Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#599414 05/27/20 07:27 PM
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I started this song on Monday - I went downstairs plugged in and pounded away until a progression came to me, then a 2nd. I built the basic song in BIAB using a ska guitar, a clean tele sounding one and bass n drums from a "punk" style.
I imported the tracks to Reaper, rendered it & listened to it a few times that night.
In the shower on Tuesday I had a lyric idea - not great, not even nice but an idea. I replaced the BIAB guitars with a Mustang track and a Tele clone track using a Marshall amp crunchy as well as clean.
Wednesday the lyric idea had developed into a "melody" as well so I sketched that with a few passes and replaced the BIAB bass A few listens and a sleep pointed out the phrasing problems amongst others.
Today I retracked the vocal and added some gap filler guitar for intro & solo parts.
The BIAB RealDrums are solid and have been through a little EQ and compression.
It needs a real voice, a real solo and some Valium - tracking at 165bpm was messy and exhausting.
It's a ditty about a post punk/post new wave figure.

SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/in-the-kitchen-pygmy-beat-extended

Lyrics...

IN THE KITCHEN
VERSE1
Pounding out an urban soundtrack`
Fake to face we take the bus back
Everything breaks it’s what we lack

CHORUS1
Don’t send Debbie to the kitchen
Keep Natalie from the kitchen
Just don’t know what might be found
Don’t let Ian in the kitchen
Eyes glazed and he’s twitchin’
He’ll end up hanging around

VERSE2
Transmission breaks and it ends
Walking on splinters with my friends
You know some days we can’t defend

CHORUS2
Keep Natalie from the kitchen
Needs to take his medication

VERSE3
Family portrait on the wall
Belgian whispers for the fall
Crisis high prices one and all

CHORUS3

No joy no
No fun no
No joy no fun.

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 02/09/23 09:07 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
rayc #599441 05/28/20 01:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice one, Ray! Great groove.

Your vocal sounds good to me.

Solo wise this is way out of my comfort zone or I would offer to do one for you. Don't think blues licks would fit somehow! eek

But yeah I dig it, well done.

rayc #599447 05/28/20 02:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's got a genuine punk feel. Loved that grinding bass.

Nice.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
rayc #599455 05/28/20 03:23 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ray,

I notice you start making songs that are not really my cup of tea. Still they are intriguing to listen to it all the way.
And it's amazing in how short time you put it together. Just 3 days, including the lyrics!
The band is pretty good. It also seems to me you must have had a lot of fun and energy making this song. Very nice!

I have one thing about the mixing of your song. To me your vocals can use more gain/ get upfront. And haven't you thought about a screaming 'double'on the chorusses. I can imagine four or five voices screaming allong not to send Debbie (or Nathalie, or Ian) to the kitchen. Have you ever allowed someone into your kitchen? I'm getting ideas how it must look like...

All the best,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
rayc #599470 05/28/20 03:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ray,

Excellent Punk-ness. Punk-y lyrics and a classic Punk melody.

The bass and drums sound great.

The guitars sound good too. But I thought they were just slightly too "mellow" in tone (for Punk) - thought they could use some high EQ crisp (other than that, they are superb).

You vocals work well. I agree with Hans - some upper register backing in the chorus would send it over the top.

Catchy the way Punk should be. Terrific groove. A real head-rockin' chair-dancer...

fj

User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice one, Ray! Great groove.
Your vocal sounds good to me.
Solo wise this is way out of my comfort zone or I would offer to do one for you. Don't think blues licks would fit somehow! eek
But yeah I dig it, well done.

Thanks Dave,
IF you hear any of my stuff that you'd like to drop a line on just let me know: I'm always happy to have an ace blues flavoured solo on most of my stuff.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Guitar Hacker,
The grinding bass is a DI'd Vantage. In the box I set up a send and receive track with a Klon clone VST on it. The bass sends a split to the Klon which is EQd and hammered by the drive which sends it back to the bass track where they blend. It's WAY too hard to guess how much drive is necessary until the mix is full. Without a vocal it sounded like the bass was 200% too loud but with a vocal it's almost right. Hence I didn't use the VST as an input effect not an insert on the main bass track as they, as a matter of course, cut significant bottom end.Using send & return allows me to add drive without the loss.

