Print Thread
Go To
#593443 04/21/20 01:26 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The Chicken and Cheese Song

This one is a bit different than my usual. There is a little backstory to this slightly nonsensical song.

When I was a wee lad, I would amble about the house singing, “Have you heard of the chicken and cheese” over and over and over. Of course, my parents didn’t recognize my precocious verbal dexterity and melodic acumen. smirk This little song would have been relegated to the dustbins of my mind (B. Hill allusion), but my older sister had recently requested that I record the chicken and cheese song. Unfortunately, the song has undergone genre reassignment surgery and is now suffering from genre confusion. However, the original lyric and melody are preserved in the chorus just as it was sung a half century ago.

If you are looking for art, this ain't it.

I’ve been working on this song in bits and pieces, and it contains a lot of bits and pieces. I still have some tweaking to do.

For those outside of the United States, Hamburger Helper was and is a box of dried noodles, powdered sauces, and other unknown ingredients that you mix with a liquid and ground beef. I never much cared for it---then and now.

The lyrics are on SoundCloud.

The Band
Me: Vocals, voices, some laughter, and general mayhem.

In the “dance” sections, I am playing the bass line on the keyboard that comes in at the :25 mark in the first section, and regurgitates and reverberates throughout the other dance sections. The rest of the dance section is made from loops (royalty-free, naturally).

For the “jazz” verses, I used the style Depart Dreamy Smooth Jazz:
RealBass 2960 Bass, Acoustic, SmoothBallad
RealDrums-SmoothBalladBrushes
RealPiano 910 Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothBallad
RealGuitar 367 Guitar, Electric, Background Dreamy
RealStrings 1219 Vibes, Rhythm JazzBallad

For the “country” chorus, I used the style Branson Acoustic Folk and added a cowbell. I think I need more cowbell.
RealBass 2421 Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySlapBoomChicka
RealDrums-CountryTrain
RealPiano 1610 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm
RealGuitar 2518 Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking BoomChic
RealStrings 2517 Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking BoomChi
RealDrums-CowbellEv

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bizarre, odd, strange, beautiful and wonderful all in one package! This is some of the most creative stuff I've ever heard here or anywhere Scott! I beg to differ with you on your statement "this ain't art". This is artistic to the hilt!!!! I enjoyed it and your vocal work was great too! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ezekiel's Storm,
You got me all intrigued with the story, honestly I expected something completely different.

THAT WAS AWESOME! I can only imagine how much fun you had making this. Such a cool non-kosher musical dish with other "unknown" ingredients! It is art alright! Whimsical, colorful and fun. Really cool vocal modulations. Enjoyed it!

Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well now ... was that a surprise, or what??!!! I smiled all the way through it. This gets a full A+ for creativity and imagination. This is such great entertainment. I may have to ante up for another ticket and take that ride again ... what a great listen!

BTW, I love Hamburger Helper. I make it about once a month (I do all the cooking as my wife is significantly disabled). But i add a few of my own magical touches. YUM YUM!!!!

Seriously, that was great listen ... still smiling! Wishing you the best and be safe ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Scott !

This was something extraordinary
and I cannot even begin to
figure out how difficult
this must have been to produce !

Magic, is the right word for this
magnifique tune !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, it actually sounds like you put a lot of care and craft into this. I got a kick out of it. Being a vegan, I'm not into Hamburger Helper either. But sounds like it was worth a song! Good work!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well delivered nonsensical fun. Yes, you must have enjoyed gluing that together.
Different? Yes, very grin

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
My thanks to your sis for prompting this wacky concoction out of your childhood archives; its highly polished silliness I thoroughly enjoyed. Mooo!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kidney beans? Chickens and cheese? Squash? Hamburger helper? How in God's name did you make these into one fantastic song? Lots of variation in rhythms also. Not to mention a audience!

Were in hell did the cow come from?

I really liked this one.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The extremely well written backstory was worth the price of admission!

Speaking of admission you could probably charge it for folks
to be inside your head while you were putting this together smile

Strange, different, polyrhythmic...but ultimately CREATIVE to the max.

We like Robert's words, "highly polished silliness."

In our wildest imagination we could never see putting something like
this together. My head spins after 6 tracks.

I suspect many, many listeners would add this to their definition of art.

It's an amazing display of you, BiaB and loops all melded into a heckuva production.

FUN!!!!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I can honestly say I've never heard anything quite like this before!

Man, what a ride! One of the coolest songs I've ever heard here actually.

"I can't even hear myself think", great way to end it!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
HA! Very clever, Scott. And Entertaining. And ear-worm-y...

Excellent arrangement/production and mix. Nice vocals.too!! Which is all secondary to how "artsy" this is - regardless of your comment to the contrary...

(My first year in college, I subsisted on Hamburger Helper - Lasagna flavor. Haven't had it since)

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This one is a bit different than my usual. This one is a bit different than anybody's usual.

I'm not sure words have been invented to describe just how hard I laughed hearing this (and the accompanying back story). All I can tell you, "I'm HEALED!" Thanks.

I was the same kind of kid and never really outgrew it. Happily, I seem to be passing that on.

Hilarious, but not artless. This is just fantastic.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Torrey, Misha, Al, Tunemonger, Video Track, Robert, Mario, Janice & Bud: Thank you for your encouraging and positive comments because I was a bit apprehensive about posting this song.

Dani: Thank you. I worked on this sporadically when I found the time. Doing it that way made it less overwhelming and gave me more time to create (and mess around).

Dave: Thanks. That end line goes back to my basement band days and my mom would tell us it was too loud and that she couldn't hear herself think. She likes the song, by the way.

Floyd: Thanks for the listen. Hamburger Helper - I feel your pain. laugh

Tangmo: My mom has always told me I was a smart a**. The back story and the song is just me being my smart a** self. I never outgrew that either. grin

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I must say I got a real chuckle from your song. I think this is very creative and well done. Vocals were excellent Thanks for sharing.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,505
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195