User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D

Hi, all:

First off, I hope everyone is safe and sound and staying healthy. I’m wondering if it’s the shelter in place environment we are in that are making you all so prolific, but the great tunes keep coming. A pleasure to listen to you all this morning, on a rainy day . . . though I’ve got some more catching up to do.

Anyway, here’s something new . . . actually a song I’d written a couple years back that I’ve wanted to try out using BIAB. Hope it came out OK. Thanks in advance for the listen!

My best to you all,

Deej

Here’s the song:

GOT TO LET YOU GO

Here are the lyrics:

Sometimes love, well, it’s not enough—
do we care so much we don’t see it’s true?
It’s an easy plan to be a selfish man,
but understand I want what’s best for you.

It’s hard to hear it, I know;
and even harder yet to believe that it’s so.
Yeah, it’s hard to get, but I’ve got to let you go.

I know it’s sad—I thought we’d always last;
but your Mom and Dad say I’m holding you back.
And it ain’t no slight because I know their right—
your future’s bright, and my future’s black.

You’ve got such potential to grow.
There ain’t no limit to how far you can go.
Well, it’s hard to get, but I’ve got to let you go.

You’ve never seen yourself on that stage—
you’re a star in the making, I know.
So, baby, find the strength to walk away;
I’d be the worst kind of man to stand in your way.
Listen, now’s your moment to shine.
You’ll live your life now and I’ll live mine.

Maybe one day, you’ll be on stage about to play,
I’ll shout and wave, and catch your eye,
then you’ll play that sweet sad love ballad
that you wrote back then to help you say goodbye.

Then you’ll crank it up and rock the show;
then walk off stage, arm in arm with your boy and your beau,
and that’s when I’ll regret that I ever let you go.
That’s when I’ll regret that I ever let you go.
It will hurt and yet I’ve got to let you go.

And here’s the band:

RealTracks: 1255 Bass, Electric, PopShining A-B Ev 120
RealTracks: 2494 Piano, Acoustic, HeldChords 120
RealTracks: 3184 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm GrungeSlowQuinn Ev16 060
RealTracks: 785 Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming CrossoverSnappy Sw16 090
RealTracks: 795 Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModernCountrySync Ev 100 (A:strum)
RealTracks: 2444 Guitar, Baritone Electric, Background PopCountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks: 2690 Guitar, Electric, Soloist Slow16thsPopBrentSimple Ev16 075
RealDrums: PopRock16ths^01-a:Snare, HiHat, b:Snare, Ride

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Beautiful song. The lyrics really take it "over the top", so to speak ... based on lyrics alone, far and away the saddest song I've ever heard from you. Particularly heartbreaking for me, personally, as I've been there. But, howsoever that may or may not be: the music is really beautiful and ensures that the pain described and felt by the song persona is not overwhelming but, in some strange way, rather serene and somehow accepting of the situation. Just my two cents' worth, coming from (and most probably coloured by) a personal perspective.

In any case: good job; well written, well sung, all the things we take for granted with a Deej56 production. Just that the lyrics make it go those extra miles and make a good song really great, I feel. I'm going to go chop some onions now :-) - but thanks!

Last edited by musician17; 04/05/20 10:00 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Deej ...

A pretty cool tune! i really enjoyed my listen. A lot of folks say you shouldn't put an upbeat backing to a sad song. I disagree ... sometimes the contrast adds a great dynamic that compliments the whole work. This is a good case in point.

I liked the tremolo guitar on the right pan ... and the lead guitar was a perfect fit. I like the slightly "softer" EQ on your vocal compared to a few of your previous songs.

All said ... great song and a super listen!

Take care and be safe ...

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 04/06/20 10:30 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
You've done well with this song. The lyrics tell a very sad story but not in a maudlin manner.
I like the backing - it fits the song perfectly.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's a cool song.
Why does it lean so heavily to the right? The L channel seems to hold the bvox and, perhaps, some reverb ghosts only...every now & then something else pops but the snare pulls hard to the right.
Need louder vocals apart from the stereo image thing.
Really nice song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
James,

Thanks for the listen and feedback. Yes, a sad song and story, but like you, I feel there's a strange sense of acceptance and closure; like the singer knows he really is doing the right thing by her and he's OK with that in the end. Glad you enjoyed it.