Last edited by rayc; 05/28/20 10:57 PM.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ray,
I notice you start making songs that are not really my cup of tea. Still they are intriguing to listen to it all the way.
And it's amazing in how short time you put it together. Just 3 days, including the lyrics!
The band is pretty good. It also seems to me you must have had a lot of fun and energy making this song. Very nice!
I have one thing about the mixing of your song. To me your vocals can use more gain/ get upfront. And haven't you thought about a screaming 'double' on the choruses. I can imagine four or five voices screaming allong not to send Debbie (or Nathalie, or Ian) to the kitchen. Have you ever allowed someone into your kitchen? I'm getting ideas how it must look like...
All the best,
Hans

Hans,
Thanks. Yes, it came together pretty quickly. It would've been faster if I hadn't spent a couple of hours trawling through my lyric scrap heap looking for as easy out. As it was the lyric was done in a sitting and tweaked twice since (including once after the posted version).
As the vocal isn't meant as a keeper I didn't explore textures and harmonies but a gang vocal for the chorus is definitely one of the ideas I'm hoping to achieve once I get a vocal sorted. The "screaming" is an excellent idea.
The kitchen in the story is in a Manchester suburb and is infamous/notorious.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,

Excellent Punk-ness. Punk-y lyrics and a classic Punk melody.
The bass and drums sound great.
The guitars sound good too. But I thought they were just slightly too "mellow" in tone (for Punk) - thought they could use some high EQ crisp (other than that, they are superb).
You vocals work well. I agree with Hans - some upper register backing in the chorus would send it over the top.
Catchy the way Punk should be. Terrific groove. A real head-rockin' chair-dancer...
fj

fj, Thankyou.
I have an EQ setting for the guitars that is muted at present but does just what you suggest. I was a little afraid it'd be too fizzy so thought I'd run the mix by some ears first. I'll try the EQing now you've mentioned it and as the vocals, of a sort, are in place.

Cheers
rayc
rayc #599582 05/28/20 01:41 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ray.
This is wonderfully crafted.
The vocal seems a little lost in the mix.
There was some feed back now then.
Rob4580

rayc #599584 05/28/20 02:06 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Ray,
You getting faster and better! Root Punk flavor. Very original sound.
"It needs a real voice, a real solo" I think you are wrong smile It is good like that, semi-raw. That is what genre dictates. Vocals are great! Personally I would prefer them to stick out more, but I know you like em a little buried. This was a treat! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

rayc #599588 05/28/20 02:41 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hiya Ray, this is way out of my comfort zone too, but good work I agree with the others who say the vocals need to come up

Rob4580 #599601 05/28/20 05:59 PM
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hi Ray.
This is wonderfully crafted.
The vocal seems a little lost in the mix.
There was some feed back now then.
Rob4580

Hello Rob,
The new mix in the OP has a louder vocal ...I am waiting on an actual singer on another forum who wanted a crack at it.
The feedback is actually deliberately recorded...It's my little fetish.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Ray,
You getting faster and better! Root Punk flavor. Very original sound.
"It needs a real voice, a real solo" I think you are wrong smile It is good like that, semi-raw. That is what genre dictates. Vocals are great! Personally I would prefer them to stick out more, but I know you like em a little buried. This was a treat! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Misha,
Thanks mate.
I've bowed to your preference - update up top.

Cheers
rayc
furry #599603 05/28/20 06:02 PM
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
Hiya Ray, this is way out of my comfort zone too, but good work I agree with the others who say the vocals need to come up

Graham,
thank you for sitting in the wrong chair to listen.
I appreciate it.

Cheers
rayc
rayc #599614 05/28/20 10:24 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Ray
Cool punk sound. Personally I think the solo suits the song as is. I agree a 'gang chorus' would lift it (like that term). Nice job on the lyrics, which I assume reference Ian Curtis' untimely demise.
Regards,
Leon

rayc #599616 05/28/20 10:41 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your answer.
I hope to hear those yelling voices in the back once.
And I had to laugh loud when reading that kitchen wasn't yours, but an obscure, but famous pub.

Nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Leon1 #599617 05/28/20 10:46 PM
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You pegged it Leon an odd song but it is, essentially, as it came to me in the shower.
Thanks for the kind words.
I hope the weather wasn't too bad down there - it was COLD and wet here but not as bad as predicted.

Cheers
rayc
User Showcase
rayc Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your answer.
I hope to hear those yelling voices in the back once.
And I had to laugh loud when reading that kitchen wasn't yours, but an obscure, but famous pub.

Nice day,
Hans

Hans,
I'm sorry I was opaque with my reference...
"The kitchen in the story is in a Manchester suburb and is infamous/notorious."
The address is 77 Barton Street in Macclesfield, Cheshire.

Cheers
rayc
rayc #599620 05/28/20 11:05 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh sorry Ray. I misread your post on that.

Still I had to laugh. And to be honest; don't you agree the kitchen as a name for a pub looks better than reality?
Or is that a bad thing to say?
Would you advise me to visit it?

Stay safe,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,734
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197