Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
..., do you all believe 20,000+ views on this topic? crazy I'm wondering where that ranks in the records for the # of views in the "off topic forum"?
Possibly in second, to the removed thread that had all the jokes from copyrighted sources.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
H
interesting program. it just takes a lot of time to learn just how to use it. Very confusing interface.

Off-Topic
H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
H
Unfortunately, that cannot be utilized with the program on this site. Very big minus. Second, isn’t you who needs complex chords other than jazz music? Rock and pop is simple if you want to do it. As for the melody so Scaler what makes the melody so I don't think it's a song melody. The program on this page may well create a melody that can be sung.

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Hulkko
Unfortunately, that cannot be utilized with the program on this site. Very big minus.

A long time effort has gone into attempting to remedying this point. And some limited progress has been made. Particularly using Reaper to share chord charts between Scaler and BIAB-VST via the midi markers which both utilize. But, yes, much more needs to be done.

Here is the Manual Method for moving chord charts from Scaler to BIAB.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Capture.JPG (108.75 KB, 351 downloads)
Capture.JPG (69.31 KB, 346 downloads)

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Expert
Online Confused
Expert
Thanks Dan, very good explaination, but to what end? I'm not sure why anyone would want to do this... Scaler2.5 and BIAB are both excellent tools for generating MIDI and Audio files, which are part of a balanced diet for my hungry DAW...
edit; BTW thanks again for link to the excellent wrapper, https://www.tone2.com/nanohost.html another excellent tool.

Last edited by bloc-head; 11/22/21 05:37 AM. Reason: added text

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I want to share chord charts across the two programs. Why? Because, simply put, Scaler is a better tool for creating interesting chord charts and BIAB is a better tool for creating accompaniments to play the chord charts.

What I showed above is the current best "manual" workflow, short of just retyping them over again. Granted, it is not an attractive workflow either way.

There is another workflow which moves the chord chart from Scaler to Reaper to BIAB-VST. But that is not perfect either.

But thanks for asking. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: Hulkko
Unfortunately, that cannot be utilized with the program on this site. Very big minus.

A long time effort has gone into attempting to remedying this point. And some limited progress has been made. Particularly using Reaper to share chord charts between Scaler and BIAB-VST via the midi markers which both utilize. But, yes, much more needs to be done.

Here is the Manual Method for moving chord charts from Scaler to BIAB.

Thanks for the tip. I still can’t use Scaler so much that I would play those midi keyboards like one in a video on youtube. So I can't save it. Help would be appreciated.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Näyttökuva 2021-11-22 kello 18.06.58.png (695.4 KB, 6 downloads)
how does that happen
Last edited by Hulkko; 11/22/21 06:14 AM.
Off-Topic
H
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
H
I knew it now and finally. Nothing but Scaler 2 to take advantage of and learn more. laugh cool

Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Not sure exactly what you are requesting, however, best to send you to the very friendly Scaler 2 forum for questions and answers.

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
(Cool, a thread for me to use for this...)

I just bought Scaler 2.5 and am trying to figure out what to do with it. This is far from obvious! I would just like to ask:

Has anyone here actually used Scaler together with BIAB to create a song? If so, is it posted somewhere with an explanation of the connection? I'm thinking of something like, "The first verse is how I originally wrote it, the second verse uses a progression Scaler generated based on the first."

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/02/22 01:38 PM.
DrDan #695720 01/02/22 02:15 PM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mark Hayes
(Cool, a thread for me to use for this...) Has anyone here actually used Scaler together with BIAB to create a song?

OMG, fresh meat! cry
This thread will be 2 years old next month. With 28,000 views it is the second most viewed thread on this site. Which is a testimony to my personal (nagging) persistance grin , the forums interest and the synergy between Scaler and BIAB.

Over that time I have uploaded a couple songs I did with Scaler-BIAB-Reaper. One example:
https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoch-784636941/perseverance

I have also made a number of videos using Scaler and BIAB, however, I don't leave these on the web. But there are lots and lots of pro videos of Scaler and even some specifically for Scaler and BIAB. Look in this tread for some links.

I might suggest you start a separate thread for what peaks you specific interests with using Scaler and BIAB. Keep in mind there is an excellent user forum for Scaler where you will recognize a number of the folks from here. Actually, this is where our little chinese friend hangs his hat.

DrDan #695730 01/02/22 02:47 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Over that time I have uploaded a couple songs I did with Scaler-BIAB-Reaper. One example:
https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoch-784636941/perseverance

Thanks! Can you tell me something about where Scaler came in? Did it make suggestions to spiff up a simple progression, did you use those "performance" things where you play somebody's chords by playing a scale, did it generate "modulation pathways" for you?

Oh, and did you still have a human soul after collaborating with Scaler? =8^)

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/02/22 03:07 PM.
DrDan #695848 01/03/22 06:22 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Scaler comes in at the mark shown. Yes, this is one of those "performance " things which play over my chords.

Scaler, like BIAB, creates midi. What scaler does different is it permits chord voicings to be explicitly set and adjusted based on how you want to hear or play the chords. Second, Scaler identifies the harmonic series of chords for any specific scale or mode. With this you can hear and select the next chord in your sequence from within the selected scale.

Scale permits me to visually identify, examine and hear my chord progressions as I compose "on the fly". It has permitted me to voice the chord on the keyboard as I play and capture the exact midi notes I want to hear. This was a game changer for me and has become an integral part of my music making. Fact is, Scaler has allowed me to get more of me into my music.

