Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
In a couple of recent songs I wanted more "edge" to a vocal in the chorus so use a "drive" VST in a separate track and sent some of the main vocal to it- this EQ's the vocal, (usually by lopping off some bottom end and increasing so of the top end,) as well as adding some distortion. There are also good compressors that do something a little similar - the Distressor is one. Using the send track to add just the right amount to blend with the main will allow a lot of flexibility. I did similar with a BIAB cello track recently and it REALLY gave it edge and cut through the mix.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

I enjoyed your first song on the forum.
A cool mix of toe-tapping music, backdrop to the biting commentary of your well written lyrics.
Some great folks to learn from here- Welcome!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm trying to recall the song this reminds me of..... maybe it'll come to me.

This is good first entry song into the forum.

I love me a good political song. I've written a few of my own.... this goes on quite long.... reminds me of Bob Dylan's songs..... lots of things to say. And I can agree, when I was writing some of my political songs, there was a lot of commentary left out for length, and they were still pretty long overall.

Very well done. I'd bump the EQ to brighten the vox a bit and maybe nudge a dB or two more out of the fader.... if the lyrics weren't displayed and printed.... I'd be wondering what the song was about.

Yeah... that's some nit picky stuff..... overall, like I said a good first BB song.

Way to go!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent write (puppets and clowns indeed) and production.

Nice supporting "band" choice also.

Welcome aboard and happy holidays.

Enjoyed it.

J&B

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Well done song!! Very well written and arranged. Nice vocal. You did a great job with this!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi David,

an awesome entry to the forum - thanks a lot.

Having followed that sad spectacle of the last months (mostly with my mouth wide open)I agree with what John Bercow said after his demission: The biggest mistake since the war.

I think we all (well, obviously not all...) had thought that we had come further by now. Great lyrics. Good stand. Good song.

Cheers,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This had some brilliant lyrics and a catchy sound, nicely done and so true a theme for a song can be.

Thanks

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
So sorry it's been so long since my last reply, will try and multi quote:

Originally Posted By: Jim
Great first attempt at using Biab...
In our country, we would call it a protest song...
And we had a lot of practice writing them...
I'm not really up on the politics of your country...
We've got hands full over here...
But I not really sure what our hands are full of smile

Anyway I enjoyed listening to your song.

Thanks Jim, it's now my 3rd recent 'protest' song, but I've nearly run out of things to be peed off about :-) I'm not really into the politics at all but at least you've got someone who (I believe) cares about his country and the people, for all his faults!

Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Wow! Great entry to this forum.
Very nice written song... although the lyrics make me a bit sad, because they are so true...

You did an excellent job with BiaB and I look forward to hear more songs from you.

Will

Cheers Will, I must admit it was quite a downer writing it, as they say the truth hurts!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I liked it a lot and you did everything well, so kudos. How did you get the horns to crescendo when you needed? I have a hard time with that.

Thanks TuneMonger, I think that's all down to BIAB, I ran it through several times then played around with editing it in Reaper so was more luck than judgement.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hi David, welcome to the forum. Pretty good first at it. Nice vocals and arrangement. I normally do not give advice on how to do things here but in my humble opinion the background accompaniment sounds a little muted an can benefit from cranking it up a little so we can appreciate better the horns. At least that's how thy sound in my cans.
Other than that, nice composition.

Best regards

Mike B.

Thanks Mike, I'm still finding my feet with it all, trying to get the balances and EQing etc which I think is a skill in itself and having rubbish ears (tinnitus and half deaf) doesn't help :-)

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum!

There's no doubt about it, Britain has certainly been pulled left, right, up and down over the last couple of years. It must be quite frustrating for many ordinary people.

This is a really good song. The groove appealed to me and the overall vibe that you created was very easy on the ears.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Regards,
Noel

Thanks Noel, it seems everywhere is going through similar upheavals but we the people will win!

Originally Posted By: rayc
In a couple of recent songs I wanted more "edge" to a vocal in the chorus so use a "drive" VST in a separate track and sent some of the main vocal to it- this EQ's the vocal, (usually by lopping off some bottom end and increasing so of the top end,) as well as adding some distortion. There are also good compressors that do something a little similar - the Distressor is one. Using the send track to add just the right amount to blend with the main will allow a lot of flexibility. I did similar with a BIAB cello track recently and it REALLY gave it edge and cut through the mix.

Thanks Rayc, that's a really helpful tip and hope to look into that sort of creativity as I progress.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
David,

I enjoyed your first song on the forum.
A cool mix of toe-tapping music, backdrop to the biting commentary of your well written lyrics.
Some great folks to learn from here- Welcome!

Robert

Cheers Robert, much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I'm trying to recall the song this reminds me of..... maybe it'll come to me.

This is good first entry song into the forum.

I love me a good political song. I've written a few of my own.... this goes on quite long.... reminds me of Bob Dylan's songs..... lots of things to say. And I can agree, when I was writing some of my political songs, there was a lot of commentary left out for length, and they were still pretty long overall.

Very well done. I'd bump the EQ to brighten the vox a bit and maybe nudge a dB or two more out of the fader.... if the lyrics weren't displayed and printed.... I'd be wondering what the song was about.

Yeah... that's some nit picky stuff..... overall, like I said a good first BB song.

Way to go!

Thanks Guitarhacker, yes it's hard when there's so much you want to say, I did think about trying to reduce the verses but didn't think it would work as well.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Excellent write (puppets and clowns indeed) and production.

Nice supporting "band" choice also.

Welcome aboard and happy holidays.

Enjoyed it.

J&B

Thank you - happy holidays seems so long ago now!

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Well done song!! Very well written and arranged. Nice vocal. You did a great job with this!! Take care. Greg

Cheers Greg, thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Hi David,

an awesome entry to the forum - thanks a lot.

Having followed that sad spectacle of the last months (mostly with my mouth wide open)I agree with what John Bercow said after his demission: The biggest mistake since the war.

I think we all (well, obviously not all...) had thought that we had come further by now. Great lyrics. Good stand. Good song.

Cheers,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan, much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: beatmaster
This had some brilliant lyrics and a catchy sound, nicely done and so true a theme for a song can be.

Thanks

Cheers Beatmaster, thank you.

Once again sorry for the delay in responding and thank you all so much for taking the time to listen and give such positive feedback. It really is appreciated.

I will put up a couple of the other songs that I have been working on in BIAB but in the meantime should anyone want to listen to another I wrote in a similar vein (not recorded by me) it's at: https://www.djhsongs.co.uk/osl-theressomethinggoingon

Cheers,
David

My BIAB Songs

BIAB 2021 PlusPAK, Reaper, W10
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, David !

Welcome also from me !
This is an impressive write
and it is so sad that you
probably are right with
your jeremiad ! Really, David
your first Biab tune is
very good in every aspect !
Enjoyed my listen very much !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
D
djames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, David !

Welcome also from me !
This is an impressive write
and it is so sad that you
probably are right with
your jeremiad ! Really, David
your first Biab tune is
very good in every aspect !
Enjoyed my listen very much !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks so much Dani, and "Jeremiad" - what a wonderful word! I've never heard it before but if I don't use that for an EP of my other similar songs then I shall use it as a pen name :-) Thank you!

My BIAB Songs

BIAB 2021 PlusPAK, Reaper, W10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195