Go To
#594332 04/26/20 05:27 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
'm bowled over by 2020 but heres some wishes.
1.have a second row of buttons under current
chord screen buttons for total 12 traks.
i just find i just need a few more rt's/traks and i
dont want to switch to rband for trivial stuff.
this would cut down the time i have to switch
tween biab and reaps.
2. i want more knock your socks off rt''s and
orchestra rt's so i dont have to buy pricey
orchestral libs. imho biab has enough
piano/geetar/organ sounds etc but i would like
more other orchestra instrument types.
i was pleasantly surprised to see harp rt's
for example. need more of this.
3.how about a version for chromebook
or rasperry pi which is under 100 buks ?
loads of pi's have been sold and i note
traction waveform and reaper offer versions
for pi.
4. on biab forums and every other recording/
songwriter forum one sees thousands of posts
where people new to daw work have trouble
setting up their interfaces. often people
dont bother reading manuals/instructions etc.
lol.
to be fair some interfaces are a learning curve.
so i suggest pg you offer a cheap no brainer
interface for newbies that sounds great ,
and is a doddle to use. this might cut down
the amount that tech support has to get
involved or long time biab users.
5. finally i would like to see a biab option
on each loaded rt thats stereo to be mono instead
of stereo.
-------------------------------------------------

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
1) +1 (24 tracks please)
2) +1 (orchestral strings, flutes too)
3) -1... do not see a point of that, You can get PC based laptop very cheap. Chromebooks will not support most of other music software and drivers.
4)Neutral on that. That could be done as a "sticky" poll and new user will see, what is most "popular" and make their own decision. Bottom line, I think Focusrite is what a lot of people prefer smile Or... PG (or friends of PG)can make couple of popular interface setup videos for BIAB.

5)Neutral on that. However I do see benefit of that as far as "processing" time. If the files you are working on in BIAB are mono, they would take less space and maybe that will contribute to faster regeneration times?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
1) This image from the BIAB Help file shows BIAB is capable of generating 70 tracks of RealTracks from a single render of a BIAB song. What is not included in this help file image is BIAB is also capable of repeating this process over and over before a final render to a stereo audio file is made, meaning the BIAB program you currently have can generate a song containing hundreds of RealTracks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Medleys Capture.JPG (92.76 KB, 81 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
5) Regardless of the media source, MIDI, live recording, pre-recorded, or RealTracks: Render any Mixer Channel track, or portion of a track to audio, import that audio back into BIAB on the Audio Channel and Mono can be converted to Stereo or Stereo to Mono.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Edit Capture.JPG (93.63 KB, 79 downloads)

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Charlie,
Isn't that for "track thickening"?
I believe OP is requesting for more "regular" mixer tracks on wish #1

So life is less complicated... smile

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Charlie,
Isn't that for "track thickening"?
I believe OP is requesting for more "regular" mixer tracks on wish #1

So life is less complicated... smile

That's how PG Music markets it. This feature was subject to 2020 version PG Music staff enhancements of the Medleys feature. Medleys have been around for years and though it's listed in the 50 new features, it's really an enhancement of an existing tool. This year they added volume automation and panning per track which is what specifically allows the thickening feature. It does a lot more than that.

I started to speak about it over on another thread you posted regarding Multi riffs, freezing and regeneration but it was off topic and inappropriate for mentioning in that discussion and the others because the focus of those threads deal with programming and not existing audio tools.

In that thread you said, "I have a feeling that just do a "bar freeze" might be complicated because of the algorithms and "tails" of a line, so at the end it plays smoothly. These artifacts and undesirable results often can be heard when trying to "change RT" at the bar. Doing it as "mute" at the bar, solves that." and "However I strongly feel that even if the feature of "bar freeze" arrives, it would not sound smooth. Most likely it would sound "pieced". Not because of programming, but because of what Real Tracks are - audio... I do fear that they would sound abrupt as often happens with "change RT at the bar" option. But what I described, should take care of roughness." You nailed it by identifying the ... audio... aspect of the issue.

Muting does not always fix that issue and often times, muting does result in abrupt endings. But programming an audio transition does correct those transitions. Notice the last sentence in the first image I posted where 'smooth transitions' is mentioned. It appears that Smooth Transitions are programmed into BIAB's core program. If you program an instrument change using two instruments on the same track, the BIAB algorithm reads ahead of the Chord Chart and 'sees' the coming change and chooses audio to play a smooth transition. Note that BIAB in this mode treats Silence as an instrument. Plan ahead and you can program a smooth transition using silence for the track to transition to. In my experience, it's never failed. What appears to be a deal breaker issue for some, it's an audio edit rather than a Chord Chart edit.

