Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Hi Among my many faults are my lack of understanding of Reverb!
I am trying to make an EDM track and it occured to me that perhaps some producers are muting tracks and only leaving the reverb in the track?Would that be correct? or would it sound just too far back ?Thanks H

Veteran
Veteran
When you work with reverb, you have the original sound, which is called Dry, and the reverb, which is called Wet. You mix those. It is possible with some reverbs to mix anywhere from 100% dry to 100% wet. I would call 100% wet highly unusual, for special effects only.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
Journeyman
When you work with Reverb and Delay in a DAW, you should not put these effects directly on the channel strip (track) - you would rather put these effects an individual AUX tracks, where you choose to send the audio from your instrument to.

The basic concept is to have an AUX track with your Reverb set to 100% wet signal, and then from your dry instrument track you decide how many Db you wish to send to your AUX track.

An example is drums. Typically you would split the each drum into an individual track. The Bass Drum you would like to keep dry or provide i very tiny twist of a gated or plate reverb 0.3 to 0.9 milliseconds. The snare or hand clap might need some more space to sit correct in the mix.

On vocals it get even more complicated, because you might use a different reverb/delay in the verse and another more spacey feeling in the chorus - just producers always say "make the chorus BIG".

If you're on Instagram I recommend you to follow "mixing_tips" - a source of very good advise.

Good luck with your EDM.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This is a helpful article which I've read multiple times and referenced before, myself: https://ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-mastering/mixing-with-reverb/

It's bit longish read, here's my summary from own mixing experience.

If something should be taken out it's the point of using sends, as that's pretty much what "kids these days" with their multicore i7-s don't get -- they slap tons of effects on every track -- because they can. You can and usually should get by with two reverbs, one short and with prominent ER for percussive and shorter elements, and a long lush one for ambiance (vocals, pads, keys, some guitar parts etc.) The neat thing is that you can use the ratio of sending to these two to control the "depth" in 3D space of some sound.

The second point is that subsonics and bass have no place in the reverb signal path.

The third point that you should take out is that you should use compression to "duck" reverb out of the way of rhythmically prominent elements such as kick, snare, bass and vocals while still being able to immerse some of them into more reverb than you typically could if you weren't using ducking.

The rest of it you'll figure out yourself through practice. smile

Of course I'm just a hobbyist so - use your own discretion, and have fun with it!

Last edited by Deryk - PG Music; 04/28/20 03:33 AM.

Cheers,
Deryk
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

The second point is that subsonics and bass have no place in the reverb signal path.

If you record the Bass Guitar (or a bass drum)directly into the DAW without any Mics, then you end up having a desert dry bass. When recording through a mic you will get some reverb or early reflection into the mic, so the sense of a room around a bass is possible - but I fully agree that it is a very delicate thing.

But I guess Reverb still suffers from being heavily abused during the 80's pop and rock music.

MacMini M1 - BIAB2021 - Logic Pro X - iZotope Music Production Suite - Scaler 2 - far too many Waves plugins and Line 6 Guitars and boards + a fantastic Yamaha THR10ll mini Amp - Avid MBOX Studio

Peters' Garage is available on all major streaming services
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Peters Garage
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

If you record the Bass Guitar (or a bass drum)directly into the DAW without any Mics, then you end up having a desert dry bass. When recording through a mic you will get some reverb or early reflection into the mic, so the sense of a room around a bass is possible - but I fully agree that it is a very delicate thing.

But I guess Reverb still suffers from being heavily abused during the 80's pop and rock music.

That is why you put a reverb on an aux bus and add just a touch of reverb on the bass.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
for the most part the RealTracks i use have their own reverb. if i have a solo vocal i use reverb as a plugin in the vocal channel strip but for more than one track i do use the aux send and return.

nicest reverb i've found so far is the Lexicon MPX-i Reverb which has a really nice vocal plate preset.

H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Thanks Matt ,Peter ,Deryk,Mario and Bob for taking the time with your tips and links.
I am going through the article Deryk and I did hear before that ducking the reverb on the vocals is a good idea ,so im going to look into that .The song is coming out well and Im finding that by processing the effects better and spending time on them it is becoming clearer, Cheers H

H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Hi One last thing please
How do I get the Realtracks I have In Realband to have no reverb.I have the 2020 and I cant see a flat dry and centre option like in BIAB ,Thanks Hugh

Veteran
Veteran
[quote=Hugh2Hi One last thing please
How do I get the Realtracks I have In Realband to have no reverb.I have the 2020 and I cant see a flat dry and centre option like in BIAB ,Thanks Hugh [/quote]

If there's reverb on them, which I'm not entirely convinced there is.... it is very little. Generally, I find that I have to add reverb to the tracks in the form of a light reverb on the master buss in my mix down.

Another thing to consider....and something I do quite often. I assume that the tracks are dry. I put reverb on the things that specifically need it. Guitars and vocals mainly. The other tracks stay dry... drums, bass, keys, etc.... In the final mix, I might drop in a Studioverb2 with a very low level verb at about 10% or so just to give a slight cohesiveness to the mix. Remember that reverb is cumulative so go easy on the knob. Also, an audible reverb on one instrument tends to give a sympathetic verb to the other things in the mix because our brain has a hard time differentiating the sounds.

I've also heard of engineers who do in fact use the reverb signal only in their mixes. I've never experimented with that so I'm not sure of the details.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
H
Hugh2 Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
H
Hi Herb,
Sorry missed your answer ,thanks for the sound advice .So Ive never put reverb on the master buss so I must try that in the way you discribed.Also what you said about the engineers using reverb out put only is what I was looking for in my original post .I wonder does anyone know if is their any tutorials anywhere .
Thanks again much appreciated Hugh

Veteran
Veteran
Put the reverb in an Aux slot in the mixer.
Feed the tracks you want to use it on to that AUX slot in the desired amount.
Set reverb effect itself to 100% wet.

That way the dry sound comes from the track, the reverb comes from the AUX slot(s) and get mixed together at the main output.

As far as a tutorial, here's one our own Mac wrote long ago, but still applies.
http://www.audiominds.com/reverb.html

The above site has many good basic tutorials on recording, mixing, etc.
Worth taking the time to read some of it if learning the craft early on.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
Expert
Just to be clear: The tracks, in this scenario get sent/assigned to 2 places. A. They get sent/assigned to the main L/R buss like they already are. That's the dry signal rharv mentioned. B. They get sent/assigned to your aux/reverb buss (aux buss with your reverb plugin on it). That aux/reverb buss now gets sent/assigned to the main L/R buss. You then blend in the reverb by adjusting the level of the aux/reverb buss. That's why the reverb plugin itself can be at 100%.
In most DAWs that I've used the send from the instrument track has an adjustable value. So, not every instrument gets the same amount of reverb. But for starters you will probably set this at unity or zero (not + or -). Most often, for me, they all go negative, below unity.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,570
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200