Regards,

Deej

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Alan,

Thanks for the listen. I agree, a sad song doesn't necessarily need to go with a sad melody, though maybe a little harder to do otherwise. Hope I struck the right balance here. Appreciate the call out on dialing down the high EQ . . . I'm trying. smile. Though I think Rayc has the right of it and I was a little too gun shy on the volume of the lead vocal. So a new version posted.

Regards,

Deej

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Mike,

Thanks much for stopping in and giving this one a spin. Glad it worked for you. Stay well!

All my best,

Deej

rayc #590059 04/05/20 07:03 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
rayc,

Good set of ears as always! As far as the overweight on the R channel, for some reason I had the drums to far over--not sure how I got there or how I missed it. And then I think moving the main rhythm guitar a little bit closer to center might help. I also shifted over the electric guitar, which really only has a small part later in the song, to the left side. Hopefully that gives it a little more balance. New version attached.

I also upped the vocal a bit. Oddly enough, I had it even a bit higher when I first posted to Soundcloud, but dialed it back when I posted it here. I think, though, I went too far with that. Here's hoping I didn't go too far the other way in raising the Vox volume in this new version.

Great comments--really appreciate them.

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - I thoroughly enjoyed my listen. Very poignant, and simply put - beautiful. I agree with Alan above as well. The upbeat tempo contrasts perfectly here, and really does add a unique and captivating dynamic.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,

Everything about this is working.

I've gotten to it after the "fixes". Whatever they were, they worked.

As Alan mentioned, you have really "dialed in" your vocals. Nice job!

Well written song. Personally, I think your songs are significantly stronger when you are writing the lyrics yourself. These are really well done. Focused.

Good mix. (I did think the bass could have been just slightly "beefier").

Nice. I like it.

fj

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Love your vocals and really cool write. The lyrics are bittersweet with an innocence about them.

Last edited by Belladonna; 04/06/20 07:02 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,
The balance sounds good to me (and that includes the upbeat feel of the music set against the pain in the story).
Ace vocals! For my taste your voice sits in the sweet spot between clarity and affectation- instantly recognisable with unique phrasing that never slurs the lyrics past understanding.
A good simple arrangement with the snappy acoustic driving the song.
Very enjoyable music!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Great tune!!! So naturally written and delivered....comfortable and passionate!! Reminds me of Lindsey Buckingham a little. Everything works......you don't want it to end!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi DeeJay,

what a cool tune... great lyrics wrapped in a brilliant song impressively sung.

very well done, Deejay, very well done,

Stay well,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,
I only have rubbish headphones at the moment, (my usual ones are hanging for a few hours to get some kinks out), so I can't offer a decent comment from close listening BUT on these things the songs shines through...always a good sign when a song triumphs over the technical stuff.
Well done.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Deryk, Floyd, Belladonna, Robert, Greg, Stefan, and rayc:

Wow, thanks so much for the kind comments, all. So much appreciated. I'd like to think it among my better lyrics, so glad it came off well enough in BIAB. Glad you all enjoyed the listen.

Floyd: The challenge to writing my own lyric is that it comes hard and slow. These days I find it much easier to come up with a melody than a lyric I'm happy with. And it's always fun to take up someone else's lyric and give it a whirl. Sometimes having that extra creative mind to partner with help get the engine to turn. But, yeah, I need to discipline myself a little more when it comes to sitting down and grinding out my own.

Robert: Very kind words on the vocal. Thanks for that.

Greg: Lindsey Buckingham? . . I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

rayc: Well, I think I discovered another flaw in my mix. I had one plug in I was using on vocal that had a stereo and mono option, and I think I was unknowingly using the latter--which may have caused the vocals to pull more right than left. Unfortunately, my DAW seems to have dropped some tracks from my last version--Grrrrr!--and I don't think I can go back and toy with it. Hopefully, it's well enough along with the additional adjustments I made (fingers crossed).

Thanks, again, all.

Deej

Last edited by Deej56; 04/08/20 07:11 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Enjoyed it. Your vocal mix is spot on. Love the chord progression and as Donna mentioned it has a sweet innocence about the lyrics that's charming.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I got pulled into the rhythm of the arrangement right from the start.

Nice write, strong singing, no issues with the mix from me.

I'd say it came out more than just OK. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Sundance and David,

Thanks for giving this a spin and taking the time to comment--it's much appreciated. Happy everything seems to work for you both.

Best regards, and stay healthy!

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,565
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200