Play Nat King Cole, play "Nature Boy"
Play "Down in the Boondocks" for Terry Malloy
Play "It Happened One Night" and "One Night of Sin"
There's twelve million souls that are listening in
Play "Merchant of Venice", play "Merchants of Death"
Play "Stella by Starlight" for Lady Macbeth

Don't worry, Mr. President, help's on the way
[b]Your brothers are comin', there'll be hell to pay
Brothers? What brothers? What's this about hell?
Tell them, "We're waiting, keep coming," we'll get them as well
Love Field is where his plane touched down
But it never did get back up off the ground
Was a hard act to follow, second to none
They killed him on the altar of the rising sun
[/b]

Play "Misty" for me and "That Old Devil Moon"
Play "Anything Goes" and "Memphis in June"
Play "Lonely at the Top" and "Lonely Are the Brave"
Play it for Houdini spinning around in his grave
Play Jelly Roll Morton, play "Lucille"
Play "Deep in a Dream", and play "Driving Wheel"
Play "Moonlight Sonata" in F-sharp
And "A Key to the Highway" for the king on the harp
Play "Marching Through Georgia" and "Dumbarton's Drums"
Play darkness and death will come when it comes
Play "Love Me or Leave Me" by the great Bud Powell
Play "The Blood-Stained Banner", play "Murder Most Foul"

Since some now have extra time on their hands as a result of the shut down, I'd love to hear what deep thinkers and inquiring minds might answer to the following questions?

1. Why did Bob Dylan release this now?
2. Why is it 17 minutes long?
3. Does anyone really know why Kennedy was killed or even more interesting his brother.
4. Remember the cute little boy walking beside and saluting his father's casket. Why did he come to such an untimely death?
5. What office was he running for before he died?
6. Who actually ran for that office?
7. Who was one of his best friends in New York?
8. Why are all the Kennedy kids singing on You-Tube?
9. What are they singing about?

I'll be interested in anyone up for the challenge. You can also PM me if you would like. Good luck!!

Last edited by Belladonna; 04/03/20 03:33 PM.
Off-Topic
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
I have loved hearing reactions to this slightly odd and undeniably epic song from all my friends and family who are really into Dylan.

I can't answer all your questions, but my History major girlfriend, who is a huge Kennedy nerd, will help me out later.

For now:

1. Because he knows everyone is way more likely to listen to all 17 minutes now that they're stuck at home. Otherwise there's no way people would have the attention span.

Also, he released it on March 26th, which is the same day that Walt Whitman died. It is widely known that John F. Kennedy was the reincarnation of Walt Whitman. And it is also well known that Keira Knightly is the reincarnation of JFK. She was born on March 26th. These things go in cycles.

Ok, that second part might not be true.

2. He's trying to branch out from the Folk crowd to the Prog Rock, Doom Metal, Experimental Jazz, and Classical crowd. That's where all the money is these days.

3. My girlfriend will have more well thought out things to say about this but... I think some who see progress as a threat to their ideals can be quick to violence. The Kennedys, especially Bobby, represented both the sweeping societal progress of the 60s as well as the old-money establishment, both of which can make you a lot of enemies. If there was more to it, well, old money or new ideas was probably the root cause.

GF's thoughts:

