Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DrDan #595429 05/03/20 04:16 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Scaler 2 is a fun toy, but I do not see a direct way to incorporate in the workflow with BIAB, possibly an indirect one.
I would say this. For intermediate or hobbyist user it can accomplish 2 main goals:

1) A chord progression / chord movement reference tool. Scale explorer. It has pretty cool layout for circle of fifth, Secondary scale, Modal interchange and Mediants, Chord inversions. You can hear them and see them graphically. Build chord blocks and hear how they would sound together! That is mainly what I am after. And for this usage, I would not even insert it as a plugin to BIAB, but have it opened in NanoHost as a stand alone program so when working on progression in BIAB it serves as a reference tool. It has onboard sounds of good quality, more than good enough for reference.

2)Chord pattern builder and arpeggio trigger (chords can be triggered from single key and bind to any keyboard sections) Has a whole load of various arpeggios in all genres (no specific to Electronic music) Fun feature for some experiments.

Of course Scaler has about 100 other features, but I feel that two items above would be used most. Ideally I would like to see it integrated as a chord builder to be used instead of the one in BIAB. But you get what you get and you don't get upset... Maybe BIAB developers can figure out how to weld this thing into the workflow. I have tried several chord reference programs, this is the best one to my taste.

Overall fun plugin / tool. If you are looking to explore chord movement, inversions, all kinds of scales, to hear them side by side etc. This plugin is for you.

JohnJohnJohn #595435 05/03/20 04:23 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Maybe best to just wait for 2.0? I don't wanna buy it twice!
Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Download and install the 30 day demo of V1.8.1 in the mean time and start getting use to the features.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Rustyspoon# #595443 05/03/20 04:31 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Scaler 2 is a fun toy, but I do not see a direct way to incorporate in the workflow with BIAB, possibly an indirect one.
I would say this. For intermediate or hobbyist user it can accomplish 2 main goals:

1) A chord progression / chord movement reference tool. Scale explorer. It has pretty cool layout for circle of fifth, Secondary scale, Modal interchange and Mediants, Chord inversions. You can hear them and see them graphically. Build chord blocks and hear how they would sound together! That is mainly what I am after. And for this usage, I would not even insert it as a plugin to BIAB, but have it opened in NanoHost as a stand alone program so when working on progression in BIAB it serves as a reference tool. It has onboard sounds of good quality, more than good enough for reference.

2)Chord pattern builder and arpeggio trigger (chords can be triggered from single key and bind to any keyboard sections) Has a whole load of various arpeggios in all genres (no specific to Electronic music) Fun feature for some experiments.

Of course Scaler has about 100 other features, but I feel that two items above would be used most. Ideally I would like to see it integrated as a chord builder to be used instead of the one in BIAB. But you get what you get and you don't get upset... Maybe BIAB developers can figure out how to weld this thing into the workflow. I have tried several chord reference programs, this is the best one to my taste.

Overall fun plugin / tool. If you are looking to explore chord movement, inversions, all kinds of scales, to hear them side by side etc. This plugin is for you.

Could not have said it better. Exactly my findings on this hidden gem.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #596654 05/09/20 03:31 PM
Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
First time I hear about a version 2.0. I hope it will be good and cheap to buy. I like Scaler so far.

Will Josef #596680 05/09/20 05:09 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Will,
It is a wonderful plugin. Price would be similar to Scaler 1.8
But it is a different, far more advanced beast. They will offer discount upgrade to all previous Scaler owners.

I think it would be a good idea for PG developers to look into this plugin if they can implement a path to use it within BIAB. And for people who do not want to spend money, maybe a similar path can be used to implement BIAB Chord Picker that pipeline is generously giving out for free.

I am using a beta version as a standalone (with VST shell), as chord reference tool with BIAB and it is great!

Scaler 1 was a huge hit. This will be better smile

DrDan #598667 05/23/20 05:42 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just a brief update. Scaler 2 is scheduled for release on May 27. If you purchase Scaler 1.8 now for $49 USD you will receive a free updated when 2.0 comes out. If you already have V1.8 the price for Scaler 2.0 has not yet been published.

DrDan #598678 05/23/20 08:24 AM
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
How much for 2.0 if you don't own previous version?

JohnJohnJohn #598709 05/23/20 12:48 PM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
How much for 2.0 if you don't own previous version?

That has not been officially announced. Buzz on the street says it will be $49 USD.

DrDan #599134 05/26/20 08:34 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Came a day early, go figure!

