ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi All,

I grew up listening to the blues.
In the sixties it was John Mayall - the "Beano" album with Eric Clapton
and "Hard Road" with Peter Green. In the seventies I discovered Albert Collins
and so began my love affair with Telecasters, but that's another story.
In the eighties, JJ Cale and Robert Cray showed me that a blues didn't necessarily
have to be a 12 bar and that it could contain a mix of major and minor chords.
So here I am, back to my roots with a blues track.

The guitars, bass and vocals are down to me.
The lead sax and BV-oohs are RTs.
The horns are a mix of Forte and Edirol Orchestral.
The drums are our own samples of a sixties Premier kit with a chrome 2000 snare.
Live tracks were recorded in PowerTracks.
RTs were added in RealBand.
The whole thing was mixed and mastered in Harrison Mixbus 32C v.6

GET A JOB - BLUES
I was running out of bourbon
I was running out of time
I was running out of credit
And I could use another line
I threw a marker to the barman
I said: "Put it on the tab"
Well the barman turned around and then he looked at me
And he said: "Get a job"

I was down on my luck
I was down on my knees
I was praying the The Lord
I said: "Lord can you help me please
I owe money to the bank
I owe money to the Mob
Lord is there anything that you can do?"
And The Lord said: "Get a job".

As usual, I'm always grateful to anyone who has time to give it a listen.
Hoping you're all staying safe.

ROG.

ROG #597060 05/12/20 05:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Spot on, Rog.
Yeah, I grew up with JM & the BBs and the like before I lost the 'vibe' to play it with 'meaning'.
This is real Class and I enjoyed the wry ( or is that 'rye') humour of your vocal.
The horns are amazing for midi!!
The Tele sounds superb. Was that an amp, micced up or straight into DAW viama sim? Creamy as cream.
Cheers
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
ROG #597061 05/12/20 05:33 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, this is outstanding!!

Easily one of the best blues songs I have ever heard on this site, everything just spot on!

Love the tone on the tele, what are you playing through if you don’t mind my asking?

I smiled when I saw your list of influences, pretty much the same as mine! I have the Beano album in a frame hanging on the wall of my studio.

Great work, Rog, I’ll be listening to this one again wink

ROG #597075 05/12/20 07:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG, I loved every moment of this. I too had those influences. Great tone on the tele. I really liked the progression. The blues are alive and well on the other side of the pond! Well done, Tom

ROG #597078 05/12/20 08:00 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

Great overall sound here. Haunting drums & horns combination. Sweet guitar tone. Cool vocals.

And a fun Blues write. Got a chuckle from the last line.

I hear a Robert Cray influence (only Blues records I ever bought...)

Much enjoyed.

fj

ROG #597083 05/12/20 08:10 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow my favorite genre. Guitar and tone were absolutely awesome. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent mix and effects.
Well done Rog.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love the blues and you could easily have this one sold on Alligator records and this is better than a lot of what they sell.

Outstanding guitar tone and chops! A great vocal, super backing tracks, and a perfect mix.

I agree that this sounds like a Robert Cray song.

I have many of the same influences. I have a number of blues vinyl in my collection. Have you listened to Albert King? Taj Mahal?
Keb Mo?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
ROG #597118 05/12/20 11:56 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,
This all works so well- the humour in the lyrics, kind of deadpan vocal delivery, great bass lines and awesome guitar.
Very, very good... longer wold have been my only wish!

Robert

ROG #597209 05/13/20 12:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rog

Enjoyed that a lot, very nice.
Had a Pink Floyd like blues sound - especially the vocal.

Excellent.

Peter

ROG #597337 05/13/20 12:57 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
LOVE THIS!!! It is such a rich mix, and has that great old 70's rock sound!!!.....reminds me of Dire Straits! GREAT!!! Take car.e Greg

ROG #597350 05/13/20 01:36 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi ROG
It was the Beano album that first led me to explore Clapton's influences and started my life-long love affair with the blues. Really enjoyed this. Great work on the tele. 'Get a job' made me think of the Silhouettes' 1957 hit of the same name, which always gives me a chuckle.
Regards,
Leon

ROG #597388 05/13/20 10:49 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's blues cool.
There's a fair bit of sibilant sounds esses tch etc that the reverb is accentuating.
Is that amp buzz through out?

