Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I'm new to BB (Windows Pro 2020 build 721, running on a reasonably-powerful, new laptop). I've set up a half-dozen reasonably complex backing arrangements, but I've got a problem with one of them: When I first load the song and tell BB to begin, it will start at the beginning. However, after I've played through it once (or even partially), I hit the HOME key on my computer, the highlighted bar is bar 1, but when I start the song, it starts at bar 47! I then stop it (spacebar) and then the next time I hit HOME and then space bar, the song will then begin at beginning. This is reproducible. How can I fix this? Thanks!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Interesting first question. I’ve never used the Home key in BIAB so I don’t know. I’ll test it when I get to my computer.

I normally start playback by the space bar or use the mouse.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hello,

Welcome also.

I don't normally use the Home key but it does have that exact function. The Home key will go directly to Bar 1 of the Chord Sheet.

The space bar is intended to restart the transport from the current position.

You mentioned once that it starts at bar 47. Is it always bar 47 on each alternate press of the home & space bar keys?

Is there anything special about bar 47? E.g. does it have a repeat at that point?

How many bars are in the total song (choruses x repeats)?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
First of all, the problem is measure 45, not 47 (my mistake). The song has 57 bars and repeats from measure 7 through 50. And I've got to have passed measure 45 at least once before BB fixates on that measure. And for what it's worth, I have BB installed on two computers; I copied the song to the other computer and the behavior is the same. If you want to have a look at the file yourself, I put it here: https://www.rivercityimageworks.com/customer/BB/wave.mgu

Thanks for your help here!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I downloaded and all I can say is that I have the same issue. I've never seen this before but I can repeat your findings exactly.

There is a huge amount of MIDI data being generated (Note On events and Control Change events etc) but I expect them to be there, as the tracks have transcriptions. Nevertheless, that shouldn't affect the playback starting at bar 45.

Suggest you send this file to PG Music and ask them to check it out. I'm sure that have analysis tools to sort this out.

Out of interest, did the song ever have a repeat / turnaround at bar 45?

Please do let us know what PG Music might have as input. Good luck.

Maybe others have seen this before and can offer some thoughts.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This only happens if you are on chorus 2 or higher. What's happening here is that it's "trying" to play from the start of the current chorus. Say you pause playback at chorus 2 bar 8, and move your cursor to bar 4, then start from current position (spacebar) - it will start at bar 4 of chorus 2 (not chorus 1). If you have 4 intro bars and position your cursor at bar 1 of the intro, it will start 4 bars prior to the start of chorus 1.

I wonder if there should be an additional hotkey that could set the current chorus?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
This only happens if you are on chorus 2 or higher. What's happening here is that it's "trying" to play from the start of the current chorus. Say you pause playback at chorus 2 bar 8, and move your cursor to bar 4, then start from current position (spacebar) - it will start at bar 4 of chorus 2 (not chorus 1). If you have 4 intro bars and position your cursor at bar 1 of the intro, it will start 4 bars prior to the start of chorus 1.

I wonder if there should be an additional hotkey that could set the current chorus?

Hi Andrew, thanks for stepping in, and your explanation. What I cannot understand is why bar 45? I agree that the song needs to actually start playing the next chorus before the issue is identified (I undertook several checks to validate this).

My tests:
I stop that song at Bar 8 in the 2nd chorus using the space bar to stop the song, and the song stops. So far so good.

Then I press the Home key.

Then I press the space bar (which I expect will start the song again, because I pressed the Home key, or perhaps will continue playing the song from the current position, because I used the <Space> key to stop/start the transport) but unexpectedly the song resumes at Bar 45 of the First chorus.

You mention: "What's happening here is that it's "trying" to play from the start of the current chorus."
I'm struggling to understand that. If it was playing from the start of the current chorus, even trying, why would it start playing from bar 45, 6 bars before the end of the previous chorus?

Appreciate your input, but I'm struggling to understand any logic in what is expected and what actually happens.

Could you try the above tests I used to see if you get expected or different results from mine?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Further thoughts:
Quote:
If it was playing from the start of the current chorus, even trying, why would it start playing from bar 45, 6 bars before the end of the previous chorus?

Further thoughts: After <Home> is pressed and the chord sheet highlights Bar 1, and then <Space> is pressed, is it playing the 6 bars of the previous chorus instead of the intro - which coincidentally just happens to be 6 bars long?

If so, surely this is not expected operation?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
According to Help: The Home key will go directly to Bar 1 of the Chord Sheet. The inference is that the song goes to bar 1.

That doesn't appear to be the case when stopping the song from some mid point and then pressing the Home key and then playing the song. I think that the song appears to start playing 'whatever the intro-length bars was' before the start of the next chorus.

I do find this unexpected, even if I think I know what's happening.

Beginners Forum
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I think that the song appears to start playing 'whatever the intro-length bars was' before the start of the next chorus.

Right, that's what I meant. Perhaps Home should go to bar 1 of chorus 1 rather than bar 1 of the current chorus?

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Beginners Forum
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
I'm still rather baffled by this problem, but I can work around it by touching the button to the left of the "regen and start" button; is this the "play from start" button? Anyway, thanks, guys, for looking at this, and at least implying that I'm not a complete nutcase!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I think you're doing OK. The action we experienced was somewhat unexpected in my view also, but apparently that is the design.

As a tip: You can press <Control>A to always start the song playing from the start position again.

Beginners Forum
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Hey, Video Track, thanks! The <cntrl>A works great, with fewer keystrokes (as it immediately starts playing from top). Greatly appreciate your help, buddy. Or should I say, "G'day, mate"?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RiverCityKen
Hey, Video Track, thanks! The <cntrl>A works great, with fewer keystrokes (as it immediately starts playing from top). Greatly appreciate your help, buddy. Or should I say, "G'day, mate"?

"G'day, mate" is just perfect. Everyone here knows exactly what that uplifting 'Aussie term' means.

Appreciate both your kind words, and letting us know that this helped. Great. grin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,503
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195