Scaler 2 Upgrade from Scaler 1: US$ 19 grin cool cool cool

DrDan #599305 05/27/20 05:15 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
hi guys I pick it up for 15.71 plugin boutique I can get it to make some sound in biab with midi host but when I load it from biab I get scaler 2.2 but no sound. in the host midi setup only scaler 1.8.1 shows up the sound is limited you cant drag chords from scaler to biab that I have tried no luck anyone get this work in biab thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
DrDan #599333 05/27/20 08:55 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Eric, you are likely the only who has tried to bring Scaler into BIAB. Personally, my workflow is to get my music out of BIAB and not try to bring music into it. So I won't be trying that. I have found that Scaler and Reaper and EZKeys all trade chord charts effortlessly via drag and drop. So once I have BIAB tracks in Reaper I am good to go with using the necessary tools.

First, Scaler 2.0 was only released yesterday so much is still to be learned regarding its features and capabilities. But initial impressions suggest that there will be little synergy, at this moment, with BIAB and Scaler.

I know, this is likely coming as a surprise to some. Scaler is midi chord progressions at its core, which is exactly how BIAB started. Scaler will drag and drop midi content across EZkeys and Reaper - Sweet and powerful! These three apps (Scaler, EZKeys and Reaper) all permit midi in and out via drag and drop. So there are lots of options there.

However, BIAB does not play nice with other apps. Meaning BIAB does not permit moving midi content across applications in a simple manner. The "write chords to file" feature in BIAB is not automated and requires "clean up" before the output is usable. At the same time, Inputting midi files into BIAB is limited.

I am a big fan of all these tools. But until BIAB learns to play nice with the other kids by exchanging data in a simple workflow, I don't see the practicality of the pairing. For the time being I am using Reaper as the middle man to keep both apps working together to the best I can manage.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 05/27/20 08:58 AM.

DrDan #599344 05/27/20 10:00 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
RustySpoon
Did Scaler 2.0 break your Nanohost Standalone?

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/what-happened/3197

Dan

Last edited by MusicStudent; 05/27/20 10:03 AM.

DrDan #599361 05/27/20 11:37 AM
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I don't have Scaler but you can drag n drop midi into Biab,
I just set how many bars to go into the midi file 0 that is the start
how many bars to import 8 that is the length
how many blank bars to start including BB 2 bar count-in 10 (2+8 blank bars) to start on bar 9
It will import to the Melody by default but you can move or cut n paste to another track
Have the Merge with Existing Data.. checked to keep adding:

DrDan #599369 05/27/20 12:23 PM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pipeline,
First, there is a 30 day free version full functional demo of Scaler 2.0 available.

However transferring midi from Scaler to BIAB is not what we need at this time! What is needed is a script which takes the chord chart from Scaler and puts it into Reapers just like you did for transferring Chord names from BIAB to Reaper.

Look at this...
https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/text-label-for-midi-should-have-the-chord-notes-when-dragged-into-daw/2262/27

It was at my suggestion that they provide some way to output the chord names in a text file. So they did! They allowed a copy to clipboard of all chord titles. So can you do something with that to mimic what you did with your Reatracks chord transfer?
If there is anything I can do to help let me know. The developers are also very cooperative. What do you think? Is this doable?

Dan

DrDan #599373 05/27/20 12:39 PM
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I'll have a look later, but you can use
ReaTrak chords from midi item.lua
to get the chords from progression.mid
Ask them to write the chord names as midi markers in progression.mid

Pipeline #599398 05/27/20 03:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
hi pipeline that looks like what I was looking for thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
DrDan #599401 05/27/20 03:46 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
hi Musicstudent I to use bandlab, mixcraft ezkeys and scaler they do work well with the drag and drop and give great Music possibilities now I use biab as a tool and arranger and it does very well for me just thought it would be handy at times to drag in from scaler thanks eric

DrDan #599473 05/28/20 04:04 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
MusicStudent,

Yes, I bought the upgrade to show my support smile Beta worked fine with midi keyboard. I downloaded and installed official release. It does not crash Nanohost without midi board connected, will try with board next few days, maybe sooner.
*There are couple of Nanohost versions... Mine is 1.0.2. Developers are very responsive with fixing things, I saw your message on the board. My guess, they are swamped with emails. Give them a few days to sort this out.

P.S. I think they took advice to make it a standalone seriously. I would not be surprised if they roll out their own version soon.

Also, I was very glad they implemented a few of my minor suggestions smile

Rustyspoon# #599569 05/28/20 12:32 PM
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Where is the copy chords to clipboard button ?
EDIT: found it, right click

B maj, C# min, D# dim, E maj, F# min, G# min, A maj
now I'll see if I can make a script to get them into Reaper.

Last edited by Pipeline; 05/28/20 12:38 PM.
Pipeline #599573 05/28/20 12:52 PM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Where is the copy chords to clipboard button ?
EDIT: found it, right click

B maj, C# min, D# dim, E maj, F# min, G# min, A maj
now I'll see if I can make a script to get them into Reaper.

Sweet! grin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195