Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The more I think about preferred workflow in BIAB, the more I realize that having more tracks in mixer (tracks on demand) will solve most of problems and requests related to RT's count, regenerations, bar freeze (bar-by-bar regen) and MIDI.

Regenerations could be done by simply copying the track to another mixer track freezing original and have the new one available for regeneration. So you can hear them side by side and/or together with whole arrangement. Create new track - repeat process for variation.

With track duplicate -> freeze you can achieve a highly requested "BAR FREEZE" option. You will just: "bar option"->mute what you do not want to hear. Or unfreeze->regenerate will (hopefully) give you new regeneration for these bars.

To get even more creative, have a "track folders" to keep mixer tracks organized by instrument.

P.S. This is not a workaround request or request to send me to RB, this is BIAB request smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Rustyspoon# ,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion! We've passed this along to our developers for their consideration.

Alyssa - PG Music
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Not sure why this idea did not get any traction among BIAB users.. (kindly note, I mention BIAB, not RB)
Maybe I was not clear enough. Please see attached image.
What I proposed perhaps will take a few more clicks, but it is far more flexible than just "bar freeze". I have a feeling that just do a "bar freeze" might be complicated because of the algorithms and "tails" of a line, so at the end it plays smoothly. These artifacts and undesirable results often can be heard when trying to "change RT" at the bar. Doing it as "mute" at the bar, solves that.
Expanding mixer would also cover many other popular requests (more channels / MIDI). More channels = more variations/possibilities.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
barfreeze.jpg (133.81 KB, 125 downloads)
Last edited by Rustyspoon#; 04/24/20 01:34 PM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I did have a little difficulty following, but the image has clarified.

Yes, that would be very usable. Well thought out.

+1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I did have a little difficulty following, but the image has clarified.

Yes, that would be very usable. Well thought out.

+1

Same here on the following part. I like this idea a lot.

+1

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J

I would MUCH rather they just add a bar-by-bar regen operation. Far, far simpler to use. I appreciate your idea but it is complicated to even comprehend much less to use.

Just add a little arrow to each bar and when I click the arrow a small dropdown entitled Regen appears and it lets me click a track to regen. NOTHING else in the song changes. It is fast and simple to understand what is happening. I can instantly play and hear the change and if I like it I freeze the entire track and I'm done. If I don't like it I just try again.

As for RealTrack segments or riffs that don't fit in a single bar give me an option to ignore them or use them. If "use them" then go ahead and alter a bar before and after my selection.

Oh and make UNDO work on this to be able to step backwards if I want to.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
JohnJohnJohn

I hear you. One of my first annoyances with BIAB was that tracks are too "liquid". However I strongly feel that even if the feature of "bar freeze" arrives, it would not sound smooth. Most likely it would sound "pieced". Not because of programming, but because of what Real Tracks are - audio... I do fear that they would sound abrupt as often happens with "change RT at the bar" option. But what I described, should take care of roughness.

Your suggestion seems more user friendly., but in essence bar freeze as you describe would create new tracks in the background and automate the process for the user... but will have significantly less control of what you are actually seeing and doing versus what I described above. Developers... feel free to cut me short if I am wrong.

As per topic, I do feel that expanding / rethinking mixer is the right way to go. If it is done right, a bar freeze as you (JJJ) described can be done much easier, by automating what is already in place - Creating multiple generations in background and visually displaying it as a single track of which parts can be frozen. Similar to "track folders" where you visually see it as a single track that contains several clips and has master control (volume, fx etc.) over the whole "folder".

Expanding mixer would also solve major requests such as dedicated 16 channels of MIDI and just adding, trying out / comparing various real tracks side by side without going through export/import to DAW.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
JohnJohnJohn

I hear you. One of my first annoyances with BIAB was that tracks are too "liquid". However I strongly feel that even if the feature of "bar freeze" arrives, it would not sound smooth. Most likely it would sound "pieced". Not because of programming, but because of what Real Tracks are - audio... I do fear that they would sound abrupt as often happens with "change RT at the bar" option. But what I described, should take care of roughness.

Your suggestion seems more user friendly., but in essence bar freeze as you describe would create new tracks in the background and automate the process for the user... but will have significantly less control of what you are actually seeing and doing versus what I described above. Developers... feel free to cut me short if I am wrong.

As per topic, I do feel that expanding / rethinking mixer is the right way to go. If it is done right, a bar freeze as you (JJJ) described can be done much easier, by automating what is already in place - Creating multiple generations in background and visually displaying it as a single track of which parts can be frozen. Similar to "track folders" where you visually see it as a single track that contains several clips and has master control (volume, fx etc.) over the whole "folder".

Expanding mixer would also solve major requests such as dedicated 16 channels of MIDI and just adding, trying out / comparing various real tracks side by side without going through export/import to DAW.

I really like your idea but I worry that expanding the mixer is a complex task that they will attempt and then 3 years from now we will still be waiting for it to be finished. I guess the same risk exists for my bar-by-bar suggestion.

I have mostly changed my workflow to something like this,

- finish my song
- save a copy of my song
- in the copy replace all tracks with my solo RealTrack, generate and freeze
- export tracks from main song to WAVs
- export tracks from copy song to WAVs
- bring all tracks into DAW and comp the solo tracks until I get what I want

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Not intending to derail this thread, but reading your workflow JJJ, I agree that there needs to be a better way.

IMHO, you shouldn't need to go to an external DAW to get a Band 'IN A BOX' song to sound the way you want, and you shouldn't need to go to a DAW or have to bounce tracks to get Multi-Riff to work.
These features should all be part of the program, not requiring externalization.

I don't think this got off track, and sorry if it did.
Now, back to the program...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
JJJ, VideoTrack you are both right smile

VideoTrack outlined the core of request pretty accurately:
"These features should all be part of the program, not requiring externalization."

JJJ, this:
"save a copy of my song"
"in the copy replace all tracks with my solo RealTrack, generate and freeze"

This is 90% my workflow as well.

But thinking a bit "neutrally" on the issue, it is still boils down to number of available tracks that are needed, whether you see them (visually) as separate tracks or not. JJJ wants it automated and user friendly. And that is great (I support that too), but still we are talking about the number of available usable tracks to support these bar "freezes" or other RealTracks or Soloist tracks or Midi.

So my wish still stands. Open Mixer! How tracks are automated and how they can be hidden or un-hidden is a good candidate for another wishlist topic. Perhaps exactly how JJJ imagined:

"Just add a little arrow to each bar and when I click the arrow a small dropdown entitled Regen appears and it lets me click a track to regen. NOTHING else in the song changes."

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Would this be any good ?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Biab-Generate-Selected-Region.png (409.08 KB, 146 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
or some sort of combination with this. But I still think that it can be accomplished by adding and automating tracks to actual mixer. Kind of solves two major requests.

By making selection on the "chord grid", it could capture the RT regions that are in these tracks and automate "bar mutes" of ends of these selected regions allowing for un-muted tracks for further regeneration or freezes.

My wish priority still is: more mixer tracks -> bar freeze.
With more mixer tracks you can accomplish "bar freeze", with just "bar freeze" you can not get more usable mixer tracks...

bar-freeze.jpg (76.13 KB, 38 downloads)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195