People have a lot of ideas about why John F. Kennedy was killed. He sat in office from 1961-1963, during which he commanded some of the most fraught and complex foreign affairs endeavours in American history. Just a few examples of this are: his increase in American advisors in Vietnam (this was part of the ‘Americanization period of the Vietnam War, which would be subsequently vastly increased by Lyndon B. Johnson), the Cuban Missile Crisis, and the Bay of Pigs invasion. Domestically, the sixties were arguably one of the most tumultuous periods of civil unrest. During his time in office he attempted to champion civil rights bills, but had little success in passing his New Frontier policies, and worked to further the Space Race. Americans were divided at the time, many of whom held deeply anti-Catholic attitudes towards him. While his approval rating was generally very high, I think part of this stemmed from some of his showings of brinkmanship, most notably his leadership during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Ultimately, we’ll never know why John F. Kennedy was killed, because his shooter, Lee Harvey Oswald, was killed just a few days after killing President Kennedy. The investigation found that Mr. Oswald had acted alone, and was not part of a conspiracy, but a huge percentage of the American public does not believe that, and thinks that there are deeper conspiracies here (I just read that in 1976, a Gallup pole showed that 81% of Americans believed that ‘others were involved’ besides Oswald). My historical knowledge ends at the conspiracy theories, but it’s a serious rabbit hole you can dive into. The Kennedy family’s involvement with the mafia, as well as the CIA (probably because of the Bay of Pigs invasion) are often cited as potential suspects. It’s easy to go down this hole of conspiracy theories, but ultimately who knows. There are a lot of reasons why JFK’s assassination is so iconic in American history, but I think the most lasting is that it signified the end of a very measurable time of growth, affluence, and discovery in American history. Following the Second World War, the things we think of as making up this ‘era of affluence’ seemed to exist up until this point: white flight to suburbia, the Space Race, candy-pink fridges, the baby boom, etc. I think people see JFK’s assassination as a turning point, out of which a period of even greater civil unrest grew, ultimately unleashing things like the anti-Vietnam War protests, Kent State, and the Berkeley Free Speech movement. In other words, because he embodied such a Camelot-esque image (heterosexual, white family with children running around in Nantucket), there’s an idea of ‘what if.’ And the same goes for Bobby: it is widely believed that, because of his political position at is death, he would have won the Democratic primary and gone on to hold office. When such an iconic figure dies and a country is rapidly thrown into social and cultural upheaval, maybe we look to that figure as an embodiment of a comfortable past that is now gone, too.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Congratulations David!!! So nice to hear from a deep thinker out there and tackling a very deep and complicated subject and your girlfriend's input as a Kennedy afficionado.

Good point about how persons now stuck at home would have the attention span to contemplate the message of this 17 minute epic song.

You answered Question #2 well, and I appauld you. Could be to reach a larger audience and stimulate deep thinkers to connect the dots from the 1960's to the present. It was a very logical application. Interesting you are talking about the dates of March and reincarnation there are other theories out there. I had never heard the Walt Whitman reincarnation but interesting to contemplate.

Question #3 We know what the government has told us, but who trusts the government? Deep thinkers do not. There are many experts of how bullets kill and how there may have been more than one bullet? How could a single crazy guy carry this out with all the security around? Why was a lone wolf shooter quickly silenced? Why was his brother killed after saying he was going to investigate his brother's death? I for one do not accept simple explanations from the government (not a sheeple) designed to cover up a crime.

There are many theories about Question #3 and #4. You can find opinions about what happened from many perspectives. All I can say is that hopefully the truth will come out sometime soon.

Thanks again David for your heroic attempt to address these questions. It's not for the faint of heart!!!

Questions # 5 and #6 Senator Moynihan's liberal Democratic politician of New York's senate seat was soon up for reelection. It is know that John F kennedy, JR was contemplating running for that seat. After his untimely death, Hillary Clinton became a resident of New York and obtained that Senate seat.

Question #7 It is well known that the upper crust in New York socialized with each other. John Kennedy JR knew our current President and did tweet that Donald Trump would make a great President if he decided to give up his billionaire lifestyle.

Question # 8 and #9 the Kennedy grandkids singing a song on You-Tube called It's Going Down Timber. What do they know that might be happening currently to address the three Kennedy's deaths. Were they killed by the deep state for going against the globalist bankers? Are we in fact at war with them again? You decide.

I would be interested anyone's reflection on why the Kennedy grandkids are singing and their message. What does that mean?

I think Bob Dylan felt comfortable releasing his song at this time. Our most recent upheaval of society may be the perfect time to allow deep thinkers to contemplate this most important message of the past. Bob is old now, has made his money and his career will go down in music history. I think he may now feel more free to report this huge social injustice. He always has had a leaning to do that with his songs.

Last edited by Belladonna; 04/03/20 06:39 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,655
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197