Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#598723 05/23/20 04:06 PM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Is there any way to get the band to ebb and flow with some dynamics? Especially with Real Tracks, it may be best to be able to set the band to go from mezzo piano to mezzo forte when a solo reaches it's apex. It's what really make a band groove.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Funkifized #598770 05/24/20 03:58 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I bring BiaB tracks into my DAW and use volume automation on each track. If you don't have a favorite DAW you can use RealBand as you already have it.

Also in your DAW you can use tempo automation to slightly increase the tempo during the lead.

I do not do these types of things in BiaB as I think a DAW is better equipped to handle them. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Funkifized #598810 05/24/20 07:33 AM
Veteran
Veteran
In Band-in-a-Box you can use the F5 settings to change tempo or instrument volume on any bar of a song.

In the screen shot below the top highlight is around the tempo choices while the bottom highlight is around the "change all instruments volume" selection. Changes takes effect at the beginning of the bar and remain until a new change is entered at a new bar.

You can (A) enter a new beats per minute (bpm) number into the top tempo selection or (B) change the tempo by a percentage ranging from -90 to 100. A setting of 100 percent doubles the original tempo, 0 returns to the original tempo while -50 slows the original tempo by half.

All instruments "change by" opens a text box where you can raise or lower the volume level of all instruments. The text box accepts entries between -127 to 127 with 0 equal to normal. Alternatively, apply volume changes to individual instruments.

I frequently use a change tempo setting to improve the ebb and flow of a song. A change of just a few bpm in a verse can add a very human feel while the percentage change is great for adding dramatic pauses at the end of a verse or chorus.

Subtle volume changes in instrument tracks can highlight each track during different parts of a song. Let the Soloist shine when it's their turn but when you raise the volume on one track lower the volume on the other tracks so the overall volume level doesn't change.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (78.91 KB, 64 downloads)
F5 Settings Dialog Top highlight is tempo. Bottom highlight is volume.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Funkifized #598815 05/24/20 08:57 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Great answers.

Two small additions:

1) Those who have the Mac version of BIAB do not have RealBand. They could use GarageBand, or a DAW.

2) When I use the adjustments Jim describes, I sometimes forget to set the original volume and/or tempo on the first bar that is repeated. Otherwise, you can get a runaway train...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Funkifized #598934 05/25/20 03:07 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
If you use a DAW (Real Band or other) you may find Mario’s suggestion useful.

Jim Fogle provided a great explanation of how to manipulate the F5 key feature in biab. That’s how to get it done. I’ve just found it clunky when I change my mind.

biab will mark the bar you made changes (volume, tempo, etc)
its difficult if not impossible to know from inspection at chord chart level exactly what is going on at that particular red underlined bar. I hope this makes sense.

Automation within a DAW allows not only a good place to compartmentalize all these changes, but often allows quick visual inspection of the work performed on the instrument in question.

Now all my arrangements in BIAB are imported into my DAW with every instrument playing every bar flat with no volume/pan/mute/eq or reverb changes. It may sound like cacophony when you hear it in biab, but with a little eq, pan, and volume automation it comes right into focus. It’s easy to change your mind at this stage.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Funkifized #598959 05/25/20 04:56 AM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
When you import into DAW, how do you specify that all dynamics and tempos are flat? Would this week well wth Real Band, or should I really be pulling the trigger on the Reaper purchase?

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2024 (1109)
64 bit application
RealBand 2024 (1)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7 4800MQ @ 2.70GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Funkifized #598970 05/25/20 05:29 AM
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
One point to make about tempo. If you are using RealTracks, I would think you would need to make all tempo adjustments in BiaB (or Realband perhaps if it can manipulate the realtracks). When I have my song finished and export the tracks into my DAW, Cakewalk, I load (not import) one of the MIDI tracks initially into Cakewalk even if I'm not using MIDI in the final product. That gives me the tempo map that I need for all the tracks - MIDI and Real - to line up.

Chuck Wiggins

BIAB 2023 Win UltraPak, Cakewalk, Windows 10 Pro
Custom AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, Focusrite Scarlett 4x4 interface

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chuckwigginsmusic
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1cGfP_abwQWwhX6TRcYsg
Funkifized #598971 05/25/20 05:32 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes this will work well in RealBand.

If you want flat dynamics and tempos do not change them in BiaB. Just take what you have in BiaB and open the BiaB file in RealBand. I do my work in Studio One Pro but the process is similar. I don't use Realband that much but there are experts here that are will to help.

For tempos you open the tempo track. This is an independent track the controls the tempo of all other tracks. One reason I use a DAW is that you can change the tempo within a measure. In BiaB you can set the tempo but only at the measure level. So you change the tempo a the beginning of a bar and it can't be changed until the next bar. In a DAW you can have an even increase within a measure, say at the start of the measure the tempo is 100 and at the end of the measure it could be 103 so you can get a more smooth tempo transmission up or down or many measures.

Dynamics is also easier in a DAW IMHO. You can raise and lower each track as you see fit via a volume automation. For instance a string track and be low in volume for a verse, louder during the chorus, then lower again at the next verse.

In both cases you will see a tempo line and a volume line throughout your song, thus it is very easy to see the changes that you have made. You make these changes using nodes on these lines. You can have as many nodes as you like thus you can have many changes throughout the songs.

I do most all of my work in Studio One Pro as I find it much easier than working in BiaB. YMMV.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
cwiggins999 #598973 05/25/20 05:35 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cwiggins999
One point to make about tempo. If you are using RealTracks, I would think you would need to make all tempo adjustments in BiaB (or Realband perhaps if it can manipulate the realtracks). When I have my song finished and export the tracks into my DAW, Cakewalk, I load (not import) one of the MIDI tracks initially into Cakewalk even if I'm not using MIDI in the final product. That gives me the tempo map that I need for all the tracks - MIDI and Real - to line up.

Good point for some DAWs. In Studio One Pro the tempo track also controls any audio tracks. I believe many other DAWs do the same.

Funkifized #598985 05/25/20 07:35 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Band-in-a-Box documents whatever F5 bar settings are made.

Select the "Song Memo" button then select the "Bar Summary" button and Band-in-a-Box provides you with a bar-by-bar description of every change made.

The summary makes it easy to discover where you made a change but then forgot to return to normal - just sayin' - not that I've ever made that mistake myself!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (113.91 KB, 32 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
MarioD #599129 05/26/20 07:27 AM
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Good point for some DAWs. In Studio One Pro the tempo track also controls any audio tracks. I believe many other DAWs do the same.

I guess at that point it depends upon who has the best time stretching/pitch adjusting algorithms. Cakewalk does have some audio snap features, but I figure some of that is happening on the BiaB side so I keep that to a minimum on the DAW side, since I'm dealing with mostly "acoustic" guitar and other instruments from BiaB.

Last edited by cwiggins999; 05/26/20 07:28 AM.

Chuck Wiggins

BIAB 2023 Win UltraPak, Cakewalk, Windows 10 Pro
Custom AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, Focusrite Scarlett 4x4 interface

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chuckwigginsmusic
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1cGfP_abwQWwhX6TRcYsg
cwiggins999 #599144 05/26/20 09:32 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: cwiggins999
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I guess at that point it depends upon who has the best time stretching/pitch adjusting algorithms. Cakewalk does have some audio snap features, but I figure some of that is happening on the BiaB side so I keep that to a minimum on the DAW side, since I'm dealing with mostly "acoustic" guitar and other instruments from BiaB.

It is just different workflows for different people. Neither is wrong and both are right.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199