Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
According to this video there are copyright law changes coming that will affect the YouTube video loophole thousands of people use to post cover songs.

The video is a bit long but it indicates that the changes to the law will have far reaching ramifications for musicians who have been using the YouTube loophole to get around the copyright laws.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb

Thanks so much for posting this so useful!

It seems that they cover two main points in this video. The first one is that it looks like they may scrap the safe harbor that Youtube uses to algorithmically suggests content on Youtube (rather than storing the stuff on their site), which is still good news for me.

The second section seems to deal with the situation where people just reupload the same videos after a takedown notice has removed it. I think they are saying that essentially Youtube knows this is the same video and should not allow this.

This stuff drives me nuts! Looking forward to the rest of the videos in this series!

Does anybody know a good lawyer who will be able to help me with this (without charging an arm and a leg). I cannot get ANY response from the record companies or publishers or CAPASSO.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, your title is misleading, there's nothing coming yet. This is certainly interesting but right now it's nothing more than opinion. Or are you saying there is real movement on this in Congress?

Various agencies, prestigious organizations and other parts of the government issue recommendations like this all the time and Congress completely ignores them.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Thanks for putting that up, Herb. Lengthy, yes, but I don't know how he
could have made it any shorter. Interesting that one of the disputes now centers around the algorithms, the "recommendations." Also, a good object lesson in how a relatively simple matter can become hopelessly complicated just by bringing the lawyers, in this case, a Congress full of them, into the mix.
I can't help think that YT brought some of this on itself with publicity caused by its shadow banning, deplatforming, flagrant and subtle censorship, manipulating the view counts, and other things that cause users to question the intent of the algorithms. I mean, we have rules here and people follow them.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
There is absolutely traction on the Hill to adjust the DMCA. There were a number of music related issues in committees when COVID hit - obviously all on hold now. I haven't watched the video in the OP, but YouTube videos are in fact on the radar as something that needs to be addressed.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
This whole matter seems simple to me. You don’t broadcast what others have written, without their permission and terms. That’s the way things have always been. YouTube allowing covers is no different than bars not paying royalties to songwriters and their organizations.

I realize there are people here making a living doing cover songs in some way. Isn’t that the perspective you have? Songwriters should be given their due when something is broadcast that they wrote?

Technology always forces us to adapt in our careers no matter what the profession is.

As an engineer I have had to adapt and become an expert on things as mundane as Microsoft Word, to complicated multivariate statistical models, to the very fine details of analog to digital signal processing to ejection seat trajectory predictions and tracking to 3D Modeling to questionnaire design and subjective data collection to well a hundred other things. I wasn’t trained in any of these in my hair-loss causing engineering schoolwork. In fact I voluntarily went back to get a multidisciplinary master of science in engineering degree from Purdue University, while I was married and had toddlers in the house - just to keep up with changes.

Most of the good engineers in the industries I have worked in have followed similar paths.

It’s just part of life. The problem is the entertainment industry is very slow to change and people that depend on it for income, particularly those that are self employed, have little protection and means to rapidly adapt.

Some of you have been/are adept at it with replacing the bulk of a band with BIAB and midi and what not. But as has been pointed out, the live music scene is sadly decimated.

So try to get some revenue from YouTube. There has been a little loophole in YouTube for a bit, but there is really no justification for it remaining in place. License to use copyrighted material is just part of The fairness of the scene, is it not?

Who knows what’s next?

There will be some that will guess correctly and they will get rich in some way, some will follow that and make what passes for a living, and some will try to force the old way of continuing and they will get left behind.

This is the way of the world. If it was not, none of you would be able to read these thoughts and opinions.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 05/25/20 07:39 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, if that's the case Roger you should definitely watch this vid. It's done by a copyright lawyer and he reads it aloud while also showing the text on the screen. He'll stop in certain spots to make comments. Pretty detailed and since it is from the Copyright office it should have some weight on the Hill.

Ok, here's thought(dangerous, I know). There's no doubt the rights holders have total control over this and should be protected. Google, Apple, Amazon and anybody else who want's to join that coalition could, by using their vast resources track down and contact every rights holder for every song ever copywritten, published, recorded and whatever else they did with it and ask them for permission to host their material by offering them a deal. It doesn't have to be an exclusive deal, just offering basically what they're doing now. Monetization of a vid using their material based on advertising revunue. Many times there's multiple people and entities involved and if they don't all agree then too bad, no deal and no posts allowed.

Some will say absolutely not and don't talk to me again but I think the majority will say OK with monetization. Anything this coalition doesn't get permission for is totally banned across all free platforms be it Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, all ISP's everybody. That's it, done.

Part of what this Copyright Office recommendation is saying is no more hiding behind "I'm just hosting content, I am not responsible for what users do with it". If that passes then it would be the legal underpinning for my suggestion.

This would be a huge undertaking but the biggest entities in the world have the resources for it if they wanted to do it. It would barely be a blip on their collective balance sheets. Pick a number as to how much this would cost. A billion, ten billion? That's nothing to a coalition like that. If this was announced it would go through the music, movie and general entertainment industry all over the world and people could contact them with a yes or no as well as them being searched out.

The big names, Sony, Universal, Warner etc would go quickly, maybe yes to some of their catalog, others no. More obscure individual owners would take some time but how many times have we all said these huge companies already know all about us? Most could be easily contacted with that question I think.

Again, the owners control this, if they say no that's it. But at least the answer is public, they could have a search function people could use to find out what they can post and what they can't and everybody knows where they stand. No arguments and all these threads about can I post a cover on YT would cease to exist. Yeah, right.

Does this sound like herding cats? Hahahahaha.....

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob. I like what you say here but I doubt it will ever happen.

“Again, the owners control this, if they say no that's it. But at least the answer is public, they could have a search function people could use to find out what they can post and what they can't and everybody knows where they stand. No arguments and all these threads about can I post a cover on YT would cease to exist. Yeah, right”

If the rights owners would just agree to share then everyone would win. But the music business being what the music business has always been that is not likely to happen in my life time.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
This all seems so simple.

If you are an artist, don't use the work of others without their permission/license.

If you are a content provider, don't allow people to illicitly profit off the work of others without said permission/license.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
This all seems so simple.

If you are an artist, don't use the work of others without their permission/license..

What would be nice is if they bothered to reply when you ask. Common decency..

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Probably the most significant part of the problem is that so many copyrights are controlled by very very large corporations. Unfortunately, the larger the company, the less responsive they are to what they deem to be "small" requests.

Example of this that I'm dealing with currently: I co-wrote a song about 25 years ago that was recorded by a country artist named Trace Adkins. My co-writer and I discovered over the last week that a regional bank chain in TX is using the song on their radio advertisements, but they've never obtained a license to do so....they're playing dumb, saying they "didn't realize they needed one". Sure, right, okay. Both myself and my co-writer were signed with Warner/Chappell at the time we wrote the song, so they own the publishing. I reached out to WC, hoping to put the two parties in touch so that the proper license could be completed and I could get paid.

WC effectively told me that it wasn't enough money for them to bother with. The exact same thing has happened to me on more than a few occasions.

I completely agree with Joanne that it should be easier to get licensing done. That's one of the tasks of the new MLC which was created as a part of the Music Modernization Act. Unfortunately it won't be up and running until the first of the year, and I suspect there will be a lot of bugs, glitches and errors early on because of how rushed the entire thing has been.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195