Go To
Beginners Forum
R
Ray N Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
After a few weeks of using BIAB 2020 I decided to look at Real Band, provided with BIAB 2020 PlusPak.
When starting up the program it asks for the pathes to

- Band in a Box
- Real Tracks
- Real Drums

I am running from the external hard Drive supplied with BIAB 2020 (H: on my pc). When I supply the following paths:

- BIAB is at H:\bb
- Real Tracks is at H:\bb\RealTracks
- Real Drums is at H:\bb\Drums

the installation programme gives the following message :

"Your Band-in-a-Box folder appears not to be a valid BB install.
If you quit now, Real Band will not be able to generate songs.
Are you sure you want to exit this dialog"

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem, since my BIAB is definitely a registered, valid install?
Many thanks

Last edited by Ray N; 03/20/20 12:59 AM.

Gear : HP Pavillion 14-bf0xx Laptop, Win 10 family 64bit, i7-7500U CPU@2.70GHz, 8Gb memory, BIAB 2020, Zoom U-44, Reaper (beginner). Various electric and acoustic guitars, bass, mandolin.
Setting up small home recording studio by mikes and XLR for fun.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Are you positive that your BiaB is on the external drive? Many, if not most, run BiaB from our C drive and have our RTs and RDs on another drive.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
2 possible scenarios jump to mind
Do you have a C:\bb folder?
Is it from the 2020 install or maybe a previous version?

Has the license been activated?
(you mentioned a few weeks, which is what the program allows before requiring activation)

Last edited by rharv; 03/20/20 12:30 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
R
Ray N Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Yes BIAB runs on the external hard drive on which it was delivered, definitely not from the c: drive

Gear : HP Pavillion 14-bf0xx Laptop, Win 10 family 64bit, i7-7500U CPU@2.70GHz, 8Gb memory, BIAB 2020, Zoom U-44, Reaper (beginner). Various electric and acoustic guitars, bass, mandolin.
Beginners Forum
R
Ray N Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: rharv
2 possible scenarios jump to mind
Do you have a C:\bb folder?
Is it from the 2020 install or maybe a previous version?

Has the license been activated?
(you mentioned a few weeks, which is what the program allows before requiring activation)

No C:\bb folder
No previous install on this machine
Yes, the licence has been activated

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
You may need to do the minimal install so RB finds what it needs.
If you install BiaB to C: (it can be a minimal install taking little space), maybe that will work
(then point RB to the C:\bb folder for BiaB)

The message says the 'install' is not valid. Maybe you need to 'install' it somewhere. (?)

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Ray,

In your H:\bb folder, do you have the file bbw.exe?
In the H:\bb\Data folder, do you have the files "default.sol" and "rtextra.bin"?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
R
Ray N Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Hi Andrew and thanks for replying. "Yes" to both questions

In your H:\bb folder, do you have the file bbw.exe?
In the H:\bb\Data folder, do you have the files "default.sol" and "rtextra.bin"?

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
One more thing, do you have the file H:\bb\Styles\ZZJAZZ.sty.

Could you attach a screenshot that shows the message happening in RealBand? Maybe we will notice something unusual.
Note: you can use the "File Manager" to attach an image file when you reply to a post.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
R
Ray N Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Hi Andrew
Had some health problems so sorry for the delay in replying.

Yes -ZZJAZZ.STY is present see screenshot. I also enclose a screenshot of the warning message that you asked for, plus one showing where I instruct Realband to find the various files, which then generates the warning message. Finally there is sceen capture of the TicketsActivated subdirectory of RealBand

Real Band is installed on my C: drive at c:\Realband. I'm beginning to think that the next step is to uninstall RealBand from C: and start over. Are there any files I should retain from the current install (such as the TicketsActivated subdirectory, or will a new install create all the necessary files from scratch?

Many thanks for your help
Ray

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
File Manager -ZZJAZZ.STY.jpg (124.6 KB, 80 downloads)
rejection message.jpg (31.36 KB, 80 downloads)
Directories.jpg (49.18 KB, 80 downloads)
TicketsActivated.jpg (105.91 KB, 80 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Have you activated BiaB on H: ? (in H:\bb\ticketsActivated?)

Beginners Forum
R
Ray N Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: rharv
Have you activated BiaB on H: ? (in H:\bb\ticketsActivated?)

Yes BiaB is activated on H:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB 2020 activation.png (79.41 KB, 79 downloads)

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Most of us who have run BiaB/RB successfully for a long time use C:\bb as the location as shown in my image below. May be worth trying. (ignore the Realtracks and Realdrums locations in this image, they could just as well be your external drive, I just happen to have copied them to an internal drive for faster drive access). The point is, most of us use the C:\ location for BB.

Try installing BiaB to C: using the minimum install options.
It will take little disk space (and time) to try it.

Maybe RB needs something in the system registry that an actual install would create.
If it doesn't work at first, make sure RB is looking to the new BiaB location on C:

If it works, it is up to you whether you want to run it that way or not, but it will help eliminate one possible cause.

Just an idea, you can always remove it if it doesn't work, or you don't want it running there.
It's the one thing I see that differs from my set up (and many others) compared to yours.

BBPath.jpg (36.57 KB, 70 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 04/19/20 08:36 AM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Just noticed; your very last image in the RB images you posted shows RB activation for 2015.
You are having problems with 2020 according to your first post.

You may need to start over.
Are you trying to run RB 2015 against a 2020 BB version?
Could that be the issue?

See copy of your posted image below

VersionTicketIssue.jpg (31.31 KB, 62 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 04/19/20 08:48 AM.

Beginners Forum
R
Ray N Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R

Interesting ! I didn't even have this notebook in 2015 so I'm astounded that a 2015 ticket shows.....

I'll uninstall RB and reinstall from the 2020 External hard drive to see if that solves the problem

Beginners Forum
R
Ray N Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Well, the big guns did the job.

- I've de-activated BiaB from my laptop.
- Renamed and put in a safe place various c:\bb directories, subdirectories and files
- deinstalled any trace of RealBand from the C Drive
- run a total reinstall of BiaB on my hard drive partition D:, and reactivated it
- spent 2 hours resetting various BiaB personal parameters via the preferences menu
- migrateed my songs and 800 jazz standards from the external H: drive to the D: partition. I will now back these songs up on the external H: drive once a week. This will free up space on my external drive hub so I can add a DVD reader/burner to it.
- startup up RealBand from the D: partition
- successfully activated it !

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help
Ray

Last edited by Ray N; 04/20/20 09:00 PM.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Please edit your post and in the Topic section add [Resolved] to the end of it.
That'll help other users find the solution you've provided, if other users encounter this problem.
smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,599
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193