But there are additional editing features that become accessible when you begin using audio in BIAB. Understanding that RealTracks in the BIAB are not audio until the file is played and not saved audio until the file is rendered there is a marked difference to how BIAB treats RealTracks and recorded audio. This enables an artist to combine medias of different types and compile them onto a single track. You can have MIDI, MIDI Super Tracks, RealTracks and recorded audio reside on the same track. Also understand the audio features and audio files I'm addressing are handled different than the programming wishlist items that are requested in four different threads currently. Those are legitimate programming requests but those requests, multi riffs, freezing portions of a track, generating a specific portion of a track, combining different media to the same track, converting mono to stereo and stereo to mono, thickening, bar to bar regeneration are all available in BIAB now by working in a project that expands into audio editing in BIAB rather than exporting out to a normal DAW, including RealBand for some edits. BIAB creates cross fades, transitions, plays multiple instruments simultaneously or independently on a single track.

BIAB has a specific feature that bridges between how BIAB normally functions with the BIAB Mixer Channels and audio. This feature is best identified as a single project specific User Track rather than the common understanding of User Tracks which are BIAB users version of home recording RealTracks that react to Chord Chart chord changes and key signature changes the same as a RealTrack does in a song. APT's are specific to the current project, and chord progression. But they also react to Style changes, instrument changes, instrument media type changes.

PG Music calls these single project User Tracks - Artist Performance Tracks. APT's can be used with the melodies feature, bar settings, song settings and any other setting in BIAB and used within the Mixer to create dozens of instruments across dozens of tracks using dozens of Styles playing independently or simultaneous instruments throughout the song. APT's allow normal audio created by users to reside on any other BIAB Mixer Legacy Channel than just the one Audio Channel.

Although BIAB is not a digital multi track recorder, APT's allow it to function as one.
Although BIAB is not a DAW, in conjunction with the single audio track in BIAB, APT's allow BIAB to function as a DAW and access the editing menu in my image above.

Regardless of the type media residing on a Mixer Track, the track can be converted to a Performance track by Rt. Clicking on the track, Track Actions\Save track as Performance File (wav\wma). Choosing this action saves an audio track, freezes the track, renames the track and the channel color changes to orange. Sometimes it's preferable to save a track as an APT rather than just a freeze a track because an audio file is also saved in the process. Johnjohnjohn noted in a comment in the other threads that opening a BIAB project in RealBand and RealBand does not import frozen tracks. That's true, but saving a BIAB project with tracks saved as APT's rather than frozen creates a audio file that exactly matches what would be that 'frozen' track if RealBand did honor that setting and that saved APT wav/wma file can be imported into the RealBand project.

To close, in response to the OP's request, using Medley's audio feature results in expanding the seven normal Mixer Tracks to as many as 70 virtual tracks in regards to RealTracks (which he specifically asked for) although practical use would not likely ever need that amount. Activating Melody's opens a Mixer for inputting your selections. I hope I haven't overstated my case but this seemed to be the most appropriate thread to make the case... Either way, I appreciate your patience in reading this far.

I created an example audio clip that's about a minute that uses a 'frozen' section, Replaces a MIDI instrument with a guitar solo that was comped from Three RealTracks of the same instrument (similar to your image on the Multi Riff post), has three smoothed transitions where BIAB plays instrument 1's ending simultaneously with Instrument 2's beginning and also has a transition starting several notes early on a bar. There's also several bars of the guitar comp that I programmed the two guitars to play simultaneously in the middle of the solo.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 04/28/20 12:06 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
justanoldmuso, please correct me if I am wrong, I believe wish #1 is for more regular mixer channels...That act and look same way as existing channels.

Charlie, I do find your knowledge extensive and you present thoughts with great detail, but I believe most people requesting more channels, just want life simpler, not more complicated smile

P.S. I have no doubts, BIAB has enough horsepower its just some features have to be laid out nicely visually and ergonomically. It confuses many people, including me.

ab.jpg (98.66 KB, 51 downloads)
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
5. finally i would like to see a biab option
on each loaded rt thats stereo to be mono instead
of stereo.

This comes with the free plugin manager but it installs some demo plugins also https://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.html
If you don't need Mac or 32bit here is the separate Sonalksis FreeG Mono (64 bit).dll
just load it in the track you need to be mono.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I understand. I'm sure you're correct that justanoldmuso's wish #1 is for more regular mixer channels That act and look same way as existing channels do now. There are four other threads revolving around about software programming changes that require more regular mixer channels. They are legitimate requests intended to bring BIAB closer in line with how recording is done in recording environments today not decades ago. Similar to how today nearly every carpenter will purchase a circular saw over a crosscut hand saw. The world evolves. I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with you.

I agree BIAB has enough horsepower to confuse (complexity) many people but remember how confusion (complexity) and high horsepower changed rock and roll music. smile

Beatles 1.jpg (49.22 KB, 42 downloads)
Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 04/28/20 12:08 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199