Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box VST and Pro Tools/AAX DAW Plugin (Windows)
R
Reskent Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hey BIOB fam !

I think I posted this in the wrong section haha

But I really love the new plugin feature recently added in the new versions of BIAB. One feature that I feel would be awesome in the VST version as well would be the "Import Chords from MIDI" and "Import Chords from MIDI Clipboard" etc. that the standalone program allows you to do. Having to jump between the standalone and DAW to incorporate this feature is a little tedious.

Regardless, I appreciate all of your guys hard-work.

A
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
A
Thank you for the feedback Reskent! This feature is actually already on our to-do list but it has been backlogged while we work on higher priority items. Check back in the release notes for updates.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
So for ToDoList 478 would you just open the dialog Interpret Chords from Midi file in BBW4 and send the chords back to the Plugin ? Maybe have a drop import spot on the plugin.
Then to create midi chord export from the Plugin (ToDoList 479) set BBW4 to Output Chords and save in midi file then save midi file from BBW4 to SavedTracks folder and have a drag export icon in the Plugin, though BBW4 don't have save chord names to midi markers yet (ToDoList 987).
I think ACW was ToDoList 520 smile

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-Midi-Chords.png (21.02 KB, 345 downloads)
BB-Chord-Output2.png (15.38 KB, 345 downloads)
R
Reskent Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Also !

Do you guys plan to implement the "Audio Chord Wizard" into the VST as well ? because if so
that would be a game changer.

Be able to grab chords via audio or midi in the VST version would be super convenient as going back and fourth between the the standalone and DAW would be minimal.

R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
A workaround would be to use the ACW in BiaB and save the results as a .sgu file then just open in in the plugin inside the DAW. It is only one more step, and actually not really because it is a excellent practice to save file frequently to avoid loss. So process the audio till your happy even add styles and such in the main BiaB program where all the tools are, save and open that file in the DAW plugin.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Stumbled upon this thread today as I was moving midi files (chord progressions) back and forth between Reaper, Scaler, BIAB and EZKeys. This has become a recent workflow change for me as I explore different and new ways to compose my music.

I find I can drop and drag midi content between Reaper, Scaler and EZKeys. It is just wonderfully easy to do. 16 bar chord progessions made in any of these apps, edited and or played in any of the other ones. It is a joy and has opened up new thoughts for my music making.

So why is BIAB excluded from this fun. First of all, the BIAB-VST, forget about it. Ya, you can drag midi out of it, but not straight chord progressions only performance midi tracks. There are work arounds, but not worth the bother. Best to go back to the standalone BIAB where you can "output chords". But if you have done this you know the problem with it. You want only the chords track, but you get six other tracks which have to be deleted to clean up the file.

OK, back to this thread. It appears the OP and Pipeline are asking the same question, why doesn't BIAB do this better? The answer appears to be, "we are working on it". Yiieps. Oh how the mighty have fallen. cry

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Unfortunately, it takes work on both the DAW side and BaiB to create a standard for chord exchange.
The DAWs implementation is unique per DAW and doesn’t universally support a MIDI export of chords.

The BiaB plugin does not either. If they did offer a MIDI export it would only solve half of the problem.

Celemony and Presonus developed a standard in ARA2 for chord interchange but that is forthcoming.

Studio One (latest version), Win 11 23H2 , i9 -10940X 3.3 GHz, 32GB Mem, a 4K 40" monitor, PreSonus Studio Live III Console as interface/controller. secondarily test on Reaper, Cakewalk, and S1 on Surface Pro 3 Win 10 (latest versions).
R
Reskent Offline OP
OP Offline
R
This has been my workaround for a few months now but it just gets a little tedious when wanting to just explore a multitude of different saved MIDI progressions. I'm usually not committed to the first progression I import so when I want to try a different MIDI file that I have saved, I have to repeat these steps all over again.

