Print Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I almost hear you sigh, sorry. I got you the first time, but didn’t express myself clearly. It’s a great idea. No soloist, but the solo track.

I use the solo track a lot (not the soloist, sorry for the misnomer): for transcription, for recording my midi piano, to work on my lousy timing, to check out different approaches...

There is a great and underestimated PGMUSIC product: the Modern Jazz Pianist. I imported it in BIAB and sent the midi piano to the solo track to check it out. The work of Renee Rosnes especially is full of deliciously refined modern harmony. There is a lot to be learned from that. On this product they didn’t use the automatic accompaniment of BIAB, because it would sound wrong, the bass part in particular. Sadly there is not much in the way of explanation, so I am often clueless in trying to grasp the harmony behind it. It’s way beyond Mark Levine. Like some of the stuff Miles Black talks about in his Pgmusic Jazz Piano tutorial, also a great source of info.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Very good.

I don’t have The Modern Jazz Pianist. If someone buys that, can they use a piano track from it in a ‘regular’ BIAB song?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
It’s wonderful

If you open the midi in BIAB you can follow the chords on screen. It’s a pgmusic MIDI and BIAB displays the chords. You can silence drum and bass and choose other accompaniment.

I know this because the original software gives very strange sheet results in Windows 8-10. I was disappointed, but dragging the midi files in BIAB gives you the right chord changes.

It’s very intricate, I said it’s beyond Mark Levine, but that’s not all true. Advanced things I learned from Levine (on slash chords for instance or the “Kenny Barron” chord, the use of phrygian) are omnipresent. And, though I think Renee Rosnes is the big star of the session, Miles Black shows he has some advanced stuff down, also.

I hope Miles Black could one day help us, mortals, to better understand the music (especially what Renee Rosnes does, cause it’s all Hancock, Beirach, Tyner...) on this very underrated piece of software. I’d gladly pay for this tutorial.

With Modern Jazz Pianist, Pgmusic was on the cutting edge of modern jazz. i hope they repeat it one day with todays’ players.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
+1 in support of this request.

A user should be able to program the midi pattern StyleMaker to use ANY conceivable chord or pattern appropriate to the selected midi patch number.

At the very least perhaps it is time for PG Music to revisit the midi pattern StyleMaker. When a retired college professor states the present StyleMaker is beyond his grasp that is telling.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
... When a retired college professor states the present StyleMaker is beyond his grasp that is telling.
Well, now there is a challenge. I doubt it is beyond my grasp. I was put off by it initially, and it is my plan to find time to explore it given the comments of those who say I will benefit by doing so. During the time I'm stranded at home, I'm writing music like crazy. But, point (and nudge) taken. Thanks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Matt,

Please do not be offended as no offense was intended.

My hope is PG Music will accept the statement you made and my response as two strong indicators that the midi pattern Stylemaker deserves some attention.

PG Music has started publishing midi styles after neglecting them for a few years. Midi is beginning to have renewed interest so now is an opportune time to give the midi pattern Stylemaker some attention.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I completely agree!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I completely agree!

As do I!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Which chords can BIAB really play? Let’s find out in this video.
I tried to sum it up in this video (if you go see it on Youtube, I have some markers to help you switch from part to part).

You can easily try it yourself. Just make a blank style with a scale running up and down for bass and piano. Remember, for a style, you have to stay in C7.

And, to be sure, there is still fun to be had. Check the end of the video.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Dzjang,

I want to applaud you for your effort directed at identifying a Band-in-a-Box deficiency and making a suggestion to improve the product.

My knowledge of music theory is not strong but you convinced me that the midi Stylemaker can be improved.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Dzjang,
Thanks for putting in such a big effort to identify what is actually occurring. Your work is appreciated.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Dzjang, this is interesting and thank you.

I just want to make sure, was it intentional that you used a bass patch on the second half, representing the scales the piano is to play? It's not a bass part in a higher register showing on the treble clef? I'm confused...

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I hear your frustration, and do know that there are many of us supporting your excellent efforts.

Hopefully others that can assist with resolving will see this also.

Excellent effort, and appreciated.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
+1 thanks.
You just got to keep nagging and posting videos and pics, I hate doing it but it's the only way to get things fixed or implemented, though a decade at it does take it out of you.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I was just making a Biab chord importer for Impro-Visor
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=600144
It has a Utilities > Voicing Editor where you can add your own chords.
It has a styles editor but I haven't played around with it.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Great, pipeline,

Sad that Impro-visor has a really un-intuitive style maker. I tried using MIDI files, but failed every time.

On the other hand, impro-visor knows chords and harmony.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Dzjang Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Some say midi styles play wrong notes, but real styles are correct,

Well...

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for your hard work and dedication Jan.

You have clearly and sensitively articulated a number of areas where the results don't reflect the expectations. Let's hope these areas can be improved.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
Dzjang,
with a lot of effort, you have put together quite exactly where BiaB has problems. As a double bass player, I've been concerned for a long time about the program's somewhat neglected approach to jazz bass accompaniment. And I am quite impressed with your own style files.

Biab/RB latest build, German Language Pak, Win 10/64 Pro, 1 TB SSD, 32 GB RAM. Notation SW Finale, StaffPad, SmartsScore – Playing Double Bass, Guitar, Piano
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Dzjang,

I appreciate your passion for modern jazz, your knowledge of the limitations of RealTracks, your enthusiasm and desire to share your passion with other people. I listened to some of your style demos and your are a talented creator.

Have your thought of expanding your offerings? You might be the perfect candidate to revive interest in UserTracks.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199