Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice tribute. Nice sounds. Touching lyrics and vocal delivery. I like it.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Absolutely everything about this is class. The lyrics themselves sing enormous praise to the talent Mr. Prine delivered.

The music and vocals deliver those lyrics so perfectly.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
There was a period of time in my musical journey when the bands had broken up and I simply played solo gigs in the same places. I played a lot of gigs on the local military base. The money was slim but the crowds generally made it a big party. John Prine was in my set lists. Especially Sam Stone and Paradise. The guys from Kentucky and the vets who'd been to "Nam" liked Sam Stone. Rarely a night went by that I didn't have someone in the crowd calling out pay that song about Kentucky or play that song about the hole in daddy's arm.

I like the tribute you wrote for John. He was certainly a writer who didn't care about the commercial aspect of the industry but still make a permanent mark on so many people's hearts. That's what writing songs is all about anyway. Planting a little piece of yourself into the souls of others.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musician17
I have only just heard of John Prine upon his passing (I'm an eighties child). But your song is more than just a tribute to him - it's, to me at least, a masterpiece standing in its own right. You are such an extraordinary songwriter ... often head and heels above most I know, so well done ... superb job once more. You have this talent to tell a story, calmly and heartbreakingly so. This is no exception ... phenomenal from every aspect. It's a bravo from me.

James - those are some really nice things to hear. Thank you so much...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome tribute Floyd. Awesome lyric. Very cool backtrack and vocal. Excellent guitar as well. Well done...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Very John Prine-like dude.

Great!

Loved it!

David - I like all of those words smile Thanks.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

The first time Janice heard this she teared up immediately. Tribute songs flow when such a luminary passes but we cannot imagine a more moving one than this. The lyric and the arrangement so artfully and passionately capture the spirit of the man. And they also capture the spirit of the man who wrote and produced this song and how John influenced him initially and later in his life.

We already mentioned the arrangement (as have others) but it remarkably captures the essence of so many of his songs with instrumentation...most notably the build.

This truly deserves to be heard and loved by many.

J&B

PS: I (Bud) was 25 and it was 1971 and my group of friends were prone to hang out at the local record store. And it was there I first saw his first album. I don't recall why I bought it but I was hooked from the get go and remain so.

To this day I can't imagine an album with more great songs on it. The bar was raised so high with it.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
This is a lovely song Floyd. I'm not familiar enough with John Prine to appreciate all the nuances and nods in your song but I really enjoyed your performance.
Somehow, John Prine is one songwriter that I missed on my trip through music but you and Bob have stoked my interest, and, thanks to Spotify, I have his whole catalogue to explore.
Love your background preamble too.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike Garry
BIAB 2022 (Build 927)/RealBand (5) (64bit), UltraPak, Kontakt, EZmix, Ozone 9 Elements, Hybrid 3, Audacity, Acer Predator, Windows 10, 64bit, 16GB ram, CPU: Intel i7.

https://soundcloud.com/user-952388172
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
FJ,
Passionate and very "in spirit" tribute. Excellent lyrics. Arrangement and performance is top shelf. Liked it! Thank you for sharing.

P.S. I listened to "Summer's End" and it made me think, if he stayed with us, what kind of song he would write about the situation we are in now? I guess, he left it to his followers...

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
I went into this expecting it to be a nice tribute. It was that; but so much more. It's "Leader of the Band" if John Prine wrote it.

Tribute hardly sums it up. A dedication of the impact of one's man's life on another's life even would fall short. That someone gives you THAT much inspiration in song writing and you turn around and use that gift to honor him is incredible.

Yeah, all the usual "high bars" exceeded once again. If you would like me to elaborate on that; I will gladly. I just have a feeling others will as well.

Amazing song. Chills and tears...no lie.

Thank you for bringing us into a piece of your story!

Caaron - Thanks for the fine comments. It means a lot that folks (like you) think that the song reflects well how I feel about Prine and the influence that he had on me (and others). From all I've ever read he was a fine a human being as he was a songwriter...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Masterfully written, arranged and performed, Floyd. Love the way you built the excitement. Cool story about the radio station's basement treasures.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd ...

A flashback to better days. And yes, John Prine's contributions to songwriting have few equals. He reminded me of Tom T. Hall in one way ... his songs always said something worthy of the listen: good stories and lesson on life. In another way, I can contrast him with Harlan Howard: very prolific, just gets to the heart of the story and offers stories about the common man that so many can relate to.

This is one of my very favorites from you.The lyric says so much without over-complicating things. The gradual build of the backing tracks ... waiting until the last quarter of the song to introduce the drums. I love songs that start out teasingly soft and, increment by increment add just enough new backing, at the perfect places, to build the tension and interest. In other words, also something new to anticipate and when it arrives, you just gotta say, "Wow, this gets better and better - can't wait to hear the rest of it."

Other than my time with Di, this is the best three minutes I've enjoyed in quite some time. Many thanks for that.

Wishing you and yours the very best. Please stay safe.

Alan

PS: Di and I were tested for COVID 19. Both came back negative.

Alan - if you are ever going to be "negative" that is certainly the best way to do it! Glad to hear that.

Thanks for the very fine review. It is much appreciated!! As I said earlier...John's passing made me sad...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
What a wonderful tribute! Stunningly good lyrics (especially the chorus) and fine flowing melody.
I enjoyed reading your backstory and will take the hint; there`s some JP nuggets there I surely missed.

Robert

I appreciate that, Robert. And to reiterate... Prine's first record is THE essential Prine - all of his best work is in that one album...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Wonderful! A really touching tribute an importantly a superb song.

A masterclass in writing production and delivery.

Peter

Thank you, Peter...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What a tribute Floyd! Exceptionally great writing here! I also noticed shades of Don Mclean shining through. Super singing and production also! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a big fan of Mr. Prine and his first album was one, if not his best, album. I think every song on that album is a classic.

This is a fantastic tribute to a fantastic storyteller. You my friend are second to none when it comes to storytelling through a song.

This is super.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Floyd

Just stellar. Excellent write, among your best. And really fitting tribute to JP. Topped by your usual expert production and you’ve got one outstanding tune. Killer!

Hope all is well in your world,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Bawb
Hi Floyd,

This is an outstanding song and a fine tribute to your "mentor"...
I'm almost embarrassed to say I've never heard any of his songs until his passing.
Please don't take this the wrong way, as it's meant to be compliment...
Your song sounds like it could have come from one of the "Every Which Way But Loose" movie sound tracks.
Really cool vibe brother...

Thanks, Bawb... Had to go look up that soundtrack to see what was on it...that's been a while...late 70' - so the time frame sorta matches...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi Floyd
I love John Prine's songs. They make me smile and they make me cry, sometimes at the same time. I completely agree with David when he says this is 'very John Prine-like.' In my book, there is simply no higher praise.
Well done, a great tribute.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks, Leon. It is nice to know that "true fans" find this "Prine-like" - as that was intended, of course...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !

I love what you´ve done here !
My new fav of your tunes, without doubt !

Cheers
Dani

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,392
Posts732,471
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195