Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Teunis
so back to VI.ONE. It took a little while for me to get it installed and registered (had I followed the instructions it would have been seconds). There are an unbelievable amount of different Sounds available. Some are really good. I decided to change a MIDI song that I did years ago using TTS1 to use Kontakt and the VI.ONE libraries. Some bits were better others maybe not so but I still need to do more playing.
Tony, I appreciate you taking the time to let us know your initial reaction. I will try to follow the instructions wink.

I also have more time on my hands than usual!

Glenn

T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Tiger
[quote=Larry Kehl]re:Mixcraft

The problem was solved by setting the Kontakt player to "Omni", rather than a particular channel. I am not sure where in Mixcraft it specifies the channel/port it is sending info to the Kontakt player. It apparently isn't using the Port A/Channel 1 that seems to be the Kontakt default. (The input channel for MIDI devices is right there on the track, and I have that set to All.)

At some point, I will have to figure out how Mixcraft uses channels/ports to talk to the Player, but for right now I have put that aside in favour of actually working on music. Let me know if you know anything about that setting.

Anyone Interested,

I am writing this note for myself, as well as for anyone else interested. I now understand why Kontakt sometimes didn't play BIAB midi files exported into my DAW.

When BIAB exports a MIDI file from a project (a multitrack .MID file), each track is set to a different channel. For example, Piano on channel 3, Bass on channel 2, etc.

This is specified for each note; Each note in each track of the Midi file has a channel specified in properties. I should have realized this, but I kept looking for a setting in the DAW. Now I know I have to look at the properties of the notes for each track of the midi file, and see what Channel they are on. Once I do that, I set the correct channel in Kontakt and everything works fine.

This is why the Omni setting in Kontakt worked, because it was looking on all channels.

Thanks to everyone who gave input on this problem.

Glenn

Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to MIDI!

Pros: Very flexible!
Cons: Very Flexible!

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Hi Glenn,

Welcome to the forum and to Band-in-a-Box. There are two midi sounds you may want to consider. First is the TTS-1 virtual sound module from Cakewalk by BandLab and second is the Timbres Of Heaven virtual instruments. Both have the advantages of sounding good and are available for free.

+++ Timbres Of Heaven +++ is a gm compatible Soundfont. The Soundfont is a large (about 256 MB) set of instrument patches that can be loaded and played in any Soundfont sound module including Sforzando and Synthfont.
Jim, thank you for the welcome and the information. I decided to start by looking at Timbres of Heaven. I downloaded it, and I tried dragging it into Szforando, which seems to be included with BIAB. It says to drag a file in and I did that, but this is a huge file, and it seems to want me to reset it for each instrument...

Anyway, you can see I am confused. Can someone help me understand how to load a Soundfont like Timbres of Heaven into BIAB once, or once per song, and then just pick the instruments. I tried fooling with the default synth, but that didn't seem to do what I want either. I just want to set up this Soundfont inside BIAB so I can easily try out and set the various instruments.

Thanks for any help with this.

Glenn

Veteran
Veteran
Glen, maybe one of this will help:

https://hiphopmakers.com/best-free-soundfont-players-vst-plugin

On the rare occasion I use a soundfont I use the free TX16Wx. Note that I only use it in my DAW but it should work in BiaB. But other players may better meet your needs.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Possible solution: BIAB includes Real Band. Make your track. Arranged how you want it. Save it as a midi.

Open the midi in Real Band. Set up RB so it uses a quality sound font. One of the best out there is Timbres Of Heaven. Freely distributed through our midi forum. Created by one of our engineer members.

Open the CHORDS window. BINGO!

Learn to play guitar and/or blues harp at amazing speed! "I Just Wanna Play The Darned Thing!"
http://www.thewaynereedconnection.com
Free text & audio newsletter! (Training & learning tips)
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Harpmeister, thanks for the idea. I have literally only looked once at Real Band...I didn't "get it" and so forgot about it. But that was many years ago. I am going to have to take a look at it, as you described above.

Thanks again,

Glenn

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Hi, I have the same problem as Glenn, I've been researching how to have better midi sound in biab for some time.
I have the free version of the kontakt and I hesitate to buy the full version because I see that it does not come with too many instruments, would I have to buy or search for banks of instruments later? I use biab for jazz standards.

I also appreciate the sampletank, it seems easier and brings more instruments from the factory.

I am very confused now and I have downloaded sounds of heaven but I don't know how it installs and how I can choose it in biab.

Any help in this regard will be welcome

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tolailama
Hi, I have the same problem as Glenn, I've been researching how to have better midi sound in biab for some time.
I have the free version of the kontakt and I hesitate to buy the full version because I see that it does not come with too many instruments, would I have to buy or search for banks of instruments later? I use biab for jazz standards.

I also appreciate the sampletank, it seems easier and brings more instruments from the factory.

Kontakt does come with a full library. I choose Kontakt as there are many third party presets either to purchase or for free. Sampletank is also a good MIDI sound source. I think that you would be happy with either program.

