Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#598777 05/24/20 05:09 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
The BIAB technique for step-entering melody sucks. I with fat prefer to define method in Finale, but it never seems to import correctly. Does anyone have a good workflow for importing midi file melody to be worked with in BIAB and/or Real Band? I find that lead measures and such really screw things up.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Veteran
Veteran
If you would like to be part of the solution, you could provide specific examples.

The two-bars BIAB adds are for the default count-in. I’ve never found it difficult to remove the first two bars when importing a BIAB MIDI file into notation software. I often leave then if I’m going to be doing additional tracks in a DAW.

Everyone has preferences for workflow. I step-enter melodies in BIAB Because I think it’s the best method out of dozens of music programs I use. Then I take it into one notation program for editing, then Into another for finished sounds or video. I have yet to find one tool that is best at all functions, so I use about eight on any given song.

Give us more examples. We can either help you overcome them, or we can make reports to the developers.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I use BIAB's notation mode in just about every song I write. I love it's workflow. I also have never had any problem with pickup notes.

There's a video clip on Entering Notation under the "Beginners" section at the below link. There are also a couple of clips in the Archive section.

https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

These short clips would be worth watching because notation entry has not changed all that much over the years.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Oh, man. I thought that the step-entry method was just another annoyance that BIAB hasn't gotten around to fixing yet. I feel like singing the notes at the computer screen would yield better results. Clicking lines and spaces with the mouse is hugely imprecise, then the software balks if I'm not clicking quite in the right place, etc. I'd rip my hair out if I did all my notation stuff with this method. At least with Finale, I can use the arrow keys and/or a MIDI keyboard to specify pitches.

I haven't tried to import a MIDI file into BIAB in a while, but I remember it dropping the melody into the two-bar lead-in, so I'd want to move the whole melody two bars ahead, something like that. Would I need to leave a MIDI file with two bars empty to handle this?

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks. It's hard to know where to begin here.

I think using the mouse for note entry is extremely precise. Yes, it hasn't changed in decades and I hope they never change it. I've made a ton of money doing arrangements, compositions, and transcriptions using this note entry system and I think it's the best in the industry. But as this thread demonstrates, workflow for note entry is very much a personal preference.

One trick you alluded to is to key in the notes without regard to the pitch, and drag them up or down later. You can even do this with your computer keyboard, skipping the mouse for the initial rhythm entry. Very handy.

For the two-bar intro question, I would need to know what software you use.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Oh, man. That video is painful to watch. I could have done a 2-page tune in the time that he entered 4 measures. With a MIDI keyboard and using the numeric keypad, I can go three times as fast as that in Finale. Trying to get the mouse to select the line vs. space, being off by a couple of pixels, fixing double-notes acccidentally entered, etc. I've never understood why BIAB wouldn't utilize a more keyboard-friendly or MIDI keyboard version of Note Entry.

I'd much rather eneter the notes in Finale, save as a .mid file and import into BIAB, but I haven't found an easy way to do that, either.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Veteran
Veteran
When you import MIDI into BIAB on the melody line, there is a setting to compensate for the two bar count in,so it starts right on beat one of the first bar.

I use Noteworthy Composer as my notation program, export from NWC to MIDI, then import in to either the melody or soloist track (note based lyrics come in as well). Once been using that workflow probably for 20 years now.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I can't imagine dragging each note in a multi-page arrangement with a mouse. I guess I'm more of keyboard shortcuts guy. Takes forever to drag [*****] around with a mouse. Overshooting the line or space. How would that work with the keyboard?

Here's a simple example of the MIDI import. Simple, simple melody made into a MIDI file in Finale. BIAB: File-->Import-->Import Melody From MIDI File. Resulte is that the melody starts two measures before chords come in, and the first measure is off the screen in Notation mode, so I can't even fix it.

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
So, when I import the MIDI file, I have to set "# blank bars at beginning" to 2 always? Isn't something that could be set as default?

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
How do you step-enter melodies and then take them in to another notation program for editing? And then into another?

Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Haswell 22nm Technology
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,529
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200