Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Bob (rsdean) posted a tribute song to John Prine shortly after his passing.
I thought that was a really nice idea. So I thought I would follow his lead.

Prine's first album ("John Prine" - 1971) was my "songwriting bible".
My buddy and I used to get to rummage through the basement of our local easy-listening radio station (very small town in upstate New York).
They put all the promotional records they got and didn't play down there.
We found Prine's debut a few weeks before it was released.
(We also found Jimmy Buffet's first and Springsteen's first and second, Jackson Browne's first)
After hearing it, I ran out and bought my own copy as soon as it was in the store ($3.12 - the regular price for records then)
I wore that record out. It taught me much of what I know about songwriting.
We played many of the songs in bars in the summers (as a duo). Long before most folks had heard of Prine.
When I moved to Nashville to work at writing "commercial" Country, I had to stop listening to Prine...
Otherwise, half of what I wrote came out sounding like a Prine song (Which certainly didn't fit the need at the time).
It was hard at first, but I eventually locked all those songs out.
I did not listen to any John Prine records for the next 25 years.

In the past few years, I have gone back to playing my favorites occasionally when I sit down with a guitar.
"Far From Me"..."Hello In There"..."Angel From Montgomery"..."Paradise"...
John's passing broke my heart.
I have, since, been lsitening to his entire catalog - one record per day.
Many of the later ones I haven't heard before...
If you don't know John Prine (I can't imagine many would not), you owe it to yourself to listen to his debut.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prine_(album)
It is a songwriting masterpiece.

So this is about all of that.

If you are familiar with Prine's records, you should recognize many of the production elements from those early records.

A tribute to my biggest "song writing hero/mentor"...

LET IT BLEED

I kept it bottled up for years
held it back like unshed tears
so no one would know
what's inside me
thinkin' now what a big a mistake
you get so filled up the dam's bound to break
how could i deny
the man who baptized me

sometimes you've got to let it go
   the volcano is bound to blow
   let the devils out
   let the angels shout
   it's a primal need
   throw off the chain
   unlock the locks
   open up pandora's box
   open up that vein
   let it bleed

i left him back some time ago
to find what i thought he didn't know
looking to win the fight
he hadn't fought
now he's gone it breaks my heart
the man who showed me how to start
to find the words to tell the world
just what i thought

sometimes you've got to let it go
   the volcano is bound to blow
   let the devils out
   let the angels shout
   it's a primal need
   throw off the chain
   unlock the locks
   open up pandora's box
   open up that vein
   let it bleed

open up the pain
   let it bleed

The BAND:
RealTracks in style: 521:Bass, Electric, Pop Syncopated Ev 136
RealTracks in style: ~~407:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 165
RealTracks in style: ~406:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 136
RealTracks in song: 1667:Pedal Steel, Soloist CountryPaul Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 3099:Organ, Rhythm AmericanaSlow16thsMike Ev16 060
RealTracks in song: 3198:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist PopBalladBrent Ev 065
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16

"The sky is black and still now
On the hill where the angels sing"

- John Prine "Far From Me"

Your passing saddens me.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

This song / presentation is stunningly beautiful... So moving and with a great history behind it.

A simply amazing piece of work and my new favorite from you.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, this is wonderful!

Certainly one of your best and my new favorite from you.

Listening through a second time while typing this ... production wise you had me right from the opening with just the acoustic, and then the way you start bringing in the instruments, holding off bringing in the drums until the very end ... very effective.

But it doesn't matter how good the production is if the song doesn't have good bones, and this certainly does! Great writing and vocal.

Thanks for the backstory too, enjoyed reading that.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You certainly found yourself up to the task, Floyd. Thanks
for the personal testimony and the look into the character of
one greatly admired on this forum, Mr. Floyd Jane.
I was fortunate to attend this 2011 concert at the Fox in Butte,
restored in modern times into a class music hall.
https://mtstandard.com/entertainment/tgif/john-prine-to-play-at-mother-lode/article_5384d9ac-7d3d-11e0-b1fe-001cc4c03286.html
Don't know if he played there again. Some of my friends there
have been similarly influenced and do pretty fair covers, even today. (That's an understatement)
https://youtu.be/spuYiWdzMNE
I'm sure they will enjoy hearing "Let it Bleed."

Last edited by edshaw; 04/14/20 07:53 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I have only just heard of John Prine upon his passing (I'm an eighties child). But your song is more than just a tribute to him - it's, to me at least, a masterpiece standing in its own right. You are such an extraordinary songwriter ... often head and heels above most I know, so well done ... superb job once more. You have this talent to tell a story, calmly and heartbreakingly so. This is no exception ... phenomenal from every aspect. It's a bravo from me.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very John Prine-like dude.

Great!

Loved it!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I went into this expecting it to be a nice tribute. It was that; but so much more. It's "Leader of the Band" if John Prine wrote it.

Tribute hardly sums it up. A dedication of the impact of one's man's life on another's life even would fall short. That someone gives you THAT much inspiration in song writing and you turn around and use that gift to honor him is incredible.

Yeah, all the usual "high bars" exceeded once again. If you would like me to elaborate on that; I will gladly. I just have a feeling others will as well.

Amazing song. Chills and tears...no lie.

Thank you for bringing us into a piece of your story!

Last edited by HearToLearn; 04/14/20 09:29 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd ...

