Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Songwriting
M
OP Offline
M
Hi, I just came across this video (keywords: Every Melody Has Been Copyrighted and they're all on this hard drive). I agree. If you write down numbers from 1 to 10,000, every combination of 5 digits is in 10,000. Maybe it is a good thing that two people with good intention did this (anyone came across this math theory could do it). If the opposite is true, basically they own every song from now on for maybe 150 years. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
It seems that great minds are thinking alike. Mike in the Off Topic also posted this a couple of days ago.

The videos are available in the below post.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=580283

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Two questions:
1) How many notes are required in order to qualify as a melody?
2) Shouldn't the producer be required to go through that database and cull out every melody currently under copyright?

If one of my melodies is on that hard drive, do I have the right to take them to court, make them remove it, and recall all units sold?

Interesting how the first thing the producers thought of after applying fabulous technology to a real world question was, "How do we exploit these findings for our own gain in power and money?"
Sounds like some Big Tech companies we have heard about. Sadly, the court will probably uphold this. The good news is, wait around a hundred years and they'll all go into public domain.

Last edited by edshaw; 02/13/20 05:16 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
The title of this thread is totally incorrect. Nobody has copyrighted anything.

Ed, did you watch the video in the other thread? They put all these potential melodies online as open source. Free to use by anybody. Biab does basically the same thing right now in the Melodist, you put in any chords you want, pick a style and it will give you a different melody every time you hit Generate. And, anybody can copyright a Biab generated melody if they want. Or, at least try.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Of course I did not watch the video, Bob. Why would I? I did click the link to Mikes thread, the one with poster stating that claim. You don't really think citing Band in a Box or some computer program would get a defendant off the hook? I know from nuthin about copyright law, but can only assume there have been cases in which melodies were used without the composer knowing they had already been taken. That programmer might put his brilliance to good use working on preventing that prospect. IMHO.

Last edited by edshaw; 02/14/20 04:11 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I watched the TedX video. Interesting. I have my doubts though that even a computer program can take into account every small nuance a human voice can use to change a melody slightly or how every way a chord or note are played. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems the choices are endless.

Last edited by jptjptjpt; 02/23/20 12:07 PM.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I was thinking about this statement. Let’s just work on one octave using only quarter notes. The answer would be something like (2 to the power of 12 -1) or 2047 sure some would be dull now if you went to 3 octaves using only quarter notes it would be 2 to the power of 36 about 68,719,476,735.

Now let’s start adding other note lengths for each note length added double the number (or more) I’m not a mathematician but that is a rough calculation on covering every possibility as I say some would be repeating the same note over and over. Others would be jumping all over the place. But the total number of possibilities is let’s just say very high.

Then add different timings. Once you have them all done register each song. Nah, I don’t think it’s very practical even though I always feel what I do write sounds like something else but that is my lack of imagination.

My thoughts and don’t hold me to the accuracy of the calculation. Just work it out with 4 or so quarter notes.

Edit: Actually my premise is a little flawed because it does not allow for how many notes in the actual melody but the numbers would most likely become even larger. For example, my calculation of the one octave at quarter notes would only be 3 bars. With 3 octaves be 36 notes or nine bars at 4/4. So really there are a lot more possible combinations if you include the number of bars as a part of the calculation.

It is not all that simple.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 02/23/20 05:43 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Songwriting
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
This is why I'm planning to copyright a new chord progression I've invented. I call it C,D,G. I also invert it to G,D,C. I don't know why anyone has not played this before, it sounds great! I'll make hundreds off of this!

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Well it seems that would be a pretty high number of copyrights. Hope they have deep pockets. First to write the check to the Library of Congress US Treasury, and second to pay the lawyers for all the copyright infringement lawsuits fixin to roll in.

I need to get my attorney started on this infringement lawsuit immediately. Maybe I can afford that tropical island and Lear Jet after all.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Well it seems that would be a pretty high number of copyrights. Hope they have deep pockets. First to write the check to the Library of Congress US Treasury, and second to pay the lawyers for all the copyright infringement lawsuits fixin to roll in.

I need to get my attorney started on this infringement lawsuit immediately. Maybe I can afford that tropical island and Lear Jet after all.
Yea, neither side should plan on any coin rolling in over this nonsense.

You're spot on about the outflow, though. At $35 per song on Form PA Published, the Copyright fees will certainly add up. If Form PA Unpublished, the days of unlimited songs per Form are long gone, too. Plenty of books around that explain the differences between Published and Unpublished rights — not gonna waste the keystrokes here.

Without going into detail, this gets into what I do in my music industry day gig. If the object was to give my colleagues a belly laugh, that goal was accomplished.

Otherwise, it seems that those behind the gimmick have forgotten that melodies incorporate rhythm, too.

If they think they'll accomplish anything other than providing amusement to the music industry, they are sadly mistaken.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Songwriting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Strange this has answered the question i was going to raise about the melodies created by biab..could i use them for writing a song with my own lyrics it looks as if I can unless someone on here says different grin

frankie allen
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195