Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
J
OP Offline
J
Hello:

I have traditionally used the stand-alone instance of BiaB and my workflow is to create chord progressions, apply a style and play the sequence created. I can then quickly change a style and playback to audition different styles to find good fits. Once I have the progression correct & have applied the correct style I can generate the digital audio, which is handy.

When using the VSTi it seems like I have to generate the digital audio each time after changing a style to allow playback. Is this correct? Is there some way to just use the VSTi as an in-DAW sequence generator/MIDI sound source?

Thanks in advance,
J

J
OP Offline
J
PS- really what I am looking for is just a quick "audition" of chords & style within my DAW using the BiaB VSTi, without the constant need for extended periods of track regeneration even after a simple set of changes to the chords or style.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If you want to use your actual chords in your song (rather than just hear a pre-made demo) then it does need to be generated and rendered before you can hear it. One thing you could do is (temporarily) reduce the number of bars/choruses in your song while your demoing styles.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: jaschoon
...Is there some way to just use the VSTi as an in-DAW sequence generator/MIDI sound source?

Thanks in advance,
J

You can just generate up midi tracks that is very quick, Generate > Custom > All pages (midi only)
you set the tracks to sync by double clicking on the track drag icon until it turns blue
you can chain a gm soundfont player or Apple DLS synth after the BiabPlugin or create a midi send with them on another track.

J
OP Offline
J
andrew/pipeline:

thanks for your replies. its unfortunate that the vsti doesnt have the same capability as the stand-alone (although the vsti has some not found in the stand-alone).

pipeline: it does sound like there are some workflow workarounds. can you help me understand the suggestion you made, please?

* generating midi is quick, is there any way to automate it? maybe after each style change (which is kinda what i think the stand-alone does)?

*can you explain the track sync you mentioned in your second item, please? ive searched on this and cant quite understand.

* i have ni kontakt libraries that i can use as a sound source with midi generated in biab. how can i create the midi send from biab that i can route to a kontakt track?

im also trying to understand if i might be better to use the standalone biab app and route this to my daw.

thanks in advance,
j

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Jaschoon,

I have dealt with more or less the same issue, but in my workflow I've started using Song Form Dialogue in BIAB Stand Alone.

I create my parts A, B, C etc just using either Piano or Guitar to have as little of each part to render as possible. Once I'm happy with the chord progression in each part, then I choose instruments or styles until I am satisfied. I usually save a master SGU file, and work in a copy where I replace the instruments. I never use more than 4 tracks in BIAB for rendering....for my Old 2011 MacBook Pro QUAD Core - this has proven to be quite time saving.

I know it was not the exact solution, but maybe gives a hint or an idea for changing your work flow - or realizing that your flow is far superior than mine :-)

Last edited by Peters Garage; 04/24/20 07:55 AM.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
* generating midi is quick, is there any way to automate it? maybe after each style change (which is kinda what i think the stand-alone does)?

If you select a MIDI style in the StylePicker (you can identify them because they do not start with an underscore character), then song generation will indeed be quicker because RealTracks do not need to be generated. If you are trying out different chord progressions, you could temporarily select an all MIDI style to audition your chords quickly, and then switch back to your RealStyle (with RealTracks) once you are happy with your chord sequence.

With a RealStyle, song generation time depends on the length of your song, and the number of RealTracks you have. In the Band-in-a-Box program (not plugin), song generation seems quick, because the program starts playing after it has generated the first few measures. It then continues generating "under the hood" while your song is playing. So you might simulate this by temporarily making your song really short, say 4-8 measures - just while you are auditioning. I would not be a bad idea for us to have an option to generate just the first four bars automatically.

Pipeline may have a different idea but about this, I'm not sure.

Quote:
*can you explain the track sync you mentioned in your second item, please? ive searched on this and cant quite understand.

Yes, if you are using the plugin inside a DAW, then you can double-click on a track icon inside the plugin (it will turn blue), and this will "sync" that track to your DAW. So when you press Play in your DAW, then plugin will start playing that track at the same time. This is useful for example if you haven't dragged the track into your DAW and are still experimenting with different instruments.

Quote:
* i have ni kontakt libraries that i can use as a sound source with midi generated in biab. how can i create the midi send from biab that i can route to a kontakt track?

Well.. with the Band-in-a-Box Plugin, you cannot select a MIDI synth to play your track. While you are auditioning inside the plugin it is playing rendered wave files. If you have MIDI tracks, you can drag them into your DAW. Inside your DAW you will choose your VSTi / MIDI synth, or whatever is available for MIDI playback from your DAW.

In the full Band-in-a-Box program you can choose a specific VSTi for each MIDI track similar to how you can do in your DAW. You would click on the Plugin tab of the Mixer Window and click on where it says "[none]".

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 04/24/20 08:16 AM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
J
OP Offline
J
everyone: thanks very much for your thoughts. i am going to spend some time this weekend working through all of the suggestions. ill report back soon!

cheers!

j

J
OP Offline
J
one other last thought-

in the initial stages of song development im not planning to use real tracks, just midi. the first part of the process (similar to my previous process using older versions of biab) will be just entering chords and auditioning styles with these. my hope is that i can minimize and automate quick style auditions.

once i find a progression/song and style that i like i will likely save the file as a biab project, whether stand-alone or vst. from there i will copy the midi file from the stand-alone to my daw and route through kontakt for midi playback OR i will drag real audio tracks from the vst.

the question will be stand-alone vs. vst- how can i do the chord/style audition in the quickest, most seamless way.

thx

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Yes if you just use Midi Styles/Tracks it's quick to regenerate changes.
If you have Kontakt just load it after the Biab Plugin or create a midi send from the Biab track to another track with Kontakt on.
I don't know what DAW/s you are using to create a midi send.

Quote:

That has been asked a million times.
I have asked PG for over a year to make this easy to sync play tracks and have solo and mute buttons on the track but for some reason they have refused to do it and would rather users be confused and give up with the plugin.

I haven't tried it on Mac but with "Generate > Custom > All pages (midi only)" it generates midi only for the first page but the other pages it generates up the wav as well so there is a bug that needs fixing as this will take a lot more time generating.

Look in the Win Plugin forum there are lots of guides.
Send Midi Out of BiabVst to Kontakt

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
..the midi tracks on the first page of the BIAB VST output to the standard BIAB midi default channels:

Track Channel
Bass 2
Piano 3
Melody 4
Thru 5
Guitar 6
Strings 7
Soloist 8
Drums 10

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
im also trying to understand if i might be better to use the standalone biab app and route this to my daw.

I'm have been asking PG to create a small vst that will sync Biab main app to any DAW, so you simply load that vst in your DAW and it will send the transport messages to the Biab app.
The audio can be sent with AUNetSend AUNetReceive plugins that come with mac.

J
OP Offline
J
sorry about the delay in replying. i have done some work with both interfaces and am close to the thoughts i have on each/both.

i can say, pipeline, that i agree with your idea right off the bat. there is a disconnect between the full biab app and the in-daw vsti. one quick win would be make the full app capable of syncing with a given daw. the longer solution is to flesh out the vsti to have all of the functionality of the full app.

id also like to see non-rendered midi playback in the vsti, which i use in the full app.

i hope to have more thoughts shortly.

j

J
OP Offline
J
one other thing- i am really happy overall to be using band-in-a-box again. it IS a pretty outstanding tool.

smile

Last edited by jaschoon; 05/07/20 11:59 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,503
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195