Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Styles and RealTracks Wishlist
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi PG Music,

I have not done a count up but I would guess that over 90% of all BIAB Real Tracks and Styles are Country & Western or closely related (I would be interested to know the exact figures).

Is this because 90% of all music in the world is "Country" music or is there another reason?

Please explain.

Thanks & Best Regards

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi,

I just came across this wonderful animated timeline of music genres from 1910 to 2019.

https://laughingsquid.com/most-popular-music-genres-1910-2019/

Interesting that Country music had a couple of peaks in popularity over the last 110 years - in the 1920's and the late 1940's.

Best Regards
Nigel

Nigel Spiers
Christchurch, New Zealand
info@nzacoustics.com
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We typically divide RealTracks into three broad and often overlapping groups - Jazz, Country, and Pop/Rock. In the RealTracks Picker, if I filter for "country" I get 859, if I filter for jazz I get 899, and if I filter for Pop I get 899. "western" gives me 46. Many of the instruments classified as country are not "traditional" country and could be used in various modern country / pop / rock settings.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

Apprentice
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
In the RealTracks Picker, if I filter for "country" I get 859, if I filter for jazz I get 899, and if I filter for Pop I get 899. "western" gives me 46.

To be honest, this numbers game blurs the discussion somewhat. There are no 899 different jazz styles, meaning a different feel, drive, rhythm. Most styles share the same bass or drum lines, piano or guitar chords. There are not even 30 different bass or drum styles in Jazz realtracks. adding a vibraphone doesn’t change the feel, rhythm, drive... The user has a good point, imo.

Essential is that -regardless if you’re a country or jazz or pop lover- the styles cover a lot of variety: modern country, old fashioned stuff, waltzes.... in jazz also: bebop, dixie, gypsy, today’s jazz. And if I speak for jazz, styles mostly cover jazz up to 1955. Modern jazz is not present, Unless you confuse it with fusion or smooth jazz.

So, I think there is a point made here. And the number of styles running in the hundreds....? If we made a difference between basic style (rhythm section, bass and drums) we would have more honest figures: 30 different styles with 20 variations for each, or something like that.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Country yes, but more so.. jazz. Can we please get more indie / alternative / folk and youthful, current / hip and truly popular styles?

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
It seems to me that there was a time when there were very few country styles in BIAB. A lot of Jazz, Funk and Blues and some random Latin, Country and other styles.

Veteran
Veteran
An old thread resurfaced. I think there is some unintended bias in all of us; for me, anything that isn’t jazz just takes up disk space. I’m sure tons of users feel all the jazz is taking up space. 😎

The best thing you can do to get more of what you want is to be specific. Help PG Music by giving them song names, performer names, and links to audio or video. If it’s a drum pattern and you have sheet music, send it.

I’ve done this with success for 30 years. I requested something very specific recently and got it in the next major update. Also, two years ago, I asked for support for cut-time sambas. What helped me also turned out to help the bluegrass players who had the same problem.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I will add that styles are not in stone. Some country styles can work well in a jazz song and visa-versa, at least this is true on the MIDI side of BiaB..

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Great point by Mario. He's absolutely right.

One other thought. Styles have been known to be updated and improved, for free just as a matter of course in patches.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Nigel et al,
As Andrew pointed out earlier in the thread, we generally try to equally distribute new RealTracks and other content between the three broad categories, Jazz, Country, and Pop/Rock. That's not to say there aren't other genres, but we generally group them in that. For example, bluegrass would be under the "country" umbrella, smooth jazz would be under the "jazz" umbrella, etc.

With that in mind, I was curious about how the "90%" figure was arrived at, so I did an overview of our whole collection of RealTracks. It's difficult to be precise, because there's so much crossover between different genres, but I think I got a pretty good overview. And, with "country" and "pop/rock", there are a LOT of RealTracks that really could be considered either of those, particularly rhythm/chording guitars. As such, I first determined that about 10% of the RealTracks fall into this category. And so the list below has a 10% spread for the "country" and "pop-rock" categories. So here is what I discovered when I then went through them all:

Blues: 7%
Pop/Rock: 20-30%
Folk/Americana/Bluegrass: 11%
Funk: 2%
Jazz/Latin: 24%
Metal/Hard-Rock: 1%
ModernPop/Electronic: 3%
World: 5%

So, in general this looks like a pretty well-balanced list of genres. That being said, there are certainly genres that could be better represented. There have been several posts requesting more modern "radio" pop styles, and those comments are certainly valid. And Matt made an excellent point above, that we often view these things through a filter of our own favourite kinds of music. We always pay close attention to this styles and RealTracks wishlist forum, and while we can't always fulfill everyone's request, we always make an effort to fulfill as many as we can. Certainly with this recent release a LOT of the new material we released came directly from requests from these forums.

Tobin Frank (he/him)
PG Music Inc.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Tobin.

sigh im overloaded with jazz n country n blues styles...
lets take blues...heres why i never do a blues song...even tho i get lots of ideas.
basically there is a loooong history of wonderfull blues songs....and its very very difficult to come up with a new original 'twist' as it were.
its ok for people who want to emulate a popular song with bb backing when they are playing out live..

one i like in rock is mike durham.
as to the punk and metal styles.as one who was once in various rock groups including those two styles i find the rt's too sizzly compared to what we used to do....we were more subtle...the cleaner chugging rt's are ok tho.

in summary more rock please.
also let me say...and im haveing a difficulty right now ....tthere is a paucity
of great sounding rock genre soloists..
many times after going thru soloists i dont find anything that suits the song idea.

merry x

om

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,561
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200