Open BIAB -> Import Midi -> Save to SGU -> Open DAW -> Open BIAB VST -> Import SGU

It be a lot easier to just "import a midi file" into the VST

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
+1 yes that could be all done with bbw4 in the background as mentioned above.

R
Reskent Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Just going to bump this post. Figured i'm going to do this once a month now because this feature has been backlogged for a while now. Thanks Pipeline though ! I've defiantly seen your contributions and advocacy for a bunch of ideas and proposed features that might need implementation in future updates. Also thanks for helping everyone (including me) on any assistance with issues we may have with BIAB.

Veteran
Veteran
This is an important feature for my workflow also. I use "importing chords from BIAB midi sequences" to drive several of the VSTi instruments in my DAW. May have to take this to the wish list and put it in line.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
You'll have my vote Dan!

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
The problem as Jeff mentioned above, is there is not a universal chord protocol that works with all the different types of DAWs. So adding features like this to the plugin does not solve the issue. The current path would be to work out the sound we want in either the plugin or BiaB and when we get it to taste then move it to the DAW. Some DAWs will read the chords from audio as well.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: Reskent
...Having to jump between the standalone and DAW to incorporate this feature is a little tedious...

If you are doing it already with Biab main app then the BiabPlugin bbw4 will be able to do the same thing for you.
You can use the BB Chord Output midi file to get chords into other applications like Reaper, Cubase, RapidComposer, EZKeys, EZBass and it seems to work fine except for a few 7,9 chords that BB puts out the same.
The BB import chords from midi works good so as said the Plugin bbw4 will do the same job.
BB still needs to output/input chord names to/from midi markers.
These can then be imported into Reaper, Studio One etc.. though I did make 2 scripts to import the chords from BiabPlugin to Reaper % Studio One.

R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
I have used the script for studio one before it does work fairly well. What I mean by no protocol is that it does not always come up with the same answers coming and going as the DAW chord reader does at times they don’t match so it takes a little adjustments. Still useable.

R
Reskent Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
The BB import chords from midi works good so as said the Plugin bbw4 will do the same job.

Thanks for replying ! Yeah this has been a method i've been implementing it's just the steps involved are a little excessive especially when you have over 1,000s of saved midi progressions that you want to cycle between. I'm on FL Studio btw so the switch between BBW4 plugin and FL is very janky sometimes. However, the ease, integration and synchronization of the BIAB DAW Plugin in FL is a little more convenient. Entering the chords into the VST is great but it would be kind of nice to be able to just load .MIDI progressions rather than going through the steps to bring them into BIAB and convert them to SGU format especially, like mentioned before, when you have over 1,000's of midi progressions you want to just cycle through. Which I believe really comes back down to work flow and inspiration.

Last edited by Reskent; 05/25/20 06:22 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
The new Melodyne 5 has a chord track and midi chord track export.
To get the chord track from Melodyne 5 into Reaper
Export > Format > Lead Sheet(.mid)
ReaTrak chords from midi item.lua

To get chords into Biab File > Import > Import Chords from MIDI file.

R
Reskent Offline OP
OP Offline
R
New update has been released for the BIAB plugin and looks like there is still no "Import Chords from MIDI" feature frown Hoooowever, the recent changes to the plugin are a MAJOR update and I am grateful with all the new features. The plugin is really looking promising and can only see it getting better from here on. Thanks for all your hard work.
Originally Posted By: Adar - PG Music
Thank you for the feedback Reskent! This feature is actually already on our to-do list but it has been backlogged while we work on higher priority items. Check back in the release notes for updates.

Last edited by Reskent; 06/27/20 05:46 AM.
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
I hope ARA2 can be added next year that would give better transfer between plugin and DAW. To me that would add exactly what you are asking for. ARA as you well know is why melodyne works directly with the DAW where it formerly took a file transfer.

R
Reskent Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Ah man lol it's officially been a year since this feature was addressed.... please for the love of GOD can we please have a midi import feature into the VST version pleasssssseee haha
Originally Posted By: Adar - PG Music

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Blake - PG Music 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195