[quote=Tolailama
I am very confused now and I have downloaded sounds of heaven but I don't know how it installs and how I can choose it in biab.

Any help in this regard will be welcome [/quote]

Timbres Of Heaven is a soundfont (SF2) and you will need a soundfont player. There are a number of them, some free and some not free. I use the free TX16Wx sampler when I occasionally use SF2s. https://www.tx16wx.com/

Here is a list of some other SF2 players:
http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html

I do not use any of the above in BiaB. I use them in a DAW. You can have more control and tracks in a DAW. If you are using a PC then you have RealBand and that is an excellent place to start. Many here use it as their only DAW.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
Thanks Mario, I have used the vstsynthfont64 that comes in biab and I have managed to load the sounds of heaven, in addition to the library that is included. This improves the above and is an important first step for me.

Now I'm going to keep looking and testing sf2 and testing for a while.

It is easy to use vstsynthfont64 and does not require complicated settings. Kontakt player is too complicated for me, I don't know how to make the midi instruments play by default, I'm sure I'll try again later and ask experts like you in this forum, thank you very much.

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Mario, I have used the vstsynthfont64 that comes in biab and I have managed to load the sounds of heaven, in addition to the library that is included. This improves the above and is an important first step for me.

Now I'm going to keep looking and testing sf2 and testing for a while.

It is easy to use vstsynthfont64 and does not require complicated settings. Kontakt player is too complicated for me, I don't know how to make the midi instruments play by default, I'm sure I'll try again later and ask experts like you in this forum, thank you very much.

There are a number of SF2s available so be sure to check them out. Also there are SF2 editors out there so you can create your own SF2 presets:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/Viena.shtml

Also any non GM VSTi like Kontakt and Sampletank will not set your sounds by default. You have to assign a patch (sound) to each BiaB track. It sounds like that and the SF2 editor should wait until you have a firm understanding of implementing things like them, but I might be wrong.

Good luck and have fun.

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
thanks Mario, that information is important

I'm looking through the garritan jazz & bigband 3 library and I was wondering the same, if that library is gm and it would assign me the default instruments or would I have to assign them on each midi track just like in kontakt or sampletank

Could someone using this product tell me about that? I couldn't find this answer in the garritan web ....I would be very grateful

Last edited by Tolailama; 06/08/20 02:47 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
thanks Mario, that information is important

I'm looking through the garritan jazz & bigband 3 library and I was wondering the same, if that library is gm and it would assign me the default instruments or would I have to assign them on each midi track just like in kontakt or sampletank

Could someone using this product tell me about that? I couldn't find this answer in the garritan web ....I would be very grateful

I have that library and yes you have to assign each a sound to each track, i.e it is not GM. It isn't that difficult. Lets say you have a sax playing under the BiaB string label. You would just load Jazz and Big Band (J&BB) into the VSTi slot for the string labeled track, in J&BB pick a sax sound, and then make sure that J&BB is set to MIDI channel 7, the string labeled channel. I don't do this in BiaB as I prefer to work in my DAW but others do this in BiaB and they can give you more detailed help on doing it.

Expert
Expert
What would be really great is to be able to point tracks to a midi channel in BIAB and have this extended to plugins. That way one could use Kontakt or similar as designed rather than having to implement the same VST multiple times. This is the way most good applications work. Even stuff such as AmpleSound guitars do not need the full application loaded. They share parts thus saving a lot of memory and makes things more efficient.

My thoughts

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Apprentice
Apprentice
What Tony and Mario said...

I send BIAB to loopbe midi out and have Kontakt running as a standalone with loopbe as midi input. Works fine for all the different channels. I totally dismiss GM or patch, volume or panning. In the preferences, I uncheck all the “send midi” options in “overrides” as well as in Midi options.

As far as JABB3 goes: drums are not totally GM, especially the brushes aren’t. And the sounds are no longer convincing to my ear... outdated software, samples. There is much better material out there. Doesn’t respond to GM bank or patch changes either.

I recently bought the V3sound Sonority XXL. I contacted the company cause the Brush drums are not completely GM. They made me a custom version with “correct” brush layout for the same price as a regular one and the sounds, though not comparable to more expensive Kontakt libraries, are surprisingly good. Far better than any actual keyboard below 1000$, including the PSR keyboards. It is GM and responds to all GM commands.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
This is an excellent thread, and I've picked up quite a few tips here including experimenting with Kontakt and some of their free libraries and instruments, which I set up fairly easily yesterday, and does some nice things. At the risk of making this thread too sprawling, here are some tidbits on what I've tried to far that which has worked for me. Note that I'm working primarily in BIAB at this point, and not exporting into DAW's and all that fancy stuff (yet). I'll start with SoundFonts.

SoundFonts - These can produce pretty decent sounds and many are available for free but the technology is old and decent players are in limited supply.

