Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
does anyone have experience? I would like to record audio with BIAB and video with webcam. How can I then synchronize the audio of BIAB with the video?

Win 10 Biab 2019

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
There's a ton of FREE and low-cost video solutions out there. I've been using Cyberlink PowerDirector for many years as it has the ability to sync audio from a video feed (like a web cam) with a clean audio track (like BIAB). You can then use the good audio track and mute the web cam audio for your final video.

CyberLink PowerDirector

I use Ultimate as I don't like paying monthly fees.

You can also search these forums for video editor solutions as this topic comes up often.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Not sure if anything here might assist?
Note: I have not tried these personally, so please review yourself first for suitability.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi

Well I don’t suppose you are looking for or likely to find a standard single clock source generator, on frame by frame second by second time code locked to both on the domestic market.

But as said above the error can be kept to an acceptable amount even by doing both on separate non common clock devices. Providing you take care to give yourself a good visual to sound synch start point, all la clapper board.
Or as been said by using the live camera sound as a guide.
These ad hoc wild tracks can run for quite a long time close enough.
If you do start to get creep try to edit or lengthen the video by a few frames it is much less noticeable than a glitch in the sound.
Have fun
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Well I don’t suppose you are looking for or likely to find a standard single clock source generator, on frame by frame second by second time code locked to both on the domestic market.

I, for one, was surprised at how many SMPTE timing options were available in RB.
It's video handling is lacking, but you can use various SMPTE time options including drop frame etc. to try syncing it to other sources.
It allows syncing to external SMPTE as well as Auto Sync Chase (or whatever for syncing to another clock starting point).

I haven't stressed tested it recently, but when I first found it I remember testing it with various frame rates.
Of course if things get off time, another option is to use RB to simply make a 32 second audio 31.5 seconds (or whatever) to help it line up.

Lots of ways to approach it.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
SMPTE.jpg (18.27 KB, 159 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 05/18/20 11:34 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
I think answers would require knowing what the content of the video would be.

Do you want to record yourself (or somebody else) playing along with a BIAB backing? Will the visuals of the backing (like the chord sheet) be in the video? That's one or two answers. It's unlikely you'll be able to do this in your camera in one step unless you just shoot it and use the camera sound. If it IS possible, you know more about your camera than I do. smile

Do you want to have visuals of something else you can record with your webcam...like your studio or your garden or your dog or whatever? The above answers will get you there. You'll need basic video editing software (and, of course, a way to get your video onto whatever device you're using to create the final video). You might even already have some installed on your system. Others are free. You just need a way to combine your sound source with your video source...and that happens in a video editor.

Do you want to shoot video to cut together in some artistic way...maybe cuts/transitions on certain beats or bars? Maybe added animated text? Something else like that? You'll need more advanced video editing software, most likely. Don't be daunted. It's pretty easy to learn and entry is not horribly expensive, especially if you find you like doing it and want to do more. I know of at least two of "us" that are familiar with cyberlink's editor who may be able to help with workflow, but I imagine most similarly priced editors have very similar basic editing features, even if the bells and whistles differ.

Anyway, it ALL depends on what you want the VIDEO (visuals and sound) to be about as to how you go about it. Describe it as best you can. I'm pretty sure I can give you a step-by-step and some advice to avoid pitfalls to get you there at a pretty high amateur level. I am, however, completely unfamiliar with the video capabilities of RB or various DAWs.

Last edited by Tangmo; 05/19/20 01:02 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Here's a couple of things to know before you begin to produce your video.

1. What video system does your camera use? This will relate to frame rate (frames per second or fps). It's not absolutely imperative, but if you do every step of the process to the same video system and (thus) the same frame-rate, the project will go smoother start to finish. Do you use the PAL system in Italy? Is that what your webcam shoots? Use that start to finish.

2. No matter which system, digital playback on devices (including streaming) happens seamlessly. Creating a DVD playable on one system with a video created on another may be possible, but it takes longer and the end results (visual and audio) are worse.

It's easier than we are making it sound. Have fun.

Last edited by Tangmo; 05/19/20 12:39 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Beginners Forum
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Hi Tangmo,
I would like to do this:
I open a Biab song and click on Record Audio. I play my digital piano over this Biab backing track.
While I play, the webcam take my hands on the keyboard, the chords, the improvisation. At end I save the audio file recorded by Biab and I move this into a performance track.
I then convert the entire Biab song whith my piano track into a wav or mp3 file.
I also save the webcam video file into a mp4 file.
My problem is to get a new video + audio file in which the audio is synchronized with the movements of my hands on the keyboard.
I would like to publish this video on youtube as one of the many piano video tutorials.

I have a normal webcam Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
Biab 2019 - Win10

I plug my piano into a audio card behringer umc204hd

Last edited by cubalibre; 05/19/20 12:29 PM.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the info. The Cyberlink info that Tangmo and I posted about would be able to do this as mentioned above. You would load the camera video and the final BIAB audio track into Cyberlink. Then you would do an "Audio Sync". What this does is shift the audio track left and right until it matches the audio of the camera. Once they are aligned automatically, you would mute the camera audio and your good BIAB song would be the main audio. You would then produce the video to a final .MP4 video file.

Go to 2:10 in the video to see the process.....

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
OK. As simple as this sounds, it may be a bit of a challenge.

Question: Does your piano play the sound of your playing in such a way that the camera can record it? This would be ideal. Or can you only monitor with headphones? This may still be doable, but not ideal.

Assuming the camera can pick up the sound of your piano and BIAB, I'd suggest using the two bar drum count-in (or creating your own at as high a volume as possible).

