Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#599269 05/27/20 01:02 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Getting Colder is a song about social isolation: https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/getting-colder
It can happen to all of us, like with Covid-19, but also because of social or emotional situations.
That happened to me some time ago. I remembered what it did in my head. I hestitated bringing this song to the forum because of that, but I want the melody to be judged. It's not only a sad song. If you listen closely, you can hear a Latin touch in the chordprogression. I had 'La Bamba' in mind, but a lot slower. Still it can be heard, provided you know that song.
I ued no drums, only a footstomp. This is to give more space to the other instruments and the vocals.

I do hope you like it, but don't hesitate to tell me what I did wrong, can do better, or did well,
Hans

The instruments:
The Style is _MANDOWN.STY (Man Down Ev8 Country Mando Solo)

RealTracks: 2915:Bas,
RealTracks: 1690:Piano, Acoustic
RealTracks: 2051:Guitar, Ac, Fingerpicking
RealTracks: ~896:Guitar, 12-String ac.
RealTracks: 3236:Guitar, Nylon, Fingerpicking
RealDrums: FootStomp Reel:16ths SlightSwing

The lyrics:

Getting colder
(c) HWBerkhout

It's getting cold now
There are no blankets to warm all of me
Yes, it's getting colder
Nothing around me, here at this place I can see

Can't stop the shivering
and the chattering of my teeth
It was foolish to go to this place
Without power and no one to meet

When I muse about my reasons
I can't remember going anywhere
I even can't remember what I've been doing
I was just there

It is so cold now
No branches to use for a fire(
I'm f*cked)
Maybe I'm older
Can't figure out how to retire

I'm afraid no one's will come to this place
I don't hear no sound
And my mobile is out of reach
while it's getting too late to go around

When I muse about my motivations
I can't see a reason why I went
It was more or less an obligation
No one knows about or understand

And if I muse about my situation
No messages to friends I send
Although I know what will happen now
I still can not comprehend,
No I don't!

solo

It's getting colder
I'm tired, close my eyes for a while (2x)
I'm getting so cold now
So very damned cold
Oh it's much too cold

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

I really like this.

Good opening. Nice instrumentation throughout.

A solid lyric. I like the melody. Very effective.

A really good vocal. One of your best, I think. Clear and "present".

Excellent job all around. Well done.

(and I like your picture!)

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very sad ... but

very will written;

very good vocals;

and very well mixed.

Thought provoking ... powerful

Excellent composition and performance!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Hans ...

Loved this from the very beginning. Your vocal sounds great! Nice transition from the all-acoustic to the full band! Everything about this is really, really good. Very sad but appropriate fort the time. Enjoyed those unexpected chord changes in places. Excellent work!!!

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Powerful!

Hans, this is my new favorite from you.

Love the arrangement, the lyrics, and this has to be your best vocal yet. Nice mix too!

Very, very good!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm with Floyd on this. Good song.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Interesting self examination in the lyric matched by a strong vocal and a good melody.
The solo guitar & later piano/guitar simple arrangement works well.
It could be my `phones but I get some harshness in the vocal - sounds like its overcooked in places- you have a powerful voice!
A minor thought fwiw;I don`t think I`m squeamish about offensive language, I just find its better left out of lyrics- the one word here distracts a little.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
1. Superbly written lyrics that penetrate the heart.

2. Melody: This is one of those songs that the melody fits the melody, as the cliche goes, like a glove. Wonderful!

3. Vocal performance is one of your best: expressive and clear.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,

I really like this.
Good opening. Nice instrumentation throughout.
A solid lyric. I like the melody. Very effective.
A really good vocal. One of your best, I think. Clear and "present".
Excellent job all around. Well done.
(and I like your picture!)

fj

Hi Floyd,
I'm most pleased by your comment / judgement of the song.
I had a similair feeling about this song, being one of the better ones.
For me this means I grow in the proces of recording and mixing.
That took so much time the last years. And the results never were what I wanted them to sound.
That was quite a frustrating process. When listening to your songs, they all have that high quality of brightness I want to reach.
It still will take time to reach that, but I'm getting warmer...

And you know you're the first mentioning a picture accompanying my songs. Like that!

So thanks Floyd,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Very sad ... but
very will written;
very good vocals;
and very well mixed.
Thought provoking ... powerful

Excellent composition and performance!

J&B

Hi Janice and Bud,
What very, very, very nice of you to write this about the song.
You are such loyal listeners of my songs, and always with positive reactions.
I really appreciate that.

Thanks,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Al-David #599642 05/29/20 01:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Hans ...

Loved this from the very beginning. Your vocal sounds great! Nice transition from the all-acoustic to the full band! Everything about this is really, really good. Very sad but appropriate fort the time. Enjoyed those unexpected chord changes in places. Excellent work!!!

Best to you. Be safe ...

Alan

Hello Di and Alan,

A very lovely reaction from you! I always like the way you write your findings, especially the compliments ;-)
One last thing about the 'unexpected chord changes': because it is a 'heavy' song I thought to add some lighthearted chordprogressions. That was a bit dangerous for the original melody, but I am glad I did it. Thanks for noticing!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Hans,

I liked it a lot — your vocal slays on this one. You can hear the “La Bamba” progression, but your use of it is unique, and had you not mentioned it, I might not have picked it up--nicely done. My only nit is the shift musically into the chorus—e.g., at the 1:15 mark and later in the song—is the transition too dramatic? The song continues to sound great afterward, so wondering if there’s a slightly softer way to move into it that chorus. Dunno—but then again, that may have been your intent and it may work really well for others—so take it for what it’s worth. Outstanding work regardless—with some sweet production touches. Enjoyed it!

