Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
P
pmak Offline OP
OP Offline
P
So, I'm very new to BiB.
I play the accordion, and accordion music is set up as right hand - treble clef, left hand - base clef.
The lowest note on the right hand is G4.
So accordion sheet music usually appears with up to 2 lines below the treble staff and simultaneously up to 2 lines above the bass staff.
I have set the "Clefs split at" to G4.
But when I try to transcribe a G onto the Treble staff (below the second line below the Treble), there is no place there to click.
Instead, I have to click between line 4 and 5 on the Bass. The note then jumps to the treble staff.
But this means I cannot use the top space, top line, or any of the 2 additional lines above the bass staff.
G4 (through F5) in my sheet music can live on either the Treble or the base, depending which hand I want to play it with, because of redundancy of keys/buttons on the instrument.

Is there any way to for the note to be on the staff of my choosing?
Or is there any way to reset the Bass staff to be G2 to A3 instead of the standard G3 to A4?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I think I understand your question, and I've never seen it before here.

The default split point in BIAB for a grand staff is C5, which many music programs call Middle C. In cases where I want a note that BIAB doesn't permit direct entry, I enter a note somewhere (anywhere) else and drag it up or down into the correct pitch.

If this doesn't work for you, I suggest you contact PG Music Support by email to support@pgmusic.com and reference this thread.

Also, we have several here on the Forum who play accordion. Graham (user id Furry) comes to mind first. I'll send him a PM to ask him to look at your question.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry guys, I'm totally lost. I never had to do anything with the midi side of accordion as every midi accordion I've had has been already set up. I'll ask Allanah to come on and give her expert advice.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi there,

As far as I know there is no way to do what you want. You can split where you like as you already know. However, there is no way that I know of to put notes above the base cleff like you put notes below the treble clef.

Allanah

Intel i7-14700KF, ASUS Prime Z790-P DDR5, LS720, RTX 4080 Renegade 32GB,Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD, Win 11 Home, 3840x2160, Yamaha dgx-530
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, Allanah and Graham.

Pmak, write to Support. Let us know what they say.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I assume you know you can right click on any note and change the pitch. But the staff that the note appears on depends on your split and I am pretty sure you can not have a note be on the staff of your choice any other way. The only alternative is to use note based lyrics and enter a note to yourself to play on left hand.

sorry,
Allanah

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Allanah, I knew if it could be done you'd be the one that would know

Beginners Forum
P
pmak Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks to all for your quick replies.
I will pass the question on to PG Music Support as suggested by Matt.

I have made myself an 8 measure sample song that is basically a scale running from C0 to C9, to play around with the options. Playing around with the Split at option, I have confirmed that an absolute note is on one staff or the other.
But funny, how almost every piece of sheet music I have has temp lines above the bass staff AND below the treble staff.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.
Perhaps a useful feature to add ?
BiB contrasted with Accordion Sheet music

Last edited by pmak; 05/09/20 09:09 AM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
So from your attached picture of accordion music, it seems to me that you don't want to be limited by a split, wherever it is. You want to be able to put any note on either clef. OK.

+1

Just for my education, a few questions about an accordion:

What is the lowest note on a typical good accordion? Are they all the same?

And what is the highest note playable by buttons?

Should accordion music represent one staff for one hand?

Beginners Forum
P
pmak Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Right. Sheet music is typically written left hand bass, right hand treble.
I'm talking piano accordion here (I'm not familiar with the type that has buttons on the right side). The piano keys run 3 and a third octaves (24 white keys) from F to A (I just noticed I've been saying G is the bottom note, but after going over to count, I see the bottom note is F).

The left hand is 120 buttons in 20 rows and 6 columns. TMI:
2 columns of single notes and 4 columns for M, m, 7th, dim chords.
There is redundancy in the single note bass buttons, so I think the entire left side is only a single octave (but I believe the chords use higher notes, so it may actually be 2 octaves).

Are they all the same? Kid instruments are smaller, maybe 2 and half octaves on the right side, and as few as 12 buttons on the left.
But there are other arrangements with 48 buttons, 96 buttons.

And that is just piano accordions.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
OK, I think you know what to ask for. Thanks for the lesson. This might have to go to the Wishlist Forum, assuming PGF Music Support doesn't have a quick solution.

"Sheet music is typically written left hand bass, right hand treble."

- and provide the ranges for each

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,534
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200