A flashback to better days. And yes, John Prine's contributions to songwriting have few equals. He reminded me of Tom T. Hall in one way ... his songs always said something worthy of the listen: good stories and lesson on life. In another way, I can contrast him with Harlan Howard: very prolific, just gets to the heart of the story and offers stories about the common man that so many can relate to.

This is one of my very favorites from you.The lyric says so much without over-complicating things. The gradual build of the backing tracks ... waiting until the last quarter of the song to introduce the drums. I love songs that start out teasingly soft and, increment by increment add just enough new backing, at the perfect places, to build the tension and interest. In other words, also something new to anticipate and when it arrives, you just gotta say, "Wow, this gets better and better - can't wait to hear the rest of it."

Other than my time with Di, this is the best three minutes I've enjoyed in quite some time. Many thanks for that.

Wishing you and yours the very best. Please stay safe.

Alan

PS: Di and I were tested for COVID 19. Both came back negative.

Last edited by Al-David; 04/14/20 10:00 AM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Just to say that I'm delighted that both yourself, Alan, and your wife's COVID 19 results came back negative. Brilliant news.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
What a wonderful tribute! Stunningly good lyrics (especially the chorus) and fine flowing melody.
I enjoyed reading your backstory and will take the hint; there`s some JP nuggets there I surely missed.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd

Wonderful! A really touching tribute an importantly a superb song.

A masterclass in writing production and delivery.

Peter

User Showcase
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hi Floyd,

This is an outstanding song and a fine tribute to your "mentor"...
I'm almost embarrassed to say I've never heard any of his songs until his passing.
Please don't take this the wrong way, as it's meant to be compliment...
Your song sounds like it could have come from one of the "Every Which Way But Loose" movie sound tracks.
Really cool vibe brother...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This song / presentation is stunningly beautiful... So moving and with a great history behind it.

A simply amazing piece of work and my new favorite from you.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. These are nice things to hear from you (being the "word man" that you are).

This idea came to me 2 days ago. I had the song written in 20 minutes. This style of writing is so ingrained in me they happen fast. And with the magic of BIAB, the next day, I was done!

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Floyd
I love John Prine's songs. They make me smile and they make me cry, sometimes at the same time. I completely agree with David when he says this is 'very John Prine-like.' In my book, there is simply no higher praise.
Well done, a great tribute.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sung with heart and yes, you used some of his touch stones.
Really nice arrangement and a vocal that has just the right amount of bruise.
Excellent.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
floyd, this is wonderful!

Certainly one of your best and my new favorite from you.

Listening through a second time while typing this ... production wise you had me right from the opening with just the acoustic, and then the way you start bringing in the instruments, holding off bringing in the drums until the very end ... very effective.

But it doesn't matter how good the production is if the song doesn't have good bones, and this certainly does! Great writing and vocal.

Thanks for the backstory too, enjoyed reading that.

I certainly appreciate all of that, Dave.

The production ('cause I know you are a meticulous production guy...) is built to reflect Prine's sound - especially from the first record.
There was a lot of "just acoustic guitar".
There was a lot of acoustic guitar + bass - and it often did that 3 note walk-up to start (I had to build that from snippets of the RT)...
Steve Goodman often threw in some acoustic leads.
There were a number of songs that were acoustic + bass + organ.
There were places where a simple pedal steel played along for much of the song.
And there was limited use of drums - a lot more in later records - so I waited until the final chorus to let that drummer do his thing - and kept that rather subtle...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Floyd,

I wrote Bob I didn't know John Prine, but I learned some of him on the internet. The other thing is I'm a bit familiair with your songs and I always like them. Can't tell if this one is your best or not, but it is certainly a very good song! That counts for all your songs until now...
I was only amazed of one tiny thing: At the time you sing "i left him back some time ago, to find what i thought he didn't know" there was also a mandoline coming in. But only for this line or even less. And it didn't come back. So a very short performance of that instrument. How come? I'm pretty sure you had an idea with that. I guessed that mr Prine did these kind of things too, but that wasn't the case as far as I could hear from several videos on YouTube. So tell me what were your considerations?

Thanks for the song,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
WOW!!! A great song about a great songwriter BY another great songwriter!! Lots of greatness in there!! I love the honest simplicity and raw beauty of the lyrics.......done in true John Prine style! A wonderful tribute!! Floyd, I hope you live at least several months longer than me so you can write me such a wonderful tribute, although I'm not saying I'm deserving of that kind of admiration. LOVE IT!!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This reminded me of a famous Red Smith quote: "Writing is easy, all you gotta do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." I really appreciated this as a huge JP fan, I worked in a record store and still remember the record number (Atlantic 8296) of that iconic first album. Love the way you brought instruments in gradually on this mix, I've gotta try that for myself. Thanks for a great one here.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
You certainly found yourself up to the task, Floyd. Thanks
for the personal testimony and the look into the character of
one greatly admired on this forum, Mr. Floyd Jane.
I was fortunate to attend this 2011 concert at the Fox in Butte,
restored in modern times into a class music hall.
https://mtstandard.com/entertainment/tgif/john-prine-to-play-at-mother-lode/article_5384d9ac-7d3d-11e0-b1fe-001cc4c03286.html
Don't know if he played there again. Some of my friends there
have been similarly influenced and do pretty fair covers, even today. (That's an understatement)
https://youtu.be/spuYiWdzMNE
I'm sure they will enjoy hearing "Let it Bleed."

Ed - thanks for the listen and the comments...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195