I'll be happy if our masks I make (ones for me and my husband) are wearable! LOL!. I'm so happy you are okay. My husband and I staying in as much as possible other than to venture into our own yard and when forced to go to the grocery.

I had to go take labs and they wouldn't let me cancel a doc visit. That was nerve wracking and unnecessary under the circumstances. But the new nurse practitioner refused to write my prescriptions (which have been the same for over a year) unless I came in person even though I've been seeing my regular doc who's out sick and she's filling in for - I've been seeing him for several years. So at the moment I'm pretty down on nurse practitioners at least this fresh out of school one. Maybe I just got a clueless jerk. So I hit the sanitizer every chance I got while I was at the lab and at the doc office and in my car and washed and changed as soon as I got home. Thank goodness it's been 14 days and I have no symptoms. Hope that wasn't too much info. I've missed you.

Josie

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: dcuny
This afternoon I helped set my Dad up to use Zoom, so he can Zoom with his siblings. He's using my Widget microphone, so all I need to do is find him a webcam.

David, do you know if Zoom allows screen sharing? I need to conduct a training session next week and don't want video but I'd like to have my screen shared and audio both directions. I can do the audio over the phone if necessary.

Quote:
Fry's hasn't got any webcams, but then, they're pretty much a shell of what they used to be.

Ahhh, Fry's Electronics! I used to shop at their very first store in Sunnyvale, CA in the mid-80s! Geeks like me were over the moon at the idea of a store where we could buy electronics parts, C compilers and snacks all in one location!! Almost as cool as the West Coast Computer Faire!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John,

I pass this on in case it's useful... I've been using Microsoft Teams for my online school teaching and it allows me to share my screen(s) in realtime with students.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie,

Not too much information at all.

Your nurse practitioner sounds like they were just making unnecessary work for themselves. If it makes you feel any better, I'm like you. When I go out where people are, which is rare, I sanitise my hands every opportunity, keep the 6 feet or so distance between people and am very mindful of everything I touch.

When I get home, it's wash and change, also. I'm aiming to hang around on Earth a while yet so I'm doing all I can to keep covid-19 at bay.

I saw a woman yesterday who was wearing rubber gloves. I haven't gone that far yet because I don't have any open wounds on my hand. Fortunately the virus doesn't penetrate skin. If I had a cut on my hand, though, I'd definitely get out the latex gloves!

Where safety is concerned, it's much better to err on the side of caution, I think.

It's great to see you in the forums, again! It's not the same when you're not here.

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David, do you know if Zoom allows screen sharing? I need to conduct a training session next week and don't want video but I'd like to have my screen shared and audio both directions. I can do the audio over the phone if necessary.

My kids - who use it for school - assure me that you can share the screen. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
L
lambada Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
L
I'm using zoom to teach my school kids. You can share your screen, see all the people at the same time or not (Top right corner). It's great. Also they've taken away the 40 min limit on the free version for the time being - at least in Hong Kong. Be warned that there have been articles about security. People taking over webcams and kids recording lessons, and spreading them on the web and basically being little [*****]. Just so you're aware. You can record your lessons to cover yourself anyway. Some of my colleagues don't show their face or home on webcam to be covered.

As for a webcam. I reckon it's of limited interest to older people. Just a lot of trouble. They seem quite happy with audio and it's a lot less bandwidth.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Noel96
John,

I pass this on in case it's useful... I've been using Microsoft Teams for my online school teaching and it allows me to share my screen(s) in realtime with students.

Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel!!

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: dcuny

My kids - who use it for school - assure me that you can share the screen. smile

Thanks David! And, thanks to your kids!!

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: lambada
I'm using zoom to teach my school kids. You can share your screen, see all the people at the same time or not (Top right corner). It's great. Also they've taken away the 40 min limit on the free version for the time being - at least in Hong Kong. Be warned that there have been articles about security. People taking over webcams and kids recording lessons, and spreading them on the web and basically being little [*****]. Just so you're aware. You can record your lessons to cover yourself anyway. Some of my colleagues don't show their face or home on webcam to be covered.

As for a webcam. I reckon it's of limited interest to older people. Just a lot of trouble. They seem quite happy with audio and it's a lot less bandwidth.

Thank you lambada! I heard something about security concerns too.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Am I going crazy yet?

Nope.

Leilani and I get along so well that 24/7/365 isn't too much time to spent together. In fact, it isn't enough.

We're making new style and fake 'disks' for Band-in-a-Box, and when we aren't doing that, we're spending quality time together.

Yesterday I left my house for the first time in over a week. We went grocery shopping for perishables. It's like living in a Sci-Fi movie. The enemy is invisible and could be anywhere (cue theremin music).

People wearing masks, keeping their distance, wearing mostly blue or purple gloves, spraying shopping carts, looking at each other with suspicious eyes, greeting cashiers behind plexiglass screens, blue tape on the floor where the lines are spaced 6' apart, and so on.

Needing gas for the car, I brought a disposable nitrile glove, touched everything with only that hand, and disposed of it before getting back in the car.

All this just seems eerie to me.

Following advice I brought a small spray bottle filled with 70% alcohol. Sprayed everything including my credit card when I took it out of the reader. We sterilized our hands before touching the car, washed them many times during the trip and first thing when we entered the house.

We unpacked everything outdoors, rubbed down with either diluted bleach/water or alcohol before bringing the groceries in the house. We stripped to our underwear and hung the grocery bags and our clothes on the clothesline (we have privacy in our back yard). We left our shoes outside as well (that part is normal practice for us).

Paranoid? No. We just decided that since some people who recover have diminished lung functionality, and since we make our living with our lungs (voice, sax, flute, wind synth) it's best to err on the side of caution.

The governor put us on a "stay at home" order today, but I've been doing that for weeks already. Since all my gigs have been cancelled, I call it "Economic Isolation" wink

I probably won't have to leave my little half-acre in paradise for another couple of weeks.

Funny result. Every day I walk up and down our dead-end street for a total of 4 miles. Getting in the car and driving down the road at 35mph seemed like I was traveling at light speed in comparison (that wore off in a mile or so).

I do hope everyone is being cautious and that none of my BiaB buddies will catch the plague.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
It's like living in a Sci-Fi movie.

I had exactly the same thought tonight as I was driving to get some takeaway food. As you say, it's very eerie right now.

I agree with you... it's much better to overly cautious than not cautious enough.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Using Webex, Zoom, and Micro$oft Teams on my work from home as an IT person in the Stock Market/Finance industry. Webex started slowing down as soon as the virus had people switching to home. Most of us migrated to Zoom when that happened and it's been holding up well considering the large amount of users in both business and education now.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Josie,

Not too much information at all.

Your nurse practitioner sounds like they were just making unnecessary work for themselves. If it makes you feel any better, I'm like you. When I go out where people are, which is rare, I sanitise my hands every opportunity, keep the 6 feet or so distance between people and am very mindful of everything I touch.

When I get home, it's wash and change, also. I'm aiming to hang around on Earth a while yet so I'm doing all I can to keep covid-19 at bay.

I saw a woman yesterday who was wearing rubber gloves. I haven't gone that far yet because I don't have any open wounds on my hand. Fortunately the virus doesn't penetrate skin. If I had a cut on my hand, though, I'd definitely get out the latex gloves!

Where safety is concerned, it's much better to err on the side of caution, I think.

It's great to see you in the forums, again! It's not the same when you're not here.

Noel

[Quote ]It's great to see you in the forums, again! It's not the same when you're not here.[/quote]

You are dearly loved 'round these here parts, Josie. We need your logical mind during this unprecedented crisis.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,627
Posts735,222
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185