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Spot on, Rog.
Yeah, I grew up with JM & the BBs and the like before I lost the 'vibe' to play it with 'meaning'.
This is real Class and I enjoyed the wry ( or is that 'rye') humour of your vocal.
The horns are amazing for midi!!
The Tele sounds superb. Was that an amp, micced up or straight into DAW viama sim? Creamy as cream.
Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for looking in and pleased that you liked the track.

The Tele was recorded through a Midas preamp and then straight into PowerTracks.
The Midas preamp is great because I can push it into clipping where it starts to
gently add a bit of crunch. I set it so that it's just on the edge of clipping, which
allows me to control the degree of crunch by how hard I play. You can maybe notice how
the sound changes as a phrase gets louder.

Unusually for a Tele, this was played on the neck pickup, but this is an old instrument
from a time when the pickups weren't wound as hot, so they're that bit brighter.
The bridge pickup would have been just too aggressive for this track. The only effect that was
added was a touch of the Harrison G+ reverb.

Once again, thanks for the review.

Cheers, ROG

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wow, this is outstanding!!

Easily one of the best blues songs I have ever heard on this site, everything just spot on!

Love the tone on the tele, what are you playing through if you don’t mind my asking?

I smiled when I saw your list of influences, pretty much the same as mine! I have the Beano album in a frame hanging on the wall of my studio.

Great work, Rog, I’ll be listening to this one again wink

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the kind words - you made me blush!

About the Tele, check out my reply to Ian (above) - he asked much the same question.
I'm definitely a Fender man and the Tele is still my "go-to" guitar for most things.
It's simple and basic, but it just works so well, which is why the design has endured
through nearly seventy years I suppose.

I rarely use a lot of effects and if I'm playing live I just plug the Tele straight into
a thirty year old Peavey Backstage 50. Fabulous amp that!

Thanks again for the review.

Cheers, ROG.

ROG #597616 05/15/20 08:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, really good with those live instruments and def gave me that Smoking Gun Robert Cray feel. Excellent work!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
ROG, I loved every moment of this. I too had those influences. Great tone on the tele. I really liked the progression. The blues are alive and well on the other side of the pond! Well done, Tom

HI Tom,
Many thanks for the listen and review.
It's appears that quite a few of us were listening to the same blues artists back in the day.
Pleased you liked the track and the Tele and yes, the Blues are certainly alive on this side of the water.
Cheers,
ROG

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

Great overall sound here. Haunting drums & horns combination. Sweet guitar tone. Cool vocals.

And a fun Blues write. Got a chuckle from the last line.

I hear a Robert Cray influence (only Blues records I ever bought...)

Much enjoyed.

fj

Hi Floyd,
You know I always value your opinion and many thanks for the review this time.
Hey, good to know you get something out of Robert Cray - he has his own on take on
what constitutes The Blues, but it goes down well with me.
Hope you're staying safe in these strange times.
ROG.

ROG #597943 05/17/20 07:13 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, ROG !

Outstanding has been used as
an accolade for this absolute
superb blues and ....well what
other superlative could come
in question regarding it !

Hey ROG this is one of your
absolute best so far !

Stay safe !

Cheers
Dani

ROG #597946 05/17/20 08:16 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Great stuff.

I could cite those exact same influences!

Chris
More of my music at: https://soundcloud.com/user-663569023
ROG #598013 05/18/20 10:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Wow! Janice's first comment was that it reminded her of Mayall. It would've fit right in on his 70th Birthday Album...particularly with the horns.

Your voice, tele (great tone) and bass absolutely nailed the groove. When it comes to the blues you either have it or you don't...not much in between smile

You and the sax guy sound like you've been sitting in together for a while...really great use of that RT.

Oh yeah, the lyric is super cool.

MORE!!

J&B

User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow my favorite genre. Guitar and tone were absolutely awesome. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent mix and effects.
Well done Rog.

Hi Scott,
Many thanks for the listen and review.
Coming from a guitarist, the comments were particularly appreciated.
Cheers,
ROG.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,355
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213