Hope all is good with you,

Deej

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Hans
Nice instrumentation and melody and a strong vocal. Sounds like the personal circumstances you've drawn on were hard going. Hope that using the memory of those feelings to create the song was cathartic (as it often can be).
Regards,
Leon

Leon1 #599940 05/30/20 10:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Powerful!
Hans, this is my new favorite from you.
Love the arrangement, the lyrics, and this has to be your best vocal yet. Nice mix too!
Very, very good!

Hi Dave, thanks for my new ratings! I wished more people would feel the same about this dark song, but we have a crowdy forum...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I'm with Floyd on this. Good song.

Hi Herb, thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Hans,
Interesting self examination in the lyric matched by a strong vocal and a good melody.
The solo guitar & later piano/guitar simple arrangement works well.
It could be my `phones but I get some harshness in the vocal - sounds like its overcooked in places- you have a powerful voice!
A minor thought fwiw;I don`t think I`m squeamish about offensive language, I just find its better left out of lyrics- the one word here distracts a little.

Robert

Hello Robert, thanks for your well thought comments on the song! And no, it aint your ears that are playing tricks here.
Although the vocals also are not overcooked. It had to do with the way I did the mixing. I use two vocaltracks. Adjusted a minor vocal issue in one track with melodyne, but forgot to do the same in the second track. It's a minor thing but I will fix it later.
The song brought back bad memories i have to get rid of. still i made the song because many people can have these kind of feelings (and I liked the melody). About that offensive language you mentioned; that was not my intention; when I sing I try to empathize with the subject. The spot in the lyrics where I used that word was where I realized I was in big trouble (according to the situation). And this is what people (could) say when they realize they are in big problems. Sorry if it offended you, but that's why I used it.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm

1. Superbly written lyrics that penetrate the heart.
2. Melody: This is one of those songs that the melody fits the melody, as the cliche goes, like a glove. Wonderful!
3. Vocal performance is one of your best: expressive and clear.

Hi Ezekiel, thanks for your wonderful comment. I glowed with pleasure the day you wrote this!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Hans,

I liked it a lot — your vocal slays on this one. You can hear the “La Bamba” progression, but your use of it is unique, and had you not mentioned it, I might not have picked it up--nicely done. My only nit is the shift musically into the chorus—e.g., at the 1:15 mark and later in the song—is the transition too dramatic? The song continues to sound great afterward, so wondering if there’s a slightly softer way to move into it that chorus. Dunno—but then again, that may have been your intent and it may work really well for others—so take it for what it’s worth. Outstanding work regardless—with some sweet production touches. Enjoyed it!

Hope all is good with you,
Deej

Hello Deej, thanks for listening so thoroughly and still having such a positive judgement. That 'La Bamba' chord progression was -in a way- meant to be 'hidden'. The purpose was to let a dark song sounds somewhat lighter with a bit of swing. But I admit, it happened by accident when re-composing the song. But I liked it, that's why it came in the final version of the song.
And I understand what you say about the transition from verse to chorus. I had a hard time on that one. I tried different things. But the durance of the song played a roll too. I choose the solution (with a pause and push) you are not so satisfied about. If you have another sollution, let me know. I want to learn!

Originally Posted By: Leon1

Hi Hans
Nice instrumentation and melody and a strong vocal. Sounds like the personal circumstances you've drawn on were hard going. Hope that using the memory of those feelings to create the song was cathartic (as it often can be).
Regards,
Leon

Hello Leon, a very nice comment on the song you have! But no, the memory was not cathartic, quite the opposite. When I had that hard time it helped writing about it. But singing about it after those years brought the bad things back to me. Why making the song then, one could say? It's what made me and i like the melody a lot. But it's really nice of you to think about it this way.

So thanks again everyone for your nice and good comments.
All the best,

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice Hans. Lots of passion going on here.
Great band choice and very well produced well produced.
Thank you for sharing with us.
Rob4580

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome vocal Hans. One of your best. Very cool lyric. Backtrack was perfect.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Hans you really out did yourself on this one. A super vocal that expressed those lyrics fantastically! Excellent job on that. All of that plus a spot on mix. This has everything.

I didn't get cold but it did put a chill up my spine.

Excellent work!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Scott and Mario,

Thanks very much for your comment on the song.

I hope it won't stay my best song/mix, but it's nice to read that a black, chilly song can reach your standards!
Is your spine all right again, Mario?

Have a nice day,
Hans

Last edited by Birchwood; 06/05/20 05:08 AM.

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Just pure-out internal monologue the way everybody experiences it. I guess. I don't know for sure because it's internal. Complete disrespect for genre, it just goes where it's compelled to and remains as long as it needs to. All the while that twisted La Bamba progression lurking like the Declaration of Independence.

If you can't tell...I enjoyed this.

I'll make a small and rare "mixing" comment. The opening guitar in the left channel is a bit too "loud". I'm not apologizing for that, either. smile

Last edited by Tangmo; 06/05/20 01:00 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, you obviously hit a home run with this one because everyone, including me, loves your vocal on this. I'm a little undecided about some of the changes in the song, they are quite drastic, almost separate songs. If I listen more, the musical side of my brain may come to accept it. But despite this, let me repeat that you knocked it out of the park with this one! Congratulations!!

Last edited by TuneMonger; 06/06/20 06:54 PM.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195