Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
I had a quick look at Studio One and got it to send the BiabVst midi channels out to the instrument tracks, see pic below.
Reaper is really easy.

To generate midi only with the audio files Generate > Custom > All Pages (Midi Only)
there is no option on each track's + to generate midi only without the wav.

And here are the track channels thanks to MusicStudent
Track Channel
Bass 2
Piano 3
Melody 4
Thru 5
Guitar 6
Strings 7
Soloist 8
Drums 10

4k Pic All Tracks Full Screen

Full Screen Pic

Another way I found is with ElementVST, you simply load the Element vst3i or vst3fx
click view top right
now simply drag the Band-in-a-Box DAW VST3 Plugin.vst3 into it and the other instruments you need
connect them up
click MIDI in the list on the left and set channel from Omni to the instrument channel of the selected VST
*Make sure you have EXT on up in the top left so it receives sync.
Save that Element setup then just simply load it each session.
You can add whatever you need in Element like a midi transpose to transpose the midi signal up or down an octave.

If you want more midi just use another instance of the BiabVst.
Full Screen Pic

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Okay that looks kind of cool. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into that demo. Thank you for that. Help me understand why I would need to do that rather than just drag the midi tracks into the DAW and work with them there? What would be a situation that would call for that type of setup?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
That's how all plugins that generate midi work, you send the midi output to a vsti when you are happy with the midi track or phrase you drag it into the DAW.
Same with Audio, you may have Direct Input multiriffs in one instance of the Plugin, you load Amplitube/Guitar Rig after the BiabVst or create an audio send to a track with Amplitube/Guitar Rig on and simply solo (well that's not a simple action how it is now) the riff to preview in situ.
That's why other Plugins have solo/mute buttons, so you can see now why solo mute are totally important (and the track midi channel setting), you need it to be professional like the session musicians that play the tracks.
The BiabVst originally worked the same as the video below, no syncing just drag tracks out, no advantage than using Biab in Plugin Mode.
If you just want to drag all the audio and midi tracks into the DAW just use this method:

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Now I understand what you are saying. I can see some value in that. My next question is this, since the plugin does not have midi tools to move/add/delete/ change notes or cc commands, etc isn’t what you are proposing more suited for RB which already has that capability. I get what you are saying about hearing the track prior to dragging, but you can manipulate it to make changes, the real charts are created from audio, and the midi tracks from style creation. Once generated they are what they are going to be.

Just seems like if one wants to do a bunch of midi work this not the right tool. RB, or BiaB is more suited. But hey maybe your right on this one. We will have to wait and see. At the least the plugin getting pretty stable and the basics now work pretty darned good.

As far as solo/mute buttons that I can see happening at some point. I have always liked your ideas on that. I will say once you work with it as is it is easy to solo or mute, but buttons would be better for new users

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
Now I understand what you are saying. I can see some value in that. My next question is this, since the plugin does not have midi tools to move/add/delete/ change notes or cc commands, etc isn’t what you are proposing more suited for RB which already has that capability. Mac users don't have RB and most users use a DAW like Studio One that they like and doesn't crash I get what you are saying about hearing the track prior to dragging, but you can manipulate it to make changes, the real charts are created from audio, and the midi tracks from style creation. Once generated they are what they are going to be. You are generating up a midi track that could be a style, midi soloist or a super track you can't know if it's gonna fit by name sake, most realchart piano is Real from the Yamaha piano with midi out and I don't think they play the same thing all the time for the same chord. Once you find a midi track that sounds good with the tracks you already have in the DAW THEN you drag it in and do any editing if need be.

Just seems like if one wants to do a bunch of midi work this not the right tool. RB, or BiaB is more suited. But hey maybe your right on this one. We will have to wait and see. At the least the plugin getting pretty stable and the basics now work pretty darned good. I think you are looking at it from a long time BB RB user and not from a NEW DAW ONLY user adding extra tracks to session recording as this is something that happens out in the NON Biab world. You have to come from the point that you have never used Biab in your life, you need to be an outsider. If you just cater to old Biab users the Plugin will will be limited to this little niche market and old Biab users don't live forever.

As far as solo/mute buttons that I can see happening at some point. I have always liked your ideas on that. I will say once you work with it as is it is easy to solo or mute, but buttons would be better for new users You can have 26 tracks in the plugin, if you have a lot of tracks synced and playing but the guitar don't sound right and you want to solo it ??
Like I said I had to work out how to use it then explain this to countless other users, there no way I should have to do this, as it stands there would be so many other users that still don't know how to use it ! right clicking double clicking no solo honestly ! so many users got totally &^$@#^ off with it and gave up and I said that would happen in beta if it's released how it is.
There is an industry standard solo mute same as cars accelerator brake you don't have one pedal you press with the left foot for one action and the right foot for the other action.
You need to look at it not from whatever limited way you use it and say well other should just use it in this limited way also, but think about other DAW only users otherwise the BiabVst will stay limited.
Also with the BiabVst when you select All pages(Midi Only) it will do that for the first page but the other pages will all have wav files also.
If this was in the Reaper or other DAW forums you would not have 1 but 100's of users saying the same thing as me.
The post I quoted with the user not being able to work out the syncing of the Plugin was from the Reaper forum.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Thanks for the detailed explanation. That helps me see where your coming from.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,780
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
mandella, Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365
38,501 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 190