Yes, Scaler does make suggestions for chord sequences and does generate modulation pathways, and it does construct performance sets and much more. So I do understand your point about losing one's soul to software which writes the music for you. Heck, we are in a BIAB forum so we all understand that reality. cry I can only say, we all do the best we can with the tools and talent at our disposal. grin

Visit the Scaler forum. Join in the chats and review the videos. You say you already bought the software, so you should see what others are doing.

Capture.JPG (23.69 KB, 273 downloads)

DrDan #695859 01/03/22 07:35 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Scaler comes in at the mark shown. Yes, this is one of those "performance " things which play over my chords.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. There are many, many words and videos explaining what Scaler can do, I'm wondering what I can do with it.

I do understand your point about losing one's soul to software which writes the music for you.

OK, I was just kidding about losing your soul.

There are certainly concerns to be had about the effects of this stuff on creativity, but I don't go in for the idea that there's some mystical force inside us that we must protect and nurture by only getting ideas from organic sources.

I'm actually a big fan of automation and algorithmic composition as sources of musical material, and have no qualms about that. I even use pitch recognition on raw noise to generate MIDI output that you may or may not want to call music; I generate some output, delete all the obvious crap, then work what's left into something that sounds good to me.

Here's one "workflow" that might horrify some:

1) Pick an algorithm, set some parameters, and let it generate an hour of music with 8 parts.
2) Listen for parts that sound good and discard the rest, yielding, say, 5 minutes of music in 4 parts.
3) Voice, arrange, edit.

(Of course, an hour of 8 monkeys jumping around on a rectangle of 4 pianos would probably also provide interesting material, and now I'm wondering if anyone has ever made music out of animals "playing" instruments like that. I absolutely guarantee if you take that hour-long recording, you will find interesting sections, structured by the physical ratios of their bodies and behaviors. Anyway!)

Visit the Scaler forum. Join in the chats and review the videos. You say you already bought the software, so you should see what others are doing.

Already there, thanks. The occasional comments about BIAB are interesting and strangely familiar.

PS – Computer music, by the program Aural and me:

https://soundcloud.com/mark_hayes/cellular-automata

Aural gave me a pure, abstract MIDI, generated using algorithms I know nothing about, and I messed with it in Logic. It's a little long (10 minutes), but I tried to keep it interesting.

Scaler here I come.

Last edited by Mark Hayes; 01/03/22 11:56 AM.
DrDan #705443 02/18/22 07:26 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
On Sale again... Oh, and while I am here, just a heads up, version 2.8 due out any day.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/6439-Scaler-2

DrDan #705575 02/19/22 06:40 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Online Confused
Expert
I have enjoyed playing around with version 2.5, but for me so far, it's more of a toy than a tool... but I realize that's on me.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

DrDan #736353 10/26/22 10:42 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, someone has to do it...

Scaler 2.7 drops November 3rd.

It’s a mammoth update with some really nice new features.

Scaler 2.7 is set for release with the following changes:

Changelog 2.7.0

• New features

Add Live Sync ability to keep other Scaler instances synchronised in realtime.
Add new modes for Parallel Harmony to generate progressions by thirds, fourths, and fifths.
Add Auto Play in browser (Section A) to enable quick preview of chord sets.
Add Multi Voice Output (Multi Midi Out) option to split each note of chords onto separate channels.
Add Global UI Velocity controls to change the strength of MIDI notes played through the interface.
Add ability to consolidate chords from multiple patterns into a single chord set file.
• New Content

Sequence ‘Moods’.
80s, Classical, HipHop, LoFi Chord Sets.
Fixed Bass Chord Sets (Triad and Extended).
Orchestral Divisi Chord Sets (Intended to work with Multi Midi Out).
Experimental Phrases
Experimental Performances
Internal Orchestral Bass Instrument
Internal LoFi Instrument
• Improvements

Make undo/redo buttons always visible in Section C.
Clear Undo/Redo history when clearing state or when importing a state file.
Fix Daw-Sync timing causing playback to start early in Cubase.
Fix Play-Quantize offset calculation.
Remember the last selected scale on circle of fifths in the Voicing Editor.

DrDan #737215 11/03/22 10:51 AM
Off-Topic
DrDan Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I may end this tread with this new features video. Scaler has now advanced to such a high level that for those of you who have not jumped on board, it may just be too late. crazy

DrDan #737221 11/03/22 11:49 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The new vid is mostly impressive but the low fi crackle is pretty crappy.
Not a tool I'd delve into but impressive stuff....oh, Avant Gard as a preset must be an oxymoron. Perhaps avant gare?

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
rayc #737250 11/03/22 11:17 PM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: rayc
The new vid is mostly impressive but the low fi crackle is pretty crappy.
Not a tool I'd delve into but impressive stuff....oh, Avant Gard as a preset must be an oxymoron. Perhaps avant gare?

L'avant gare? Before the train station? Interesting name for a preset. No idea what it would sound like, other than crowd noises.

[img]https://scontent-mrs2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=63697347[/img]

[img]https://scontent-mrs2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=63698990[/img]

ThinkPad i9 32GB RAM 7TB SSD; Win11 Pro; PreSonus Studio 1810c; BiaB 2024 Ultra
Studio One 6 Pro; MuseScore 4; Melodyne 5 Studio; Acoustica Premium 7; Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4; NI S61 MK3; Focal Shape 65; Beyerdynamic DT 880 & 770
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,392
Posts732,471
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195