1. Start recording video.

2. Start the BIAB backing.

3. Get the take you want. Repeat as often as necessary. smile

5. Stop recording video and save.

6. Move to Video Editor.

7. Load your video, the mix, (and possibly) your performance track. I'd use the .wav files as the audio will normally be compressed when rendering the video. You should move the audio right on the timeline to give space for the extra video footage at the beginning. They will be on two separate tracks.

There usually is no "snap to grid' feature in a video editor...a good thing imo, in this case. (They will snap to each other). Using the sound from the camera (which will contain the sound of the count-in and the sound of your play) slide the video at increasing high magnification until the count-in on the video sound and the count-in on the mix are in synch.

This much should get you very, very close to completely in synch. And I think you can verify it with the sound from camera playing against the sound from the Mix. I can't see any tiny variation being a detriment to what you are wanting to do.

8. Trim both video and audio where you want them to begin at the same point, and move them both LEFT to the beginning. Trim the endings as you see fit.

9. Mute the sound on the video and set levels for the mix

10. Render complete video.

Now then. Assuming your piano makes no sound the camera can pick up and you must monitor BIAB on headphones:

Find something that can make a sharp, short sound--like two drumsticks striking each other. Clack on one or more beats of the count-in. Then synch your CLACK on the video soundtrack to the corresponding beat on the count-in in the mix. Downsides--you'll have to be pretty much dead on, and you'll have to remember what beats correspond. smile

You can then synch that CLACK in the video sound in the same way I outlined above, sliding tracks at ever-increasing magnification. Clean it up, and render.

Again, this is going to get you very, very close. I don't believe a viewer will be able to discern any tiny out-of-sync unless your CLACK is too far off. So mind your CLACK. wink

One way that might provide some additional verification would be to render the BIAB song as a video. Maybe that extra little bit of eye-ear coordination might be useful.

Anyway. That's the way I'd do what you want to do. I don't think the pros would object too loudly. They would just be glad they have better ways and higher budgets.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Steve has a more current version than I had even before I lost it. If it works as advertised, it would replace several of my steps in the first outline. Still, nothing wrong with a good "manual" verification.

It won't do anything if there is no audio on the video, so my second scenario solution is the best I can come up with.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Assuming the camera can pick up the sound of your piano and BIAB.....

Thanks Tangmo, great details! My last reply was based on this assumption.

Steve

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
I've been using Presonus Stereo One Professional to do this. (I just bought Cyberlink's PowerDirector a few days ago and haven't had a chance to try it.)

Ashokan Farewell

Basically, here is how I did it.

I used my iPhone for the video. BUT, at the same time I recorded with BIAB. Though I have a pickup, the guitar was miked. Hence the headphones.

Saved Ashokan Farewell.

Opened Stereo One.
Used VST3 to bring in Ashokan Farewell.
Imported the video.

Then I stripped off and deleted the audio from the video. Next step was to offset the BIAB version of Ashokan Farewell until audio and video lined up. Exported the audio and video together.

Very time consuming but I am happy with the results.

Please note, this was my first attempt doing this. Since then I have silenced the count in.

...Deb

Last edited by DSM; 05/20/20 12:18 AM.
Beginners Forum
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
Hi Tangmo,

I'm experimenting with method 1. Stay tuned.
I will refer :-)

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Good luck. Have fun. I'll be watching this thread.

Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
There a a bunch of screen capture systems out there. Basically, run the sound and dub the audio-visual with webcam and mike. I doubt you can do better than this open source product. Learning curve is a little daunting until you get the hang of it. The upside is that once you master it, you wind up with streaming ability and the capacity to record the streams.

https://obsproject.com/

https://obsproject.com/wiki/OBS-Studio-Quickstart

Last edited by edshaw; 05/22/20 04:12 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Beginners Forum
C
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
C
I tried Tangmo solution 1 to synchronize audio and video.
I had to bring out the PC audio and the piano as well as in the headphones also on the speakers during the recording.
Also on the speakers so that audio (backing + leave piano) could be recorded through the microphone of the Web Cam.
It would have been much simpler to record the audio output of the PC directly through the Stereo Mix device which I do not have and cannot make appear in Win 10 recording devices
My mobo has an integrated sound card and is a bit old and there are no more updated drivers for Win 10.
I'm thinking of buying a SoundBlaster and putting it in a free slot on my PC: Anyway, by bringing the audio on the external speakers I managed to achieve the aim.
I also exalted Biab's count-in by beating in sync with it with a spoon on a pot :-)

Thank you all.

Last edited by cubalibre; 05/23/20 05:23 AM.
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
I'm very glad you achieved the aim. I'm smiling at the spoon and pots, though. No doubt you learned a lot in the process and that's what can be carried forward. I really want to see this when it's ready to be seen.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: edshaw
There a a bunch of screen capture systems out there. Basically, run the sound and dub the audio-visual with webcam and mike. I doubt you can do better than this open source product. Learning curve is a little daunting until you get the hang of it. The upside is that once you master it, you wind up with streaming ability and the capacity to record the streams.

https://obsproject.com/

https://obsproject.com/wiki/OBS-Studio-Quickstart

To add to Ed's suggestion, YouTube has a bunch of videos on settings up, learning and using OBS Project. Check it out +++ HERE +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
That's a good link, Jim. With respect to tutorials, the Open Source has not been known for providing video tutorials. It is a smaller market. Some might say a tight little group of technically proficient users, often Linux owners. You really had to look for good instruction videos. This OBS just might be a sign that things are changing, there.

Last edited by edshaw; 05/27/20 05:59 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,629
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193