#A few sources that I've used for SoundFonts which I've liked:

*Don Allen's Soundfonts (Timbres of Heaven)
http://midkar.com/soundfonts/index.html

*Essential Keys - Free SoundFonts - John Nebauer is the site owner
https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
- The Yamaha C5 Salamander is pretty impressive

*Another source
http://soundfonts.darkesword.com/

*GoldMidiSF2 - Some free ones, payment required for some of the better/bigger packages.
https://www.goldmidisf2.com/megapro-studio-soundfonts/
- The mega packages and Pro versions sound pretty impressive but are not free
- Some decent packages of free SoundFonts
- They offer a very large collection of a few GB of SoundFonts which you can request but they require a donation for it
- Site is in Italian but my browser let me read it in English (YMMV)

#SoundFont Players

There seems to be a lack of decent VST-based SoundFont players, at least ones that are current and supported. The ones that I've found most useful and which work in BIAB 2020 (and I have only tried a few) are:

*Sforzando (Included with BIAB)
*VSTSynthFont64
*Phenome

In each case there are limitations and gotchas:

*Sforzando (Included with BIAB)
- Requires conversion to Aria format to use
- Aria conversion is very easy - just drag and drop your SF2 or SFZ
- Conversion has worked very well for the many soundfonts that I've tried, but managing multiple sets with large collections becomes quite tedious and complex.

*VSTSynthFont64
- Worked with most SoundFonts that I tried
- Interface is a bit bland and not easy to navigate
- Saving your customized SoundFont settings with BIAB projects is a bit cumbersome

*Phenome v1.7
- Requires JBridge since it is only available as a 32 bit VST
- Only works reliable (for me) if I use the option to split the GUI out using the JBridge advanced settings
- Has a fantastic feature set and numerous controls that are not present in the two above.
- Figuring out how to select a SoundFont, working with long names is tricky, and saving your settings such as the Reverb, attack, etc.) and with your project is tricky - still working that out.
- When it works, it can produce quite impressive results.

If you want more info about how I've set up and got some of these working in BIAB, I'll be glad to provide more info. Again, keep in mind that I'm on the novice end in BIAB, so if you're really serious about getting the most out of your setup, I would go with the tips and advice already provided on the more sophisticated setups. That will serve you better if you goal is to create high quality projects.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
T
DZjang, I am a beginner but I agree with you; there are incredible kontakt sounds! But they are terribly expensive too! I do not know how many factory instruments has included kontakt 6 has and the quality.

EdZ314,oau !this Megapro studio sounds its really cool !!I think it would be perfect for biab,at least for a time.. and at an affordable price..
I'm thinking of buying it ... do you have that Library?? what is your opinion??

Last edited by Tolailama; 06/09/20 09:06 AM.
Expert
Expert
When it comes to expensive Kontakt instruments I can understand why the cost. By the time samples are made and set correctly then put into Kontakt and scripts written. Most good Kontakt libraries have many articulations that need to be set correctly. That all takes incredible resources.

However, if you have a need it can be fun to create your own instruments.

For example, I needed a flute for a part and didn’t have a suitable one. I downloaded a free sample of a nice flute and spread it across the key range I wanted. Added a flexible start point for the sample to get breath or not based on velocity. Added vibrato based on note length also a note release taken from the end of the sample. It sounds good for my use. Total cost zero dollars. Time to set it up about 15 minutes not including finding the sample (but I know where to find some now).

Years ago I set up my Telecaster in Dimension Pro mainly as an exercise in learn SFZ. I was ok but I would like it better. I pulled the samples (not complete) into Kontakt. Then as a scripting exercise setup a simulated round robin (that way it sounds like many more samples, pressing the same note multiple times results in different samples being played). Set up some effects. Is it any good. Well for some stuff I like it more than bought guitars (AmpleSound or Kontakt) I own. But it does not have all the articulations of the pro made stuff.

There are ways to get what you want if you are prepared to put the effort in. A real good example of that is Pipeline who sees a need then creates something to fill the need. From my perspective Pipeline gets more joy out of the fixes made than actually using them. It is satisfying to fill a need.

My opinion Tony.

Last edited by Teunis; 06/09/20 11:46 AM.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Apprentice
Apprentice
The Kontakt 6 library is quite good, the MegaPro not so, I think. I had a collection of soundfonts from that company and it is largely the same stuff as you find in Ed Z’s post.

There is the Vi.One from Vir2 instruments, that is quite capable. Good sounds and fx, not too expensive.

Recently I downloaded the bandlab/cakewalk free DAW. If you use a virtual midi cable like loopbe, as BIAB output and loopbe as the cakewalk input, you have access to the sounds inside cakewalk. They are pretty good. Not Kontakt 6, maybe, but decent.

In Kontakt 6 you have all the good bread and butter sounds, it doesn’t respond to GM patch changes, though. And the drum kits. There is a brush kit but you have to go inside kontakt and move some samples around to get it to work properly.

I reviewed some soundfonts...

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Expert
Expert
For drums if you are using Cakewalk you might try creating a drum map to map GM to the Kontakt drum kit. That should do the conversion for you. You can have a drum come in on one note and go out on another. That way once it’s set up it is an easy matter to point to it. See a Mike Enjo videos
https://youtu.be/usnsji1iMTM

https://youtu.be/sIquUl-7NfE

Tony

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195